Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Help! I'm New and I Can't Find Stats!

2 years ago

Hello! As you can already guess, I'm new to CYS, the "cooler Daniel" of CVS. I've read a multitude of amazing stories on this forum, with one of my favorites being The Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost by mizal. One of the features in mizal's story that I really appreciated was the stats: I could see all the progress with the choices I'd made so far, including the skills I had cultivated within my character (whom I called Diana.) Sadly, that small detail I came to love hasn't been found in any of the other stories I've tried playing (and trust me, there were a lot.)

If any of you could point the way to similar stories with the stats feature, I'd truly appreciate it!

Also, I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum. I just thought that since I'm A) new and B) asking for help, this was the best forum to post in.

Thanks again for tuning in! :)

2 years ago
Welcome to the site.

Oh, and good job, @mizal.

As for stats, they're not automatic, they're custom in any story that wants to put them in, so there are absolutely zero that will match that story exactly.

2 years ago

Happy to be here! :)

And that's a shame :/ I think most stories would be more enjoyable if they had stats but to each their own. Do you possibly have any recommendations for stories that also have stats? It doesn't have to match mizal's story exactly -- I'd just like to explore other stories with a similar feature :)

2 years ago
First two I can think of are Delve and Dungeon Stompage

2 years ago

The former made by Killa_Robot, and the latter by EndMaster respectively.

2 years ago
^And I love that Dead Man Walking game of yours Thara!

2 years ago

You have me mistaken. The wonderful story, Dead Man Walking, also seems to be made by mizal. Wow. 

2 years ago
I thought Wizzy wrote that?

2 years ago
Well to be fair, Mizal has written most of the stories on the site.

2 years ago

I glanced at the RPG tag, and Awakening of the Tower by Positive and MyVacation by SindriV also use stats, though the latter is a very different genre, and the stats are of the type found in the Sims.

2 years ago

Ah, Awakening of the Tower. A fantastic game by Berka. 

Oh, and I see you've also posted my game, in MyVacation. 

Thanks! 

2 years ago

Ooh, interesting... I'll check those out! Thanks for the recommendations! :D

2 years ago
What is it about stats that makes a storygame that isn't trying to be an RPG more enjoyable?

Just wanted to know so that I can incorporate this feedback into my upcoming epic, Legacy of Dracula's Castle.

2 years ago
Finally, a teenage vampire romance story!

2 years ago
Sparkly

2 years ago
Ogre's just confused (as usual) and thinking of Dragula's Castle, my upcoming release on CoG.

2 years ago

Personally, stats make the story 100% easier to navigate and understand. I'd panic all the time thinking I forgot something important, and since I didn't have stats, I couldn't remember what I was possibly forgetting and I'd lose interest in the story. That's just my two cents, though.

Also, I'll be patiently awaiting for Legacy of Dracula's Castle. You're an amazing writer, and since I'm already hooked on Price of Freedom, I can't wait to find that same spark in Legacy of Dracula's Castle! :)

2 years ago

Unfortunately she'll never finish Price of Freedom because she's a lazy bitch.

2 years ago

*gasp* That's so mean!/lh (lh for lighthearted, just so you know I'm only messing around... cuz words get confusing online, lol) Have more faith in mizal, I'm sure they'll finish it!... eventually... XD

2 years ago

Not a chance in hell! She's personally told me that she was planning on finishing the story at one point, but then she started making large origami giraffes and has found it a far more productive use of her time.

2 years ago

To be fair, large origami giraffes are pretty fun to make. And complicated... But not to fear! I am emotionally stubborn and will give mizal the benefit of the doubt as I wait... and wait... and wait... and wait...

2 years ago

I can't believe it. I've never seen anyone unironically use autism tags in the wild before.

2 years ago

And for a moment in the savannah, the tiny bean wiggles her way out of her home to find a tall boulder to stand upon, raises her head towards the skies, and unironically yells, "I don't understand online social cues!" before disappearing back into her burrow.

(In other words, it's a blessing and a curse... cuz I take everything as a joke until I realize too late something wasn't meant to be taken as a joke and end up making a fool outta myself.)

2 years ago
Can confirm.

2 years ago

(I know, it's a joke, but I just want to share my utmost valuable opinion.) I just like managing numbers and stats. I think of these things more of as a sort of resource management game. You have only this many points for this many tasks. To be honest, my monkey brain goes kind of ballistic when I see stats in any storygame or game. It plays into my love for making tables and spreadsheets. It's just very relaxing.

2 years ago
I don't like stats precisely because they make whatever wonderful story the author might have created a secondary and less important thing, and immediately put me into minmaxing strategy mode.

It's not about the roleplaying choices that feel interesting or natural at that point, it's all a long game of passing the skill checks.

2 years ago

But Mizal, you wrote Price of Freedom, the best stats-based game on this website. Why the sudden change of heart?

2 years ago
Look I think we've established I've written almost every game ever published on this site, including a 400k word count Sonic the Hedgehog fanfic. Doesn't mean I'm proud of them all.

2 years ago

Well at least you wrote Eternal. ^_^

2 years ago

Ah, The Price of Freedom. 

One of mizal's best works. 

2 years ago
Thanks, but Avery deserves a little credit too. She found a typo one time, and I fixed it.

2 years ago

I'm helpful. ^_^

2 years ago
Of course. Definitely. For sure. Undoubtedly. Very helpful.

2 years ago
To tell the truth it wasn't even a real typo, you were just insisting honor should be spelled huonuour and had clearly been hitting the marmalade pretty hard, so I just went along with it.

2 years ago

I think you'll find it's hounouour.

2 years ago
Welcome to CYS ~ Good luck with any stories you want to bring to this format!

2 years ago

It's 1:20 a.m. and I just realized that mizal was not, in fact, the writer of POF:IL, but someone who commended the story (for obvious reasons.) The real writer is @Avery_Moore and I am, quite honestly, mortified I made such a newbie mistake (but not at all surprised.)

Kudos to a very special penguin (not their real tag, I'm just not sure if I should mention them or not since it was a private DM so... yeah, still not sure about the underground laws, lol) for calling me out on my mistake.

And kudos to y'all for playing on with my mistake. I would have never known lmao

2 years ago
I think everyone just assumed you were trolling.

2 years ago

I didn't. I was just having too much fun to say anything. :p

2 years ago
Yeah, we usually act without much reason around here haha!

2 years ago
Why is that, do you think?

2 years ago
It has something to do with entropy and the laws of thermal underwear or something like that.

2 years ago
The thermite underwear are definitely a factor, yes.

2 years ago
^Now there's something I never want to try again!

2 years ago
Look, say what you will, but it was still a step up from the termite underwear.

2 years ago
At least he's wearing underwear... now...