Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

Was hoping if some people could review the first page for the book im working on, since ive never really wrote anything before, i tend not to be the best judge of literature. Its hard to tell if im being too critical or not critical enough, so all advice is welcomed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sky was the color of old bruises again today, but I didn't mind. I skipped along the cracked sidewalk, careful to avoid the puddles that shimmered with rainbow slicks of oil. My best friend, Lira, followed close behind, her laughter like tinkling bells in the heavy air.

"Look, Lira! Another wishflower!" I pointed excitedly at a patch of weeds growing from a fissure in the concrete. The plant's bulbous head pulsed with a soft, bioluminescent glow – a mutation that had become common in the lowlands.

Lira's eyes widened with delight. "Make a wish, Vex!"

I closed my eyes tight and blew. The wishflower's spores scattered in a glittering cloud, each one a tiny point of light drifting on the breeze. Some people said breathing in the spores could change you, but I wasn't afraid. I was going to be a scientist, after all.

"I wished that I'll find a cure," I announced proudly. "For everyone. Even Old Man Gribble with his funny arms!"

We giggled together, remembering the fruit vendor whose arms had stretched like taffy, letting him reach the highest branches without a ladder.

As we rounded the corner, we saw a group of grown-ups huddled near the entrance to the underground. One of them was crying, her sobs muffled by the hoarseness of her voice. The air was thick with the scent of decay, mingling with the tang of chemicals. In the distance, the domes gleamed like false promises, their mirrored surfaces reflecting a sky that had long forgotten the color blue. Dense fog, heavy with pollutants from the nearby factories and machinery, clung to the streets, obscuring the horizon. I felt a twinge of sadness, but it quickly faded as I turned back to Lira.

"When I'm big, I'm going to make everyone better," I declared, puffing out my chest. "No more ouchies, no more changing. And we'll be able to go up to the shiny domes and see what it's like!"

Lira's eyes crinkled with a smile. "Promise?"

I held out my pinky, clean and unchanged unlike some of the other kids in the city. "Promise! Cross my heart and hope to fly!"

"Race you to the lab!" I shouted, already running ahead. My feet splashed through puddles that reflected a sky that hadn't been blue in years, but in my mind, the future was as bright as the wishflower's glow.

Lira caught up to me at the corner of Twistleaf Avenue, where the buildings leaned together like tired old men. We paused to catch our breath, watching a group of workers shuffling past. One man's skin rippled like water with each step, his movements labored and painful. Nearby, a woman's face was marred by lumpy growths, obscuring her vision and causing her to stumble. Children with twisted limbs and hunched backs played in the streets, their laughter masking the underlying struggle.

My jaw clenched as I watched the scene, my eyes blazing with a mix of determination and frustration. "This is why Dad's work is so important," I said, my voice low but intense. "We can't let this go on. There has to be a way to stop these mutations, to give everyone a chance at a normal life."

Lira squeezed my arm reassuringly. "And that's why we keep fighting, right? Your dad's research, my parents' mission... it all matters. We can't give up hope."

I nodded, drawing strength from her words. "You're right. And speaking of not giving up..." I gestured towards a cheerful storefront just ahead, its windows steamed up from the warmth inside. "I think we both could use a moment to recharge. Marta's muffins always help me think clearer about the next steps."

As we approached, the aroma of fresh bread and sweet pastries wafted out, a stark contrast to the harsh realities of the street. Lira's bioluminescent freckles glowed a little brighter in anticipation.

"You know," she said, "your dad's not the only one trying to make a difference. Marta's bakery... it's like a little spark of joy in all this darkness."

I grinned, pushing open the door. "You're right. And who knows? Maybe the secret to saving the world is hidden in a mutaberry muffin."

The bustling bakery was indeed a haven of warmth and delicious aromas. As we entered, Marta, the four-armed woman behind the counter, greeted us with a friendly smile that seemed to chase away the gloom of the outside world.

