Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Advice for a Nub?

11 years ago

Hey, Im new here and i have read a few stories and i really like storygames. Im on of those people that play RPGS for the story and every since i played the first one with a branching story i have loved the concept, but as many of you most likely know there isn't a very wide selection of games that fit that criteria out there. So i went online and started playing game books, but a gamebook can only provide so much entertainment seeing as how the tend to be old and most are not very imaginative. I eventually found my way to Choice Of Games and from there i found this site.

I made an account on here but up until now ive still been hesitant of beginning a story, but im having the same drawbacks as i did when i decided to start. WHAT DO I WRITE ABOUT!!!???? I love medieval stuff and im a fan of Tolkien but its been done so many times i have no faith in my self that i will be able to stay completely original. Im gonna try my hand it it anyway so heres what i got so far.

The king of the land has died and now his underage child has been charged with ruling the Empire. Thats the basic theme anyhow. Its been kinda hard to flesh out though. If anyone has any ideas that will help me along with this i would gladly accept any advice, im gonna try to get the beginning at least typed out and then ill post again so i can get your opinions on that.

So ok thanks i hope when its finished you enjoy.

Advice for a Nub?

11 years ago

If they you siblings - infighting among them for power (as in some may plot against you).

Have many of the elders who were previously loyal to your father subtly question your authority, so that you can either prove yourself to them or simply get rid of them.

Diplomacy is a big thing. Have neighboring countries that want alliances/war/etc with your country.

Diplomacy within your country is a big deal too. Generally counts/dukes and such would actually govern their land, and simply report/obey their king when asked. Maybe have some of them attempt to break away or plot against you.

Another external threat is possible too. Maybe while your busy worrying about your kingdom and the ones surrounding you, a new powerful enemy from another land/previously unnoticed begins to conquer far away kingdoms and becomes a larger threat with each passing year or whatever.

This is all assuming the basis of the story is you actually ruling the country. You could change that completely and instead say that upon the king dying the kingdom became divided and a whole bunch of people tried to kill you, and you were protected by those still loyal to your late father. You then decide whether you want to re-unite your country, or run away and try to live another life.

Advice for a Nub?

11 years ago

Lol you are not going to believe me when i say it, but while i was waiting for a reply to this i went ahead on and wrote the starting page to the story and it has a few subtle hints about some of the things you said in it(mostly the fighting for power thing).

So basically the king dies but doesn't chose an heir and he has three sons. I plan to take it through all the stages of power progression and the things that involve ruling a kingdom.

Advice for a Nub?

11 years ago

Add dragons. Dragons are cool.

Advice for a Nub?

11 years ago

they are also overused. :)

Advice for a Nub?

11 years ago

I wouldn't say overused, but they are definitely overpowered in almost every story they're in.

Advice for a Nub?

11 years ago

Well, in "The Hobbit"...

Actually, never mind, he was pretty damn hard to kill.

Advice for a Nub?

11 years ago

He was pretty realistic for the circumstance's in the book though.

Advice for a Nub?

11 years ago

Alright so i finished the first and most of the second page but ive come to another block in the story. In the second page i showed how much castle life has changed due to the death of the king and how it has effected the protagonists' life. So im gonna summarize it basically and then throw out some ideas on how i should proceed and if any of you have some ideas id love to hear them.

Ok, with the death of the king the kingdom has been thrown into an age of unrest. You, who are the middle child, has came into adulthood and have been called for an audience with your mother who has taken the seat of power since no heir has been named.

Im stuck at why your mother has called you. So far ive came up with these.

-Your mother wants you to head to the Zalin province and secure that neutrality continues there between the kingdom and Geld.

-Your brother, who is the charge of Orlae, has stopped sending word to your mother and now she wants you to go see why.

-(and for those who posted above)Your mother wants you to go to the allied country of Geld and investigate the rumors of them gaining control of dragons.

If anyone has any other ideas let me hear them.

Advice for a Nub?

11 years ago

Normally the first born (male) child would inherit the throne.

You're two pages in and stuck for ideas? Have you plotted out at all how your story will be or are you just making it up as you go?

Anyways, given that the mother inherited the throne, I would say that she called you in because she thinks one of your brothers/siblings are plotting to take over the throne, and she wants you to investigate somehow.

I think (at least for the beginning), you should keep the player within the castle, if only so they get a feel of the place they may or may not lead. Sending them away immediately keeps them distanced (obviously), and makes it seem like something is going to happen (something important, given all the changes that just happened) that they will miss.

Advice for a Nub?

11 years ago

What if the first born is disfigured, retarded, a hermaphrodite, or some other reason not to get the throne? The rest could fight over it...

Advice for a Nub?

11 years ago

I never said he should have, just that it's was the norm. If he didn't get it that would mean something else happened, which could be used in the plot.

Advice for a Nub?

11 years ago

Yes ive plotted out the how the story will flow, as far as beginning, middle, end but as i said im trying to flesh it out. After all its a story game and i want to add multiple endings.

As far as why the eldest didn't inherit the throne, there was an uproar when the king's will was read and he did not name an heir. What the deal pretty much is, he loves all his kids but you were his favorite and he didn't want to pick your brother of you.

I like the idea about staying in the castle, like i said and you will see if you read everything has gone to shit. You and your little brothers tutor ,that pretty much raised you, has been struggling to keep people from manipulating you and your younger brother to gain the crown.

What  is different about this story is that all three have a claim to the throne because of what the will said.

Advice for a Nub?

11 years ago

Then yeah, investigating a conspiracy involving your older brother trying to usurp the throne definitely seems like the way to start.