Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

I am aware this is an international site but I don't know how large.

So where are you from and if U.S. or Canada what state/territory?

Where are you from?

11 years ago
I remember another thread for this topic. Anyways, Me french but me live in Switzerland.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Iiindia. Zee land of zee elephants.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

I'm originally from Bakersfield, California.. most polluted city in the US for many years, woo hoo.  But now I'm living in Santa Barbara, CA, where I go to school and do all of my things. :0

Where are you from?

11 years ago

born in Tirane, Albania, 1 year later moved to greece for 2 years,  then moved to montreal, canada.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

I live in Spokane Washington once one of the most polluted places in Washington now on elf the cleanest.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Woah! Hugo we don't live that far apart! I live near Seattle

Where are you from?

11 years ago

America, lived in Alabama all my life but hopefully I can change that.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

I'm from Ohio. 

I wouldn't recommend it.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

http://api.ning.com/files/-G8tXti7T9PFQCbSS1Y2qHh8Cd6VrqPbAePnupWlU8-pn8j4jQetEYxAVW2zNCq660tqtJd57KYWmQ4YmX9fY-41d-p99uJ5/ohio.jpg

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Everybody in Ohio would agree with this.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

St. Louis, but I live in LA.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Iceland.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Gadsden Purchase, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky-Way Galaxy... 

Where are you from?

11 years ago

^ I see what you did there :D

Jumpy eh?

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Canadia, currently in BC, originally from ON

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Ontario? and BC not very good

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Yeah, ON = Ontario.

Why is BC not very good? Only real difference I have found is it seems really American.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Hurhurhur 'merry cans!

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Hobbiton, New Zealand. 

Well... technically, not exactly Hobbiton, but... eh, somewhere in Middle Earth. 

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Sorry typo meant to type what does that mean had a very large brain fart.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

I'm from the Philippines, where it's always hot during the summer, which is right now. How I wish I lived somewhere else...

Where are you from?

11 years ago

USA has wack-ass weather ATM.

Don't go there.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Just read this.. You'll understand.

Photobucket

Yep.. Story of my life, right there.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

I thought Mexico was weed capital...

Where are you from?

11 years ago

But it's legal in The Netherlands.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

I've visited Mexico there was a lot of weed and over priced stuff... 11 U.S. dollars for a plastic bucket, and 2 plastic shovels?!? And fart a lot flamingo's 

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Australia - where they drive on the 'wrong' side of the road.

G'day mite!

Where are you from?

11 years ago

I suspect you really like annoying people.... So we have a lot of different people on this site... Now what about accent's?

Mine sounds like a Northern Europe accent even though I've never been there.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

I have a southern drawl. I didn't really think it was that noticeable until I went to basic training and everybody was teasing me about my "hick accent". I like to think I sound like Scarlet O'Hara xD

Edit: Guess I should add the American part to that statement lol

Where are you from?

11 years ago

American accent (there is no such thing as a canadian accent), but not the southern drawl, just plain american accent. I can emulate several other accents fairly well though.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Down south we would call that a yankee accent :P

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Why yes, there is such a thing as a Canadian accent.  In fact, there is more than one.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

no, no there is not. There is literally no difference between a u.s accent and a canadian accent, unless you're talking about the southern drawl.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

In the same way there are dozens of accents in American, there are at least several in Canada which are different. Haha. You are assuming too much to say that a Canadian accent is the same as an American when there isn't just one American accent. Your statement is flawed from start to finish.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

You're wrong, as I've actually had several people point out that I have an American accent (despite being Canadian).

Where are you from?

11 years ago

I AM CANADIAN. I WIN.

I'm from canada, and i've been to the states, no difference in tone or inflection on how they talk or how I talk. I've also been to several different parts of canada, still no difference. At least, there shouldn't be a difference if you pronounce words correctly. (i read like, the first three lines of your link, and all it had to do with was incorrect pronunciation)

Where are you from?

11 years ago

How about the fact that most of our language(s) derives from Italian? So if we want to be insanely technical we all have different Italian accents. :)

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Killa is Canadian too. How does being a Canadian make you right?

Where are you from?

11 years ago

One might be more Canadian in some obscure way than the other. That's how! o.O

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Actually i'm not exactly sure killa was disagreeing with me. He basically said that people think that his "canadian" accent is the same as a normal american accent, which would actually mean that he was agreeing with me, as this would mean that there is no difference between the us and canadian accent seeing as there is no u.s and canadian accent, just the american accent. 

But the thing is, he replied to my post, which would mean that he was saying that I was wrong.

Hmmmmm.....

Where are you from?

