Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Writing Schedules & Styles

one year ago

I've been experimenting with some changes in writing schedule recently, and I'm curious about what approaches other people take towards their writing. What do you all do for your writing?

Do you have a regular schedule at all? If so, do you have a daily/weekly word count goal? A time-based goal? Or just start writing at at specific time and see where it goes? Or do no writing at all 99% of days, and get 5000 words in a day for the two days preceding a contest deadline?

How much writing is "a lot" for you? Is 1000 words in a day rare, or common, or common for days you write but otherwise rare?

Do you generally keep to a single project, or work intermittently on whatever interests you? Do you prefer working on short projects or long ones? Do you write exclusively storygames for CYS, or lots of other things too? Do you find that the type of project impacts what writing schedule works best? What are you working on now?

If you've had multiple different writing schedules in the past, what works best for you? What wouldn't you try again? What do you recommend?

Do you have a specific writing environment? Or can you work anywhere? Do you have a specific software (or pencil) you prefer?

Basically, I'm just curious about what works for different people. Be cool to see your answers!

one year ago
What is this "writing" thing of which you speak?

one year ago

Do you have a regular schedule at all?

No.

If so, do you have a daily/weekly word count goal?

No.

A time-based goal?

No.

Or just start writing at at specific time and see where it goes?

Sure, let's go with that.

Or do no writing at all 99% of days, and get 5000 words in a day for the two days preceding a contest deadline?

Let's go with that too. Eliminate the contest reference.

How much writing is "a lot" for you? Is 1000 words in a day rare, or common, or common for days you write but otherwise rare?

Have no real idea since I never bother counting the words when I actually write. I usually won't bother checking the word count until I've completed a major portion of a particular storyline. (Which could be over the course of several months)

Do you generally keep to a single project, or work intermittently on whatever interests you?

Well I used to focus on one project at time, though nowadays I tend to get distracted with other ideas. Still, I'm usually still focusing on one main one.

Do you prefer working on short projects or long ones?

I actually wish I could do smaller projects, but I usually end up writing way more. Granted a lot of my stories are probably considered on the short side since many don't even reach 100K. They seem long enough to me though.

Do you write exclusively storygames for CYS, or lots of other things too?

Writing is my fun time, I'd hate to write under some deadline or for work. So mostly just writing here (Banned everywhere else anyway lol)

Do you find that the type of project impacts what writing schedule works best?

No.

What are you working on now?

Well officially I'm supposed to be working on Paradise Fortress, the sequel to Paradise Violated, but there's a horror story I have mind that I sort of been feeling drawn to work on a bit. Might flip back and forth, who knows.

If you've had multiple different writing schedules in the past, what works best for you?

Nope, never bothered with a writing schedule. What I've been doing for decades now seems to be still working.

What wouldn't you try again?

Probably wouldn't try making a story with game elements again. Once was enough.

What do you recommend?

Hell if I know.

Do you have a specific writing environment? Or can you work anywhere?

I mean as long as there's a comfortable place to sit or lay down, I have enough downtime and I got the laptop, I can write if I feel motivation to.

Do you have a specific software (or pencil) you prefer?

Not really, I've just been using Microsoft Word for all this stuff though for years, so I'm used to that I guess.