Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Imagine if...

12 years ago

Imagine if you had the resources to purchase a plot of land. An island, maybe. It's a sizable piece of real estate, covering somewhere around 1,000 acres. It's located in a temperate climate, with plenty of open fields, forests, running rivers and great lakes. You contact the proper authorities and somehow manage to section off this land with a very high fence, running all around its border. You've got a chance to start your own village, town, commune, or even your own country. It would be a small country, but it would still be its own entity.

Now, imagine this place is advertised in a not so blatant way. Maybe it's word of mouth that spreads, but either way, in time you are presented with a population of around 3,000. Metalworkers, carpenters, lumberjacks, fishermen, farmers, geologists, retired politicians, whatever -- these people make up a wide variety of professions. They do not want to be paid, they only want to be a part of your project.

Now, my question to you: How would you run this establishment? Even if you did not want to lead, the people rise up at the beginning and imbue you with the title of President, or King, or Queen, or what have you. How would your ideal government function? After a short while, these people will multiply (not from newcomers, but from breeding!) Before you know it, the population of your settlement is at 10,000. Will your society have upper-class, middle-class, and lower class citizens? What will the laws consist of? How will religion be observed? Holidays?

Imagine if...

12 years ago

This may be a stupid question but are you trying to host a forum game?

Imagine if...

12 years ago
This would be in modern times, correct?

Imagine if...

12 years ago

Breed...as in 3000 people each having 3-4 kids, and couple 6-8 kids? Or is it over a period of time? In that case, are you immortal, what is your lifespan? What resources are available in this land, beside human resources? No, a better question would be: where does all the human refuse and garbage go? Do you dump it into the waters, is the water part of the property, would it violate the laws or borders of another country or have to pay monetary reparation for existing in their "preordained" territory? Or do you just buy it in a ditch somewhere? In that case, do they use it for fertilizer, does every family have like several buckets they shit in and carry to farmers on weekends? Also, if we're talking about this in the modern sense, they could also filter out the urinate and reuse the water. :)

Clean water is recyclable water. :D

Imagine if...

12 years ago

just bury it*

Imagine if...

12 years ago

urine*

Imagine if...

12 years ago
"does every family have like several buckets they shit in and carry to farmers on weekends?"
That sentence made me laugh and throw up at the same time.

Imagine if...

12 years ago

Nope, not trying to start a forum game - just wondering what other people would do in such a situation. I could turn it into a forum game in the appropriate areas though, if it comes to that.

It would be modern day, but you would be able to form this society in whatever period you find most appealing. If you think things were best in the Victorian years, model your establishment after that. Middle Ages? Model it after that. It's an isolated settlement. You can be as modern or classical as you'd like.

You're not immortal. You're just -- you. The way you are, now. 3,000 people can become 10,000 in a very short timescale. We're talking just a handful of years of growth, there. Waste managament, farming, the allocation of individual responsibilities, laws -- ALL of these things need to be determined. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of how they would do it. The question is sort of inspired by The Village (a movie by M. Night. Shyamalan) and several real-time strategy and city builder games I've played.

The way I would do it, or try to, would be to create a free market (everyone does what they are good at, buying and selling products at a fair and balanced price.) I would invent my own currency to serve as an economic medium, and at first it would be something as simple as bartering (a sheep for a goat). This would eventually turn into coinage as a few people figure out how to mass produce coins out of some semi-rare alloy. Now here's where I really turn on the thinking cap: I would try and avoid being the "leader" or king or what have you, and instead the government would be structured into Tiers.

Military tier (just in case we got big enough to become a threat to neighboring nation), Education tier (teachers, professors, etc.), Science tier (for researchers), Medical tier (for healthcare), Growth tier (for road building and structure maintanence) and so on and so forth. Each tier has an alderman, or an overseer, and it's own cabinet of elected officials. Here's where people will probably disagree with me and call me a Commie ... as the government was being formed, I would take all the collected wealth of the population's wealthiest 50% and distribute it evenly amongst all the tiers. This wealth would be a global currency, to where we could buy and trade with existing nations. This means that the Military gets just as much funding as our Science branch, and Medical, and Growth, etc.

Thoughts?

Imagine if...

12 years ago

Sounds like Continent bro. The host put you on an island, bam, the similarity begins.

Imagine if...

