Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Did I miss an article somewhere?

3 years ago

I may have just missed it, but...

I'm looking for instructions on how to move from one page to another without using the canned link mechanisms. I figured it would be a hyperlink, but I can't figure out the URL to a specific page in my story. Does anyone know an article on this or have some advice?

Also, is there any info on how to change your inventory to be called anything else but 'inventory'? That term seems limited to a certain type of story.

Thanks.

3 years ago

3 years ago

Hi Ford, thanks for the reply.

So Aspie refers to the use of postback ID's. Not completely sure what postback ID's are, but I found this article about scripting: https://chooseyourstory.com/help/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=42 - didn't see a 'navigational' example.

I'm sure I could figure it out if I had an example. - maybe.

To answer RCR's question as to why I think I need this: I don't 'need' it. - I've seen it on other stories and figured it was easy enough, but once I tried it, it didn't turn out that way. 

I'm thinking it could bring the choices directly into the story instead of having to select them at the bottom of the page. For example:

The conference isn't going as planned. You asked what you thought was a simple question, now you're not so sure.

Agent C tells Agent F, "He needs to change the postback ID, that'll do it."

Agent R. says, "Ask him why he needs this" and adds in a whisper, "I don't like that guy, he gives me Kiel vibes".

3 years ago
Sounds like you want Twine. I'm sure it's doable here with some complicates coding magic, but at the end of the day you're just inviting people to randomly click things before reading the text. Twine loves that though and most games consist of just clicking every key word. Just make sure the protagonist is gay and depressed.

Anyway, good luck, but man, this Aspie Cancer guy seems a little sketch.

3 years ago
hawt

3 years ago
So basically you want to make it like twine?

There isn't an article because being able to do this is more using the system creativity than actually using it as intended. You're still using the link system, you're just referencing them a different way. Specifically, the postback id used for that link, to execute it.

So to make one of these links:
- Create a link to the page you want it to go to
- Hover over the "Destination" and it will tell you the "LINK ID#"
Put the following code on your page where you want the link to be
<a onclick="PostBack('FollowLink','LINKID');return false;" href="#">Link</a>
- Replace LINKID with the number.

3 years ago

Thanks, Killa

I don't think I want to make it like twine. Maybe like Twain?

I still want to use the traditional links at the bottom of the page. But I also want to add another element like 'internal dialog' and I think I can do this with postback ID thingy.

What if the protagonist had special insight being from the future, having a Google chip installed in their brain. Or special mutant powers that allowed them to know more about a situation, read thoughts or anticipate another's move.

I realize this sort of thing could be written into the prose, true. There are other mechanics like variables and items that could be written 'into' a story but many here use these mechanisms 'off prose' to tell a more interactive story.

Thanks again.

btw, does anyone know how I can change 'My Inventory' to read something else like 'My Powers' or 'My Memories'. Is this even possible or would it involve creating an entirely new 'inventory/item' system?

3 years ago
Nope, not possible.

3 years ago
Possible. Difficult. Ask BD.

3 years ago

Try this. I had to cut out some content and I'm doing this on mobile, so I may have broken this. Plug it in to your global page script. 

$PAGETEXT := "<style>

tr:nth-child(1) td:nth-child(4) h2 { visibility: hidden; }
tr:nth-child(1) td:nth-child(4) h2:after {
  margin-top: -36px;
  content:'My Memories';
  visibility: visible;
  text-align: center;
  display: block;
}

</style>" + $PAGETEXT

3 years ago

@OC

you are the bomb! - worked like a charm!

I can't think of any more pointless idioms so let me just say, thanks.

-magcos

3 years ago
Interestingly this works until you actually click on an item to use it, then the content text appears twice and looks really weird.

3 years ago

Here is how I would do this:

Basic Idea

Every link has a unique number and once this number has been assigned it is easy to follow the link programatically. So we need to link the page you want to go to from somewhere. Figure out the number of the link. Disable the link so it is not visible and place the hyperlink that you want in your story.

Detailed instructions

1. Open the editor and go to the page on which you want your hyperlink.
  2. Add a link to the target page using the 'Add Link' button. Give it a recognizable link text, say 'ABCDEFG'
  3. Now play your game until you get to the page which has the link.
  4. Now inspect the page (Right-click, Inspect)
  5. You should now be seeing the source code. Search for the line in which your page title appears. It should read

<a onclick="PostBack('FollowLink','3');return false;" href="#">ABCDEFG</a>

Instead of the 3 you will see the actual link number.

6. Copy the whole line from the source.
  7. Back to the editor and the page where you want the link.
  8. You can now hide the added link using the link restrictions.
  9. Paste the the line you have copied into your page source and change the ABCDEFG for the link title that you want.
  10. In principle you are done now. If you want to use the link in a script some workaround for the double quotes in the copied line is needed. A quick hack is to just delete the quotation marks, i.e.

<a onclick=PostBack('FollowLink','3');return false; href=#&ht;ABCDEFG</a>

• Hope that helps.

3 years ago

@ Northwind

This helps immensely! - thanks

btw: I'm into your Covid Assignment storygame. I noticed on the 'Sargent Miller' page you used some sort of variable script to show Miller's dialogue as it pertained to a reader's previous choices.- Would you mind sharing an example of this code. Or if you've read an article that references this sort of thing.

@ Everyone

I'm creating a FanFic storygame for my kids and even though the storyline is simple the mechanisms I've chosen to tell it are complex. They love the National Treasure movies, so my storygame has items act as clues, and variables control their navigation.

As you know in any storygame, the links at the bottom of a page can show or hide according to variable conditions or items in inventory or not. - I'm writing the conclusion to my storygame and want the story's text to display similar to how these links work. - Certain text will display only when the reader has an item or has met a variable's condition

Does anyone know an article or have advice to share?

3 years ago
https://chooseyourstory.com/help/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=3850

That article is about manipulating whats on the page based on variables.

3 years ago

Thanks Killa,

This will help with the variables.

Anyone have info on text displayed according to items in inventory?

3 years ago
You can create variables to represent if the item is held or not and run the check in the global page script. Each time a player enters a page the global page script is run.

IF $ITEMSTATE01 = 1 THEN %HASITEM1 := 1
ELSE %HASITEM1 := 0

Or if you want to ignore the else statements.

%HASITEM1 := 0

IF $ITEMSTATE01 = 1 THEN %HASITEM1 := 1

3 years ago

Thanks, Killa

3 years ago

Hi Killa,

About $ITEMSTATE script:

What is the link script for an Item to be added to 'my inventory' without the player picking it up?

For example, in the story you drop Michigan J Frog but on the next page he's back in your inventory. You didn't pick him up he just annoyingly appears there.

I've tried different variations of $ITEMSTATE01 := 1 but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

3 years ago
You cant use itemstates in a link script. You have to set them in a pagescript.

3 years ago

perfect, thanks

3 years ago
Thanks, I would like to share the script, but sadly I can't even edit the page now without unpublishing first. But I think Killa has answered your question.