Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago
Does it bother you when you read a story where there seems to be no naming convention?

The worst, to me, are stories where some of the people have names like Alexander, and others have names like Aldrazar.

That would be okay if they came from different countries or some other reasonable plot explanation. But most of the time authors seem to have no problem mixing made-up fantastical names with English names.

I also notice when almost all the characters have Celtic names like Aidan and Gwydion and then suddenly there's a Rebecca. Why is there a Jewish name in the middle of what is apparently Ireland/Wales?

Fantasy Names

13 years ago
Yeah, it's super annoying. I'm not sure if I'm guilty of that myself, but it is extraordinarily frustrating. Quicktip: http://www.behindthename.com/random/

Fantasy Names

13 years ago
Conversely, when everyone has, for example, Japanese names even though the story does not appear to be taking place in Japan.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

I would not recommend you associate name with country or culture. That isn't the purpose of it. It is true that some names have a meaning behind them, and others do not, but that doesn't mean one is fantasy and another is from reality. As fantasy comes from thoughts, real life names does too. Just because a particular name is commonly used in real life does not make it any less a fantasy name in a story. You just have to not apply real life associations with it, for example, Joseph. Even if we don't know the origin entirely, we mostly familiarize that as we would a religious connotation.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

i agree with erudite, if you dont like exotic names mixed with names that are common in the real world, then im sorry. authors have the right to use whatever names they please on any character they please. its best when the name works with the character.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

I gotta go with Eurodite on this one, naming is up to the author. If they said "You were born in a small village in Ireland" then I could see the confusion, but when it takes place in a fictional realm, the writer has complete creative freedom.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago
So it really wouldn't matter at all to you if, for example:

You were born in the tiny village of Holbeck, the northernmost town in the province of Exeter. You had four siblings: Robert, Richard, Katherine and Takahashi.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

Not to me personally, but I can't speak for everyone (not that you asked me to)

Fantasy Names

13 years ago
Maybe the character's mom had an affair with a traveling japanese sailor...

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

Sailor? obviously his father...

Fantasy Names

13 years ago
Well I assuming the village is medieval "english" in nature. Robert, Richard, Katherine are all probably from the same father. Takahashi is from a different guy, who I'm guessing is japanese. He would also have to be a traveller/explorer/merchant/sailor of some sort since I'm also figuring he isn't native to Exeter.

Of course we don't know what the character's name is, so for all we know you're half japanese too and Takahashi is your full brother.

Or maybe mom just got around and you got four siblings from four different fathers. (at least 5 altogether, three english, one japanese, and your own, whatever nationality he was...let's just say atlantean for fun.)

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

That's hilarious. Whether you intended it to be or not, it was. However, I think I would have to agree with the OP here. It severely annoys me when you have an Axera, a name pulled from the recesses of your imagination, mixed with common names that you hear nearly every day.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

lol I was suggesting that the sailor was having an affair with the mother rather than the father, you know, making a troll sailor joke. And I mix names by using those that come to the top of my head and pitting them against each other, much like gladiators.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

I don't really pay attention to where names come from or not - usually I'll use a naming convention in the sense that I'm using names that I think sound good together/fit the landscape well, but I don't go "Oh, I've got Eisaga here, that means I can't use the name John". Made up world = made up naming conventions. It's at the author's discretion, but yeah if it's something extreme like a Kyoko in a family of Janes and Emmas then it's somewhat annoying.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

Have you ever considered using that as comedic relief? Like, "He was sitting with his brothers, Billy, Bobby, Bubba, Bucky, Bo, Brian, and Chang. Chang always was different, he is small for his age and rediculously good at math, sometimes you can't believe he is your brother."

Fantasy Names

13 years ago
Generally I'm pretty terrible with names in the first place. Fantasy settings especially.

Half of the time I pick a few regular names that seem like they might be okay to use in the setting, the other half of the time I end up making up names just by stringing together letters and if it sounds alright, I use it.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

It took me three minutes to think up my latest name, made me feel stupid

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

I think you guys are taking my words and just ignoring them, aren't you? Oh well, either way, I don't mind if you had a Takahashi in where everyone was Emma, Jane, or Bubba. I mean, all you really have to do is explain how each name is exotic and how they come about it. For example, Taka could mean the sun in your story, hashi could mean stone. Em could be short for Emrau, a mystical creature and Ma signify protection or protector.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

or takahashi could stand for a japanese dude, and emma could stand for a spoiled chick with daddy issues, guess it depends on interpretation really

Fantasy Names

13 years ago
Okay, that's funny.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago
I agree completely, it screws with continuity when you've got all these random names popping up with totally different origins. If you're gonna name him Takahashi you might as well name him Epsilonbot Mk III. And I forget who said it, but Joseph is a biblical name, Joseph and his Technicolor Dream Coat? It's Semetic in origin.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago
Next fantasy story I'm making, the main character is going to have a dragonborn sister called Harold Mizaki.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago
Oh, gosh. I did that play in high school. 'Course, I went to a Christian school, which was likely why, but still. That play was one of the best ones I did.

