Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Chapter Question

4 years ago

I think my question got answered in another post, but I did't see specifics (just that I can't edit an already published story)

But even if you publish Chapter 1, can you still add additional chapters afterwards?  Or do you have to have everything finished before you can publish everything?

I've been working on this fic for over a year, and I'm so happy to find this place where I can share it!

BTW, I'm a newbie.  Hello!

Chapter Question

4 years ago
You can publish, but once you publish something you can't make any changes without unpublishing it. Once you've unpublished it, you can add chapters all you want. However, beware: some readers won't really read re-published stories. You will be much better off waiting until the entire thing is done and completed before you publish it. Welcome to the site!

Chapter Question

4 years ago
Commended by JJJ-thebanisher on 8/24/2019 2:04:16 AM

Ogre covered it pretty well.

I just want to add that unlike some writing sites, this site highly discourages publishing 'chapter by chapter'. In fact, doing so is really not the standard or the expectation. Unpublishing and republishing a story will also mean it no longer shows under the new games section, it will also retain all comments (which means the comments may be misleading if you changed a lot). Demos are also almost always disliked.

Here it is highly encouraged to published finished works.

With that said, if you want feedback or to share an incomplete storygame, there is a sneak preview option under storygame settings which allows the storygame to be accessed without being published. If you actually want feedback when doing this, it is a good idea to make a thread in the Writing Workshop so that people know you actually want feedback (as sneak preview is on by default).

You can also just ask general questions if you don't have anything you wish to share, but keep in mind this can make the feedback more generic and potentially less useful. Really depends on what you are looking for.

HOWEVER if you want to work on something with parts, it is doable (just look at Homo Perfectus [author profile]). This can be quite the undertaking so it is generally not recommended if you are new to branching narrative writing. You would also want each storygame to be able to stand on its own (in some capacity at least).

Also, adding additional things to a storygame after it has been published can be done, but it is tricky (just look at Eternal), I wouldn't recommend trying to do this tho because of all it requires. However it is technically possible if you have a specific goal.

I'd recommend just sharing WIP's with the sneak preview feature, as this tends to require the least work (since you don't have to finish anything, since to publish you need a complete storygame [unless you want it taken down]). Since you seem to have written something already but not finished it (the fanfic) this is the option I recommend.

Anyhow, welcome to the site!

Chapter Question

4 years ago
Looks like Zake pretty much said it all. He's good at that.

I'll add Will11's Magellan series as a more recent example of a story published in parts.

But welcome to the site! If it's just feedback you're needing on the story as you go, try asking about proofreaders in Writing Workshop.

Chapter Question

4 years ago

I should've used better examples, pointing at easy enough to find stories doesn't accomplish much.

Magellan is a good one, even something like the Orion Chronicles would work (with two stories so far: Marooned on Giri Minor & Secret of the Grass Planet).

But this isn't a thread asking for recommendations, so I'll just pretend that I went with the simpler examples... or something.

Chapter Question

4 years ago
With the last part a few years overdue giving a good example of why publishing in parts can be a bad idea :D

Welcome to the site :)