Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Pocket Jones and the Niobium Skull

4 years ago

TRIGGER WARNING: Heads up, I'm your friend. I assure you that all the slurs that might or might not be here are not intended to give vietnam flashbacks or insult you (okay, maybe the irony is intended as an insult, but not the buzzwords). I'm just a spicy latino man that wants to spread meme magic and samba to everyone. :)

I was listening to Tim Maia, Queen and Black Sabbath with my neckbeard buddies these days when I heard the news on TV. It couldn't be, Pocket Man was at it again. His army of white supremacists was burning our beautiful forest.

To those uninitiated, Pocket Man is an evil entity. Once I heard he mansplained at the chamber of deputies and smiled. That day the Kiss nightclub caught on fire and killed billions of gays worldwide.

I was shocked. How could Pocket Man do that? I was so concerned I called my european metassexual friend. She too was full of concern. Hopefully, we joined forces and posted about it all over twitter, where similarly concerned citizens joined in to save the Amazon rainforest. The rainforest fire spread around so much. The world's lungs were burning so hard I immediately felt the effects of the rarefied air. It was suffocating.

But thankfully, our concerned army reached the ears of President Macron. The revolution had won a costly victory on conservative bigots worldwide.

Did you like my story? I'm thinking on posting that on reddit for karma points.

There's an entire megathread on this on r/brasilivre, and I think it's relevant, so I'll post it here so some people won't dodge the argument. Yes, some people play dumb to the links people post and keep polluting my vision with shit I had already directed to the relevant sanitary treatment earlier.

Here we go:

As soon as Mercosul-EU free trade agreement was announced, French farmers start to protest against the free trade agreement between EU and Mercosul because it would be bad for their business. And the pressure on Macron never stopped since then. Irish farmers also reacted over that because of the beef production.

French and Brazilian ties were very bad after Bolsonaro canceled a meeting with Jean-Yves Le Drian. That's the context, now let's go to when the hysteria began: with Macron's tweet in the dry season and how it is a lie.

Image 1

How is it a lie? First of all, it is not a picture from Amazon nowadays. It is a picture from 80's, from a photographer who died in 2003. This is not that important as an argument, but it shows how Macron wanted to make an impact with his tweet, not showing what is happening. The important part is:

AMAZON IS NOT THE LUNG OF THE WORLD NEITHER PRODUCES 20% OF WORLD OXYGEN. Amazon is the lung of Amazon, all oxygen produced by Amazon trees is consumed by Amazon itself.

THE CARBON EMISSION IN AMAZON DUE TO NATURAL TREES DEATH IS ABOUT 86% OF AMAZON CARBON CONSUMPTION. Amazon trees are old and soil isn't rich anymore. Trees being old means that they don't absorve as much as they were used to do and the soil not being as good as it was once means that the relation of trees dying and trees growing is not the same. Density/biomass of Amazon will naturally decrease. The carbon emission in Amazon due to natural death of trees is about 86% of Amazon carbon consumption. The whole Amazon rainforest would absorb 300 million carbon tons more than it emits by year, it is about 9.4% of European Union emission or 5.5% of US carbon emission in the same period.

Untouched Amazon forests take in more carbon dioxide than they put back into the atmosphere. This shows that the Amazon forests help reduce global warming by lowering the planet's greenhouse gas levels.Dead Amazonian trees (which account for around 20% of above ground biomass) emit an estimated 1.9 billion tonsof carbon to the atmosphere each year. In a normal year, the Amazon rainforest absorbs about 2.2 billion tons (2 billion metric tons) of carbon dioxide.  This means that untouched tropical forests act as a SINK for carbon.However, a study from 2015 confirms that Amazon forests have acted as a long-term net biomass sink, but also found a long-term decreasing trend of carbon accumulation. Rates of net increase in above-ground biomass declined by one-third during the past decade compared to the 1990s.  This means tropical forests are becoming less efficient at trapping carbon

WRONG NUMBER IN IMPORTANT NEWSPAPERS

Reuters: BRASILIA (Reuters) - Wildfires raging in the Amazon rainforest have hit a record number this year, with 72,843 fires detected so far by Brazil’s space research center INPE, as concerns grow over right-wing President Jair Bolsonaro’s environmental policy.

Independent: Brazil’s space research centre, Inpe, has detected 72,843 fires in the Amazon so far this year.