12 years ago
Ahh, good, then I'll pick modern times (Oh, and you might want to ignore Erudite when he gets liek that, most of us do).

First off, I would make a democratically elected government that rules over the federal government, and split different sections of the island up into provinces based on good production (like if a section of the island focuses on producing crops, that would be a province, if a section produces textiles, that's a province, etc. Picture the Hunger Games districts). These provinces would have their own provincial governments, which would then be ruled by the federal government. The leader of the federal government can have advisors if he/she so pleases, but it's not required.

Economically, it would be a - mostly - free market system. The Federal Government can interfere if the economic practices performed endanger the citizens' life or liberty (like if too many people die working a certain machine, the business can be forced to put safety measures in place). A currency system would also be put in place, although I'm not sure what kind of standard to base it on. I would like to say gold, but I have no idea how much gold I would have :P

Militarily, it would be prety basic. I would have a defense force consisting of ground forces, navy, and and air force, but I would have no weaponized nuclear stockpile. There would be room in the federal budget to develop military bases in various places on the island to increase the effectiveness of the defense.

Power-wise, I would like it to be primarily nuclear powered, subsidized with solar and hydro power. If I have to, I'll resort to coal, but I don't really want to, hopefully with a clean slate like this I won't be faced with losing thousands of jobs if we shut down the coal industry. Of course, cars will have to run with oil.

Is there anything else I need to address?

Imagine if...

12 years ago
based on production of goods*

Imagine if...

12 years ago

Get like what? What are you implying? Do you really know me that well to say I "get like" something at all? Besides the point, I don't even talk that much in the forums or even bother to, what gives you the authority to judge others?

Imagine if...

12 years ago
I can judge you because you flip out in the forums a lot :) You post in the forums every so often, flip out about minor details, and badmouth other people based on what they did (or sometimes did not) say. That gives me the authority :)

Imagine if...

12 years ago
Oh, I forgot to adress your first post. I was referring to how you posted all that because he didn't explicitly say people were immortal, how they would deal with waste, and how many children each person would have.

Imagine if...

12 years ago
the first part of your post*
There I go again...

Imagine if...

12 years ago
(Here comes the 'you don't know me' card again haha).

Forgive us, Proffer. This is a cool writing exercise. Are you looking for inspiration or just trying to promote some cool thoughts?

Imagine if...

12 years ago

Have you ever read the book 1984? Imagine me as Big Brother...

Imagine if...

12 years ago

Hmm.... I think i'd end up as a King of sorts. I'd probebly have total control over economic means and use a buracracy to run the other parts, military will be shared with the warrior caste and buracracy .  This way i can make sure my kingdom's economy won't collapse as long as i live.

I'll try to do a communist system with a bit of caste in it. You would be able to raise yourself to a higher position if you can complete a system of test i make up. Say like you were born a smither but wanted to be a farmer, if you completed the farming test you would be transfered to that caste. any family that you&spouse create will be in the farmer caste. Your children can raise to be a smither or  warrior or whatever else i think up.  No caste is higher than the other, it just means you will live in a diffrent "world" than the rest of your family. Warriror's will have more power as long as a war is going on.

Free market unless i deem otherwise. Buracracy will make sure i am not being retarded and can overright me if needed. warrior caste can overright the buracracy and i can overright the warrior-caste.

Religion will be free and any violent disagrements will result in said people being sent back to (the mainland?) Holidays will consist of Creation day (the start of the project) and any religious holidays are fine as long as it dosen't affect the survival of the project.

Laws? Free Speech/religion/thought. Basic laws about crime exept that there is a death penlty if the crime was dangerous to the survival of the project or if said victim wants it. International laws will be created depending on the location of this project. END

I can't think of anymore but this is a basic idea on how i would run a small nation.

Imagine if...

12 years ago

I would use a rare-alloy currency until we run out, Then i would probebly use something like the british currency.

I'll keep the tech at the highest possible without endangering the projects survival.

I'll use something like a provience system ruled by a council run by the caste system there.

Imagine if...

12 years ago
Finally a time to test out my Eugenic Ideas.

I would use my population as an experiment about how civilizations work.
I view these people as parts of my experiment. I could also experiment with their genes and make a super-race out of them. Who knows what I can do with ultimate power. :P~

-Hail Fate