Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Rogues Praising Thread

4 years ago

@Dusty_Old_Tome
You seem to have good taste in storygames.  Which is your favorite that you have so far?

Rogues Praising Thread

4 years ago

That's an excellent question be it one that I may struggle to answer!. Judging on the few that I've read so far, I've got to say that "Rogues" was probably the best. Superb world building, excellent dialogue  and realistic characters in a realistic setting despite being a fantasty-lite universe. Until then, I hadn't played a "Choose Your Own Adventure" which focused on the adventure rather than the choice so I thought that was neat too. I also thought that the choices given to you were also quite meaningful and heavily impacted the story which is ironically not too common among some of the stories that I've read.

Overall an excellent work by an excellent author.

Rogues Praising Thread

4 years ago
You know you really should take everything you just wrote and post it as a comment on the story, there's more to this post than most of the reviews there.

Rogues Praising Thread

4 years ago

What Mizal said.  

Rogues is definitely one of the best stories.  The branching style and the way EndMaster uses choices is my personal favorite.  It also adds a lot of replayability and makes it easier to find every page, which is nice.  

Which path was your favorite?

Rogues Praising Thread

4 years ago

Definitely. One of the problems of the "dialogue and fighting" story choices is that it can be a bit hard to traverse the story if you want to replay it. This wouldn't be a problem that authors like EndMaster would have to deal with.

I'd be inclined to choose Epilogue 9 since that was the first epilogue that I ever got and it easily one of the better story branches by far. Nevertheless, moving to the island did break the narrative to a degree and in retrospect, made the story feel to be in two parts rather than one over-arching story which seems to be the main objective of the author. Still a great path though.

Therefore, being objective as possible, the best path/s would have to be Epilogue 10 ;for it's many narrative themes, grandiose structure of the characters and scenes and a story of a broken romantic cleverly woven into a epic fantasy conflict and Epilogue 12 ;for being a heartfelt, charming tale in a incredibly grounded setting and a cyclical narrative which didn't feel cliche (hard to pull of in my own opinion) but made complete sense. 

Both of these Epilogue lived up to the title but obviously for very different reasons.

I must retort, which path/s was your favourite and if I may, which path/s were your least favourite?

Rogues Praising Thread

4 years ago

Eternal Harbringer is probably the ending which interested me the most viewing it in the most twisted way possible (a bit of a spoiler incoming).

You played as a broken empowered man, found out the secret to immortality (sort of), went through actual hell and back in the process of selfish desires, then fought a badly one sided war against the undead, and then the final choice which made it interesting. Was that he offered you the same choice presented at the beginning: Beg,Struggle,or Die.

Least favorite? I'd go with the eternal messiah. Long story short, fuck Dendrin. He turned me into a muppet, and the character doesn't know it.

Rogues Praising Thread

4 years ago

They were asking about Rouges I think.

Rogues Praising Thread

4 years ago

wrong thread -_-

Rogues Praising Thread

4 years ago

Agreed.  Replay value is one of the biggest draws to CYOA for me.  

Epilogue 10 was a fun one, if it's the one I'm thinking of.  Always nice to see siblings getting along.  XD

The vampire paths were my favorite.  Isabella is hilarious and the best waifu, and I like the doppelganger's character a lot too.  Plus they're a little different from most paths in that there isn't much focus on the Ebony Claw and other gangs.  It makes for a nice change in pace.  I think the first ending I got was one with Lisa, but it's been a while. 

There were no paths I can say I didn't like really.  I really didn't like Annah at first, but her character development made her early annoyingness worth it.  

Rogues Praising Thread

4 years ago

Thara thought I based Lisa on her, but I actually didn't.

Rogues Praising Thread

4 years ago

I can't say I wouldn't have been a little concerned about Thara if you had.  XD

Rogues Praising Thread

4 years ago

Rogues is also progressive.  

"“Well we doppelgangers are pretty flexible about it all for obvious reasons, but yes, I personally identify as female. Can’t you tell?” she says"

Rogues Praising Thread

4 years ago

I enjoyed writing that whole dialog between Kayla and the Rogue over her race's gender stuff.

Rogues Praising Thread

4 years ago

It was a very fun scene.  

The part where she asks him not to call her doppy or whatever at the end of that killed me.  XD