Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Jeezusfuckin'christ. Why is life so difficult? XD

1) Orange (automatic winner for completion xD) 2) Puddlebunni 3) Cowboy

This week's prompts are as follows;

1) Write a story about superheroes who have powers that contradict their personalities. For example, a guy with a fear of heights that can fly.

2) Death Vigil <---- This is a really funny and great comic and I definitely recommend reading it if you guys have the time to.

3) "This was a world where the vilest of creatures came to roost. Even her mother, always so brave, wouldn't dare utter its name. This was a world where the snow fell black."

Inform me if you don't wish to be tagged to this anymore. Also tell me if I missed anyone. I'll eventually see it.
@WouldntItBeNice @JJJ-thebanisher @bbshark @Bucky @mizal @FrankIevatus @TheNewIAP @Romulus @TacocaT @Crescentstar @Mayana @Zulutrader @MasonJarGuzzi @Ogre11 @malkalack @Charaxes @eshspoyeofdoom @RoyalGhost_007 @StillWatersRunDeep @temporaryaccount @ISentinelPenguinI @Drew8521 @Orange @LickReborn @ZagHero @Gemini4Ever @Bannerlord @Taylor_Boulet @Madhattersdaughter @MrMustachio @firegrill @WizzyCat @Pleb @Saika @Iavatus @Minnieking @Claw2k11 @Nyctophilia @team_raiders_Cowboys @mattc

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Oooohh. ^-^ So would the second prompt be a fanfic?

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

It doesn't have to be a fanfic.

(You don't have to read the entire comic, know every single cryptic thing about every character, and find out all the little secrets etc etc....but if you want to, that'd be awesome :3)

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

i'm going to do prompt #1

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Probably can stop tagging Charaxes, Gemini and T-Count considering I banned them a long time ago.

I doubt if Zag uses LickReborn anymore either.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

I'm too lazy to stop tagging people unless they request it and I actually see it and remember. xD

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

I've seen Lick a few times, but LickReborn is abandoned i'd say.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Bah I'm such a loser, I never even finished. Oh well! I'll try for reals this week.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Lol it still says Pleb.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Isn't that the same thing MK said last time?

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Yeah and I said it again after Saika this time because I won't give that pleasure up.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

I know right! It's been 4 weeks! 4 WEEKS!?!

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

I hope Seto is doing this on purpose now because it's hilarious.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Plelb, you have an unfortunate choice of username.

But it could be worse. I'm waiting for the day when the music-enthusiast user known as Fagotti makes an account on Cystia and tries posting here. They will soon discover the unseen horrors of autocorrect taken to an unprecedented level.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

I'd do Prompt #1, but I'm currently cordoning off all my superhero-related ideas into the portfolio for the webcomic I'm going to shit out over the summer. We'll see if I can somehow twist 2 or 3 into the ongoing fantasy thing I promised but never fulfilled.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

OOOH webcomic! I'll be happy to see it! OOOOOOOOOOOOH!

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Don't say things you can't take back!

It's going to be a gritty realistic police procedural about lake pirates and bear cops, you probably wouldn't be into it.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Sounds like TV-14 Axe Cop!

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

I might as well do one of these after being tagged fifteen times. For number 3:

A New World

Many summers ago, I was afraid of the monsters hiding in my closet. I would cry out, “Mother!” She would burst through my door while I had my covers pulled over my head. Through the sheets, I could see her head shake. Even though she knew the answer, she’d walk up beside me and ask, “What’s the matter?” “Monsters are in the closet,” I’d whisper. Then, she’d open the door and reveal, “Only your clothes and toys are in here, my dear. Go back to sleep.” I would.

Now, I was the one who opened my closet’s door, and I was the fool who walked inside. As it turns out, there are in fact monsters, and I have no mother to comfort me except for death herself.

I turn around. There is my closet door. It’s wide open and shimmering, but the opening is shrinking every second at a rate of .0001seconds^3. The golden glow will be gone in more moments.

