Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Why do people live in California?

5 years ago
Economically and morally bankrupt, overrun with crazy homeless people pissing and shitting everywhere like they think they're in India or something, and meanwhile normal people with normal jobs cannot afford any kind of decent living situation let alone saving money for emergencies or retirement. Also, large portions of the state are literally on fire at all times and you routinely suffer severe droughts.

Eventually you are all going to sink into the ocean and while that may be a short term solution for the 'on fire' and 'no water' situations, I'm not sure it could be considered an overall improvement. (except by the rest of the country)

I know there are a great many shithole states out there but California still somehow manages to keep this reputation of not being one and even of being a desirable place to be despite literally everyone I know who lives there being stressed out and miserable and/or semi-suicidal.

Those of you living there; why do you stay, and do you plan to stay forever? Have you seen any sign things are getting better instead of worse? What are some things wrong with the state that I forgot to list?

Bonus question: how actually prepared are you to have to suddenly evacuate or do anything but just sort of shrug and die if one of the major disaster scenarios ever comes about?

5 years ago

Well, some people are convinced that there is still gold. For some, it's because they want to go to Disneyland because they live near it in Los Angeles. Or maybe to live in San Fransisco. But overall, California is just a peaceful area, or at least out of the sity.

Bonus answer: Most people would have no clue of how to live if we plunged into some pirge and you couldn't get any food from Walmart or Burger King. But some of us can. As for a flood, well, I suppose they would be screwed, but then again, human will to survive may rule supreme and people would live. If we sink into the ocean, well, we may find a way, But as for me, I live near the middle of the state, so we would have time to escape.

5 years ago
You don't go to Disneyland if you live there, all the nice things are apparently for tourists only. When I visit my aunt and uncle in San Diego it's great, I go to the zoo and the museums and beaches and we drive out to the mountains and desert.

This is the only time my aunt and uncle actually go places because despite living just an hour away from all these fun and good things the rest of the year they both have to work 80 hours a week. And this is with them both making good money and doing really well for themselves compared to basically everyone they know.

My aunt manages five apartment complexes basically doing the work of five people. The renters could all be living in entire houses with nice backyards in a lot of other places if they were saner but they choose to cram themselves in with five other people and live like animals and stress about money every moment of their lives. (whenever they're not stressing about their schizo neighbor hanging around on the stairs with a homemade spear talking to himself, or whatever the latest lunatic the state of California won't allow her to kick out is up to this time...)

And no I don't think 'thinks there's still gold there' is the main reason anyone is living that way but feel free to prove me wrong.

5 years ago

I'm just basing off my father, here... he went to Disneyland all the time when he lived in L.A. Also, he believes there is still some gold up in the mountains, so, whatever... I would live here because of Santa Cruz. It's where I was born, near the beach, and is just so calm and relaxing. So, that might be why people live here in CA: memories. Of their childhood, because one of their parents lived there growing up, or because they were born there.

5 years ago

I've been in the Santa Barbara area for almost two years now and I don't see any signs of improvement. I think the beach (and beach babes) is what draws a lot of people to stay. 

Also, people suck at driving here and need to use their damn blinker. Like seriously, at least be courteous and warn me before you cut me off.

5 years ago

That's the city for you. In the more mountianish areas, people are (sometimes) courteous. The city people are usually worse at being nice.

5 years ago

They're just another LA devotee.

5 years ago

Because California has pretty much everything. 

5 years ago

This, in a geographical sense. California seems to be one of the few places that you can find desserts, mountains, and beaches in one region.

5 years ago
It takes money to move haha!

5 years ago
to get away from you

5 years ago

Hey Ford, that wasn't very nice. I think you should apologize to Mizal.

5 years ago
you picking a fight?

5 years ago

Do you want a fight?

5 years ago
sounds to me like you're picking one. who put you up to it?

5 years ago

I'm not picking a fight, Ford. You shouldn't be so rude to Mizal, or anyone for that matter. Is something wrong? Do you feel dissatisfied with your life?

5 years ago

California is basically awesome in the same way that West Virginia is "almost heaven". As soon as you leave the beautiful wilderness and the places where movies are made in order to go where people live, it's more or less hell, and anybody who gets the chance to leave high-tails it to Oregon, Nevada, and Colorado as fast as their secondhand Teslas can carry them. Everybody else is either rooted there by business, "farmland", family, and ""culture"", or they genuinely are so obscenely stupid My-High-School-Has-A-Lacrosse-Team-level rich that they literally do not have to give a fuck about any of that.

5 years ago

Being from around the San Diego area myself, I just love so much about it. The weather, the palm trees, the music (especially in the hip-hop scene), the food (especially the tacos. My God, the tacos) and the activities in the area (Disneyland, Legoland, Seaworld, etc.)

5 years ago

To attend a prestigious university while receiving in-state tuition.

5 years ago
In the state of California you can be imprisoned for handing someone a plastic drinking straw.

Deliberately giving them AIDS is still fine though.

5 years ago

Well that's why you make sure there's AIDS blood on the straw before giving it to someone.

5 years ago

The classic two birds with one stone. I like it.