Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Need suggestions for a small group of children

3 years ago

Hi there,

I have organised a small group of children aged 10-13 years who would like to play different Choose Your Own Adventure stories with the help of one adult facilitating all this. The kids will be playing on Zoom but the session only lasts 2 hours so it would be great if they can do several different ones.

There are so many to choose from and I don't know where to start! Preferably it would be something with a good rating but doesn't go for too long in case the kids lose interest. Something fantasy related that's age appropriate. Lots of visuals would be great since one has autism and another has a learning disability. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much for the assistance :) 

3 years ago

Here are two threads covering a similar topic:

See if any of the mentioned storygames work.

With that said, the majority of stories on this site don't have pictures.

There are two which are basically all pictures (that I could recall), but I could only find one:

Maybe someone else can help you out more.

3 years ago
Repeating the suggestion for Legend of Green Lake I had in the second thread. It's got sound and images and might hold the attention of a younger reader better than most of the what's here.

We have a lot of kids in that age range stumble upon the site on their own, but there's not a whole lot here written specifically for children that don't have a more advanced interest in reading. The stories are more like interactive novels than games for the most part and a lot of words on the screen at once is encouraged as the norm.

3 years ago
@digimonforevz

What day are you going to start the activity, and is this something you'll be doing multiple weeks?

It might be possible for a few quick adventure stories to be written for this, especially if you're looking for smaller ones anyway.

3 years ago

I agree! We often do writing prompts or contests for such things. If there are any additional themes or topics you would like to see appear is stories, consider putting together a list so people can pick one and tackle it for you. That being said, there are only a few skilled artists on this site that could make you an original picture book (that I know of). 

Edit: perhaps the kids would want to vote for their favorite story, and we can use this as a contest.

3 years ago
I think we may be a little contested out at the moment (don't forget Camelon's is still going!) but as a just for fun thing a short kid's story of a few thousand words wouldn't be hard to do if someone needed a break from their main projects.

Even if the timing doesn't work out for this particular situation, it'd be nice to have a few and a list on hand the next time something like this comes up.

3 years ago

Good point! I agree with everything.

3 years ago

... Okay, is it just me or did anyone else read the title of this thread and immediately jump to the conclusion that it was some random pedo looking for advice on expanding his collection? :p

3 years ago
I recommend Chinese kids, they're cheap and mass produced but they get the job done. Will11 can hook them up with a supplier.

Also the OP never bothered to log in again so that's right bitch, we're making pedo jokes in your thread now, how do you like it.