Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

My Story Has No Plot.

8 years ago

Um, it's called  Broadway, and I know that the MC will be a Guatemalan girl recruited to Broadway. What will happen in Broadway, you ask? I do not know.

My Story Has No Plot.

8 years ago

She has to solve a murder mystery, and it turns out there's a half-crab man behind it who's brutally murdering and cannibalising everyone because someone turned him into a crab so he couldn't star in the play.

My Story Has No Plot.

8 years ago

Can I steal this? 

My Story Has No Plot.

8 years ago

It's your story, so use your damn imagination. If you want help, then give us more details.

My Story Has No Plot.

8 years ago
She gets on a bus in Guatemala only to find out the offer was to go to Broadway, North Dakota, a town with a population of 112. The only waitress in town retired and they want her to take over, but since the town is so small, no one actually comes to the diner.

My Story Has No Plot.

8 years ago

They are only accepting male recruits and she and her colleague have to dress up as men which results in a plethora of laughs and failures and slapstick comedy and pedos, and eventually turns into a romantic comedy when they meet a guy who they both have a crush on, but will friendzone them because he claims he is no-homo. Then the whole thing will end with them riding on a yacht into the sunset. 

My Story Has No Plot.

8 years ago

None of these story ideas work unless you guys incorporate a magic whistle into them.

My Story Has No Plot.

8 years ago

I thought the magic whistle was a given. ^_^

My Story Has No Plot.

8 years ago

The getting ideas phase of starting a story is always kind of fascinating to me. Is it normal to determine to write a story while only being clear on one or two details of what it will contain? That's never how it's worked for me, but we get these kinds of threads so often. I'd almost consider starting a thread for people to discuss how their pre-writing creative process usually goes, but...meh, effort.

Beginning, for instance, is there some particular reason you went with a Guatemalan girl, and Broadway? Was this an idea that just hit you, or were those elements you'd been considering or thinking of for awhile?

My Story Has No Plot.

8 years ago

... One of the rare occasions I give out genuine advice, but why not try coming up with a plot BEFORE characters and location?

My Story Has No Plot.

8 years ago

Well to be fair, characters and setting do contribute to the development of the plot.

For me, most of my ideas begin with a scene that I gradually build onto and flesh out, and the details of the characters, setting, and the basics of the plot grow organically from that. 

I always have tons of ideas I just let simmer on the back burner awhile, revisiting them now and then to rework them a little until all the important bits click into place. I have to have a pretty solid idea of how things are going to go before it turns into a 'yes, I am going to write about this' kind of thing.  

My Story Has No Plot.

8 years ago

Honestly, I usually come up with plot last of all.