Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Doseki, our blind resident.

16 years ago

Hey guys, I don't know if you've encountered the user: Doseki.  He hasn't written anything yet but he's on often enough.   He's pretty normal except for he's blind.  He uses a piece of software called Jaws which basically breaks the screen up into partitions with lots of shortcut keys and reads everything aloud.

He's really cool and I encourage you to say hi if you see him online.

16 years ago

Yeah I read his profile. The software he's using sounds interesting.

I was wondering how he plays video games like Fable actually. I didn't know there was a way to translate something action related like that so that the blind could enjoy them too.

16 years ago

That I have no idea. I'll ask him when he replies to my message.

16 years ago
Hi, doseki here.
Sorry for not being more active on the forems as of yet. I've onistly just been a little too lazy and busy to get around to it but I am really looking forward to getting to know all of you and starting some storygames of my own soon. I told JJJthebanisher this already but for most action 3d games such as fable, oblivion, etc I often need a fare bit of help for to be able to play completely. Fable is one of the easier ones because of directional sound E.G. a hob attacks you from the left you here the sound of him out of your left speaker or headphone. Also there is autotargeting if you hold the left trigger it autotargets the nearest thing of interest for example if you pull out your bow and pull back the bowstring, you can hold the left trigger and it'll autotarget the nearest aggressive enemy. However more complex games like oblivion are much more difficult to play and I require a lot of help and often prefer to simpley watch my friends play it if they are good at describing it and allow me to give suggestions like how about we join the dark brotherhood or complete this quest and so on.
Anyways I'm happy to be a part of this community and I look forward to becoming more active on this site.

16 years ago
dude, i dont care who you are, oblivion is freakin hard! lol but ive said hi to you before in PMs, we talked about the Sword of Truth series of books, i believe. if not then welcome. if you need any help in anyway, about the site, assistance, let us know. my name is Nate.

16 years ago
I agree; its a tough game.

16 years ago
Hi, doseki! (I love oblivion!)

Why does everyone think this game is hard, anyway?

16 years ago
I don't think the game itself is hard just a bit hard to play when it comes to getting around  the huge world and getting things done.

16 years ago
i cant accomplish alot of the different missions, i keep getting put in jail or killed by the guards, or i just get lost. also, a glitch i found was one morning i helped a guy clear his field of bears. when i arrived at his house to collect the money he locked me into his house lol. only after he returned could i kill him and take his keys. i couldnt get out lol

16 years ago
Ya the game does have a fare number of glitches but I'd rather play a game with lots of glitches that's really cool like oblivion then a boring game with no glitches, although a game without glitches that is really cool is the best lol. Anyways thanks for the warm welcome I sometimes have difficulty with socializing because of my disabilities and this seems to be a place where people aren't as picky about al those social rules everyone's supposed to follow lol.

16 years ago
Thats for sure.  Too much "flaming" wont be tolerated but other then that; you pretty much do as you want.

16 years ago
Y'know, my friend said this, too. (about keeping on getting put in jail, not about the bears. . .)

Try not stealing from people?

As for getting lost, a lot of times the arrow will kinda help you, but I agree sometimes I get to Vilverin or wherever, and I can't find the entrance to the dungeon. The best thing to do then is go to the map and Quick Travel to Vilverin. Usually it will put you outside the entrance.

16 years ago
Welcome!

16 years ago
Hello, and welcome to CYS.

16 years ago
Thanks silver man.

16 years ago
thanks th*mage*of*kings.

16 years ago
Awww but steeling from people is so much fun! lol Ya they somehow manage to figure out that you're the thief usually if you leave witnisses around the best way is to steel what ever it is when the owner's sleeping, sell it somewhere else and it'll be far away from you where no one will suspect you of being the thief. I like things like this that make the game so exciting all the realism they put into it.

16 years ago
The most annoying thing ever is when you kill someone behind closed doors and the guards just "know".

16 years ago
Ya, but you'd figure someone would find the body not to mention the smell it is true that they seem to notice right away though and they'lll chase you accross the entire map if they have to I think.

16 years ago

Sometimes; depends on your bounty.

16 years ago
Usually you can get away from them eventually.

16 years ago
Yeah or pay half to the thieves guild; but its friekin annoying.

16 years ago
In Fable, your bounty eventually goes away. . . and it doesnt' carry over to other cities.

16 years ago
always wanted to play fable. but its xbox exclusive aint it? bummer. my PS3 better pick up some good games soon or im gonna scream.

16 years ago
I think you can get it for PC, too.

16 years ago
Yeah I'm pretty sure its just microsoft exclusive.

