Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hi, im new

2 years ago
I just want to introduce myself. Im gonna read a bunch of this site's stories

Hi, im new

2 years ago
That's a good plan: we have a lot of stories here.

Welcome to the site.

Hi, im new

2 years ago

Welcome! We have quite a large bunch of stories here and I've even read a few, so if you have anything specific in mind then feel free to ask!

Hi, im new

2 years ago
I just finished The price of freedom: innocence lost and i'm interested in games like that.
Any recommendations?

Hi, im new

2 years ago

If you want to read more of this author then I can recommend you the lawless ones (It's free to play here with this link): https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/the-lawless-ones-previously-villains-completed-remake-in-the-works/30192

I always found price of freedom always a bit unique and a general oddball of the site since stat-based games are not a norm here. (I have mostly read the fantasy corner, so most of my recommendations will come from that genre. The one marked in red have more sensitive material than POF in case you're underage.)

If you really like the sad and gritty feel

I found that rogues and necromancer fit the bill. I do lean against rogues as the tone is about the same as price of freedom

If you really like the combat aspect then there are also plenty of hidden gems: 

Arakhan’s Vengeance: For a person who doesn't particularly like combat scenes, the scenes were sleek as hell. I had replayed it multiple times. 

Delve!: It plays like a genuine RPG. (Also check out the author if you like more gamey storygames.)

If you like the chapter based/story arc like structure

The best example that I have read is "the book of vanishing tales" where most of the arcs can be enjoyed as separate entities, but are interlinked in a larger narrative.

You also have "the tale of the foolish princess" which does it a bit more loosely.

If you like stat managing in particular

You have them in two flavors

the Magellan series: The ending is more or less set in stone, but you have to carefully manage them in order not to die. 

The knights of the golden sun: these stats don't have an effect on the flow of the story, but do have an effect on the ending 

Hi, im new

2 years ago
PoF is great but kind of unique here. We've got a shortage of historical fiction games unfortunately, and games with the skills and stats and all aren't made very often here. (Even though they're simple to set up with the editor for anyone who knows what a variable is.)