Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 5/25/2021: new comment to replace old one, low priority

Ability to edit reviews

2 years ago

Have you ever clicked submit on a review and immediately remembered that you forgot to mention a key point? Have you ever reviewed a storygame after playing one path and had more to add after playing the rest of the paths? Have you ever written a review that was perfect except for one glaring typo? I think it would be quite useful to be able to edit reviews rather than posting an entirely new one when you reach the End Game and Leave Comments page. That way, you can add to your review without cluttering the story with multiple reviews or even just polish the wording of your previous review upon rereading it as one is apt to want to do.

Ability to edit reviews

2 years ago
If you want a duplicate review removed, just message me about it.

I'll wait to see what others think about this. In theory it could be useful, in practice I'm almost certain someone at some point will go in and secretly edit all their comments to 'nigger poop.'

Maybe if it could be implemented in a way that only allowed edits for 24 hours after posting or something similar?

Edit: expanding on this a bit more, the way I see it, fixing typos or clarifying points would be extremely handy, but if someone's completely changing the content that might as well be posted as a whole new review.

Maybe letting people delete their own old comments and replace them would be more practical and basically accomplish the same thing? (With a confirmation of course to prevent oopsies with a thousand word review.) Added benefit is that the author would actually see the new comment, while an older revised version one would just stay buried.

Ability to edit reviews

2 years ago
Yeah, opening that up somehow is almost guaranteed to get poop as a featured comment. I like the idea of deleting old comments, that seems the quickest and easiest way to allow someone to change their own comments. And I don't see a lot of drawbacks to people deleting their own comments.

Ability to edit reviews

2 years ago

Sure there is. If you let the plebs delete their reviews, you can't lord it over them that they sucked your dick at one time before they get pissy with you for some unknown reason.

Ability to edit reviews

2 years ago
lol

Ability to edit reviews

2 years ago
Delete & recreate sounds good to me. It's rare that anyone posts twice in comments, so I don't think losing the ability to do that as a side-effect would really be a problem. I think if we can pre-populate the textbox with your previous comment, it'd be pretty reasonable.

Ability to edit reviews

2 years ago
Wouldn't it be more practical to just have a delete button by their own reviews? The same one admins already have by everyone's.

What you're talking about sounds more complicated to implement and also potentially confusing for users who may not realize it works that way.

The option to delete a comment is what seems to have been agreed on here, not having them deleted automatically. And I don't see any reason to do extra work to limit anyone to just one comment, that seems like it would almost need its own suggestion thread.

Ability to edit reviews

2 years ago
Also if they're just wiping the old comment and replacing it, wouldn't that still be the same thing as allowing stealth edits? Or do you mean it would delete the old comment and post the replacement as a brand new one at the top of the list again?

Just let them do a couple of clicks to do that manually if they really want to imo.

Ability to edit reviews

2 years ago

To add on to this, you should be allowed to change your rating of a game. If you misclick or fat-finger the wrong rating, you can't go back and change it. Authors also update their games on some occasions, so that's another scenario where changing your rating could be useful.

Ability to edit reviews

2 years ago
You can simply rate it again.

Ability to edit reviews

2 years ago

This is annoying and borderline painful with older games that don't have endings at deaths.

Ability to edit reviews

2 years ago
Save the game at the end.

How often does this come up anyway?