"Well, if it isn't my favorite little scientist!" Marta exclaimed, her wide smile crinkling the corners of her eyes. "What'll it be today, Vex? The usual mutaberry muffins?"

I nodded eagerly. "Yes, please! And maybe... do you have any of those glowroot cookies left?"

As Marta chatted with me, Lira drifted towards a group of disheveled men huddled in the corner, their voices low but excited.

"I heard there are vast seas out there," one whispered. "Water as far as the eye can see!"

"That's nothing," another added. "They say there's a world so large, you couldn't walk across it in a lifetime. And the people there... they're not like us. No mutations at all!"

Marta noticed Lira's interest in the customers and leaned in towards me, her voice lowering. "Your friend seems quite taken with those men sitting there. Be careful with such talk, Vex. The enforcers don't like people getting ideas about the outside world."

I glanced at Lira, concern flickering across my face. "I know, Marta. It's just... Lira's always been curious about what's beyond the walls. Especially since her parents..."

Marta's expression softened. "Ah, yes. Poor child. It's not easy losing family to the unknown." She paused, then added gently, "How's your father doing, Vex? Still working all hours in that lab of his?"

"Yeah," I replied, my voice a mix of pride and worry. "He says he's close to a breakthrough. I just wish he'd take more breaks, you know?"

As Marta handed over our treats, Lira rejoined me, her eyes sparkling with excitement. "Vex, did you hear what they were saying? About the world outside?"

I thanked Marta and turned to my friend. "Lira, we should be careful talking about that stuff..."

As we left the bakery, Lira spoke again, her voice filled with resolve. "Someday, Vex, I'm going to find out what happened to this world. I'm going to see what's beyond those walls with my own eyes."

I smiled at my friend's enthusiasm but felt a twinge of worry. "It's dangerous out there, Lira. We don't know what we'd be facing."

"That's exactly why we need to go!" Lira insisted. "There's so much being kept hidden from us. Don't you want to know the truth?"

I hesitated, then asked softly, "Is this about your parents, Lira?"

Lira's expression darkened, her freckles dimming slightly. "Partly," she admitted. "I need to know what happened to them. Why they left."

I nodded, understanding. Lira's parents had been part of a resistance movement against the dome-dwellers, fighting for the rights of those in the lowlands. They had disappeared three years ago, leaving Lira in the care of her aunt.

"They were trying to find a way past the walls," Lira continued, her voice barely above a whisper. "They believed there were answers out there, maybe even a cure for the mutations. But the enforcers... they came in the night. My parents managed to hide me, but they were taken. I haven't seen them since."

As we left the bakery, Lira took a bite of her muffin, savoring the taste. Then she turned to me, her eyes filled with determination. "One day, Vex, we're going to find out what's really out there. I promise."

I opened my mouth to respond, but the distant hum of an engine caught my attention. I glanced down the street, my words forgotten. "Wait, is that...?"

As we rounded the corner towards my father's lab, a sleek hovercar appeared, descending gracefully from the direction of the domes. It was a rare sight in the lowlands, and I tugged on Lira's sleeve excitedly.

The hovercar was a marvel of steampunk design, Polished brass pipes snaked along its sides, emitting soft puffs of steam that dissipated in the air.The vehicle’s body was adorned with intricate, swirling engravings, and its undercarriage glowed with a soft, amber light. Large, propeller-like fans on either side of the car rotated smoothly, keeping it aloft with a gentle hum.

As it landed, the hovercar's mechanical legs extended with a hiss, setting it down gently on the cracked pavement. The door slid open with a whisper of hydraulics, and out stepped a tall woman in a crisp purple button down shirt,  paired with a well-fitting black skirt, Her look completed with tinted purple circular shades. Her skin was flawless, her expression hidden behind the shades, giving her an aura of cold detachment. Behind her, a group of domedweller enforcers emerged, their reflective armor glinting in the dim light of the lowlands. They moved with synchronised precision, surrounding the woman as she approached.