My partners and fellow creators are scrambling on the other side of the door. I’m surprised Melkavitch was the first to spot my door. His mouth moved so much, but I could not hear his high pitched voice. They drew signs reading, “Hold on” or “We’ll open another”. I shook my head. I can reenter at any moment, but I can’t and won’t.

I waive goodbye. The doorway shrinks like a fist clenching. My mother cries and blows a kiss at me. Then, it is gone, and I will never see them again. Is there where father went? I know it is somewhere here. Hell, it’s why I build this door, but I suppose he’s long since dead. This place is utterly abhorrent.

In hindsight, I should’ve gone somewhere else. No research indicated this world’s effect on my bodily systems, so I was not aware of its dangers. At least my colleagues have this information for future references, for I am quite sure they’ve seen how I changed.

I sit down. Above me are what appear to be clouds. They are without color and their jovial movements. These look more like skeletons. Around me is rock. It’s black with some brown plants. It’s also cold, very cold. My breath turns to white which is rather fascinating yet horrifying as well.

I look at my skin. It has faded from its normal luster into a pale shadow of its former magnificence. My mom always used to say how she’s glad I inherited her skin instead of my dad’s. Ironically, I believe I did receive his considering our fates.

Is there life on this place? Do the people have a name, or am I the sole being here?

The rumbling commences again. This is the fifth time already. Black snow comes out of the odd mountain in accompaniment to the rumbling. I stand and hike down the hill away from this area.

My feet are pierced by the rocks below my feet. I cry as I leave red footprints behind. Would my feet ever heal if given enough time? I have no clue, but I move onwards. The snow falls onto my shoulders and the ground around, yet it is not cold. I brush it off and cough.

I force my mind to wander. I cannot stand this evil place… I wish my father was with me. My mother cried for days after we lost him. She refused to name the place where he was lost. Half the knowledge was with him, so we had no way of reaching him. Well, that was until I became the other half of the key and convinced my mother to help.

I finished last night. My heart was racing, and my judgment became clouded. I powered the door and stepped through. Despite the terror of this world that I say, I called out, “Father!” There was no reply. I was going to step back in, for I wanted to give myself more than enough time before the formula ran out. I stopped myself, for my skin faded. I was… I am infected by this world. I cannot let this infection pass into my world on the other side of the door. From now on, I will be with the monsters in my closet.

I reach the bottom. The brown corpses of trees stand around me. They are without their warmth that I loved so much.

I sit down again and wipe the tears from my face.

I scream and cover my ears. Pain, so much pain. I cannot describe the sound, but it brings pain. I look up. Black birds fly and make the sound. I convulse on the ground and foam at the mouth. I see the birds fly away.

I feel my forehead. When I take my hand away, it is covered in blood. My feet are still bleeding, and I o not think this will stop.

Fluttering, I hear fluttering. I look to my left, and one of the birds lands on a tree. It looks down at me.

“Please!” I beg, “Please spare me from your torture. I cannot stand the sound.” It says nothing in reply. Its soulless eyes stare back at me.

It opens its mouth and makes the sound. I shriek in pain. My head feels as though it exploded, and my vision darkens. Here’s how I’ll meet my end I suppose. Oh, I was such a waste of potential.

I look up. The black demon flies away. Over me stands my father. His skin no longer shines and his eyes no longer sparkle, but his arm it outstretched. I reach out and grasp his hand. He smiles.

“Am I dead?”
“I don’t believe so.”
“What was that creature?”
“You’ll adjust to the crowing like I and the others. You’ll adjust to everything.”
“Others?”
“Yes, welcome to your new home, Terra.”

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Wow. We already got one lol. *clap clap*

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Wow. That was very good!

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

We use threaded view around here. Not that anything's inherently wrong with what you said, but sometimes it makes you look mildly dumb when you don't respond to the post that you're actually responding to.

