A Treatise on Heartly Manners

a Love & Dating by enterpride

Commended by mizal on 1/5/2020 2:50:27 PM

Player Rating6.09/8

"Too few ratings to be ranked"
based on 48 ratings since 01/03/2020
played 1,397 times (finished 60)

"trek through the forest"

"It'll be a while, better grab a Snickers®"

"I'll need to see some identification"
Some material may be inappropriate for persons under age 16. If this were a movie, it would probably between PG-13 and R.

A contest entry for Bucky's year's end contest: choose your own prompt II.
Play as Lord Robert, the baron of Rivellon, at the lowest point of his life. He's cheated on by his wife, betrayed by his liege and filled to the brim with a turmoil of conflicting emotions.
How does his life end?

I loved the plotline, and the enjoyment of not knowing what's next.
-- BigTimeRush on 2/24/2020 8:09:41 AM with a score of 0
This was short but touching. We’re alive and together. Yay
-- Hi on 2/17/2020 11:56:23 AM with a score of 0
I HATE THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT IS RUBBISH!!!!
-- Mya Diamond on 2/17/2020 6:40:00 AM with a score of 0
While the story was well-written and interesting, it was relatively predictable and I didn't feel as if there were enough choices. Most of the time it felt like you were just turning the page, if that makes sense? It was a brilliant story, but if you're looking for a game, I'd go elsewhere.
-- MagykalWagykal on 2/4/2020 6:06:26 PM with a score of 0
A Treatise on Heartly Manners is a very well-written story with an almost poetic prose. As I mentioned when I was helping to beta test this story, I absolutely loved the titles in this one. Your descriptions of the surrounding world, political relations, etc. all helped to establish a realistic setting for your tale.

I liked the protagonist in this story. He was very introspective, as well as very emotional. I like how this story offered the reader so many choices to make -- many of which were of moral consequence. How you choose to react to your wife's betrayal in this story is entirely up to you. I played through at least ten endings, and it seems that there were many more to explore. Some of these endings also featured an interesting epilogue. While I feel like the story offered an excellent degree of interactivity, I would've perhaps liked to see the first choice of the story lead to a different path, rather than one that loops back with the first.

The central conflict in this story is the problematic relationship between Isa and the protagonist, with the secondary conflict being the one between the protagonist and the Duke. While it was interesting to explore the story from the main character's perspective, I feel like I would've liked to see things from Isa's shoes more. I'm not suggesting a point of view switch, but rather perhaps more dialogue or backstory that further develops her as a character.

In alternate scenes throughout the story, Isa is either portrayed as lonely and regretful, or cold and uncaring. Her feelings for the protagonist do not remain consistent. I understand that was partially the point -- that both main characters were wrestling with their emotions -- but I still felt like more could have been done here. Also, (SPOILERS): there are some scenes in which the protagonist is rewarded for reconciling with Isa, and others in which he is punished for doing so. The fact that Isa betrays the protagonist in some of the endings also lessens the impact of those in which the two characters get back together.

I loved the twist that you included in the epilogues of some of the endings. It was very creative, and an offered an interesting meta-narrative. I did wish that an epilogue had been included for a few more of the 'good' endings. My favourite ending (SPOILERS: the one in which the protagonist forgets about Isa, and embraces his friendship with Garreth) did not have an epilogue, even though I think this was perhaps one of the happiest ones. By contrast, many unhappy endings (like the one in which you reject Garreth's offer for friendship) have epilogues.

Overall, A Treatise on Heartly Manners is a poetic, well-written piece set in a medieval land. It is a good story to read if you want a tale revolving around the themes of love, betrayal, forgiveness, and regret. I give this a 6/8. Good work!
-- Reader82 on 1/25/2020 11:06:21 PM with a score of 0
i loved the story
-- Brady on 1/24/2020 11:57:12 AM with a score of 0
The story felt contained, despite the amount of words added here. It could have used another minor branch or two to remedy this problem, but I understand that the author might not of had time to do that.

On top of that, the characters seemed sort of bland outside of Garreth. I had no attachment to anyone besides the MC, him, and Isa. The Isa attachment was artificial and forced anyway. Despite this, I preceded the intense love path.

The good thing about this game is the writing quality itself. It was easy to follow and I didn't stumble upon shotty syntax or anything. 5/8
-- 3iguy on 1/8/2020 10:12:35 AM with a score of 0
While I enjoyed this and it's well written, it feels like the main issue (your wife) is resolved too early, and the varying paths afterward are more extended epilogues than a continuation of the story.
-- Killa_Robot on 1/6/2020 9:02:08 PM with a score of 0
spoilers
I almost missed the route with the party-planning!

This game was fantastic. The variety contained within it, the amount of endings, the sides you take, and the depth of the character were all well put together.
There was non of the forced nature that a lot of the the stories written for contest usually have. It felt fluid and organized.
The epilogues felt a little out of place.
The parts of it about the romance contained all the emotion of romantic tension. The parts with political intrigue felt like there were stakes.
Also, I have a weakness for stories where if you play it one way a person is an ally, if you play another they're an enemy do Elaria was a wonderful character to me.
-- bilbo on 1/5/2020 10:20:43 PM with a score of 0
You set a fantastic tone with the story, and I think that really helped the story shine. This story has a very different feel to it than most of the stories on the site. I think it really stands out in the Romance category.

The player protagonist was an excellent character, and you did a great job drawing on his inner torment.

Unlike some of the others, I actually did not find this story to be too linear. Though, I can understand the gripes since we had to click through a couple pages before being given a choice. Anyway, I thought there were a suitable number of choices and plenty of varied and interesting endings.

Moreover, this story was an impressive feat for a contest that last approximately six weeks. I think the formula for success that is easiest to pull off involves a bottleneck type approach to the story. With a bottleneck, you have one clear set goalpost to frame the rest of the story.

But you focused on a branching tree, which requires at least two primary pathways that lead to different places. And I think that requires a lot more time in the planning process.

The one true weak point, in my opinion, was Isa. She could have used a little more dimension to her. I gave this a 7/8, but if she had a little more flesh to her, this could have received a rare 8/8 from me.
-- Bucky on 1/5/2020 3:43:40 PM with a score of 0