Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Nutrition and Diet Discussion

9 years ago

That's silly. There's nothing unhealthy about a low meat diet. A no meat diet is also perfectly acceptable as long as you clearly understand what it is that your body needs in the way of nutrition.

9 years ago

Doctor Kiel is doctor.

9 years ago
Well, in all fairness, I had one spell a few weeks ago, where I went pale and had very little energy. I was under a lot of stress, though, because I missed out on the deadline for a really large paper in Sociology. My dad and his girlfriend kept trying to tell me that I was going anemic because I wasn't eating enough red meat. XD

9 years ago

*cough* ... "A no meat diet is also perfectly acceptable as long as you clearly understand what it is that your body needs in the way of nutrition."

It's not the red meat you need, it's the nutrients in it. If you are becoming anemic, then you're doing something wrong. If you have iron deficiency anemia and don't want to eat red meat, then either eat the right seafood ... say, sardines, pilchards, crab, anchovies, shrimps, mussels ... or, alternatively, if you're okay with eggs, eat those.

Alternatively, there's plant sources such as hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, peanuts, pecans, walnuts, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, broccoli, spinach, watercress, kale, peas, lentils, chickpeas, black-eyed beans, kidney beans, raisins, apricots, prunes, currants, figs...

However, if it's a folic acid deficiency and you're not down with eating kidneys and such, you need brussels sprouts, asparagus, spinach, kale, broccoli, spring beans, green beans, cabbage, cauliflower, okra, lettuce, parsnips, peas, beansprouts, chickpeas, black beans, or fortified breakfast cereal.

9 years ago

My mouth is watering.  Is it okay if I don't give up red meat, and still stuff myself off your list?  : )

9 years ago

Haha... sure. Everything in moderation and you're good. Red meat is healthy enough so long as it's consumed in the right amount. (I have to agree, though, there's some good stuff on that list. Makes me wish I had more time in the day, I miss cooking.)

9 years ago

If it weren't for eating, I'd probably get no exercise at all.  :)

There's nothing like slaving away in the garden under the hot summer sun, and then in the kitchen.  It makes the veggies sooo much better!

9 years ago

Lol.

Mhm. My mom had a vegetable garden when I was a kid and I helped out a lot with it. We also had full grown fig trees in our backyard when we moved in, which was kind of awesome. I miss that. Actually, I think that's why I love figs today. I mean, I like the taste, but the nostalgia...  

9 years ago

I like to put out a big garden with a bit of variety every year, and try to grow new things.

We have apple, peach, pear, plum and cherry trees.  We also have several walnut and mulberries.

I also like to add poke sallet and morels whenever I can.

9 years ago
I guess I should've stated that I do eat a large amount of kale, spinach, certain beans and other pulses, such as lentils. I eat a wide and varied diet. I will also eat an occasional spinach omelet. Hummus is also a favorite of mine. I am fairly certain that I do not have an iron deficiency.

9 years ago

Ahh, ok. I misinterpreted what you were saying, I guess. "Wide and varied diet" is most definitely the way to do vegetarian (and is an absolute must for vegan,) so, good to know. Though, for clarification, I'm aware you're not a vegetarian, hehe. I thought you leaned more toward pescetarianism at one point, but as I understand, you do still eat non-seafood meat sometimes.

9 years ago
Actually, for full disclosure, I have not eating any meat but seafood in the last few months. Most of my meals do not contain any animal flesh. Occasionally, I will cave and eat fish, like last night, I ate some tuna when I went over to my friend's house for her birthday party. I really, really try to stay away from chicken and red meat, though.

I apologize for any ambiguity.

9 years ago

Ok, so ... pescetarianism is the correct term for your current diet, then. :P Dunno why you call it 'caving,' since eating tuna is fairly healthy. Good ol'  omega-3s. And you're staving off developing atrial fibrillation! (*suddenly craving Tuna* Dammit.)

9 years ago
Well, most people cock their heads when I say 'pescetarian'. I also feel that I derive enough of my protein from plant sources to call myself a vegetarian, since I always eat vegetarian meals when I have access to a kitchen. Now, occasionally, someone will invite me out for dinner and I can't find anything vegetarian. So, I usually end up compromising and eating fish (sushi, grilled salmon, etc.). Yeah, I don't think of fish as unhealthy or anything, but I have been trying to go without any meat, so when I do have to eat fish, it feels like a cave-in to me.

