Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hello there! - Questions on stories and profile

2 years ago
Hi !

I just made my account today, but it's been two weeks since I started reading stories here. It's been a while since the last time I opened a book, and I must say this website gave me back the passion of reading and writing.

Since I'm French, I know I'll have a hard time to write something decent on the first try. How do I do if I want someone to read a story, looking for misspellings, before the story is published ?
Also, is there anyway to preview our own profile to see how it looks like with the description and all ?

Any other advices is good to know too :)

2 years ago
Nevermind about the profile question, I just clicked on my name after sending my post....

2 years ago

Fuera de aquí cerdo imperialista! Las armas nacionales se cubrirán de gloria otra vez! 

2 years ago
Lol

How can you be so mean to a cute penguin holding a baguette?

2 years ago

These French "people" are nothing but degenerates and hedonists, worthy of nothing but contempt.

2 years ago

I guess he is jealous because we have better bread... >:)

2 years ago
True story

2 years ago

If you want someone to take a look at your story before you publish it, you should post a link to it in the Writing Workshop. I suggest you read through some of the more popular games before you go about making your own story.

2 years ago
First thing I'll mention, if you click HERE you'll see that the site is encouraging foreign language games this Spring. I'm not sure at this point if anyone will be writing any, so if you wrote something decent in French you might be able to single handedly rescue this sad dud of a jam.

Unless of course you meant it not as an issue of language, but rather were implying the French are just bad writers in general. In which case, well alrighty then, I certainly would not want to be the one to contradict your lived experience.

Otherwise, what Wizzy said, get a decent amount of writing done first, and then make a thread on the Writing Workshop asking for help. If the story is set to Sneak Peek in Storygame Properties, all you have to do is provide the URL and anyone can read over it without you needing to publish it first. (Or co authoring is a possibility that would let them edit directly, but only do that with someone you trust.)

And also, yes, reading some of the more popular games to get an idea of reader expectations is a good idea. CYS is all community driven and readers here tends to have higher quality standards than most other writing sites you might be used to. It's a really good sign that you're thinking ahead to the need for a proofreader actually.

2 years ago
Also, I really have to know what sort of internship brings you to a writing site.

2 years ago

There is clearly no link between my internship and the website. It was just me not doing my work and losing time on the internet. Also thank you for reminding me of the contest. I'll think about it. Just to warn you (but I guess you already know), judging or even reading stories using an online translator will be a rather strange/funny experience. From what I experienced using French to English translators, all our turns of phrases or expressions end up totally messed up and with a different meaning.

In a way it may enhance the experience, but I don't know if the romanticism will remain.

2 years ago
Is it going to be romantic Sonic fanfic?

2 years ago

Despite my love for the franchise, I'll not do that. I think I'm not very talented (and not experienced for sure) with romanticism anyway. I was thinking about writing a story linked to the "Food and cooking" theme, unless you really want me to go the other way. It's fine since I don't have any idea yet.

2 years ago
Lol, I think most people would prefer it your way.

We did have a guy post a 400,000 word Sonic pic early this year, but then he took it down I guess because it was getting mediocre ratings for being linear. I think someone figured out it was a fanfic he'd posted elsewhere and just tacked some instant death choices to to put it here.

Fanfic is not one of the more popular categories here in general, it's obviously a bit limited to people who enjoy or are at least somewhat knowledgeable of the thing you're writing about, unless you really take care to introduce setting specific info like you would in any other story and don't just assume readers will know what you're talking about.

2 years ago

I see what you mean. I tried the huge "Neon Evangelion" fanfic, and it wasn't bad. I was obviously lost because I didn't watched the anime yet, but the atmosphere was here (after reading it I realised the good ending was the actual ending of the series, making it the biggest spoiler I ever had). I may try writing a fanfic one day, but I'm not sure what universe I'd choose.

Aslo, I thought about your comment on the penguin, and it gave me an idea for an humoristic love story. I can't promise anything but I'll dig into that on days to come.

2 years ago

Oh and you'll never hear me saying that French are bad at writing in general. I was obviously talking about the difficulty of going into English writing when its not your native language. I could never have the passion to read in the first place if French were bad writers.

2 years ago
Welcome to the site. I do hope you enjoy your time here.

And tbf, your English here in this post is easy to understand and pretty much correct. In fact, it's better than some stories that have been posted here in the past. But yes, I do realize there's going to be issues with writing stories with feelings and emotions and such crap, and that might not translate so well, but good luck!

2 years ago

Thank you !

2 years ago
Zat eez a mighty fine baguette!

(But we already got one. Eet eez vary nize.)

2 years ago

The bonus you gave me (I guess it was you) made my day.

Merci beaucoup my friendz...

2 years ago
Soitenly! ^v^