Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

The 2006 Contest Results!

17 years ago

Thanks to everyone who participated in this contest: A-Bowl-Of-Rotten-Pie, Anubis, creatorofgp, DarthVader_13, Deven711, EvilLlama, Fleshnblood_78, Griffin, Gwanty_Smoth, jamestkirk, java, JJJ-thebanisher, Kazbar, Leon101, madglee, Miccy2000, primates, pucky18, Sethaniel, SilverMan, Simpsons, Sir_Lancegalawain, SuperStoryMan, and tsmpaul. We played each and every single storygame and got together this evening to talk about and decide who we thought was the best. Here’s our take.

Best Overall: $50 + 250 Experience Points

Mommy, Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight?

Mommy, Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight? was nothing short of amazing. Every aspect of this storygame was done well and done right: the story was compelling, the characters were convincing, the gameplay was fun, and the attention to detail was superb. From the custom-font image headings to the character stats selection to the careful selection of images, everything was very well done and very professional looking. It is truly a masterpiece!

Note: This story contains graphic violence, sexual images, adult situations, and drug use. If you are too young to handle this sort of thing, please do not read the story. If you are old enough, please do take the time to check it out – it’s one of the best (possibly even the best) that we’ve seen to date.

Best Use of Advanced Features: $50 + 250 Experience Points

Mommy, Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight?

We really didn’t expect to have the same storygame win two categories, but in the case of Mommy, Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight?, it was clear: the advanced features utilized on this game surpassed all others. Not only did madglee hit every single feature (and hard too, coming in at 50 scripts, 68 variable, 26 items, and nearly 400 link modifiers), but these were all very much hidden from the end player. It did not feel like we were playing a game; we were immersed in a story, albeit a very advanced, interactive one. Again, highly recommended!

Best Classic Storygame: No Winner :-(

D’oh! Though there were some fun ones, we just didn’t feel that any of them came close enough to “Contest Winner” quality. We were really looking for something along the lines of Magus: Betrayal. Hopefully, next time!

Runner-Ups: $35 + 100 Experience Points

The Tower – JJJ does not disappoint with another one of his excellent storygames. We all really liked The Tower. It offered a unique combination of traditional book style (i.e. page numbers), nifty surprises, and some strong gameplay.

ULYSSES: Episode One – This was an amazing space adventure/mystery with an incredibly strong story. It was a real “page-clicker” (heh, heh) and we were constantly eager to learn more and get to the bottom of the mystery. In addition, the artwork was great and gave it a very “spacey” feeling.

Honorable Mentions: $10 + 50 Experience Points

Surviving School – we all enjoyed this. It was very funny and, had it just been a bit longer and more polished, it would have definitely made the Best Classic storygame.

The interrogator – how can you go wrong with a video-based Choose-Your-Story? Kudos for giving the format a shot, and we really hope you try it again. Just use WMV format next time.

The Journey: A True Inspirational Australian Story – Love the original artwork for items =-). The story and writing were fun, but we got stuck two times in the five year old fight. Perhaps we didn’t have the needed objects?

Again, thanks for making the storygames everyone, and congratulations to the winners. If you won, please contact me via private message to arrange award delivery: Mailed Check (will need your name and mailing address), PayPal (will need your paypal email), or Amazon gift certificate (no info needed – will reply back with giftcard code).

17 years ago
Sweet, What Do I need to do?

17 years ago
Congratulations, guys and/or girls!  I can't say I'm surprised at the winners!

17 years ago
Cool! Thanks a lot for the praise! :)

17 years ago
I wish I could somehow print this out so I could keep it on my computer and figure out how to make it into a book-story.

17 years ago
Congrats to all of the winners, and sorry that the Arcade Game wasn't finished in time!

17 years ago
Congratulations to Madglee and JJJ! And great work for the Honourable Mentions as well!

17 years ago
A very big congratulations to all members. And for those in the honourable mentions and unmentions, i wish you luck in the future!! and its great that you are making games! (i sound like PR :P)

17 years ago
Hold on... Since when is it the 2006 contest?

17 years ago
Oh sweet! I won something!

17 years ago
Maybe my sequel i'm working on will actually WIN the contest. (yeah i wish)

17 years ago
Oops, i mean the next contest.

17 years ago

sweet, 50 exp! lol

nate

17 years ago

two questions though...

my game, The Interrogator, was a duel effort with redstorm. do we  both get 50 points or 25 a piece? either is fine with me, points dont mean much. but just asking. second, when will those "rewards" be put up, i really dont need the money, but i may need to ask redstorm if he wants it. not to mention, if its sent to me, i most likely wont get it, ive recently moved and we dont have a mail box yet lol

nate

17 years ago

dang, i just read the bottom of your post AP. sorry lol. ill talk to redstorm and see if he wants the money.

nate

17 years ago
Well thanks oh so generous Alexp.  And Congrats to madglee :D

17 years ago
Thanks triple J!

17 years ago
Noproblemo

17 years ago
Hey guys, thanks for the check. Wanted to tell you though, that you accidentally wrote 10,000 instead of 100, so I cashed it anyway. Rofl. J/K. When do the prizes get awarded?

17 years ago

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

AHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAH

17 years ago
Huh how did I participate?

17 years ago
You published a game between the given dates... duh...

17 years ago
oh yh lol!

17 years ago
I cant wait for the muuuulah :D

17 years ago
Congrats 3J and Madglee! Congrats to the others aswell!

17 years ago
with the curencery exchange, thats about $40 JJJ! lol!

17 years ago

AYYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYA

... LoL.

17 years ago
Wow, in $AU, $10 becomes about..... $11! Woo!

17 years ago
which is a 10% bonus. Not too shabby.

17 years ago
Yah, totally.

17 years ago
I wonder how long the money will take t oship ::P

17 years ago

couple o' days depending on when alex sends it...

17 years ago
It was sent on thursday or Friday

17 years ago
you will probably get it on monday or tuesday....

17 years ago
Got mine today.

17 years ago
Mines international though ;P