Edit: Seeing your edit, I am kinda craving Pasta al Tonno. Damn you, Kiel. XD

9 years ago

Well ... a lot of people also don't actually know the difference between being a vegetarian and a vegan. I knew at like, 14, 15, but the first time I heard about a pescetarian diet was in college. I mean, I knew it existed, I just didn't know there was a term until that point. It actually kind of irks me now when people who eat fish or chicken on a regular basis say they're vegetarian, since that's just... not what it means. >_>'

Is it just because of personal convictions that you don't want to eat any animals or do you really feel a full vegetarian diet is healthiest?

(xD I regret nothing!)

9 years ago
"It actually kind of irks me now when people who eat fish or chicken on a regular basis say they're vegetarian, since that's just... not what it means. >_>"

Are you including me in this demographic? I did use the label pescetarian for a while, but that was when I did eat fish on a regular basis. I don't eat it but maybe once or twice a month now, if that. I have had to explain to several people the difference in difference between vegetarians and vegans, though.

Edit: Oh, I didn't see your edit. I'm actually going vegetarian for a variety of reasons. I imagine that if I was to list them all out, you would miss this edit. Also, what do you mean that you regret nothing?

9 years ago

:P ... Well, I wasn't, but now that you mention it; technically--if you eat fish at all, even if it's rare, you're not actually a vegetarian.

9 years ago
Sorry, I couldn't tell where you were initially going with that. But, going off of what you said, can anyone be truly vegetarian? Insects have a tendency of being really good at hiding in veggies.

9 years ago

You're joking, right? I wash my vegetables before I eat them, I dunno about you. Even just inspecting them before eating them ought to tell you you're not eating bugs and I also tend to look at my food before I eat it, but again, I dunno what your pre-munching rituals are.  

9 years ago
Okay, I'll quit while I'm behind. But, yes, I do wash my food.

9 years ago

It's kind of like when the so-called Christians in my area talk against the free lunch program.  Are kids K-8 supposed to go out and get jobs if their parents can't afford to buy them lunch?  (Just one of my peeves.)

9 years ago

Not all "Christians" act like Christians, just like some atheists still say "Oh my God" :P stupid people come from all walks of life.

9 years ago

It's just a cryin' shame that they have to share the same air I breathe.  ; )

I have a great tolerance for dumb, but none for stupidity.

9 years ago

Dammit Kiel i cant go back to my thread without needing to cook a steak dinner.

9 years ago

Oops. xD

9 years ago

Really, the only reason people say "you need red meat" is because it's a hell of a lot easier to get a day's worth of iron out of it, particularly liver. 1/4th of a pound of liver has over twice the minimum amount of iron you need as a man. (If you were a girl, it'd be a different story. They require over twice as much as dudes.)

9 years ago

Technically, you could eat an all meat diet if you ate the organs, but you can't do that anymore because now diseases have evolved in those organs, and they will fuck with your shit unless you cook it down into a carbon brick, in which case the nutrients that you needed from the organs would have been burnt to shit anyhow.

9 years ago

You need protein, Kiel. If you don't eat meat you're not giving your body protein, which means you'll have the weight of a new born, which is not healthy for a grown man.

9 years ago

Actually, no. Plants, especially beans, have proteins, which are wrapped up in fiber-rich packages. You can get all the protein you need from plants, so long as you're willing to shit more than usual.

9 years ago

The more I know now. Thanks.

9 years ago

And also, there's that whole "Fish doesn't Count" thing that a lot of vegetarians have, but for the most part, you can live entirely off of plants, even though it might not be the most convenient thing to do in the wilderness.

9 years ago

It is the most convenient thing.......plants won't try to fight you back if you try to eat them lol.