Unless you mean crescent's regular one-line response to Wib's story was very good, in which case I think we've really found out what your problem is. You merely perceive in-depth ideas and atmosphere in bodies of text that nobody actually wrote down yet. If I were that psychic, I'd have mistaken that for a review worthy of judgment and discussion, too.

This probably sounds a lot more dickish than I want it to sound. I just wanted to contribute to everyone else's constructive criticism.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

i just put it in the wrong spot

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Yeah, but don't do that. Because it's silly.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

ok, won't happen again.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Yeah, the point is not to do that next time.

Mm...did you even read/comprehend what Sentinel said? 

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

I'm sure her reading comprehension is great.

She comprehends infinitely more than what is said. With only three sentences, she comprehended a whole story, where everyone else saw only three sentences.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

it actually isn't  is.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Yes. I can detect no sarcasm within this. 

Those three sentences spoke of a beautiful story that shall never be, but always will be...*insert more poetic rambling*

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

i won't.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Perhaps he didn't want to edit lock WIBN? I would've done something similar but worded it differently. Like "Yeah, it is great." Hey now, we all make mistakes.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago
You've really gone out of your way to adopt this random noob, huh.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

He's sorta promising and is willing to learn. :3 If it stays that way (getting better and taking advice and stuff), of course I'd help him. *shrugs* But, if he screws up badly like Gem or Kain, I can't help. :(

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Well, at least he's actually making an attempt I guess. Just don't put too much hope into him.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

I think a better outlook on things is to have high hopes and low expectations. It leads to pleasant surprises when something goes your way. If they don't... oh well.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago
This week will likely suck as badly as the last two but I'll try to get participating in these again.

We don't have to use the exact quote in prompt 3, right?

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Nope ^_^

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Lol. Pleb.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Does this have to be a SS/poem? Just wondering about this for future reference if I ever feel the urge to write something else. 

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

It can be a short story, a long story, a poem...really, any sort of writing :3

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Even storygames?

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago
Ever since the ancients people have had powers which contradict their fears and intentions. The prime awakening time is around five to six years old and usually during a life changing event. I say life changing but to a five-year old that could be climbing a ladder on the playground or jumping in a pool for the first time. Usually fear forms and so the power comes about around that time. Sometimes it's intent though. Take me as an example, I can fly - a lot of people can - everyone who can either intends to stay on the ground or fears heights. Some people like to ride the waves of fear and hover a little over the ground. Sometimes people use their powers in life-threatening situations where reason and fear are thrown out the door; like when 9/11 happened - people flew out of the upper floors. Some made it down but a lot of them ended up getting so scared and seizing up only to fall to their deaths 500ft from the buildings. Long story short I don't take jobs in tall buildings.

I work as part of the DPD - riot control. Not like we have a lot of riots but some domestic terrorism type stuff happens every now and then. Been on the force for 19 years now and I've been assigned a new medic - Carter Dawson. Says on his report he did a lot of earlier research in stem cells and what not. He'll arrive any minute now.

Dawson: Good morning, sir!

'Morning, Dawson. Looks like we'll be working together for a couple years presuming you do well. As team deputy it's my job to get to know you and then report back to the others so that we can all work together as a team and we'll see how you fit in with everyone else. Sound good?

Dawson: Yes, sir.

Alright well I went to Klemingway, majored in criminal justice and went on to join the police force after finishing my time at the academy. I see you got all hundreds so I don't expect any problems from you. As a coordinator I do have to ask if you're comfortable sharing your power do tell me so I can coordinate you better on the team.

Dawson: No, sir. I'm sorry, I'm not comfortable sharing my power at this time.

Perfectly alright. Since you're just a medic you tell us when you feel like it. Captain Nelson and I can fly - we're afraid of heights. Neither of us go into tall buildings and neither of us can handle being much more than five feet off the ground outside. Officer Johnson can summon dogs. Don't let an animal larger than a hummingbird around him - he doesn't like it. Obviously this means we don't have a K-9 unit. Lt. Rhyes is a water breather - she can handle water mostly fine until it gets above her waist. I've sene her go through knee deep water without much trouble before. That'll be all the people you work with mostly. We try to coordinate around powers and their hindrances.