The number of fires in Amazon at that time was about 40 thousands, According to INPE:

Image 2

They used the number of fires in the whole country, not only in Amazon region. Brazil has 6 different biomes and Amazon biome is only one of them, again according to INPE:

Image 3

LIE ABOUT IT BEING THE HIGHEST RATE OF THE HISTORY 

CNN: The fires are burning at the highest rate since the country's space research center, the National Institute for Space Research (known by the abbreviation INPE), began tracking them in 2013

We can clearly see at Image 2 that it is being recorded since 1998, according to INPE itself. From 2002 to 2010 every year was higher than 2019 with two exceptions. 2004 and 2005 were the peak of fire in Amazon.

86% MORE THAN LAST YEAR

It's true, but without context. Variation from one year to another is not linear, Europe grew their fires in 300% more than in last decade average while Brazilian fires are at the same rate as the last 15 years according to NASA. We can see at Image 2 how it is not linear, increasing and decreasing from one year to another. 2018 was the 5th lowest year in fires of our history.

SÃO PAULO SKY WAS BLACKNED DUE TO SMOKE COMING FROM FIRE IN BRAZILIAN AMAZON 

BBC: Sao Paulo was blackened for around an hour on Monday after strong winds and a cold front brought in smoke from forest fires burning in the states of Amazonas and Rondonia, more than 2,700km (1,700 miles) away.

Actually, according to INMET, the smoke came from Bolivia and Paraguay, where a forest is burning for more than 2 weeks, probably more than 800,000 hectares is burned there so far, more than the whole deforestation of Brazil in 2018.

FIRES IN AMAZON ARE BAD DUE TO CARBON EMISSION AND SOUTH AMERICA WATER CYCLE, SO WHY FOCUS IN BRAZIL?

Not even a single country from the EU is better than Brazil in carbon emission per capta or per area according to United Nations.

(There was a table with the numbers here, but I'm lazy.)

If the problem is water cycle in South America, why focus in Brazil?

See Image 3.

Brazil is at average rate while Venezuela, Bolivia and Paraguay are the countries in South America above the average due their size.

There isn't anything different in Brazil numbers to provoke a mass reaction as big as how it is being. Conclusion of this mass hysteria linking with the first protests:

EU TO DISCUSS BRAZIL BEEF BAN OVER AMAZON FIRES

"The EU and Finland are urgently exploring the possibility of banning imports of Brazilian beef," Mika Lintila, the Finnish finance minister, announced on Twitter on Friday (23 August).

Emmanuel Macron says he will block EU trade deal with Brazil;

Ireland threatens to block Mercosur trade deal unless Brazil protects Amazon.

Observation: Most of beef production in Brazil is not in Amazon states and it is not the main farm production of Amazon states.

MINOR LIES SPREAD

All following lies were replied by Globo:

Image 4

1st pic: image from California in 2018; 2nd pic: image from São Paulo in 2011; 3rd pic: imagem from São Paulo in 2018; 4th pic: imagem from São Paulo, in 2011.

Image 5

Video from Minas Gerais state, not in Amazon region.

Image 6

Image from Pampas, not in Amazon.

If you don't understand portuguese, google translate and pray to the samba gods.

Oof, copying and pasting this huge fact check was really tiresome. But let's give the finishing touch.

What could Macron possibly want with causing mass hysteria like this?

The answer becomes clear once you take a look at the news...

https://g1.globo.com/politica/blog/gerson-camarotti/post/2019/08/26/onyx-diz-que-governo-vai-rejeitar-ajuda-financeira-do-g7-anunciada-por-macron.ghtml

https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2019/08/27/brazil-rejects-g7-funding-to-tackle-amazon-fires/

https://extra.globo.com/noticias/brasil/bolsonaro-diz-que-so-aceita-ajuda-do-g7-se-macron-retirar-declaracoes-23907154.html

https://brasil.elpais.com/brasil/2019/08/25/internacional/1566742673_646488.html

Now, Macron. What could you and all your great power friends possibly gain from being such a charming enviromentalist and sending help to our poor forest bois? And what motivates you rousing the mob's anger against Pocket Man?

No, it couldn't be. You couldn't possibly be looking to exploit the region and submit it to external control and influence. You wouldn't be looking to do schemes like those employed at Joseon Korea, the Ottoman Empire and Egypt, would you? You don't have any economic interests behind the threat of getting rid of the deal with Mercosul, like a pack of angry farmers, do you?

Nah, it's all Pocket Man's fault. He's an enemy stand user that burns trees 24/7 and makes niobium skulls of the enemies of his evil dictatorial regime.

And yes. Bolso's diplomacy is the most braindead thing in the world. I despise his boomer mistakes as much as I despise idpol idiots and armchair activists.

Thanks for reading, I'll go back to lurking now.

