Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Question? Recommendations?

4 months ago
Hi! So, I'm fairly new on this site and have already ran into some problems... I need recommendations (any genre) for story-games! I do have an irk though. I would prefer the protagonist to be a woman...every single story I come across it's a man. Usually, I can pull through with that...but for some reason the protagonist, always has some sort of fetish towards woman, or is just blatantly misogynistic. I LOVE long stories and can do any thing from family friendly to 18+.

4 months ago
Try searching by the female protagonist tag.

4 months ago
Misogynistic stories are actually designed with female readers in mind. The misogyny is only there to provide the most realistic female experience possible, I assure you.

4 months ago
The sad truth is that the men writing about men have just been more productive.

We used to get people looking for more LGBT stories too, but somebody has to want to write them and then be able to sit down and follow through.

4 months ago

Perhaps Aphrodite's Orphan? I didn't remember it having squicky moments.

The stories from Mystic Warrior almost never feature the male gaze or misogynistic elements or plot points. (Her first works do have it a little, but not anything too bothersome. There's a very typical guy wants to save wife story in Fall to Hopelessness and Dreamtruder also have bits and pieces of it.)  Lately she has written a lot of stories with a female protagonist. 

The interesting thing is, is that most of her male protagonists don't have much of a personality and are usually blank slates while lots of her female protagonist often are well defined with great character arcs and development.

Lemme pull them out for ya.

Spell of slumber

In moonlit waters

Breaker

4 months ago

My story’s main character has no kind of fetish towards women and is, I believe, the perfect solution for you.

Well, I mean, he ain't a chic... but close enough.

4 months ago

The female protagonist tag is a good place to look. There are also a lot of games written with a "blank" protagonist whose gender is never specified, or with a gender choice at the beginning that never impacts the plot.

Looking for games to recommend to you has really impressed on me how few non-male games there are on this site. Jeez.

Detective 1: Blacksea island- This game has a female protagonist. It's a mystery game where you wander around finding clues and eventually solve a murder. This is more game than story, so I'm not sure it's what you're looking for.

Price of Freedom- Select your gender at the start of the game. Survive as an adolescent gladiator in ancient rome. I don't recall any sexism, and there are several strong and well-developed female characters. That said... it's ancient rome, so there may well be some I'm forgetting.

Diplomat- This one is by me, and features a gender-neutral protagonist. You're a diplomat deciding how to handle communication with alien races, both in first-contact situations and ongoing relations. Long-ish, with several different storylines.

Secrets of the Crag- Also by me, with a gender neutral protagonist. You explore a cave system full of treasure and monsters. Long-ish, but not narrative-based, so I'm not sure it's what you're looking for.

I also strongly recommend Mystic's games, linked above. They probably fit your length criteria best, and are very well written.

4 months ago
Some of them aren't even tagged, I had to manually add that one to most of MHD's games the other day. And I don't think Sabley's games are marked.

My female protagonists are a unicorn and an android, not sure if those count, but I also would find it weird if anything I wrote was read or not read based on gender anyway.

4 months ago

Yeah I imagine a lot of the older stories with female protagonists aren't tagged since there wasn't a specific one for "Female Protagonist" until I created it much later due to seeing some folks specifically asking for one.

4 months ago

For engaging story-games with female protagonists and a variety of genres, try "Psy High," "Choice of the Cat," or "The Hero Project: Redemption Season." These options provide diverse narratives without the mentioned issues.

4 months ago
I'd eat your flesh if you weren't all circuit boards and plastic.

4 months ago

These are all Cogite faggotry. Especially the hero one which even other Cogites consider to be MEGA faggotry.

4 months ago

What's a "diverse" narrative? Like from people who moved between social classes or learned to tap dance with a frog on their head?

4 months ago

Since this one got defibrillated by a bot, might as well bring something up that I mentioned in the Discord.

“the protagonist, always has some sort of fetish towards woman”

Isn’t a “fetish” for women just being a normal straight guy?

4 months ago

Yeah, we cishets get a bad rap.

4 months ago
I recommend Suzy's Strange Saga

4 months ago

I hate mondays