Dawson: Got it. I don't have any affinity for water, animals, or heights so I think I'll do well.

Great. Wanna grab some lunch?

Everyone gear up!

All: Yes, sir!

Lt. Rhyes: what are we expecting?

Cpt. Nelson: 43. gang dispute.

Heavy?

Cpt. Nelson: Very heavy. Dawson you're with Rhyes in the med tank.

Johnson and I with you?

Cpt. Nelson: You got it. Rhyes and Dawson, catch up asap. We're going ahead.

Dawson and Rhyes: Yes, sir!

Rhyes: I know it's not my place to ask, but are you ever gonna tell at least the deputy your power?

Dawson: Hopefully not. It's not embarassing so much as just I don't like people to think of me differently after they know.

Rhyes: Well, we've seen a lot of different ones as riot control. Lots of people on their last breath use their powers. On the force we've had some crazy ones though - fire breathers, summoners, even had a shapeshifter here for a while. He moved up pretty fast so we didn't spend much time with him. Just saying, keeping you alive is as much priority for us as it is for you.

Dawson: ...Yeah. I've never seen a shapshifter before. I've only heard about them on TV. Rhyes: We're coming up. It's around this corner.

Dawson and Rhyes were met with carnage. Fire, black smoke, burning bodies, gore spread across the sidewalks and there were a lot more than forty dead lying on the streets. Cpt. Nelson was crouched behind an armored vehicle to avoid bullets coming from the buildings surrounding the streets. The deputy was laying still next to him - from a distance Dawson couldn't tell if he was breathing. Officer Johnson was nowhere in sight. Seemed like roughly twenty gang members were still fighting amongst each other and against the police.

Rhyes pulled up to cover the other side creating a space between two armored vehicles for first aid to be administered. Dawson jumped out to help the captain and Rhyes went pale as she looked at the deputys' condition.

Rhyes: He's lost too much blood. He's gone.

Dawson: Dammit! Captain!

Cpt. Nelson: I called in reenforcements an hour ago, but this is the reality of this city. Who will come to help a couple of officers in the middle of gang territory? We'll just have to wait for them to disperse and hope we can get a chance to get back in the ol' tanksy trucks.

A bullet ricocheted off the medic van and hit rhyes in the shoulder.

Rhyes: Fuck! Fuck fuck fuck! Shit fuck!

Dawson: Hold on Rhyes! Keep pressure!

Rhyes: Fuck! The bullets in my shoulder! Fuck it burns! It's burning in my shoulder!

Bullets continue flying. The captain is stable and Rhyes is blacking out from the pain.

Cpt. Nelson: Dawson what the hell are you doing?!

Dawson took the captains rifle.

Cpt. Nelson: Don't fight. You can't. You know you can't I don't want to visit your momma telling her the newest is dead. Please Dawson just get us up and drive away.

Dawson, with rage in his eyes, walks out from between the two DPDRC vehicles. A bullet goes through his knee but he keep walking. A larger bullet goes through his chest - knocking him back a bit - but he keeps walking. Taking aim with the mp5, bullets now raining through him from both sides, he picks off one....two....three gang members. Soon four, then five, then more until the shooting has stopped.

Dawsons' face is mangled, hardly recognizable he returns to Captain Nelson.

Dawson: Regeneration.

Rhyes was awake breifly for this - both her and the captain, already low on blood went more pale than ever. Rhyes began to cry. The captain looked distraught.

Cpt. Nelson: five years old...? you wanted...you poor, poor soul. I can't imagine...what you must've seen, experienced at so young too. Dammit Dawson, how old..? how old are you, really?

Rhyes, through sobs: I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. I'm sorry I'm sor-

Dawson: I guess it'll have been over a century now. Hard to age when your intent is to die and the universe decides to keep you alive.