EDIT: More sources for Baguette president Macarron threatens to cancel Mercosul-EU deal:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-23/macron-pulls-support-for-mercosur-trade-deal-over-brazil-fight

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/macron-threatens-mercosur-trade-deal-over-amazon-fires-1.3995540

https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy-environment/news/ireland-threatens-to-vote-against-eu-mercosur-deal/

Why did you add more links?

Because it's 2019.

4 years ago
This is far and away the most effort you've ever put into anything. ....I'm not reading it of course, too many words n stuff.

4 years ago

" AMAZON IS NOT THE LUNG OF THE WORLD NEITHER PRODUCES 20% OF WORLD OXYGEN. Amazon is the lung of Amazon, all oxygen produced by Amazon trees is consumed by Amazon itself. "

How does that make it not the lung?  A lung uses the oxygen that the lung takes in.  And while we're on the subject, why are we talking about just one lung?  You rarely see that.  More to the point, every time you wrote "Amazon" I thought you meant the company.  So I would like to request that you redo this, and change it to "The Amazon" when you mean the rainforest, "The Amazon River" when you mean the river, "Amazon.com, Inc." when you mean the company, and "Xena" when you mean the Warrior Princess.  Thank you for your attention to this matter.

4 years ago

Read that as President Maricon lol

Didn’t really need a trigger warning though, this place isn’t CoG.

4 years ago

Well, President Maricon certainly has my vote.

4 years ago
Endmaster's special brand of dyslexia cuts right to the truth behind words.

4 years ago
Can we talk instead about how disappointed I was that forças ocultas didn't turn out to mean what I thought it did? I wanted to read about the witches that were cursing Brazil.

4 years ago
For real though, I remember all the panic and hysteria over the BP oil leak where everyone was like "zomg the ocean, it's DED!! game over man, game over...." That's all you heard from any news source constantly, but if you looked at actual, easily available facts, there was waaaay more oil than that leaking into the Gulf naturally from underground fissures every year than anything the pipeline could approach. And of course nothing ever came of all the fear mongering and finger pointing. So, I'm naturally skeptical when I hear of these kinds of environmental panics now. Something like forest fires in particular. Forests are REALLY good at recovering from fires, they've been doing that since way before any humans were around to either start them or put them out. Giant swaths of forests burning the fuck down is such a natural thing that there are species that have evolved with seeds that won't even try to grow until a fire comes through. When something is being heavily emphasized by major media sources the first thing you really need to look at is why; what's the result they're trying to get in bringing it to people's attention in that specific way? They'll happily gloss over and downplay major events at any time if it doesn't suit whatever narrative they've decided to push. Remember 2014 when it was looking like we were teetering on the edge of a worldwide outbreak of ebola, right as flu season began with all its identical symptoms? Yeah, a lot of people don't, because it barely got a mention until a dog in Spain got euthanized over it.

4 years ago
Okay so @Nehal should be posting some actually relevant things whenever she gets the time, this is related to her studies and a subject she's interested in.

4 years ago
What's the deal with them trying to force the "Lung Of The World" analogy anyway? It's backwards and stupid.

A lung soaks up oxygen and spits out carbon dioxide. Is that what trees do? If so, then isn't burning down the rain-forest a good thing? Why let the trees have all the oxygen?

A more accurate analogy would have been to call it "The Spleen Of The World."

I mean, so a lung has smoke in it, big deal. It's a common occurrence for smokers every day - but, if your spleen is on fire - now that is some urgent business right there!

4 years ago

No, but in this analogy, *we* are the world, so the trees' taking in nourishment from the air is a good thing for us.  The metaphor is perfectly fine.

References: 

Seuss, Dr. (Theodore Geisel).  The Lorax, Random House, 1971.

USA for Africa.  "We Are the World."  We Are the World, A&M Recording, 1985.

4 years ago
So what you are saying is the world has a smoking problem and "we" are the looming lung cancer if it can't shake the habit.

What we need then is a really big nicotine patch. Slap that thing on the rain forest.

We can beat this thing!

4 years ago

Look it doesnt matter global warming is gonna kill us all by 2050 and i wont beb able to live half as long as my father. Thanks to my dads generation

4 years ago

I sure hope so if you're an example of your generation.

4 years ago

Nothing we can do about fate!!

4 years ago

Please commit not alive in a painful manner.

4 years ago
Please, have some compassion you skipped right over the belt and everything.

4 years ago

Damn, I forgot about that part. 

BELT!

4 years ago
But what's her name says we only got 12 years tops. That's 2031 or some such.

4 years ago
I think we should just pee on everything.

4 years ago
Unorthodox approach, but with enough determination I suppose that would eventually put out the fires.

4 years ago

I was assuming Cricket just meant we should do that in general, always.

4 years ago
Bit of both really. One leads to the other.