Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Favourite quotes or scenes from books?

7 years ago

Mine is the ending of the Kite Runner. *cries* 

7 years ago

" 'If you can't beat me twice you can't beat me at all.' " Quote from Ender in "Ender's Game." I like it because it is basically saying that anyone can get lucky once. So do it twice to prove you can.

7 years ago

"Your mother's a pincone." - The Eyes of Kid Midas

7 years ago

Scene: Off the top of my head, probably the death by crown in Song of Ice and Fire. Partly because i found it so satisfying that that character was gone, partly because i loved the way the author made them die.

Quote:

“If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards!” From The Colour of Magic. I dont know why that sentence made me laugh as much as it did, but it did.

7 years ago

The opening disclaimer of 'The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn':

“Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.”

7 years ago

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."

-Albus Dumbledore :'(

7 years ago

Flan. The whole thing, really. You could pick any lime out of that book and slap it on a motivational poster.

7 years ago

Ray Bradbury always had some very quotable stuff. By today's standards I guess he'd be too flowery or whatever, and he goes off on tangents, but I've just always had this thing for prose that reads like poetry. A unique turn of phrase or spectacular imagery always sticks in my mind long after I finish a book and sometimes when I come across a line like that I'll just sit there and reread it a few times. 

There was a smell of Time in the air tonight. He smiled and turned the fancy in his mind. There was a thought. What did time smell like? Like dust and clocks and people. And if you wondered what Time sounded like it sounded like water running in a dark cave and voices crying and dirt dropping down upon hollow box lids, and rain. And, going further, what did Time look like? Time look like snow dropping silently into a black room or it looked like a silent film in an ancient theater, 100 billion faces falling like those New Year balloons, down and down into nothing. That was how Time smelled and looked and sounded. And tonight-Tomas shoved a hand into the wind outside the truck-tonight you could almost taste time.

The rockets set the bony meadows afire, turned rock to lava, turned wood to charcoal, transmuted water to steam, made sand and silica into green glass which lay like shattered mirrors reflecting the invasion, all about. The rockets came like drums, beating in the night. The rockets came like locusts, swarming and settling in blooms of rosy smoke.

And from the rockets ran men with hammers in their hands to beat the strange world into a shape that was familiar to the eye, to bludgeon away all the strangeness, their mouths fringed with nails so they resembled steel-toothed carnivores, spitting them into their swift hands as they hammered up frame cottages and scuttled over roofs with shingles to blot out the eerie stars, and fit green shades to pull against the night.

Both from The Martian Chronicles.

I'm also a big fan of the opening lines of The Last Unicorn, though I have been mocked for this. Watership Down has some great passages too that really bring the setting to life.

Prose that you 'notice', even in an appreciative way, is considered something to avoid in modern writing, and that's kind of a shame. I feel like writing that sort of thing is becoming a lost art.  

7 years ago

I like this Goosebumps quote, "Reader beware, your in for a scare"

7 years ago

Ah, the years of undelivered promises...

7 years ago

Oh yeah, I remember that...

7 years ago

Never scared me xD

7 years ago

The Goosebumps books were hilariously bad.  In junior high I remember picking up on how formulaic they were and moving to Christopher Pike to be cool and edgy. (In hindsight, those were even more awful lol)

Goosebumps books were at least fun, and considered basically a form of currency at my school. R.L. Stein was astoundingly prolific, too, even today I'm honestly impressed.

7 years ago

R.L Stein is like Uwe Bol. Except he writes books, and has original ideas, and knows how to be entertaining, and isn't an asshole, and he actually puts effort into making so many things, and speaks fluent English, and isn't a boxer, and...

Well, R.L. Stein is like Sam Raimi, if Sam Raimi only ever directed Halloween specials for The Teletubbies and had no idea how to make Evil Dead work as well as it did. Or...

R.L. Stein is the epitome of Narm Charm.

7 years ago

7 years ago

“People disappeared, reappeared, made plans to go somewhere, and then lost each other, searched for each other, found each other a few feet away.”
? F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby