Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Hello hello hello! As the topic suggests this thread will be about your ultimate plan for surviving the imminent zombie invasion that may or may not happen in our lifetimes. So users of this site I humbly ask you to outline how you expect to survive should a zombie outbreak occur.

To put it simply: wat's ur zombie planz?

And btw purposely infecting yourself to infect/eat/kill someone you don't like doesn't count. Besides if that is your zombie plan then i think you might need some help.

My zombie plan will be revealed if people show interest

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Plan 1: Bullet in the brain. This would only happen if I'm positively sure that there is a zombie outbreak (as in zombies in the yard). Most of the long-term plans I've heard that sound half-way possible are plans I'm not cut out for.

Plan 2: Bass Pro Shops. As Ugi knows, there is a large Bass Pro Shops fairly far away from any residential nieghborhoods. If I lack the courage for Plan 1, I'll make my way there as quickly as possible. There is enough food in the shop portion alone to feed a group of 3 or 4 people for months, let alone in the storage portion. There is also a large amount of guns and ammo in the store (For those of you who don't have one, BPS is basically a hunting shop that sells guns, camo, food, boats, plus a bunch of other things not even closely related to hunting.), along with the books on how to make your own ammo and I'm assuming the supplies to do so.

I can see 4 potential problems with Plan 2.

1. BPS is literally on the other side of town, so I'm assuming that there will be abandoned cars on the road (there's normally not much traffic here, but if zombies are swarming or evacuations are going slowly, I wouldn't be surprised if people abandoned their cars for their feet) so I may not be able to drive far, even though I have a fairly good knowledge of back roads around here (it helps with red lights). So it would take forever to walk there, especially if there are zombies and I'm carrying gear.

2. I have to assume that if I can think of this, so can anyone else. Therefor, there might be several groups already at BPS, and they might be violent. So, if they even let me in, I may be forced to resort to life as a violent raider. That, however, is very unlikely so I'll probably just be turned away to conserve supplies.

3. The BPS is incredibly large (there's even a fish pond in the middle, one more source of food I guess), so a group of 3 or 4 like I said would probably have a large time making it defensable by boarding up the windows and making barriers out of the doors. As it is, there are two sets of incredibly heavy wood and glass doors that open electronically when you step on a pressure pad, so if I can disable that feature somehow I would just have to board up the glass that's reachable to make it defensable. If the internet is still accessable (I don't know how it's broadcasted, so I don't know why, how, or when it would go down).

4. As you can imagine, BPS is pretty popular, so there may be more than a few zombies in there if no one else had taken over the store. The only gun I actually own is a .22 rifle (the rest my father owns, even though I don't actually know if this one is in my name), which can't actually penetrate the skull unless you practically get an eye shot, seeing as you can't rely on a Zombie dying from destroyed organs, at least not from the myths/stories, or pain or bleeding out, that's all I'd be able to kill them with.I also have a small baseball bat that's half the size of my arm, but that might not do much.

But other than that, I havn't put any thought into it.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Well, this just depends. Do I have warning that this whole zombie plague is coming? Like is it on the news for weeks before it hits my town?

Let's assume it's like Dawn of the Dead. One day I wake up and the world has gone to hell (or should I say, hell has come to the world?). In that case, the first thing I'd do is feebly try to block my apartment's door. Maybe slide my couch in front there. I'd look out the window to see what I can see. Unfortunately, my window faces a narrow parking lot and then some woods. Nothing to see there.

I'd then try to call everyone I knew while flipping through the channels. Of course my cell wouldn't get through to any number I've got saved (except maybe for Pizza Hut, and how useless is that!). The TV is probably just running infomercials about treadmills. That or it's a blue screen since I'm not getting any local live morning news.

But as it always happens, the zombies find me. I've got to run! But I don't own a car. I'm one of those hippie, car-free, ride-my-bike-and-take-the-bus kinda people. So I rush out there and try to unlock my bike's chain before the flesh-eating monster get me. It's close, but I manage to get going. Now what?

I'd probably ride to someplace that seems zombie free and try my cell phone again. Damn, still not getting though. Okay, Guan Yin, think. Think! Oh, too late. There are some zombies. Did they see me? Oh, crap, they did. Time to ride away from here!

I live in a really, really big city. There must be millions of zombies and/or people clogging the streets right about now. I guess my bike turned out to be an advantage after all. But I can't stay here. Too many guns, too many idiots. I have some distant relatives living on a ranch several hours drive to the west. How long would it take me to bike there? And I've only been there twice, so while I know the name of the town I have no idea where they live in that town. Or even if they take me in. Still, better than dying here.

So for the next week or so I'd be bicycling across country roads, sleeping out in the open away from the road, and trying to find out where my relatives live. When I get there I just hope they let me stay. After that, I have no idea.

Basically, I'm saying I have no plans for a zombie plague. I'm planless.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Although though a bycicle is a pretty good idea for post-apocalyptic scenario, I have two problems.

1. It takes a lot of energy to operate, so you may not be able to be 'bycicling across country roads" for long without getting tired. After a while, though, you'd probably have incredibly strong calfs if that makes you feel better.

2. There's nothing stopping a zombie from leaning over and taking a hunk out of you while you're stopped or even trying to pass one.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Both 1 & 2 are correct. However, I didn't say this was a good plan. This is just what I'd most likely do. I'd probably do this same plan if we were invaded by foreign troops or if aliens started shooting green lasers at us.

However, I am a bit of a fun rider. I've done a few "centuries" before on my bike. That's where you ride 100 miles in one day (or, if you're weak, 100 km). I'm confident I can make it out there on those country roads. I worry about food though. I'd have my debit card (who carries cash these days?!) but I'm not sure the stores would be open/accept my card/uninfested with zombies.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Arnt you gonna find yourself a hand cannon?

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
I don't have the slightest clue how to find a gun. I mean, I don't know where the nearest gun store is and I don't know anybody that owns a gun. I could wasted time kicking in doors until I find an empty house that just happens to have a pistol or rifle just laying there on the coffee table. But that'd take way too much time.

So even if I stumbled upon the armed corpse of a zombie cop missing her head I still wouldn't have any idea how to find ammo for it. Or even what kind of ammo. I mean, does the inside of a gun have an indicator as to what bullets go in it, the way remote controls tell you which batteries you need?

Yeah, I don't know the first thing about guns.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

If we're talking about an actual zombie apocalypse I'm pretty sure it's okay to just bust a window and take some food as long as nobody's around with a shotgun.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Of course most stores will have been picked clean already

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Basically I would just grab my emergency gear (first scratching out the words 'hurricane box' and replacing it with 'zombie box') and guns and haul ass for my grandparents' property by the creek and hole up there until the situation is dealt with. (or isn't, if it's like every movie ever...I like to give the military a little more benefit of the doubt in real life though) There's also an old friend of the family that lives close to there that has an actual basement (kind of a rarity in this area), but holing up like that is always a last resort, I think keeping as manueverable as possible is best in a zombie situation.  

The real issue would be the river bridge that's a chokepoint out of town in that direction, but I'm saving up for a kayak right now, and I could always ditch my truck and get across on that if the road was too jammed up with abandoned vehicles/the living dead/whatever.

Of course the REAL real issue would be what to do about all of my elderly relatives, but we are always lone action heros in these situations so best not to dwell on it right?

...also I'd probably have to shoot my indoor kitty and that would depress the hell out of me. :(

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Why would you shoot your cat? Just release your cat into the wild, its not like the zombies are going to attack it, they rarely go for animals and they probably aren't going to be able to catch a cat anyway.

Now you might have to shoot your elderly assuming they aren't spry enough to at least fend for themselves on a basic level. If you don't do it now, they'll drain your resources and possibly get you killed by slowing you down. Unless you can convince them to kill themselves in some heroic gesture of holding off or distracting the zombies for a while.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Nope. I'd never do this. I would never abandon an old person for "slowing me down." Even the thought of doing that is revolting. I'd bring them along or stay with them. People are more important than "my resources."

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Or you can chop them up and later use them as bait for the zombies.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Oh silly, naive, Guanyin. If you really care about "people" make sure that as many survive as possible, mainly by eliminating the factors that kills the rest. If you really care about Grandma, put a bullet in her brain because right now you're damning her to wandering the land a mindless zombie, killing those she once loved.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
That's just it. I don't care about saving as many people as possible. I care about doing no harm. I care about saving my loved ones. Or, if I can't save them, be with them in their final moments. I certainly don't want to cause those moments to be their last!

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

It's an indoor cat. She can't fend for herself. Also she has kidney problems and needs regular treatment.

And sorry but no I'm not going to shoot grandma, if the zombies are cured/destroyed and order is restored a week later I would feel pretty dumb, wouldn't I? Also I will be shooting the fuck out of all grandma's cows and eating them so I would think that evens things out.

I also won't be shooting anybody who gets bitten unless I see actual proof that that 100% turns you into a zombie every time, I mean jeez it's not that hard to lock them up somewhere and why are we just assuming everything works exactly like the movies?

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Dont shoot all the cow's then where will you get milk?

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Yeah...no. In all likelihood is that if zombies can evolve, so can their method of transmission. e.g. Airbourne infections.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Well if we're thinking it out that far you have to consider that there might be a few people naturally immune to the disease that later can be used to develop a vaccine. But whoops, now they're dead. Because you shot them like, two seconds after they got bitten when they weren't even showing symptoms.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

I would sure hate to live in Texas during a zombie outbreak. I'm sure that "you" you're referring to is George Bush jr.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

No, I changed my mind. Dick Chaney, 4sure!

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Really? We're still making these jokes? In 2011?

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
So you're just going to leave bed ridden grandma to slowly but surely deteriorate without proper medical facilities in case something goes wrong? You think you can handle that sort of stressful situation and then adding relentless zombies on top of it?

Better to put her out of her misery now, lest she die at some point in the middle of the night and you find grandma suddenly a lot more "spry" than she was before and standing over you when you wake up.

As far as shooting people because they got bit, well locking them up sounds fine and dandy, but you may find that they don't want that and may protest violently themselves. Plus you're locking them up, you realize you're going to have to still feed them. More drain on resources, unless you were planning on just starving them to death until the inevitable occurs.

Even in the slight chance they don't turn due to the bite. Human mouths are filthy, let alone a rotten one. A zombie bite by itself would cause normal infection let alone the "normal zombie" kind. Who knows what diseases and germs are being carried in a corpse's mouth. You better make damn sure that you've been stocking up on antiseptic to pass out to all these locked up people, because even if there is no "zombie venom" they can still die from from normal infections. Then you're left with a room full of locked up zombies again that are going to be busting the door down to join their undead fellows.

At best? You can exile them, but really you're just releasing one more zombie into the world that you're going to have to deal with later as it'll most likely return to the closest place of remembrance. If you're lucky they'll get eaten by other zombies before they manage to turn, but that's going to depend on how far along they are and how strong their own will to survive is.

Yep, better to remain safe and shoot 'em.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

I would only mercy kill someone if the only other option was to lock them in a basement.

Your basement, I mean.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

But then they will become basement dwellers, thats worse than being a zombie, ask endmaster he wrote a whole story about it.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

I'll grab a bat, supllies and pack them up in my duffel. I'm a pretty good hand to hand fighter, took classes and i work out regulary. Won't be hard to bash in a skull if needed..

But, i'll keep my radio on hand and try to contact a group of personal friends. Once i've told them to meet to a afe location if they're isn't a hotzone i'll keep hidden. I'm sure it'll be a riot since i live in the city so im sure i wont have to worry about the zombies, just crazy drivers that might crash into me..

Once i've reached the area myself, I'll go to my friends house. Has a neat hunting collection and were both close friends, I'm usaually the leader so i'll take point..

I know the rodes would probaly be fucked so im heading for a bike also, Usually leave it at his garage so im sure we'll be safe. Who ever rides on back would have to shoot if needed as we ride.

It's going to be very much needed to stick away from the millitary, I'm not sure but whenever there's a outbreak in vide games, take Left for Dead for example they never tell the fate of the surviors.

It's said they'll try to test and expierment on you so i'll just listen out for my radio on surviors and use gps on foot, If one of my friends are bitten them im sure i wont hesitate to kill them, probaly lose my sanity but i'll be good..

I'm not sure what else i'll do after that, sure there's plenty of holes in my terrible plan but you'll never know what lurks behind the corner, you're never safe.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

it's an ... ok plan.

1. Hand to hand combat is brutally effective against human targets, but no so much against zombies. In most stories and movies (which is the only thing we have to go off of) they don't feel pain nor do they technically need bones, although a few broken legs will make it harder for them to catch you.

2. I highly doubt your ability to crush the human skull, I'm cool with the concept of flesh rotting without reproducing cells, but I think bone strength will stay the same, even though I'm exactly an expert on the subject. Let's say you have the brutal force required to crack, penetrate, and eventually crush the skull causing the brain to be destroyed, by the time you do the zombies probably gone Omnomnom somewhere on your body, which is all they really need to do. Plus, by then you've probably already broken a hand, shattered an elbow, etc. while trying to crush the skull, so even if they didn't bite you, you're fucked.

3. I forgot to add it, but my plan was to wait untill the army arrives. I know that movies like to paint them as the bad guys because it sells tickets, but these are Americans protecting Americans. At the very least they are fellow human beings who probably don't exactly relish the thought of slaughtering a bunch of innocents. Plus, I would guess that local militias or wandering groups would be volunteered to help the army, which could be either a good thing or bad thing when they might know you, or they could be inexperienced and jumpy and shoot you on site.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

A baseball bat will smash a skull very easily.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

" I'm a pretty good hand to hand fighter, took classes and i work out regulary. Won't be hard to bash in a skull if needed.." I thought he meant with his hands, my bad lol.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

He might have, but his baseball bat should do that job much better, haha.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

This is adorable. You're adorable.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Looks like i forgot to add a little more details... anyways here is some things that should help.

First and foremost the only warning you get is the basically the form of riots happening in major cities with the people having some sort of virus or disease that causes the zombification process to occur. Let's say 24hrs notice.

These zombies have lost major motor functions are actually quite slow (Res. Evil) at first but after about a week they learn to use their legs better and become fast zombies (28 Days Later, Zombieland).

Finally let's assume that you live in a suburb on the city limits of a highly populated city (Ex. NYC, LA, etc.)

Now with that being said here is my zombie plan.

Step 0 (yes there is a step 0, basically this is the step before the zombie attacks start.)

Stay in shape and stockpile some emergency supplies in an easily carried backpack.

Step 1

I plan to barricade myself in my house after hopefully having a successful looting of a store that stocks guns.

Step 2

After staying in my barricaded house fending off the zombies for a couple weeks I;m going to make an escape from the house with either an armored car that i just so happen to have looted as well but more than likely I will escape using a normal car. I will then immediately flee the area and head to a more rural one.

Step 3

After successfully fleeing the city I will build (or find) shelter. It will most likely be a house that is supported on stilts that has a zipline to somewhere else in case of being overrun. I plan to stay in this shelter for as long as possible or until I find a group of survivors and to help make a safe haven leading to step 4

Step 4

Establish a last hope haven for wandering (zombie disease free) survivors. Those that are infected will be shot on sight, no exceptions. This may seem cruel and harsh but there won't be a cure for a while and we can't keep zombies in our midst if we want to live.

Step 5

After the haven is established I will live out my days as it's leader (hopefully) guiding it to prosperity until I either commit suicide due to the Alt. Step or until I die of natural causes.

Alt. Step

If at any time I become infected I will waste absolutely no time in blowing my brains out to help save humanity from at least one more zombie.

Finally I'd like to say that during most of these steps I will be constantly scavenging and looting for ammo, first aid (if necessary), food, fuel, and water.

I would put my other 36 plans but that's not necessary ;)

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_15643_5-scientific-reasons-zombie-apocalypse-could-actually-happen.html

http://www.cracked.com/article/136_5-reasons-you-secretly-want-zombie-apocalypse/

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

You're plan seems good and awesome!

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

So the completely standard tactic? ok thats cool.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Actually, it's called reading the Zombie Survival Guide :P

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
actually i have never read that. i tend to play games involving strategy and tactics (but my computer can still kick my ass in chess <_< )so it just comes naturally to me.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Heres a link to an online version of the Zombie Survival Guide.

http://www.zombiesurvivalwiki.com/page/The+Zombie+Survival+Guide+-+Max+Brooks

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Lol, I thought you asked for our Zombie plans. That's how you plan for something, you know the landmarks around you, otherwise it will be as vague as "I'm going to go the nearest gun store and loot everything!"

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

;P

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
I want to be at the gym or with my dog.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

At the gym...and have what, confuse the zombies with your phermones? Zombie dog?

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
My dog is a German Shepard and we have trained him to attack on command. He goes for the throat (the beauty of breeding). Most zombie virus don't affect animals.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Go watch I Am Legend now.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
I said most not all.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

No, see, I own a Chihuahua/MinPin, so I'll kick some ass. Your big old wimpy dog won't do a thing.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
My dog would eat yours for breakfast.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

I have a beagle, does that count for anything?

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Yes. That is his lunch.JK

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

See Zombie Survial Guide for my plans.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Off topic, but I only just now noticed your avatar. :D

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

And JPlauge's if you notice his detailed plans.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Tell me are these zombies able to learn? Like if they are put under certain conditions they can be trained in some way, like in Day of the Dead?

Just wondering.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

If we were talking about left 4 dead zombies we'll all be screwed. A tank topples cars and can put out huge slabs of rock from thin air.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

That would be handy, I could finally have that mindless army I always dreamed of! Or I could get eaten alive, hit or miss.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Well if they can learn to use their legs what's keeping them from using basic tools and the like? The only thing they can't do is advanced motor functions and the more complex actions. Guns are out of the question but improvised melee weapons and opening doors is about as much as i'd expect them to do.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Okay well, I suppose once I got settled and all that, I suppose try to catch one and see if I could train it then. Not like I'd have any new video games to play or the internet to occupy the downtime between raids and such.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

If they can learn to use tools what's keeping them from learning not to eat people and demanding the right to vote then?

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Voting? Why would there be a functioning government by that point?

Pretty sure the government would've collapsed into anarchy or resorted to more totalitarian methods to hold on to the territory they do have. Anyone still using a voting system would be small communities and I doubt if a lot of them are going to be welcoming voting zombies as equals.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Zombies would care enough to cast a vote even if they could.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

We TRAIN them to make a functional government. All problems solved.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
To hell with that plan, I'm not training my zombies to be politicians, I'm going to train them to actually be useful.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

I'm not sure their cut out to be much else.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Think about it, though. If zombies could be taught basic skills and tool use, if zombies could be taught not to kill people, then what is the difference between a zombie and a human being with a debilitating disease?

I think we like to ignore that fact because it makes shooting them a lot more morally questionable. Zombie apocalypse scenarios are really about people wanted to kill or destroy or walk away from the current world to start their own society, based upon their rules, with themselves as the leader. But if zombies were just sick people, it turns zombie shooting into mass murder. Not quiet as fun to write forum posts about that kinda stuff.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Not exactly "morally questionable" when one of them's eating your face off.

To be honest though, i have actually thought about a Zombie's rights activist group.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

*Sneaks off to create left 4 dead story instead of working on Rpg* ;P

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Morally questionable to snipe zombies from the roof for practice and fun. Morally questionable for killing a person who has been bitten but not turned.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Depends, you think it's morally wrong not to shoot someone in order to save your group, yet you say that you are for the people, that's just not compatable.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Really? Remember, we're operating under the suspicion that zombies are just sick people. I'm not going to go shoot people in the hospital because I'm afraid they'll hurt my family.

Besides, I personally believe that it is never morally right to shoot someone. Ever. Even in self defense it is wrong. "First, do no harm." Even Jesus said to turn the other cheek, even to a bitten friend who might turn into a zombie. Give them a gun if they want one, put them in a room (why lock it if they're not trying to get out?), or wave goodbye as they leave the group of their own free will. But no killing.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

The problem with any zombie scenario is that so much stuff just doesn't make sense unless you explain it away as magic. How do the zombies not starve after awhile, how do they even move if their brains and muscles are rotting, let alone have super speed and strength, etc. If you really get to thinking about it from a biological standpoint you could go on and on. But if you're using the virus approach then basically, like Guanyin says the question becomes, is it okay to kill a sick, brain damaged person who is very violent?

I would say 'yes, if they're actively trying to gnaw you or someone else's face off' but I understand if someone disagrees...though I really think at some point the ol' survival instinct would kick in and maybe change your mind.

Though of course if it's a friend or family member you may not be able to bring yourself to do it (doubly so in an infection scenario, where they're still acting like themselves right up until the last moment...surely you wouldn't be able to shake the hope that they might be okay no matter what the odds. Unless you're the type that believes in killing people with cancer too...)

I always kind of roll my eyes at the internet tough guy 'oh yes I would totally blow my best friend away without hesitation' response. Believe it or not I've actually had a similar discussion with a cousin before. A guy who is squeamish about killing a mouse...and yet he's apparently convinced he can instantly turn into the Road Warrior the second civilization shows a sign of collapsling.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
If this were Facebook I'd Like this comment.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Even if the zombies were just like us, that still means...they're just like us and all the problems that go with that.

I guarantee you'd get a Zombie Hitler within a few years preaching about how they're the next step in evolution because they have a lot more immunities and such. The result then is you've still got a war between the living and the dead except now there is an organized effort which makes the zombies even more dangerous.

Yeah, no. I'm putting a bullet in their heads, and at best I'll keep some obedient ones around as "guard dogs."

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

So, how'd you like to write a new story...

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Kinda off topic, but I think this is why I don't play many of the storygames on this site. I feel as if most of them follow a philosophy similar to yours. You know? It's as if I have to go killing the zombies or the evil knights or whatever. The only choice is how I go about doing it. I wish there were options to not go around killing all the bad guys yet still get to a satisfying ending. It goes against my entire worldview that there are no good endings without violence. Sometimes it should be okay to let the zombies live. Sometimes we can be more than just gun-toting badasses. At least, I think so.

Oh, and sorry for going off topic. It was just on my mind. I'll do better next time.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

A good ending cannot exist, in which evil is allowed to live.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
That's stupid.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Its unfortunate, but evil ruins all that is around it. Things do not tread water, they either grow, or diminish.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Eh, sometimes you have to play as the evil person, what happens then?

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Evil shall be called good, and good shall be called evil. haha

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
I don't agree with this. And even if I did, this is a place for fiction, for imagination. Even if happy endings are completely fake there is no reason we can't have stories with them. We have stories with zombies, why not happy endings?

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

There are stories with happy endings, once all the evil is gone. Lord of the rings for example.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Fight Club had a happy ending and it ended in a massive terrorist attack. Shaun of the Dead had a happy ending but half the cast was killed. Star Wars IV had a happy ending but Vader and the emperor were still alive.

These are happy endings while evil still existed. Project Mayhem, zombies, and the Empire all existed but things worked out for our heroes.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
You're sort of all over the place here.

You want a story with a happy ending without evil involved, then Uglick gave an example of LOTR where all evil is destroyed.

Then you gave a counter example of Fight Club, Shaun and Star Wars and say evil still exists in all those movies but there is a happy ending, which sort of contradicts what you were saying about wanting stories without conflict, because in every one of those there is a bunch of conflict.

I'd also argue that only in Star Wars was there a "happy ending". Really, Fight Club didn't have a hero. He was a mentally messed up anti-hero at best. Nothing really heroic about what he did, unless you're an anarchist or agree with the philosophy.

Shaun of the Dead basically reduced all the zombies into slaves which is sort of what you were scolding some of us about earlier. Not really a happy ending there either given that you were for zombie rights in the debate here.

As for LOTR, I'd argue that evil still existed, but obviously not to the same degree, so it still fits along side the examples you gave.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

My bad, of course not ALL EVIL was or would be destroyed but its the reduction of it or the triumph of good that brings about the happy ending.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
"You want a story with a happy ending without evil involved, then Uglick gave an example of LOTR where all evil is destroyed.

Then you gave a counter example of Fight Club, Shaun and Star Wars..."

Yes, I agree that what I want doesn't relate much to the rest of what I wrote. But I was only providing examples to disprove the ugilick's statement that "A good ending cannot exist, in which evil is allowed to live".

I thought that wasn't true at all. I gave examples of good endings where evil was allowed to live. Vader lived. Project Mayhem (or even The Narrator) lived. The zombies lived. Still, they all had good endings. Luke got a medal, The Narrator got the girl, Shaun got the girl.

That had nothing to do with my desire, however, to have a storygame with a happy ending. Imagine a storygame where we could play C3-P0. No need to get into a fight, no need to kill, but still plenty of intrigue and epic adventure. Wanting a story like that, a happy ending in a war story when I didn't have to do much fighting, is something I'd like to play.

As to the zombie thing in Shaun of the Dead. Yes, I don't like it once I'll start thinking about it. But it was such a good movie I can overlook something like that at the very end. This forum thread, however, is not as good as that movie. And what was a joke at the end of a film is not the same as a philosophy that advocates chaining up or killing infected people as a matter of course.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Episode 4 a new hope was happy because Hope was restored, hope that the evil could be defeated. good point though. Fight club does not have a happy ending.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
So when you wrote:

"A good ending cannot exist, in which evil is allowed to live."

You actually meant to say:

"A good ending cannot exist, in which evil is allowed to live (unless hope is restored)."

Now I get it.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

I beleive that no person is completly correct. In everything I say I expect there to be small errors.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
So everything you write is what you actually think. Except for the things you write that are not what you think. Those are mistakes.

How in the world am I supposed to tell the difference between what you write and what you say if what you write is riddled with errors?

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

I'm saying that everyone writes with errors, because people arnt perfect.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
So because you liked Shaun of the Dead, making the zombies into slaves and doing it in a manner you found humorous makes it okay.

This is how people can argue things like "evil" are subjective.

The fact remains, they're still making the zombies slaves and it ranks up there with killing people because they're infected if we're judging them both as evil acts.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
You've got me. I sometimes like things even if there are bad things in them. I like Shaun of the Dead even if I don't agree with the enslavement thing. I like 3J's Continents game even though I don't like the graphic depictions of violence. I like beer even though it has lots of empty calories.

That doesn't make the bad things okay to do. It means that if you're a good enough storyteller (or brewer) then I can overlook the bad things. It doesn't make the bad thing good. But how it is presented does matter.

Does that make me a crappy person, for ignoring bad things? Maybe. But sometimes I'm a bad person if I bring the bad things to light (look at what happened on the Continents thread). Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Nah, I wasn't judging you or calling you evil, I was just pointing it out. I understand that you've got a different outlook on the world and such.

As far as stories with happy endings without killing anyone, well I'm sure you know that's going to be rare on here! Most people like a sense of accomplishment of destroying the bad guy and all that. So that's what most people write.

I guess some of the romance games have happy endings without any killing. Believe it or not I've written a few stories where you don't kill anyone, but I'm still not sure you'd like them. Lol.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Batman refuses to kill the Joker, and I think has even saved his life a couple of times. This is very noble and admirable on his part, but given that the Joker has shown that Arkham is basically a revolving door and he can just escape and murder hundreds of people again and again, at some point does Batman become morally culpable for all of the people that have died because of his inaction?

