Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

hello and some basic questions

11 years ago

Hi.

I'm dark. some people may know  me from www.audiogames.net, but if not, hello to everyone.

i've been a fan of gamebooks for quite a while, and so was really pleased to be directed to this site, indeed I have  very much enjoyed the stories I've seen thus  far.

of course however, I have some questions. i do appologize if these are relatively simple answers, however  hopefully people will bare with me.

firstly, I'd obviously be really interested in writing my own story, however I  would like to have chance to play with the editer and perhaps create something as a tester so that I can get used to it's functions.  Sinse I'd eventually like to create something with stats and random dice rolls, I'm obviously going to have to learn a bit, however I'd rather not inflict my practice on everyone else.

In one of the articals however I noticed a mention that stories could only be deleted by  mods on the site, and that this was generally a bad thing to request done. Is this only true of published stories?

if I created a test story purely for the purpose of playing with the editer, could I delete it later since obviously I'd not be publishing it.

Secondly, are there any recommended articals on how to use the editer, or a specific manual? I've seen articals  mentioning scripting, variables etc but I'm not sure what order to read these in to get the basics before I start moving on to more advanced matters, is there a more complete guide anywhere?

Any advice  on either point would be much  appreciated.

11 years ago

Welcome! 

Regarding your first question, yes you can delete your games. Any unpublished game may be deleted, and if you published something you want to delete, you could unpublish it and then delete it.

11 years ago

Hi, I am Dark too.

11 years ago

ah, thanks for letting me know, it's a relief I'll have time to play with  editer without inflicting whatever I test with it on everyone else.

@dark, hello to you too. The reason I sepcifically describe myself as "dark" rather than "darkempathy" is that on various other places around the interweb, I use the monica of just plane "dark" and it's possible that some people here may have come across me elsewhere.

Still, I know there is a lot of dark around, maybe we are living in dark times?

I could embark on lots of bad jokes about dark lands, dark ages, and maybe piling everyone called dark together to make a dark tower but I think I'll spare everybody that.

Just to be serious for a second, if anyone has any suggestions which of the various help articals I should begin with on the editer that would be good to know, sinse unfortunately as they're not ordered it's sometimes a little difficult to know which one gives a more basic outline of say how to create character stats and increase or decrease them without going into more complex scripting business.

11 years ago

Ha! You have a sense of humor! I like you already!

11 years ago

Was that sarcasm?  I just got this nagging feeling in the back of my head...

11 years ago

^this

Also hello and welcome to CYS.

11 years ago

Welcome to the site  =)

11 years ago

Welcome to the site darkempathy!