Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 4/5/2014: http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/feature-wishing-well/message/1222

[Forums] Someone has replied to your post!

16 years ago
Note:
This feature was originally accepted on Sep 19 2007 5:41PM, but was subsequently demoted to "New" in The Feature Wishing Well Clean-out.

The acceptance comments were A very good idea - way better than the email follow up though it could take some work. Well thought out Anubis. (25 points) march
I think that instead of sending an email (which doesn't work) to a member whose post has just been replied to, there should be one of those announcement things like how it says "You have 1 new private messages*!". It could be like a green color scheme and say Someone has replied to your post! It won't have to be recorded like the announcements that come with new RPS symbols, just something that goes away like the New PM announcement. It'd just make it a little more convenient.
To expand this, it'd say (on the page that appears after clicking the announcement) in what threads someone has replied to you. This way, if multiple people replied to multiple threads, it'd be more flexible.
Now for the examples!

Let's say you've posted a post in a thread called "Bush sucks." Then someone replies to that. It'd immediately (or at least within a few seconds) send you an announcement thing that says "Someone has replied to your post!" Once you click that announcement, it takes you to a page that says who replied to your post in which thread.

Here's another scenario:
Let's say you make a post in "Bush sucks" and then turn off your computer to go to bed or something. When you turn it back on, you see that "Someone has replied to your post!" and you click the announcement. You see that bob, someguy23, and n00bhax0r have all replied to your post in "Bush sucks" and appear on the list in that respective order.

For the ending of each scenario, you'd click on the link to the reply and it takes you to the "Bush sucks" thread.

The list format could be modeled, essentially, exactly like on the forums page.

Just an idea to make the forum process a little more convenient. Kinda like the flushable toilet and toilet paper. Truly the two best inventions EVER.

Someone has replied to your post!

16 years ago
Sorry for the http:// stuff. I tried to copy and paste the into the title.

16 years ago

Hey, that's not that bad of an idea! I like it.

16 years ago
Also, if it gets annoying, you can turn it off at the profile editor page (Account tab).

16 years ago
this would be so awesome to have! then when im writing in a game, im not in it for hours while a whole topic goes on in the forums, in which i miss almost all of it cuz i switched over to teh editor.....

16 years ago
Welcome to Anubis's thoughts:

Sweet! I'll finally have on of my suggestions accepted!

It's no secret I haven't gotten many of my suggestions accepted. But I hope this one does!

16 years ago

All you have to do is turn on the recent forum activity on in my stuff.

riley

16 years ago
This'd be more convenient. The Recent Forum Activity shows everything that has been posted in the forums that you have posted in, even in threads that are too old to reply to. If that gets fixed (see my post from about eight months back) then sure, this should be combined with the other one.

But yes, having a notification would be good. The actual notification could go to the Recent Forum Activity page (if its fixed) instead of a separate one.

16 years ago
I'm really just suggesting the little reminder announcement thing at the top, coupled with an interface page to get to which threads you want.
And you should be able to reach the Thread selector that I talked about where you go to whatever thread; that should be reachable so you can return and get to different threads. More flexible that way.

16 years ago
Go anubis!

16 years ago
I think this is great!

16 years ago
Yeah that's a good idea. I think March said something about revamping the whole way the forums are coded in the near future.

16 years ago
Does near future mean 2030? lol

16 years ago

This is a good idea.  I'm going to accept it and run it by alexp.

march

11 years ago

Thinking further, this exactly implementation is challenging. But, i do think we should get some sort of forum reply notification. I remove the (non-working) email notification when redoing the forums...

should we bring back email?

should we use the Notifications system (which is like, Duel win/loss, that sort of thing)?

11 years ago

"Bush Sucks"....nice thread idea.... brb , making new post.....

11 years ago

I'd find it annoying to have the notification box show up every time somebody replies to one of my posts, but that's just me. Providing forum notifications could be turned off I have no problem with this becoming a feature.

11 years ago

Agreed. We're small enough that I don't think we need this feature.

11 years ago

I wouldn't mind this feature, provided it was optional.

10 years ago

Yes! I love this idea! But what if you had an option to turn on the announcements for each section of the forums (like The Lounge, Forum Games, etc)? Or even better, a little butt on on each of your posts that you could press to make the announcements pop up, and a page in my stuff where you can manage them (and by that I mean turn them of for different posts without having to go to the actual post)?

10 years ago

Yuck!  I would find this feature completely annoying (as it would be a constant bombardment, based on the amount of posting I do on the forums).

Please DO NOT implement this without an option to turn it off.

10 years ago

Of course you should be able to turn it off, I just want the option to have it. it would really help with forum games.

10 years ago

Im neutral. Since most of the time im on the forums so its no use.

10 years ago

I support this

10 years ago

I'm the same as Berka and why exactly was this revived? This thread is 10 months old. 

10 years ago

I don't know, some guy came over here shouting about dogs and necromancy and peanut butter, and revived this, and then his comment disapeared

<,<        >,>