Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Could a zombie apocalypse happen?

11 years ago

This ever since that first zombie movie has been on the minds of people. Now while I don't believe it will happen for a while I felt the issue needed to be brought up. We are making leaps and bounds in technology, medicine and military tech everyday. Do you think that it is possible for a biological weapon could cause a zombie like incident?

Share thoughts, ideas and such here.

11 years ago

It is a possibility, but it's far from likely even if there is a zombie virus, you need a mayor fuck up from someone for it to be released.

Don't get me wrong here I Love zombies, but sometimes of all these what if theories scare me. Just like that bath salt incident in florida, that was scary too.

11 years ago

Well there are weaponized viruses who could theoretically turn Earth into graveyard (if no countermeasures were in place), but it's more of a deadly epidemic - think bubonic plague but on larger scale. The zombie virus would be pretty ineffective (considering normal shuffling zombies) or impossible to contain (in case of fast/intelligent zombies) which pretty much defeats the purpose of weapon.

The only way I think it could happen is some kind of parasite (there are things like that who prey on ants) which would turn us into husks. Of course that would mean there was some genetic engineering in place, but once again as a weapon it's unpredictable. Think Dead Rising game where the source are wasps

Or rabies. Yup, mutation of rabies a'la '30 days later' when it goes just too fast for a countries to contain. And since they can jump, run fast etc. no normal barricade will stop them. Then again these 'zombies' are much weaker than normal ones, because shots to vital organs work. They aren't dead, just mad. And, more importantly after first impact they start decompose pretty quickly. Considering they lost their intelligence and want to feed only on flesh means at most a month of 'living'. Then of course single bite can start another outbreak.

I do tend to excitedly wonder about all kinds of apocalypses (because dwindling resources and growing population WILL create some kind of crisis if nothing will change), but I'm pretty much sure that I'll be one of the shamblers, or just skull somewhere because I find my survival skills lacking. So while fantasizing is fine the thought of it really happening isn't nice. Not at all.

11 years ago

I'm pretty sure we had this discussion in another thread way before you join but what the heck,  I could be wrong.

Yes, I think it is possible for a biological weapon to cause a zombie-like incident. One such thing would be a mutated or human-engineered rabies disease that is easily spread from one to another via bites or cuts.

I could, however, not see countries or humans using it without it backfiring on them UNLESS they have the cure for it. Vaccine is not a cure and would be insufficient, in my opinion, to start anything like this if someone even manages to make it.

11 years ago

We discussed it in it's own thread and in the end of the world thread. 

11 years ago

I can't remember where I heard this, but apparently scientists have theorised that a mix of rabies and the common cold would make zombies.

11 years ago

Short answer – no.

Here’s a cool read on the subject though  ^-^

http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html

11 years ago

I was thinking no just because the sheer stupidity of the zombie idea. It's undead, so the cells that are decomposing are working, the blood that is required to survive becomes jelly and doesn't fall out when shot. However, in order for the body to work it requires Oxygen, and if the blood is jelly, it can't travel through the blood stream.

Its practically impossible from my point of view.

11 years ago

So, in order to fix that dilemma...

Dead Space.  :D

11 years ago

Well, there's always fungi zombies...

11 years ago
Why not read this:

http://www.cracked.com/article_15643_5-scientific-reasons-zombie-apocalypse-could-actually-happen.html

11 years ago

Cracked also has a article on the five most likely reasons a zombie acopalyse would occur. Read that too.

Edit: Hey you just beat me too it!

11 years ago

Basically it's 50/50. I think it could happen in zombie like  symptoms but actually reanimating dead cells? one maybe but over a billion no way. There are several anger or rage inducing drugs combined with other drugs creating unsteadiness. Could create zombie like symptons.

11 years ago

Anyone?