A Stroll in the Forest

Player Rating3.23/8

"#727 overall, #86 for 2013"
based on 175 ratings since 07/31/2013
played 2,311 times (finished 203)

"trek through the forest"

"So short yo' momma thought it was a recipe"

"appropriate for all ages"
Stories with this maturity level will not, by design, have any potentially objectionable content. An example of a type story with this rating would be a quiz on mathematics.

Tags

Humor

One fine day you decide to take a walk in the forest. Then suddenly a wild fork in the road appears. Which way will you go?

I do like how this story starts out. The initial descriptions of the path through the forest is nice. I like that there are sounds, visuals and (almost) smells to detail what’s going on. I also like that there are really some options and choices that affect the story. However, how they affect the story is, as another commenter pointed out, quite random.

Now sometimes the lolrandom can work well with a story. In some places here, that factor is good and works well, even though the story is actually apparently quite random. Add to that the idea that this story is quite short, and there’s really just not a lot going on here. It seems like most of the options are actually related to that one drug-induced one and I’m wondering if the whole story is really about someone’s bad (or good) trip.

Either way, this was a nice attempt at a story. The options were good and the writing was good. Due to the number of options, nearly every direction was actually very short. Even with the lolrandom effect, I think this could be improved with some more description (like that on the first page) and longer paths to more of a story.
-- Ogre11 on 7/9/2018 12:30:59 PM with a score of 0
This is yet another game that fits into the lolrandom category. It's incredible how a story can shift plots that sloppily.

What I thought would be a decent story about a walk in the woods based on the ratings ended up being an incredibly short story with an almost nonexistant plot.

In my playthrough, I somehow turned into a fucking pokemon trainer so I could fight a bear. The plot changed so suddenly, and I was honestly pretty confused.

Character development was nonexistant. I have no emotion toward any of these characters, because I don't have a reason to have any emotion toward any of the characters. I can't relate to them in any way. Not that there were many characters to begin with.

Detail was at a minimum, which made for a short number of words, and a short story. On top of this, the choices hardly branch out. I chose about one or two links in each playthrough, and it ended.

Take more time to write your stories. Make something you can be proud of, and not a few lolrandom pages.
-- MinnieKing on 5/10/2017 8:34:52 PM with a score of 0
There is no real plot, it doesn't make any sense, and the choices lead to totally random outcomes. So for that, I guess it's written better than some of the other bad stories I've read.
-- WizzyCat on 1/19/2021 11:08:39 AM with a score of 0
Typical lolrandom game. No consistency or ability to predict the results of actions, so the rating just becomes how entertaining the game is. It's not that amusing either, but the spelling and grammar is better than the genre's status quo, at least.
-- Nightwatch on 1/18/2021 2:33:08 AM with a score of 0
Found this with the random storygame button, and really it should just be taken down. It's frickin random all right and completely incoherent.

I mean I wasn't expecting great things about a 1200 word story about strolling through the woods, but I'm positive anyone currently on the site could do better given the same limitations.

2013 was a dark time indeed.
-- mizal on 1/17/2021 3:37:24 PM with a score of 0
This game was fun to play, but you could make the story a bit longer.
-- Portal on 12/30/2020 11:44:35 AM with a score of 0
The story... was without context and sorta random.
The word I can come up is: bland.
The character is without emotion and monotone. I do enjoy the effort you committed to great grammar and word choice, but they didn't work in favor of you.
-- PerforatedPenguin on 11/16/2020 5:33:50 PM with a score of 0
It's very short and random story. There's no real plot line going for it, and it's just a guy that goes into the woods and becomes a high Pokemon trainer in one of the endings.

The writing is nice, spelling and grammar-wise. There's no characterization, probably because there's 3? characters. Two of the aren't even human. There's no story to rate. It's all very random.

I think you could've done something with this? Maybe make it a magical forest, so at the very least there's some explanation to it. Or hell, go for the protagonist being high the entire time like you did in that one ending. That's also a lot more interesting.

I do look forward to reading any stories you make that have an actual plot, seeing as you did pretty well on this one writing-wise.
-- snailsforsale on 2/3/2020 1:12:24 PM with a score of 0
Very short, but well written. The only thing that confuses me is at one of the zombie endings it says, “oh, shoot, dog.” Dog? I’m not a dog...
-- StupidManatee on 8/7/2019 9:42:21 PM with a score of 0