As Dr. Corvus and her entourage strode towards the lab, I felt a flutter of excitement mingled with apprehension. "Maybe she's here to help with the cure!" I whispered to Lira, trying to convince myself as much as her.

But as they drew closer, I noticed the furtive glances exchanged between the grown-ups on the street. Lowlanders quickly ducked into doorways or hurried past, their eyes downcast. I didn't fully understand why, but the look of fear in their eyes sent a shiver down my spine.

Just then, the lab's entrance hissed open, and my father emerged. Jules Hemlock was a bear of a man, his lab coat stretched tight over bulging muscles—a side effect of his own brush with the mutations. His face broke into a wide grin when he spotted Lira and me, momentarily forgetting the approaching delegation.

"There's my little scientist!" he boomed, scooping me up with one massive arm. "And Lira too! Come to help your old man save the world?"

I nodded enthusiastically, my worries temporarily forgotten in my father's warm embrace. "We made a promise, Dad! We're gonna fix everyone!" I often thought of my mother, lost to the mutations when I was just a toddler. The memory of her gentle smile was my guiding star, pushing me to find the cure no matter the cost.

My dad's smile faltered for just a moment as he glanced at Dr. Corvus and the enforcers, who were now watching us with unreadable expressions. But then he was grinning again, setting me down gently and placing a reassuring hand on Lira's shoulder.

"Well then, let's get to it!" he said, his voice carrying a forced cheer. "But first, there's someone I'd like you to meet."

He turned slightly, revealing a small, hunched figure that had been hidden behind him. It was a boy about our age, but his appearance made both Lira and me gasp softly. The boy's skin was a patchwork of textures—fur, scales, and something that looked like tree bark. He blinked at us with kaleidoscope-like eyes that seemed to shift and swirl with every movement.

"This is Zain," my dad said softly, his voice gentle and warm. "He'll be staying with us for a while. The lab is... helping him."

Dad knelt down, his expression softening as he spoke to Zain. "You're lucky, kiddo. Your mutations don't cause you pain yet. Many aren't as fortunate." His voice was tender, but the words carried a weight that made me shiver.

Before I could respond, Dr. Corvus approached us, her sharp gaze landing on me. "Vex, is it? I’ve heard a lot about you," she said, her voice smooth but carrying an underlying chill. "How does it feel knowing your father is at the forefront of a revolutionary cure? Do you understand the weight of what he’s doing?"

I stared up at her, taken aback by her directness. "I—I just want to help," I stammered, trying to make sense of her cold tone. "We’re trying to make things better for everyone."

Dr. Corvus’s eyes, hidden behind her tinted shades, seemed to scrutinize me intensely. "Ambitious for one so young. But ambition alone won’t be enough. You need to grasp the full scope of the world’s problems if you’re to make any real change."

Her words made me uneasy, but before I could think too much about them, Dad clapped me on the back and smiled at Dr. Corvus. "We’re making progress, and that’s what matters."

Dr. Corvus’s lips curled into a subtle smile, though it didn’t reach her eyes. "I’m sure you are. But remember, progress comes with its own set of challenges."

Dad’s smile faltered as he glanced at her and then at the enforcers, who were now examining the lab’s contents with a mix of authority and suspicion. He then turned back to us, his expression resolute but tinged with concern.

"Well then, let's get to it!" he said, forcing a cheer. "Vex, Lira, why don't you show Zain the greenhouse? I'll join you soon."

I nodded eagerly. "Come on, Zain! It's really cool!"

As we hurried away, I noticed the enforcers watching us closely. I felt a prickle of unease, but Lira's hand in mine gave me strength. We led Zain to the greenhouse, a place where the air was a bit cleaner and the plants glowed with the same bioluminescence as the wishflower.

"This is where we work on finding cures," I explained. "It's like a magical garden!"

Zain's kaleidoscope eyes reflected the glowing plants. "It's beautiful," he whispered.

Suddenly, the sound of heavy boots echoed down the hallway. I turned to see two enforcers advancing towards us, their visors glinting ominously.

