Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

The Shack

15 years ago

The Shack by William Paul Young.  Anyone read it?  Love it?  Hate it?  I for one haven't read a book with such enthusiasm since I discovered C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity.  I whole-heartedly recommend it to anyone.

The Shack

15 years ago

ive yet to read it. ive heard major differences in opinions about it.

great writing.

misleading.

false statements represented as fact.

enjoyable.

so i have steered clear of it. however, tell us a bit more about it then. give us a synopsis of it: plot, mode, setting, theme, underlying messages...etc.

nate

The Shack

15 years ago
or... you could google it.

The Shack

15 years ago

Lol.  Well, there are lots of different opposing opinions about it.  There are people like Eugene Peterson (author of The Message Bible paraphrase) who say it's basically the best thing for Christian literature since The Pilgrim's Progress, and then, like flesh said, there are those who say it's misleading and all that.  If I haven't already made this clear, I'm pretty close to Peterson's view, but I think it is important to remember when reading it that it's a novel, not a theological treatise--it should be read for enjoyment and enlightenment, not as a complete or authoritative exposition of biblical truth.

That said, the story centers around a guy named Mack whose youngest daughter Missy is kidnapped, later found to have been brutalized by a serial killer in this shack in the middle of nowhere.  This causes The Great Sorrow to come over Mack and he struggles with how a God who is supposedly good could allow such a thing to happen to someone so innocent.  Then he gets a note in his mailbox, apparently from God, telling him to visit him at the shack where Missy was killed.  So he goes.  And he meets God.  All three of Him.  And this is where Young starts to lose people.  God the Father is represented by Papa, a rather rotund black woman.  Jesus is... just Jesus.  A Jewish carpenter in his early thirties.  The Holy Spirit is represented by Sarayu, a mysterious Asian sylph... thing.

The novel mainly follows Mack's dialogue with the three members of the God-head, and the things they say about relationship versus religion, expectation versus expectancy (you'll have to read it to see what that one's all about), and the way that God and man interact with one another are the things that have drawn criticism.  Some say Young is spot-on, others say his work is at best misleading and at worst outright heretical.  In any case, it's found a huge following among those disillusioned with the church, and I guess I was one of those people, so I found it hugely beneficial.  I'd say more, but I want to leave some of my comments for later.

The Shack

15 years ago

nothing like public forum conversation 3j. i know about the book. i dont need to google it. but if a thread is started about it, it doesnt hurt to continue discussing it.
nate

The Shack

15 years ago
Instead of asking him to make a write-up on it, you could have googled it and gotten the results, and posted them here.

"I know about the story, but give me the run-down."
If you need a run-down than how can you not need to google it? Google would provide a run-down without lance needing to type all that out.

I don't think he minds, but it's the idea that counts.

The Shack

15 years ago

well...since this is the forums and we have the right to talk and discuss what we want...the idea kinda sucks.

nate

The Shack

15 years ago
Well then either you're a sadist or you don't understand the idea.

The idea is that instead of forcing lance to type that much, you could have googled it and posted it here. The idea is courtesy.

The Shack

15 years ago

sigh.... the purpose of Reading Corner is to "Discuss your favorite books." its extremely hard to discuss, and quite frankly pointless, to discuss by only copying and pasting from google. besides, Lance has proven he can type alot. if he didnt want to talk about it, he wouldnt have posted it. get over it.

nate

The Shack

15 years ago
You can discuss the book if the summary is posted from google. . .

The Shack

15 years ago

now who is splitting hairs lol. must everything be a battle with you? 

nate

The Shack

15 years ago

He didn't force the guy to type all that.  rte is clearly the kinda guy who is more than happy to talk about his religious beliefs.

The Shack

15 years ago

EXACTLY!

nate

The Shack

15 years ago

Lol.  So I'm guessing no one has anything else to say about The Shack.

The Shack

15 years ago

as with most of the books posted on here, its extremely hard to find someone else who has had a profound experience reading the same book.

nate

The Shack

15 years ago

Yeah, I guess so.