11 years ago

You are wrong. Blatantly. The very point of an accent is usually incorrect pronunciation. Read the entire thing before you reply or you look ignorant. You cannot tell me that a Bostonian accent is the same as a Canadian accent or any other American accent.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

I can tell you this: I have actually been to the U.S quite a few times, and several palces in canada, and I have never once noticed a definite difference between the way I speak, the poeple from canada speak, and the people from U.S speak.

It is premature to say that i'm wrong, blatantly is it not?  You immediately assume that i'm wrong and yet what proof do you offer, a Wikipedia page-link? I have actually met people of both nationalities, and neither have had any particular or noticable accent, they both spoke more or less in the exact same way. (in any case believe what you want, until I actually hear a canadian with an accent, it won't change my mind, and no point arguing about it.)

Where are you from?

11 years ago

No, it is not premature.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

In fact the opposite is true, as he was assuming there's no such thing as an accent without first checking it out :P

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Haha dude, if I don't even have to leave my school to find that there are people who speak differently than the way I speak, then I can guarantee you that there are people who speak differently than you do :P. It's logically impossible to think otherwise when there are two people speaking in different accents. You can sound like one, or you can sound like the other, but if the two are speaking in completely differently accents then you can't sound like both.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

This.

And to reiterate.

"In the same way there are dozens of accents in American, there are at least several in Canada which are different. Haha. You are assuming too much to say that a Canadian accent is the same as an American when there isn't just one American accent. Your statement is flawed from start to finish."

Where are you from?

11 years ago

I didn't say that there wasn't anything such as an accent, I was saying that, as a whole, the canadian population does not have an accent that is discernible from the U.S accent.

Yes there are the stereotypes, but for the most parts those don't apply.

If you're willing to go deep into technicalities (as in the very very tiny differences in speaking which, pretty much every individual person has) then yes, there are HUNDREDS of accents , maybe even thousands, but i'm talking about the population as a whole. On a much wider scale, if there are any significant differences between the way the average canadian and the average U.S citizen talk. And there aren't.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

I'm sorry, but are you completely brain dead? There are about three different accents, I do mean accents, in Alabama alone. Canadians can not sound like all of them. You have missed EVERY SINGLE POINT made. seriously. I just don't know what's wrong with you. Maybe it is an auditory problem and you just can't hear the differences.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

No, I can hear the differences, but I am not talking about small differences.

My example would be this:

there is a field, it has a mix of  tall grass and wheat in it, but it is still a field no? ("canadian" accent(s))

There is another field, it has tall grass in it, but it is still a field no? ("U.S" accent(s))

in essence, they are basically the same thing, with slight differences.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

ok, not the best example ever, but you see where i'm going right?

Where are you from?

11 years ago

That is text, it does not have an accent. I am not talking about the word choice. I am... So ya, you missed the point again.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Yeah, word choice isn't the same as accent, accents have more to do with the actual sounds made.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Actually I missed that point that time! Mostly because the example sucked. Here's the thing, in you example all language would be a field and accents would be plants growing in it. But there are lots of different plants for the different American fields and the Canadian field can't be the same as all of them.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

I am not talking about word choice, I am talking about sounds made. For the most part, most U.S ers and candians speak with the same, well, sounds.

This is without considering all other ethnicities of course

Where are you from?

11 years ago

"I didn't say that there wasn't anything such as an accent,"

We never said you did, again, you missed the point. Bravo.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

I am disagreeing with you lol.

The fact that others identified my accent as American (even to the point where they actually thought I was American), shows that they noticed a difference between the "normal" Canadian accent they were used to hearing, and my own. If there was no difference, they never would have identified a difference.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

But did any of those people ever actually meet any canadians? It could very well be that they just assumed canadians had an accent.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

nm

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Dude, you completely missed the point. The people that were telling him that were Canadian.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

^

I mean, I even specified they were USED to hearing the Canadian accent, which means they obviously had heard it before.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Well then, i clearly missed that part. 

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Yes, yes you did. You missed it twice.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

I am not missing the point, I am simply disagreeing with the ones you are presenting, just as you seem to disagree with just about every one of my points.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

You haven't made a point yet. You have pretty much just been saying the same thing,

"I personally can't hear the difference/it isn't very big/ all American accents are basically the same as the only Canadian accent/ etc."

Where are you from?

11 years ago

What the hell are you talking abote?

Where are you from?

11 years ago

"Well then, i clearly missed that part. "

"I am not missing the point,"

Nice juxtaposition here.

Where are you from?

11 years ago

I'm from South Carolina, USA

Where are you from?

11 years ago

The Netherlands

Where are you from?

11 years ago

Imagine my accent as a Viking with a mix of Native American.