A Day in Hell

Player Rating5.25/8

"#147 overall, #7 for 2001"
based on 751 ratings since 09/10/2009
played 9,154 times (finished 700)

"trek through the forest"

"A nice jog down the driveway"

"anything goes"
Some material may be inappropriate for persons under age 18. If this were a movie, it would probably be R.

This story revolves around Matt, a man living under the yoke of his female roommate.

[EDIT: 2014: I wrote this story to test the functionality of the basic editor, way back when I first joined in 2003. So take it for what it is. My humor runs toward the dark and the black, so you may not find it as amusing as I. At the time, I had been in my late 20's, living with the most irritating person in the entire world. So, so, so irritating. This story was a way for me to sublimate my understandable urges to kill her into a socially acceptable outlet. The parts of the story which are true include her complaining that the smell of bacon and the sight of grease was the same as "boiling animal fat and toxic fumes," all the while attempting to make subtle advances and holding the fact that she was my landlord over my head. The situation ended badly, but not as badly as in the story.

Enjoy.]

I'd suggest killing anyone that annoys you, but do what you have to. You will only be able to leave comments if you reach one of the endings. I had to do this, as many people with IQs less than 90 were giving this story 1's. Thanks!

v 1.0 Published story, 2003.

v 2.0 Updated some things, fixed a broken link, added a bit of content, probably created discrepancies.

I game with multiple endings and consequential choices! It's such a relief to run across one in my tour of CYS that was. I liked the humor and the writer's voice.

Some of the very best characterization you'll find in any of its contemporaries. This story was still featured when I logged on for the first time back in 2011.

Funny enough, I would have liked it better if we'd had more time for her to piss us off. Her obnoxious behavior was not nearly oppressive enough for long enough. We needed more! I wanted to want to kill her before I went and did it. Is that too much to ask for?

Frying pans aren't really my thing either. Why couldn't I punch her in her ex-Mormon throat or strangle the life out of her? Those are the kinds of choices that matter.
-- ugilick on 5/20/2018 11:17:28 PM with a score of 0
I love this game. It has a wonderful amount of crazy ideas, and it shows that our dreams of killing those that piss us off never ends well. 8/8, I was enjoying every moment of the game.
-- Aman on 12/16/2012 5:34:51 PM with a score of 0
You're the best writer of these choose-your-own stories I've read, so far; I thought "mommy..." was better than this one, rather grittier, though I haven't explored this one much so far. Feel almost inspired to try one of my own.
-- Russell on 9/10/2011 6:34:49 AM with a score of 0
A Day in Hell is an artifact from a different season of CYS. While it is a good story, it is not hard to see why it is no longer featured.
First off, the little looping trick where the reader is kept from End Game links certainly adds to the hellish atmosphere more than anything else. Forget the roommate; despite my intention to read through every choice anyway, I wanted to bludgeon Madglee with a pan for doing that at times. I know why he did it, but it pisses me off regardless.

The writing itself was decent, and there were not any grammar errors that I found really noticeable.
While the story had a lot of endings, which is nice, many of the choices had no impact on the story, and there was a lot of re-branching. Additionally, all that copy-pasting became glaringly noticeable when in one path Stan’s body is said to be in the dumpster when the player never even meets him in that path.
If you are going to force readers into replaying your story if they want to finish it, the least you could do is not be so lazy and at least make sure everything always makes sense.

I would have liked to see the terrible roommate do a bit more other than play music I don’t like and complain about the smells of bacon grease and cigarette smoke. As it was, the only real motivation for me to smash her head in with the frying pan was because smashing heads in with frying pans just sounds like so much fun.

I did enjoy the transition from going about your day as normal to killing everyone you see. That was amusing and enjoyable. The ending with the nice wine was also quite funny.

I did enjoy my day in Hell, and this was not a bad story, but I think don’t think I’ll be coming again.

-- Cricket on 6/6/2019 5:03:31 PM with a score of 0
Kill dem all
-- C6H8O6 on 4/23/2019 5:20:50 PM with a score of 0
good.
-- Eric Zavala on 9/4/2018 2:48:07 PM with a score of 0
This was good. I managed not to bring the pan down onto my roommate's head lol.
-- Brack on 7/9/2018 3:56:22 PM with a score of 0
It's ok... 6/8
-- person #389i24914389 on 3/14/2018 1:39:19 PM with a score of 0
I did this just for fun. Sorry, but in reality it was really fun!
-- Stranger Danger on 2/7/2018 7:26:34 PM with a score of 0