16 years ago

If you’re going to get Fable, make sure it’s Fable: The Lost Chapters. You get all the extra content and it wraps up the storylines. I got that one for the PC.

16 years ago
Oh yeah- PC only has the Lost Chapters version, I think. I always wondered what that thing was outside the adventurer's guild that looked like the back of a demon door.

16 years ago
In re: the wonders of The Elder Scrolls--

My one friend in particular just keeps saying "Why don't we just play a pencil-paper RPG like Gurps or Hackmaster? You want *real* freeform, open-ended gaming? You want detailed NPCs with in-depth characters? Let's just make up a game for ourselves."

He's got a point.

16 years ago

Still; elder scrolls isn't half bad.

16 years ago
There's a few problems with pen and paper games though. The mane one is you need a really good dungeon master to invent the story as you go along. In oblivion you never know what's going to happen next unless you've already played it. Another thing is in oblivion you can actually see the amazing landscape and here the music and the sounds of battle and so on. This is why I eventually got sick of muds they're fun especially if you get a good one but it can get dull when text scrolls accross your screen all the time.

For example:

You slash the monster hard for 10 damage.
The monster punches you lightly for 3 damage.
You slash the monster lightly for 3 damage.
The monster is dead!
You recieve 20 experience points.

Things like this get dull after a while and it is hard to get a good dm who can think up creative stories and quests off the top of his head.

16 years ago
I love to dungeon master because of the creativity and enthusiasm it requires.

16 years ago
I agree with your friend sethaniel
I have a semilarge group of people (mostly my Dad's friends and coworkers) that play dungeons and dragons with us (me and my dad) weekly

I don like oblivion and things like that but they just don't compare.
The only problem is that if you don't have someone experienced teach you, it's hard to learn
also Wizards of the coast (the people who make DnD) aren't very good at organizing their books, or finishing them really, but once you develope agreeable house rules to fix that the games are really quite fun

16 years ago
*I DO like oblivion
sorry bout that typo

16 years ago
I like the gurps system for roleplaying. It's easily adaptable to whatever scenarios you want to make, and the sourcebooks are really good.
My usual group is pretty story-heavy, so we like the flexibility of the rules.

16 years ago
Ya I just generally like a story that has some real plot to it without being too linear like oblivion. There's the over all problem of the oblivion gates opening all over the nation, but there's several other sidequests and things some of which indirectly have something to do with the mane story. DND can be really good, but from what I've heard on video websites and listening to friends play it usually isn't too creative. I think it all depends on the DM, if the DM is good then the game is good. Although the players play a role in that too.

16 years ago

The players are more important then you may think.

"Dm'ing" for a bunch a' losers is boring. 

16 years ago
Oh, or spending hours setting up a really great adventure,  and then the players don't get the hook, or won't play along with the intro, or just completely miss the point.

(Hey, there's a KODT about that.  [See other forum thread])

16 years ago
My dad tends to DM for Our group and he is a fantastic DM, He comes up with a bunch of great adventures that are awesome (i could give them to some one who wants em)  He also makes it all in one world, so if we have a period where we don't play for like a year, and start new characters, he gives gradual references to how our previous characters affected the towns.

Plus I agree that the players are a big part, lots of people try to make there character the strongest they can, without worrying much about the characters personality, and not role playing too much...I've found that a crappy character with good roleplaying makes for a much better game than a strong character with no roleplaying

16 years ago
Man I am seriously craving some D&D now

16 years ago
Every friday for me (also some sundays)
also i curse the media for ruining DnD's image!!!
also also In my adventure I have my own keep that i got out of the deck of many things

HOORAY!

16 years ago
I'm literally thinking about teaching it to a few afriends and starting up an itense storyline.

16 years ago
You should...

16 years ago
Yeah, definitely.

16 years ago
Problem is... I can totally seem them just goofing off like prototypical teenage "boys".

16 years ago
Oh totally.  I played a campaign once where a thief PC got caught stealing from the weapon shop, then decided to go back and kill the shop owner in revenge.  A PC mage tried to stop him, and got killed in the attempt.  The mage's dead body was then raised as a zombie slave by a necromancer PC.  So the mage player's new character was a paladin on a holy quest to kill necromancers.  And it got worse from there.

16 years ago

Thats bad.

So we started and so far so good. We've had a few hours of playing time but mainly character creation.

3 characters, 1 dm.

Fighter, Assassin (Thats a weird class, never played D&D with that) and Magic-User.

really cool, hand made map probably about the size of a decent sized desk.

16 years ago
Assassins can be bad news.  The players like to think that evil alignment allows them to get away with some wicked stuff.  You have to remember to give them a reason to stay with the party.  But, they can also be a lot of fun, if the player understands that it's not necessarily a competition between them and the other PCs.  (Or the GM.)