"Children, you need to come with us," one of them ordered.

My heart raced. "Why? We didn't do anything wrong!"

The enforcer's grip tightened on his weapon. "Orders from Dr. Corvus. Now move."

Fear flashed in Lira's eyes, but she held my hand tighter. "Run!" she shouted.

We dashed through the greenhouse, weaving between the glowing plants. The enforcers chased after us, their heavy boots crashing through the delicate foliage.

"Quick, this way!" I led them through a hidden door at the back of the greenhouse, one I had discovered while exploring with my dad. It led to a maze of maintenance tunnels.

As we ran, the sounds of pursuit grew fainter. We skidded to a halt near a vent, peering through it to see the lab below. My eyes widened in horror.

Dr. Corvus and Dad were arguing in his office. "You’re withholding critical information from us, Hemlock," she said, her voice cold and precise. "You've been conducting research, hoarding your discoveries for the lowlanders. The Council won’t stand for this deception."

Dad held his ground. "The people here need the cure more than your council needs another tool for control. The domedwellers can’t keep the lowlanders down forever. I’m doing this for humanity’s future."

Dr. Corvus’s lips curled into a sinister smile. "You’ve overstepped your bounds, Jules. And now there will be consequences."

She pulled out a sleek, silver device, shaped like a narrow syringe gun with a small, transparent chamber filled with a glowing, iridescent green liquid. My eyes widened as she aimed it at my father.

"Dr. Corvus, you can't—" Dad began, but his words were cut off as she pulled the trigger.

The device emitted a faint hiss, almost silent, but the dart struck Dad’s chest with deadly precision. He screamed, a sound filled with raw pain and terror, as his body convulsed violently. The green liquid pulsed through his veins, turning his skin a sickly hue as the mutagen spread.

I gasped, my heart pounding in my chest as I watched my father collapse to the floor, writhing in agony.

Dr. Corvus turned to the enforcers. "Find the children. They cannot be allowed to escape."

Tears streamed down my face as I turned away from the vent. "Dad... no..."

Lira grabbed my hand, her voice trembling yet firm. "We have to keep moving, Vex. For your dad."

Fueled by a mix of grief and determination, we ran through the tunnels, the enforcers' footsteps echoing behind us. The labyrinth of passages was our only hope.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
@mrcrimsonclean

The thread is over here now!

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
Sad story. :( I did read the whole thing and want to know why these mutant people are eating mutant food, so you have me interested.
Lira's freckles do not seem very stealthy.

Regarding Dr. Corvus' introduction, the narration seems a little unclear on whether Vex knows Dr. Corvus or not. We learn her name, and he mentions her maybe helping with a cure as if he knows who she is, but his response to and interactions with her don't really seem familiar.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

Thanks for the advice! Why are they eating mutant food? Becauss theres nothing else available! Everything is mutated on this world! Or dead. (Except maybe beyond the walls/lowlands who knows). So ll probably leave that for later chapters. Liras freckles are endearing. They're her entire personality, hence they will never leave. She was never meant to be an assassin anyways.

Hopefully this is one of the happiest pages in the book, I want it to get super fucked up on some pages and paths you choose. 

I can see the problem with Dr Corvus and whether not he knows her, I'll try and add more smoothness and clarity there too. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

Dr Corvus is gonna be such a Dom mommy, definitely thinking I should make a route where we hate fuck her. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
Why are you so horny?

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
Why are you so horny?

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
Genetics like this can't die with me.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

What does this mean? Oh never mind, ignore me, I get it now. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

Pffff, you'll see, it'll be wrote well and with actual sense, if I choose to do it. It won't feel odd or out of character.  If Anything, it'll be Dr Corvus being the rapist, I decided. 