Discuss.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

I think this has been discussed before.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
That's rather the fault of Arkham, don't you think? Let's say that Batman didn't arrest the Joker or other criminals. Say the Gotham PD did it. If Arkham is just as door-revolving then the Joker still gets out. But does that mean the cops are responsible for the new killings? Primary culpability goes to the Joker for the killings, but I can see civil suits against the Asylum.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
The Joker is still directly responsible for killing people, but Batman sure isn't helping by continuing to throw him into a place that obviously can't contain him.

Probably should at least break his neck. Granted knowing the Joker he'd still find some way of getting into trouble, but I'd imagine it would severely stop 95% of his crimes. (Guess Harley would be carrying out most of his plans now)

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Would you rather want to go play a storygame where you skip down the yellow brick road with you woodland friends in order to get back to your dirtfarming aunt so you can live in extreme poverty but at least you're with your family so it's all ok?

You know what? Don't answer that.

For now, I'm going to play games that doesn't include having my family killed because I refused to protect them.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
But, shooting grandma is having your family killed. You mean protect the rest of your family? What happens with your sister gets bitten next? Kill her, too, I suppose. Eventually you've shot everyone in your family. To protect them. Hmm, maybe they should have been protected from you?

Ha, no, I'm just playing. I know where you're coming from. I just don't agree. That's all. No point in arguing over the morality of a zombie attack since, you know, not real.

As for the skip down the yellow brick road? I dunno. It would depend on what my character wants. If I was taking the role of someone you just wants to get home, who just wants to settle down and live a simple life, then yeah, I'd try to do just that. I don't need psychic powers or magic swords or piles of gold coins for a game to be good. I'd be happy ending the storygame in a humble home next to a creek, even in a zombie game. Is it wrong to want more games like that?

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

So, according to you one death means you're going to shoot your entire family, so lets work with that. Say morally, would you rather have your entire family killed without pain, or have a chunk of flesh ripped from your body (doesn't sound pleasant), slowly succomb to Zombieism after struggling through a painful sickness, only to bite other members of your family so they can repeat the cycle?

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
I see your logic failure there. You've narrowed the choices down to just two where there are many, many others to choose from. So my choice is to have my family killed or kill my family. There is no option other than me somehow killing my family. I reject that.

But, no, one death does not automatically lead to more deaths. I'm saying that if you are willing to kill one to save others then you'd be willing to kill two. Or three. If you are morally willing to kill one then you're morally willing to kill more.

I believe that we don't need to kill them at all. If they get bitten then separate them from the group. If I get bitten then I'll leave the group. No one has to kill anyone else.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

"But, shooting grandma is having your family killed. You mean protect the rest of your family? What happens with your sister gets bitten next? Kill her, too, I suppose. Eventually you've shot everyone in your family. To protect them. Hmm, maybe they should have been protected from you?" It's almost as if you've made a logical error by limiting me down to one option when there are many, many more options to choose from. That almost sounds familiar...

Gee, if we have more than one choice, then maybe we won't kill everyone in our group because we are "morally willing" to do so. Yes, I would like to say I would kill someone in my group to save the rest, but I havn't been in such a situation so I'll just say that it's our logical and moral responsibility to do so.

So you're not willing to kill someone you love to spare them from being a zombie and having them just be brutally cut down by others anyway, but your willing to let others become zombified because you don't want people to die?

That's just hypocritical BS.

Look, I'm running off 4 hours of sleep again (second time this month), so I'll make this frank. It's easy to say we'll do the Disney thing and find a way to save everybody without having to take a life, and at the most just fire our guns in the air without hitting anybody to get more ticket sales, but we won't.

The point is that don't act like your doing the right thing, when your willing to let others die for no reason.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
In that first paragraph, I'm not limiting your choices. You've already made the choice. You have chosen to kill a member of your group to save the rest of the group. I know there are many other options to take. I'm advocating those other options. But we're working on the assumption that you will make the same choice in subsequent situations as you do in the first one: kill one to save the rest. If, for some reason, you choose a different option (not killing) some times but not others then I'll have to wonder why. Why kill the first time if you were unwilling some other time? You're either willing to kill all the time (which is what I wrote), not willing to kill at all (which is what I'm pushing), or kill sometimes but not others (which is morally inconsistent).

"So you're not willing to kill someone you love to spare them from being a zombie and having them just be brutally cut down by others anyway, but your willing to let others become zombified because you don't want people to die?"

This isn't hypocritical. It is consistent. I will not shoot someone. I have said nothing about saving anyone, or preventing death, or keeping people from becoming zombies. I believe that there is a moral distinction between causing suffering and allowing suffering to happen. Killing a person for any reason (but especially because they'll slow me down or because they might become dangerous later) is wrong.