Anyways, that was so super off topic. On topic, I'd like to say that it sometimes bugs me. If all the names fit to a system but one, and there is no explanation for that one, it's super duper annoying. If they are all kind of over the map, then who cares? That's the author's choice, obviously.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago
If it suits you to make a naming scheme, then do it. If you're not up to it, don't worry, just know it might turn the audience off to your story a bit. In my High (hehe) Fantasy story, I keep all the names as if they fit in the same world. Also, it is acceptable to use names from another source? I play quite a bit of game called DotA, and for Gods and Godesses, I've been using character names from DotA. It's not meant to be unoriginal, more of a tribute to the game I love.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

Lol my school did that play too, not a christian school though

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

Ya, I'm okay if it turns a few people off and gets me a five rather than a six, but I'm gonna do it anyway. At least, I hope people don't go "Jared's sister's name is Agathe (The French equivalent of Agatha)!!!!! I need to give him a one because that obviously means that his story sucks!". But ya, as long as they don't do that, I'll be fine.

This situation is completely hypothetical and is in no way breaking ThisisBo productions copyright agreement.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

I highly doubt anyone would do this, but it was funny to read about haha.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago
Pretty much I just think that if you go around having people name Elanwy, Aris, Chrysia and Frank its going to rip the reader right out of the story and break the suspension of disbelief. I want to feel like I'm in the story, and I don't feel it as much as when I'm going off to talk to Frank, because I could just as easily have a friend named Frank in real life. I wouldn't necessarily rate based on that, but at the end of the story, I'm probably going to just feel like I enjoyed it less because I could never really get into it.

Having said that, sometimes real names actually fit into the sounds of the characters you already had. Like, I wouldn't mind having someone named Erin in that story, because even though its a real name it does flow with the other characters names.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

In one of the fantasy stories i'm writing, the main characters are Trickula Beram, Sheela Beram, Choron Slou, and Charlotte Garbonni. Charlotte isn't from the world that the others are from, she's from our world. Hence the regular name. But there's a cursed wolf named Macey. Even though it's a normal name, it can still be in the odd world in my opinion.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago
That's precisely what I mean, fergie. That kind of thing I am perfectly okay with. I just don't like it when the name seems horribly out of place. I don't even really like it when made up names seem out of place. Like if most people have soft sounding names with lots of S, E, and Rs in it, and all of a sudden there's some guy that's supposed to be from the same place named Krogg. Its just weird, and it throws me right out of the feeling of the story.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

In my own writing getting just the right name that sounds just right is something I tend to sperg about to an almost ridiculous degree, it doesn't bother me so much when I'm reading and I come across a Charlotte or Nathaniel mixed in with fantasy names, though Bob or Frank for instance might be a little silly. Lots of made-up names are pretty silly if you think about it (the Apost'Rophes trend in particular tends to bug me) and lots of boring, common real world names come from really diverse places, most with interesting meanings and origins.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

If you think about it, we have weird names in our history. Sophocles? Pluto?

Fantasy Names

13 years ago

Plato* Haha, I didn't the mean the planet or the dog from Mickey Mouse.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago
Yes, but in context, Sophocles fits. His contemporaries had names like Sophilus, Pericles, and Euripedes.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago
kind of. but at the same time, if you're looking for geographic and historic accuracy, fantasy is not your best bet.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago
Also you can get around the weird name mixture by making the fantasy nation or city a multicultural one. That's what I tend to do anyway. When you've got fantasy races like orcs and elves living in the same city together, having humans with names like Frank and Dimitri in the same city isn't really a stretch.

Fantasy Names

13 years ago
Good point. I probably wouldn't have a problem with that too much either. Just so long as it fits.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

I'm planning on making the green installment of my series (If I ever get finished with this one!) about elves, and the names would be based off of stereotypical Native American last names (greenleaf, surebow, redcloud, etc.), does that sound ok?