Also not horny, I'm a good boy. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
"If Anything, it'll be Dr Corvus being the rapist, I decided."
You may not have experienced this, but it is actually possible to fuck someone and not have EITHER of you be rapists.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

I mean I guess; given your suggestion I'll try and make an actual Dr Corvus love route. Although a darker path, there shall be. A Dr Corvus love route sounds so hard to do, but it's a challenge I'll accept. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
Ah, yes. The only two reasons sex happens. Love and rape.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

You forgot money! But yes, typically speaking. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
If you don't want to spend the rest of your life with your Tinder date, you damn sure better pay her or you're going to prison for a long, long time.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

I want you to flesh this out more. If you believe theres better ways for the plot to progress in this manner, please enlighten me, since im always looking for ways to enhance the narrative.  this story is going to have many routes, some where you dont even see dr corvus again after this incident. 

Youve motivated me now to definitely take this path in some manner, your abhorrance to the idea and lack of belief that it can work will just fuel me to make it work, so it will be done. Your indicement that i must have been raped or be a rapist with no experience in love beyond that is both asinine and gross, you'll have a special feature someonewhere too, im sure.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

Well you know what they say, you either die a rapee or live long enough to see yourself become the rapist

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
What I'm saying is that it doesn't have to be all or nothing if you want a Dr. Corvus sex scene. I initially thought it was odd when you worded things like, "If Anything, it'll be Dr Corvus being the rapist, I decided." If you want someone to be a rapist, that's fine. It is your story, and you are the author. It just seemed like you were assuming SOMEONE had to be when earlier you were talking about hate-fucking.
Then your alternative was a straight-up love route. People have sex for reasons other than love and rape (or money) all the time. It's just weird that you see sex as having such limited motivations when hate-fucking is actually a great example otherwise. Hate-fucking is not rape (that would just be called rape!). It's definitely not loving either. It's angry and passionate and lustful and maybe even sadistic. It's twisted, not because it is unwanted, but because it IS wanted.

Anyway, if you're going to be horny, then don't limit yourself to an imaginary binary. I look forward to my special feature someonewhere.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

fair enough, criticism noted -  ill try my best to ensure nuance in their interactions. With that being said - heres my short draft for your character in my story so far: 

name: Daji the seer

build: frail and hunched with a gaunt face

skin: wrinkled, translucent skin that exhibits her bones and veins underneath. 

hair: long, wispy and silver, falling all over her face in disarray 

eyes: white and milky giving her a blind but otherworldly gaze

clothing: Clad in tattered dark robes adorned with strange symbols and trinkets made from bones and feathers, she exudes an unsettling aura. 

Personality:

Daji delights in sowing confusion and fear, often using her visions to play mind games with others.

Speaks in riddles and cryptic phrases, making it difficult to discern her true intentions.

Harbors a deep-seated resentment towards those who wronged her in the past, and takes pleasure in seeing others suffer.

background: Shunned by society and left to wander alone, Daji eventually took refuge in a secluded cave filled with strange and arcane artifacts. It is said that she can see into the hearts and minds of those who seek her out, revealing truths that they might not be ready to face. Her powers, however, come with a twisted sense of cruelty, and she often uses her insights to manipulate and torment those who cross her path.

Any improvements that you'd suggest? To me, shes quite a well written character. You'll play quite a big part in the story in some routes you take with this character being your representative. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

I'll stop bullying you daji, i feel mean. I do like that character design though, but ill give you something more considerate of your feelings. You'll be a mother figure for the main cast in a more "positive" route that you can take, and a good one at that. You'll like it, promise. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
I should probably point out that on the (tbf, somewhat difficult to access these days) storygame guidelines page, it does have a rule against using site members as characters without permission.

Although, I guess her last post does seem to imply consent (Although not love or hate) just be aware she can always veto that later, so maybe it would be simplest to just not do this weird thing you guys are doing

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

-_- that sucks, could i not just change the names if she vetod it? i dont think she would veto it, because again im gonna be nice.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
I'm fine with most things as long as you don't have a character based on me be in any weird sexual situation within the story (love, rape, or otherwise).

