Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Time Management

one year ago

I've always struggled with balancing work, life, and writing. As of recently (literally just last night) I set up a writing schedule where i block out three hours every day in January to write and be left alone. As I've never done anything like that before, I don't know how successful it will be. Just in case that falls through or if anyone has suggestions that may go along with this one, I'd greatly appreciate the help. What also goes hand in hand with this is burnout, another thing I struggle with. If there is anything I can do to avoid burnout that would probably aid in my time management. 

Time Management

one year ago
Three hours seems like a lot. I suggest having a firm start time and no set end. If you're in the groove you'll go for a while, and knowing you can stop at any time will help avoid burnout.

Time Management

one year ago

That's not a bad idea. It'd also let me figure out what I can and can't handle. Thanks!

Time Management

one year ago

Here's some general advice on crafting a schedule to suit your writing style:

1) Don't be too ambitious. I agree with Ninja that three hours is a lot, particularly since you've never done a schedule before, so that is going to put you at a strong risk of burnout. My goal for the past three weeks has been 100 words daily, which is very low, but it's working out to an average of 844 daily, since the hard part is just getting started. So I strongly recommend under-setting your goal rather than over-setting it. The usual recommended starter's amount is 15 minutes, or 100 words if you're doing a word-count based goal.

2) Have a backup plan. If you're not meeting your goal, pick a smaller goal rather than giving up on it altogether.

3) Some people do better with time-based schedules, others prefer word-count-based ones. If you find yourself having difficulty committing to a set chunk of time, you might want to switch to a word count goal. Experiment with both and see what works best for you.

4) Know your writing moods. Do you have a specific time of day you write best during? Do you like to eat before or after eating/sleeping/exercising? Do you need to get your writing done before doing work/homework, or can you not focus on writing until you get other tasks done?

5) Count writing only. Brainstorming, editing, and researching is fun, but I recommend against counting it towards your daily writing goals. Too much brainstorming/researching/editing without writing to match it can suffocate your work.

6) Have a project in mind. If you're writing 3000 words a day, but each day you're writing "chapter one" of a new story, you're not getting anything done. Pick an idea you're excited enough about that you don't mind committing to it for the long haul. If you're not excited enough about your idea to write about it every day for months, you should be picking an idea that excites you more. (Unless you're writing short stories--then you can afford to be less focused.)

7) Keep track of your progress. Have a document where you write down how much time/how many words you do every day. Watching your progress accumulate is a big motivator.

Time Management

one year ago

I have tried word goals and they tend to distract me more than help me, as for everything else though you bring up great points, especially the sixth one as I do have trouble focusing.

Time Management

one year ago
Just open a blank page and start writing lol

Time Management

one year ago

Hang Myself Noose GIF - Hang Myself Noose Tying Noose GIFs

Time Management

one year ago
Is that for writing, avoiding burnout, or just a general suggestion?

Time Management

one year ago

Yes.

Time Management

one year ago
Yes.

Time Management

one year ago

Sometimes hanging around is the best idea