Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Help.

3 years ago

In a storygame I am making, at the start you select the type of character you want to be. You pick like a certain "class" I guess you can call it, that gives you class specific items, and a "skill" specific to that class. (The skill is used as an item with unlimited uses.) How do you make it to where you cant just simply go back and pick up all of the skills and class specifc items, as that would really break the storygame. 

Thank you. 

Help.

3 years ago
First -- you probably shouldn't bother. While there are ways to prevent this kind of "cheating," if someone wants to cheat your game, they're likely going to find a way. Either that or you will spend days and weeksn just trying to build anti-cheating into the game while you could have been writing a nice story. However, if you want a little of this prevention, you can set all the variables instead of one. In other words, if you're giving someone one point in fighting for following a certain link and one point in hiding for following a different link, you could, for each link, set the other value to zero. In other words, when they select fighting, give them a point in fighting and zero in everything else.

Help.

3 years ago
Give them the items using scripting:Link for boomers like Mizal to some things I picked up living as a young hustler in the frog ghetto.

Help.

3 years ago
Going back with the browser's back button (which 90% of readers use) will reset the last variable change and not create these problems.

I wouldn't spend too much time trying to prevent someone from cheating though, if they feel it's worth the effort to go against the intentions of the game in obvious ways, they're not hurting anything except potentially ruining their own experience in a way they can't blame anybody else for.