Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hi!

2 years ago
Hi everyone! I'm new here. I joined this website because I have been interested in interactive stories for a long time and also because reading helps me to learn English (I've been learning english for 4 years). Any tips?

Hi!

2 years ago
Hello!

Best tip I and many others have is to read the highly rated stories on the site, to get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

Good luck!

Hi!

2 years ago

Hi welcome !

The best tip here is reading. Reading stories to get what should be expected when writing one. Reading forum posts here and there to get how the community is and how to interact properly. Reading articles in the help section to get how the website works. Good luck. :)

Also if you you're learning English, what is your native language ?

Hi!

2 years ago
Thanks! And my native language is Spanish, i'm from Argentina, thanks for asking!

Hi!

2 years ago
Oooh.

Why, I know for a fact that Argentina is @Darkspawn's favorite country.

Hi!

2 years ago
Can confirm

Hi!

2 years ago
Welcome to the site. You have many i's in your name.

Hi!

2 years ago
Welcome!

What EggMan said was pretty spot on. Spending some time reading the storygames--both high and low rated--will give you a good idea of what the community is looking for and common pitfalls to avoid. And be sure to rate and leave comments too. That not only shows the authors that someone is paying attention, but you'll accumulate points that give your ratings more of an impact once you have enough. (They're also useful as fees for entering contests and the like.)

We encourage critical feedback and blunt honesty here so don't be shy about that. If you're the kind of person that likes to leave detailed reviews that's probably the quickest way to get noticed and get some status around here. The site is geared towards the experience of readers and reviewers above all, and your ratings on a game help determine whether it stays published or not. (Which I think is the main thing that separates it from others and keeps a healthy amount of honest feedback coming in.)

The forums have very little censorship and most here are veteran shitposters that have been here for years. It can be a good idea to lurk, especially if you're not good at identifying sarcasm and mood due to being a non native speaker, or for other reasons.

Hi!

2 years ago
@Oriii

I'd also recommend you go to Brad's profile here to get the site extension for Firefox or Chrome: https://chooseyourstory.com/Member/?Username=bradindvorak

This will let you enable dark mode from your profile, and have multiple quicksaves and other features aside from just modernizing the look of the site a bit.

Hi!

2 years ago

Greetings Orii!

You'll do fine on the forum as long as you aren't a spastic ten year old spammer or a creepy fetish writer.