9 years ago

Not really, uness you have an arbitrary amount of plant knowledge, you might not know where to find the plants that contain all the nutrients that you need, whereas you know ducks and other animals aren't poisonous to eat if you cook them, unlike some plants, and they all have copious amounts of protein and iron and fats and all that. In civilization, we have all kinds of plants readily avaliable, to a point where a nutrition based entirely off of plants is a viable option, but, unless you know where to find positively everything you need and how to prepare it, you're probably just better off killing one of the animals and eating a salad along with it. That's the kind of meal choice that gave us the teeth we have today.

9 years ago

... Seriously? *sigh* Please don't jump into a conversation if you don't know anything about what's being said. I JUST listed a BUNCH of foods (the large majority of them being plants) that have the same nutrients you'd get out of eating red meat. Also, obviously you've never read the nutritional facts of anything with soy in it. One cup of soy beans = 68 grams of protein. Let's compare that to a hamburger, shall we? A hamburger with two beef pattys on it has 20 grams of protein.

Yes. I am telling you that there are vegans out there getting well over three times as much protein in their diet than you are. -_-

@Pursuit

9 years ago

Lol. Typical Internet... 

One person reads Wikipedia or Snopes and decides to lecture everyone based on their newfound knowledge. :P 

9 years ago
Just for the record, are you replying to Kiel or the guy above you?

9 years ago

Guy above me? Sounds kinky... 

9 years ago

Ha! Fool! You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

Meat is what makes this world go round. Without meat...we would be nothing.

When the colonists came to America and settled it, what gave them the strength to go on? Do you think it was opportunity? No! It was meat! During the Revolution, do you think we fought for freedom? No! We fought to keep our meat! When you are angry at the world and require something to take your anger out on, do you punch a tree? No! You punch meat! When a girl is dumped and realizes that she is depressed, does she eat a salad? No! She eats meat! When you know that you need to lose weight, do you eat grains and veggies? No! You eat meat! When your doctor tells you that you must cut down on your intake of meat, do you actually listen? No! You eat even MORE meat!

What gives you protein? Meat! What gives you muscle? Meat! What bleeds when you sink your teeth into it? Meat! What gave you diabetes? Meat!

Vegetables ain't got SHIT on meat! Pass the beef!

9 years ago

I've been going a no-vegetable diet for 17 years now. It will probably kill me one day but oh well.

9 years ago

And I will be there, to fuck your corpse in the asshole. 

9 years ago

Maybe so, but we're all going to die eventually, might as well die happy. I'm all for being healthy, mind you, and I lecture my patients on what they're supposed to do, but in the end, nobody knows when they're gonna go or how.

9 years ago

Eh, it's kinda ironic when someone's idea of dying happy requires the deaths of numerous various animals, many of which probably weren't raised and killed in the best of ways. Can't say I'd ever want to be a Halal goat.

"Um, hey, smelly bearded guy, do you think you can kill me, before you start screaming 'allahu ackbar' in my ears at the top of your lungs?"

9 years ago

Boo hoo, they are meant to be killed for our amusement hunger needs.

9 years ago
Umm...haha...no. Now, Australians, maybe. I mean, for the amusement, not hunger needs.

"Krikey, that's a big stingray comin' towards m- Oh, oh God"

9 years ago

Indeed.

Now while we're on the topic of nutrition and what goes into our bodies, have you ever tasted or known anyone who has tasted antifreeze?

9 years ago
Aside from a few local dogs, who obviously aren't with us anymore, no.

9 years ago

Nope. Does it taste like meat?

9 years ago
It tastes like honey syrup. You should try it. Just disregard my previous comment.

9 years ago

I really want to try it, I hear it's very sweet tasting. Problem is that it could possibly kill me. Decisions decisions.

9 years ago
Well, if you think about it, anything is edible...once.

9 years ago

Bricks are delicious. Shame about my teeth now though.

9 years ago

Couldn't you just avoid red meat and eat meat like Chicken and Fish?

9 years ago
Yes, and I did, for a while. Still, there are some nutrients that red meat has that you can't find in chicken and fish. Of course, you can get all of these nutrients from plant sources. But, then again, like Kiel was saying, so long as you have an adequate understanding of your nutritional needs, you can eat a completely vegetarian diet without any problems.

9 years ago

I heard somewhere on the news 7~ years ago that red meat helps with your heart.  Is it like the iron or something in it?