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

Im glad you liked that character design aswell. Once and if mizzy decides to give confirmation I'll add that character to my story. Obviously if a name change isn't enough Ill have to pass on giving you a feature, sadly. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
Honestly, I think your first idea suits me better. I'm not sure I want to have your idea of a mother figure based on me.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
dommy mommy

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

mizzy mizzy, please answer, is it allowed or not? I can not allow you to become my writers block. You're always free to have a feature too, if you wish. Just as long as you give me some guidelines for your character (elf ears I imagine?). 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
Please stop calling me mizzy, between this and Ravenic's "Miss Mizal" this is also turning into a meme.

I mean personally I would think it would be more efficient to just focus on what's necessary to your plot and not worry about special guest stars. But Daji gave permission on the first idea you had so just go with that. At worst you'd just have to change the name anyway, but she seems fine with it.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

Boooo, mizzy flows off the tongue so well though, but very well, have it your way. I don't think it's possible to push the plot forward without first fleshing out my characters and their distinctive personalities, since for it to feel alive in their interactions during the plot development they must feel individual and unique. You can be pretty important In the story, not just a weak cameo. Do you want to have a role inspired by you, or not interested? 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
There's already a Wizzy, so unfortunately the addition of any new -izzys would create confusion.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

True, you've convinced me. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
Okay, fine. I want my character to be an alchemist in a tower performing dangerously unregulated experiments. She should have a sort of dragonish looking little lizard familiar that crawls around on her arms or snoozes on her head like the one in my original avatar.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

okayyy, I can definitely work with that! What sort of personality and mannerisms does she have? What's her motivation for her experiments? Once I know that I know which faction she will belong to. Of course I'll add her pointy ears too - a side effect of her brush with the mutations. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

Mizal, The Alchemist

Appearance:
Mizal's most striking feature is her pointy ears, a lingering reminder of her encounter with the mutagen plague. She often ties her hair back in a practical style, keeping it out of the way during her alchemical experiments. Her skin has a subtle shimmer to it, hinting at her mutation without being overtly obvious.

Mizal favoures a well-worn long coat riddled with pockets, sturdy boots that have seen better days, and thick gloves to protect her hands. Various stains and marks on her clothing tell the story of countless experiments and alchemical mishaps.

Perhaps most intriguing is Mizal's constant companion, a small dragon-like lizard named Merlin. This creature, a product of her alchemical prowess, possesses enhanced intelligence and shares a telepathic bond with Mizal. Merlin serves as both assistant and friend, often perched on her shoulder or scurrying about her workspace.

Personality:
Mizal's intellect is her defining trait. She approaches the world with an analytical mindset, constantly seeking to unravel its mysteries. This drive for knowledge often leads her to push boundaries, both in her work and in her interactions with others.

Her independence is noteworthy. Mizal relies heavily on her own skills and knowledge, often to the point of isolating herself from others. This self-reliance has made her incredibly resourceful, able to create powerful concoctions from the most unlikely ingredients.

A healthy dose of skepticism colors Mizal's worldview. She questions everything, from established alchemical theories to the motives of those around her. This critical eye serves her well in her work but can make her seem aloof or dismissive in social situations.

Mizal's passion for alchemy, particularly in relation to mutations, borders on zealotry. Her personal experience with the mutagen plague ignited a fervent belief in the potential of mutations to create a superior race, aligning her closely with the ideology of the Spire Cult.

Despite her passion, Mizal often comes across as detached and coldly pragmatic. She values results over emotions and is willing to make difficult decisions in the name of progress. This approach has led to significant breakthroughs in her work, but at the cost of personal relationships and, at times, ethical considerations.

Heres my short draft for your character - aswell as a bit of a character study! youll be part of the mutant route, where you use your concotions to make your allies stronger. If theres anything youd like to change, feel free to let me know. Very proud of this one though.  I'll try and make you more multidimensional than is stated here though, of course. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
This all seems really good to me, similar to what I would've posted if I had been around a real keyboard.