And it isn't about a Disney ending. Horrible things will happen. Not everyone will be saved. People will die. To me, in my heart, it is better to live (and die) a moral life than to do whatever it takes to survive until the bitter end.

Oh, you're right that I have no idea how I'd react in a situation such as a zombie attack. That's way outside of my normal life. I know there are things I won't do, however. I just don't have it in me to do some things. But don't act like you're doing the right thing when you're willing to kill the people you love for whatever reason you tell yourself.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
You don't need to be a gun toting bad ass, but seriously unless these are some extremely different sorts of zombies (Which Jplague hasn't indicated that they're friendly), you aren't going to get the chance to reason with them about scripture. They're going to try to kill and eat you.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Not neccesarily in that order.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Ide say they hit two birds with one stone there, They kill you, by eating you.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
...but ...but EndMaster, you're the one who started this branch of the thread asking if zombies were "regular" or if they were more Day of the Dead like with the ability to learn. I was just running with the idea you put into my head.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

But you took it in the wrong direction.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
So the right direction was to make them into politicians? Or slaves? That's the direction I should have gone with instead of respecting them?

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Your respecting something that can't appreciate you back?

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

I'm sure i can blow my friend away (no homo) without hestation! I'm insane in the brain, insane in the brain! ;P *Killed before*

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Of course. Respect is like love. It's something you give without needing anything to be given back.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Jplague said they only were going to have a simple intelligence, not any of the higher functioning skills like voting and such, so I'm not even sure where the idea that they could become like humans except undead.

Taking Day of the Dead as the example again, it took a long time to just train Bub into NOT taking a bite out of his trainer and he was still hostile to other humans particularly those against his master. And his trainer was still feeding him human flesh to keep him pacified as a reward for obedience. Even in stuff like Fido, they still tend to bite people they haven't developed a bond with.

Zombies would basically be like animals at best and very dangerous animals at that.

You can go ahead and try to trust them like normal humans if you want, but I wouldn't risk it. Hell I wouldn't even trust most of the actual humans in a zombie apocalypse scenario, because most likely your biggest threat would probably still be other humans not the zombies.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
In this case I would trust the zombies as if they were humans. Just humans with a disease that made them violently act out. I don't consider, say, highly autistic kids to be like animals, that their caretakers are "trainers" or "masters". Think of those scenes from Day of the Dead as if those guys were imprisoning a mentally handicapped guy instead of a zombie. It changes the way you look at the whole thing.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Obviously if they got a retarded guy it's going to be different, but retarded people don't normally go around trying to eat people and have the ability of making others into retards through a bite. If they did, they probably WOULD be treated like zombies. (For good or ill)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure we aren't going to change each other's minds on the subject, and now I'm too busy laughing about the concept of hordes of retards eating and biting people and turning them.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Oh, god there is something wrong with me, Ive been laughing non stop for an hour now. This just set me over the top, I can barely type. Ide be wurried if I could stop laughing.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Ive decided that it would be far worse in that case, then it is in real life. I have no tollerance for the retarded people, I avoid them at all costs as it is, if retarded people ate human flesh and could turn you into a retard... Ide kill myself right there more than likely.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

Eh, I'd say it's 50/50. The difference would be being a zombie with no control over your mind or body or a retard with moderate to no control over your mind or body (considering the symptoms).

Of course, my first plan is a bullet in the brain anyway, Bass Pro Shops is just a plan B, as I said in my plan.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
By rudimentary intelligence i was thinking about Las Plagas from RE4 and Oruoboros from RE5, they can use weapons and they recognize a rudimentary power structure of "Oh hey he's bigger than me I'm not going to attack him." although i doubt they could use a chainsaw. Basically the only thing that they'll use this intelligence for is to figure out how to get their prey (us) faster. They don't have the brain power to understand concepts and morals. The only thing they really know is hunger and how to sate it. Oh and animals can be infected as well. The ones that should be feared the most are carrion birds, rodents, and insects like mosquitoes.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

And crows, I'm still scared from that one resident evil movie <_<>_>

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Also I plan to get a small group of friends to fight zombies with.

Zombie Plans

12 years ago

wow, i spent 30 minutes reading this whole conversation

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
I know, what a long strange trip it's been eh?

Zombie Plans

12 years ago
Charlie Stross, a science fiction writer I'm rather partial to, has recently wrote something on zombies that I think could add to our discussion.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2011/09/zombies.html

It's about an interesting new take on the whole idea of zombies. It's a zombie concept that I'd love to see made into a story more than the bullet-to-the-brain zombie stories that are everywhere.