Last time I played, the (scripted portion of the) adventure ended with the assassin taking the treasure and leaving the rest of the party to die, trapped at the bottom of the dungeon. 

16 years ago

That sucks!

But the reason I've givin is that this party has grown up together and have family allegiances (even though their not related)

16 years ago
That's a pretty good backstory.    What's the first adventure you've got lined up for them?

The other main member of my group really likes the story element of "people who were best friends, and are now bitter enemies," so we get a lot of that happening.  (I've been playing one campaign for about ten years, real time)

16 years ago
Wow, whenever my dad DM's he usually forbids anyone playing evil characters(sometimes if you talk to him privately he'll accept it tho)  because we have a few players who would just play an evil character and ruin the game, but just randomly attacking the party, or not role playing well.  But other than he'll let us play any character, one of our party members is a kobold, and my dad has some killer campaigns, currently our group is stealing from dragons.

16 years ago
Ya I'd play more DND if I could get together with a group.
Hey any of you have skype? That could be used for DND I guess or a chatroom. It's just hard to do it on msn it's much easier to actually talk rather than type to each other.

16 years ago
If you had vent you could talk playing Dnd, it's just you'd have to trust people when they tell you what they roll

16 years ago
True or have one person role for everyone.

16 years ago

First adventure is journeying to a city ....

can't tell more then that as they both have accounts on this site.

16 years ago
Yeah? Are they active members?

16 years ago
Hunter23/Jimby

16 years ago
That was a pretty cool avatar you made for Hunter.

wow, this thread has totally gone off track, hasn't it?

16 years ago

If I get some inspiration for one, I'll make you another.  And yeah I guess it has, although Doseki is still part of the discussion and he enjoys D&D so one can argue that it hasn't.

I hate it when an important player cancells at the last moment and can't come.

16 years ago
Ya don't worry about the changed topic I really don't mind.

16 years ago

Wow, I guess the inspiration for another avatar came, eh seth?

And Doseki, where have you been buddy? :)

16 years ago
Yeah, except I just realized something (since this is a very long thread)

With the old avy, the bright pink backdrop made it easy to find my posts when scrolling through the thread.  This one, while awesome, is harder to pick out while the text is running.

hi again, doseki!

16 years ago
Well: I'll make ya a new one :D

16 years ago
Done, hopefully you like it.

16 years ago
Ya sorry for my absents I've been quite busy in the last few weeks with the Ontario swimming championships, my birthday, and I just got back 2 hours ago from a trip to quebec with my sister so there's been a lot going on. I have the next week for the most part off though so unless something unexpected comes up I'm around.

16 years ago
Were you watching or performing in these championships?

16 years ago
Been awhile since I been on the forums. Never knew there was a blind person on here. Man, I would hate to be blind, it would suck for me. Videogames are my life, I would have probably killed myself. I'm glad you can take it,lol! Must suck to be blind though still. Well, blind or not, I'm looking forward to reading some of your stories.

16 years ago
It isn't as bad as you think really, although it can be annoying. For example I recently found out about a really cool game called dwarf fortress which didn't use graphics anyway only to find out I couldn't play it and the dev said it would be far too difficult to make it accessible, but there are plenty of games I can play. I mostly play rts and rpg games with a few action titles my favourites being oblivion, call of duty 4, mass affect, fable, and the legend of zelda series. I have however had some problems with story development lately as my computer has difficulty reading some of the buttons and edit boxes. I'll keep working at it though even if work is going along a little slowly.

16 years ago
Performing, but it isn't as impressive as I first stated sorry about that. It was only for kids from 14 to 18 in Ontario and I was in the section for blind swimmers of which there were 28. I came in third, but again not so great as I'm the slowest swimmer on my team by about 20 seconds and most of the blind people swimming had mental problems also.

16 years ago
Still - Super impressive.

16 years ago
Thanks. I have now moved onto rock climbing which I prefer to swimming as I'm much better at it. And I'm happy there aren't any competitions for rock climbing as being timed on all your races and being compared to everyone else constantly can be grating on my nerves.

16 years ago
Isnt that super dangerous?

16 years ago
No not really you're held up with a rope attached to a harness so no problems as long as the guy holding the other end of the rope is lighter than you are. I once had to hold up a guy about twice my weight and when he slipped and fell off the wall I was hanging in the air and he was on the ground. Lol the teacher I heard got into some trouble for it.

16 years ago
Yeah that should never ever happen.

16 years ago
Oh it was no problem really infact it was a little fun. And the teacher's usually pretty good didn't spend the first 5 hours going over hundreds of safety issues. That becomes quite tiresome after a while.