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

hey, it's your story.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago
To fit under what we're talking about, yes so long as they're all named like that.

Its not so much about what -kinds- of names you have, so long as they all fit the same kind. I wouldn't even mind a fantasy story where every character is named something like Greg or Frank or Alice, if everyone was named that.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

You mean you're not inventing your own elven language and translating those names from English?

Pfft.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago
Mizal, I was literally about to hit reply and post nearly word for word what you wrote haha.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago
Hahaha... Nope, not really. Only some great (and possibly crazy) few ever go through that much trouble. The rest of us just slightly alter names they get from fantasy name generators :P.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

and often both lol

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

eh, I'll leave that to the novel writers, or when I get more experienced. This is only my first story, and It think that green will be my third, so I might go through the effort, but I doubt it. At one point I want my fantasy world to be unique, but on another I want it to be easily identifiable with the audience. If they picture elves as a bunch of hippie/Native American ecowarriors (possibly from the names, just thinking hypothetically) or BA warriors trying to defend their way of life depends on them.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

Well, they do sound interesting. Personally, I always make up names. When I was younger I made up a weird language and confused my friends. For example:

Sheeka la coma lombre escieon. Wran branour mew ka plourde.

I just said "This is my language. Can you decipher?" So, with that odd language, I just say a random word, alter it, and make a fantasy name. Or, like Zikara said, altar regular names. Like I got Choron from Connor.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago
More often than not, this is what I do. In one of my stories I have someone named Arek. Originally it was Jarek (changed from Jared) then I decided I didn't like the J and dropped it. Now it seems like an entirely new name, even though I only changed one letter and took out another.

I also sometimes just say random syllables out loud (sometimes in a light whisper to myself) until something sounds right. Like how I came up with the name Zikara forever ago.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

The names in my current story I just blurt out and see how they sound, even if it does attract weird looks on the bus...

Fantasy Names

12 years ago
Damn. I literally just laughed out loud at your comment, and then my boyfriend looked at me like I was crazy. Its contagious, Bo, this attracting weird looks. You've infected me with it :'(

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

well you see what the person next to you thinks when you just blurt out FERI for no apparent reason. and you will grow to disregaurd them eventually, trust me lol.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

HA!

Bo, are you a stand up comedian? You always seem to make someone laugh!

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

Aspiring lawyer, actually. I just apparently think in a funny way.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

Comedy should be your 2nd job.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago
Names are actually one of the very last things I do when I'm writing. I come up with everything and write it out, then I give the characters names. Until then I use random placeholders, like Protag 1 or Benvolio. Depends on my mood. I have a whole thing written out somewhere and all the characters still have Shakespearean names. I have problems with coming up with names.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

I get names from experience and imagination. Like I know a guy whose parents did not give him a middle name he choose to become. John Freedomrider Johnson. Yes an actual person in real life is know to the government by Freedomrider. I swear I will use that just to make people laugh.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

Hmm. That is odd.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago
That is kinda the point.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

Yeah. I meant to emphasize on the "is" part. Oh, that is odd!

Fantasy Names

12 years ago
Anyone else have a comment on poor Mr. John Freedomrider Johnson.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

Which is weirder, John Freedomrider Johnson, or Cranda Broomstrow Wickerson?

Fantasy Names

12 years ago
Hahaha.... Those would be pretty awesome names.

I hate my actual name. Sometimes I think about changing to something ridiculous (and something that people can actually spell correctly... I didn't have my high school transcripts for TWO years and had to put off going to college, because someone typed my name in wrong into a computer and it came back saying I wasn't in the system and I didn't have transcripts....)

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

I don't like my real name either, so I changed it to Bo. Not officially of course.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago
Head to head:

John vs. Cranda- no contest, I've never heard of anyone named Cranda.

Freedomrider vs. Broomstrow- Broomstrow- F is at least two real words, whereas "strow" is not a word.
Johnson vs. Wickerson- again, never heard of anyone named Wickerson.

CBW takes it by unanimous decision.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

Well my person is real so I win in that category.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago
I felt like she suggested Cranda because it was a real person too. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

Won't know until fergie logs on.

Fantasy Names

12 years ago
Or after she logs on until she notices that we're talking about her...

Another reason why I think she might not be psychic. :P

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

I knew you were talking. Wanted to see what would happen. And Cranda is a real person!

Fantasy Names

12 years ago

Ok well I will humbly accept the loss.