Just going to add the same caveat as Daji though, no sexual situations. Although it doesn't sound like anything was planned.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

Glad to hear you like it! I definitely wouldnt do any sexual scenes with site members, that would probably make us all want to commit sepukku from the cringe, so you have my word there. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
Didn’t Alien have some sort of meltdown during the prompt contest about how he couldn’t write a story without making his characters first and then he never ended up writing anything anyway, or was that somebody else? I’m getting a crazy sense of deja vu here.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

I'll finish it. I'll feel too worthless not to if I don't. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
https://chooseyourstory.com/forums/writing-workshop/message/29887#892096

This thread was the point where people started to realize he might be a little strange.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

To be fair, he had a losers mentality to begin with, he already accepted that failure was an option - which means he was destined to fail. 

Also, If you don't give me some personality details for your character in the next 4 hours, I'll draft it up myself. I'll try and make her as how I perceive you - personality wise. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

Not enough rape. Add more.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

I'll take your words into consideration. Jk jk lol

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
Dude, what the fuck is wrong with you? Rape is not a joke, for fuck's sake!

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

Where is the rape joke? Many movies and forms of literature have rape scenes, that doesn't make them bad movies and nor does it make a mockery of rape - so I sincerely hope I'm just miss understanding your joke here. 

It's fascinating that humans often assume the worst when there's gaps in language or consistency in stream of thought. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
Obviously you think it's pretty hilarious when you lol at Avery's suggestion to add more rape! I bet you're the kind of guy that makes prison rape jokes to your friends. It's just a fucking joke until you drop the soap!

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

I guess it was just poor communication on my part, but I didn't intent for it to come across as loling at her suggestion, but more so my way of politely declining the suggestion (which was obviously her joking too) Which is what the jk was for. My bad if it offended you, I'll be a bit more careful from now on and think them through

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
Bold of you to assume Avery was joking.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

Lol.. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
Lol, I was just messing with you. It takes a lot more than that to offend or upset me.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

You... You got me good. Lol

I was wondering why I was the only one being called out. I didn't say anything but I was like "why am I the the one being scolded and not daji and Avery too" 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
Why would I be scolded at all?

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
You look different, did you do something with your hair?

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
I'm surprised you noticed! I've been washing it a la South Pacific.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

Scolding Daji is illegal.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
It's a woman thing. You wouldn't understand.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
I usually think of rape as a device to create a sickly feeling in the stomach and a bad taste in the mouth of the reader. Some key aspects to creating those feelings with a rape scene are guilt, fear, anxiety, and a sense of disbelief. Rarely does one have to describe the sexual act in any detail so long as you describe the inner struggle and show the outer struggle of the rapee.

Tightening thighs, flexing toes, cold shivers, and a sickly feeling that the rapee's own actions have caused the scene often make readers spit in disgust if done well. As readers we are aware it's the rapist at fault. However, if you consider the rapee's perspective, you can put a sinking feeling in the stomachs of most of the average non-autistic audience. This gross feeling is now a tool in the authors' toolbelt to use later for greater emphasis or emotional connection in other setups.

You could get creative and go from a rapist perspective and still end up with similar feelings in the reader if you can get them to sympathize. This is tougher to do and I think creates a more flimsy connection or at least not as sharp of a tool without a lot of extra work on either side of the rape scene that I personally would find annoying to weave into palatable buildup / wind down.

I've not written any purposeful rape scenes before, but I have read a few accounts from people who have been raped. It's a lot of "I'm sorry" and "I didn't know" which leads me to believe there's quite a lot of anxiety, self blame, and answer-searching for the rapee.

I left this post for nearly a full day in a background tab and I'm not reading it or the OP so I hope I concluded something in it.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

I see, that's some pretty good advice. 

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

Rape does leave a bad taste in the mouth... Tehe.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago

You're so silly

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
Commended by Mizal on 7/28/2024 7:29:23 PM

Anything for the lols around here.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago
I appreciate your dedication.

Raping advice/critique

one month ago