Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

Halloween Writing Jam voting

3 years ago
Commended by TharaApples on 1/7/2023 3:15:55 PM
There was a very successful turn out with fifteen entries. We got storygames from MHD, Bill, Ninja, and new coder on the block AnthonyScoffler. (Who will be assisting Killa with testing site updates going forward btw, sort of belated announcement on that.) There was a big response from CoG as well and a lot of good games in the mix. Links to the games here: https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/halloween-jam-public-voting/88913

And vote here!

(Yes it's straw poll and anonymous, try not to abuse that. You're not picking one winner anyway, just any five games you like the most.)

3 years ago
Commended by mizal on 11/14/2020 5:32:02 PM
I am too much of a boomer And I didn't know how to put the link without the rt. THANKS, MIZ... AND EVERYONE TIME TO PLAY AND VOTE

3 years ago
Fixed up the OP a little. There really are some fun games here even outside the CYS ones so I recommend everyone maintain their Halloween spirit a few more days and try them.

I'd like to list and link the individual games in here, but I'm on mobile until I can get a new laptop, and since I managed to screw up even the voting link the first time around, not gonna attempt it. Besides that, it's not my contest and the purpose of letting other people host things is that they do all the work. In the meantime they are easily findable in the provided CoG thread in a nice collapsible list.

3 years ago
Btw, I recommend reading the CoG thread, it's gotten pretty entertaining.

I've only seen the highlights so far, but there are people who think having a just for fun vote for a contest they didn't even enter is MEEN and anxiety inducing. I can't imagine what the actual election is doing to them....

I don't mean this to make fun of them of course. I would never do such a thing in an official news and updates thread. I just find it a fascinating culture to observe!

3 years ago

Oh my, that thread! I'm not sure which is worse, the whining about polls being too public and anxiety inducing since it makes it a "contest," or the passive-aggressive jabs about Mara not being "experienced" enough to run things on her own.

3 years ago
Hmm, it seems the voting portion of this is attracting very little interest.

If any of you have time to use the Discord, I'm pretty sure you also have time to look through some stories and figure out which you like best. Anything else is unpatriotic, and the fact you're being asked to endure the hardship of following a link that leads directly to the list is no excuse.

3 years ago

I've read a few so far, but not enough to vote yet. Thank you for the link.

3 years ago
Yep anyone in the discord sure is going to be sorry if they don't vote, or even at the very least rate the CYS entries here on the site.

Deadline is the 14th.

3 years ago
The funny thing is that even though this is clearly posted in a front page news thread, and they're being warned, in public, a full week in advance, they will still act like they have some right to be surprised when Justice happens.

3 years ago
If you haven't read these, then you're terrible and it's too damn late. But if you have and haven't voted yet, voting ends in two hours.

It'd be cool if any of you could give a little feedback on the games from the CoGites too. You can just put it right here in the thread and I'm sure Mara will pass it along.

3 years ago
Yes, I will.

3 years ago

So this is done? Thanks to Mara for putting this together!

But don't be surprised if my story comes down for a short period of time. There was supposed to be a second branch that I just didn't have time to complete by the deadline, and so I put a "quick death" ending in its place.

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago
Mara made a thing:

The winner was The Keeper of Midnight.

Most of you opted not to have any say in this at all, but Basement Rats by @MadHattersDaughter came in fifth. The rest of you didn't place, even though I personally think Bill's story should have.

Most of the 69 voters were CoGites and frankly I'm disgusted with the lot of you for letting things come to this. Although that's hardly a new or unique feeling, to be fair.

Anyway, many thanks to Mara for hosting the jam, I know it was three months of a lot of work and dedication for you fielding questions and encouraging people, and anyone keeping up with the CoG thread would have noticed you were dealing with one of the whiniest and most annoying people ever to draw breath the entire run of this thing.

Congrats to all entrants from both sites to, and the pathetic, insultingly small handful of folks from here who actually voted are appreciated too.

Now if you'll excuse me I have a lot of names to click in the Discord...

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago

69 voters

Nice

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago
Thanks for your help, Miz and also to the Cys authors. It has been great or everyone to observe the different types of Interactive fiction. And also, Thanks to anyone that voted. I will give more details about any new Jam soon.

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago
What are your pronouns?

He/Him.
She/Her.
They/Them.
Ze/Zir.
Ey/Em.
Ve/Ver.
Tey/Ter.
Ze/Hir.
Xe/Xem.

Holy shit, you're right, that is a fucking scary story!

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago
We've talked to the author in the jam server, he's a really sweet guy. I guess he just knows his audience, and hey it got him the win.

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago
Sarcasm aside, I thought the story was pretty decent. I can respect the polish of a good author/creator.

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago
Commended by mizal on 11/14/2020 5:31:52 PM

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago
Can I share them in Cog? You have a lot of talent!

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago

Haha, sure!

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago
Lol, is that an oversized pizza slice mixed with the papers?

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago

I'm a multitasker! :~P

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago

I did my part.

Good job to MHD for placing.

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago
Impressively, nine of the condemned managed to do their community service and receive a pardon better the deadline given.

But when time was up, there were still over a dozen left, and it was @Killa_Robot chosen by Larimar for tonight's execution.

Although it made me sad to do a fellow admin like that, I think ultimately it was good to make an example of him to show the others I'm not playing favorites and I'm not messing around.

(But okay fine, I'll do a *little* favoritism since he's working on the categories update. He can do just one review to get back in instead of the two I'm going to demand from the next person.)

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago
"Fellow Admin"

*Flashback to not having Admin role in the server*

Sure, sure.

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago
If you do two reviews you can hold the role a little while.

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago
The only person who can bribe me into doing things is MHD with the promise of thicc elves.

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago
Commended by BerkaZerka on 11/15/2020 8:33:18 PM

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago
I love this.

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago

Lol

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago
Your art is so great.

Halloween Jam Results

3 years ago
So ultimately, other than Killa and Darkspawn, the entire server did their mandatory annual review and there was no harm done to anyone except for a handful of lurkers who were never going to survive this anyhow. Except for Darkspawn, who unlike Killa, made the mistake of being criminally lazy without admin access to the code to use as leverage.

3 years ago
Congrats to all finishers!

3 years ago

Shelter for the Night is back. Thanks to everyone who's read the story and left comments! But I couldn't in good conscience leave it the way it was; the original version suffered from deadline limitations in which I had to sacrifice an entire branch. This updated version is about 8000 words longer and adds 4 more endings. The "douchebag" branch is still the same, but now if you grab the rake to use as a weapon… things might happen, as I had originally planned.

Fair warning: there are internal inconsistencies everywhere. Incidents occurring in one branch have little or no bearing on the other. This is intentional, for the sake of variety.