Rhyes blacked out again. Dawson picked everyone up and strapped them into the medic van. The deputy now in a body bag.

Dawson: Johnson?

Cpt. Nelson: no.

Dawson just nodded and closed the van up.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Nobody expects Ford.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

^

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Did you literally put in more effort for this prompt than for your contest entry?

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago
minimum wage, fools! xD

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

@Seto Mind adding me to the list? I'm not making a story this week, but I'll see what I can do next week.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

I'm going for prompt 2. 

The Satanist's Cookbook and Other Child-Friendly Pastimes. 

Porridge, peas, and pepper pods 
Were Mia's mommy's pride.
She'd cook them in a breakfast dish
That chilled throughout the night. 

And in the morning Mia's mom
Would bring a mighty bowl
Of gruesome, chunky grey delight
That spewed from every hole.

But then one morning Mia got
A devious idea: 
She'd cook up her own breakfast meal
And wouldn't use a pea. 

A hint of blood, some sulfur sweets
A pentagram or two:
Essential evils children need
For growing strong and true.

When breakfast came the other day
It stirred up quite a qualm,
As Mia's magic breakfast dish
Was eating Mia's mom.

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago

Not sure if I'm supposed to lock this or not...

The Procrastinator and the Creator

6 years ago

Prompt 1. You may not understand how this fits into the prompt, so i'll explain it real quick. It's more of a mental thing, how he was given the power of his inspiration yet his procrastination contradicts this.

Dedicated to Ford. Good luck in Hell, my enemy.

Let me tell you a tale, of a young bunny named Ford.

He was a procrastinator, young Ford. Never getting anything done until the eleventh hour. He usually got away with this, due to the stakes not being very high when he bet with the other bunnies.

But, sadly for little Ford, he never knew the true consequences of his actions. The other bunnies made a bet, and bet carrots to see who could write the best storygame. Ford bet every single carrot he'd ever earned, certain he could win as long as he cranked something out at the last minute.

But that still wasn't enough for Ford. He said to the other bunnies, bat fateful day,

"hey bitches, if I lose, you can all kill me and eat my flesh from the bone."

The bunnies were disgusted. They weren't cannibals, but they really hated Ford. His bet was accepted.

"I'm actually a bit excited. Ford is as fat as a cow, he should make for a decent meal." End Rabbit muttered.

"Yeah, the steaks are raised." Minnie Rabbit said with a grin.

"I will shit on you in your sleep Minnie, I swear to god." Mizal Rabbit sighed.

"Sorry."

Now, Ford didn't quite focus on his entry. In fact, he waited almost two whole months before he even wrote a single word down. It wasn't until the mighty March Rabbit appeared from the shadows did Ford realize the importance of his writing.

March Rabbit was one of the three founders of the rabbits community. The other two being Alex Paws and Chocolate Bunny. None of the three appeared often, so this was a big event.

Ford decided to try and crack a joke at March's arrival after ol' Nycto called him to a nearby creak. March was impressed by Ford's joke, and gave him what he was missing.

He gave Ford his inspiration that day. Everyone believed in him because of this, and it was up to him to save their hopes. Their dreams. He inspired so many people with that gift, Ford did. He was a hero.

Yet, Ford still did not write. His gift from March rabbit didn't stop his streak of procrastination. No matter what, Ford just couldn't write. He had his gift. His inspiration. But it wasn't enough for Ford.

The young bunny sadly returned to the others on the deadline of the entered storygames. Many people had written great storygames. Ford had a piece of paper with "once," scribbled on it. Impressive for a bunny, but nothing compared to what the others had created.

Bucky bunny took forever to announce the winner, and everyone was waiting for Ford to be killed. Bucky simply said,

"Ford loses."

Ford's eyes were suddenly drenched in tears. His bunny fur stood on end. Literally. End rabbit grabbed Ford by the neck, and clawed his throat open.

Ford hurt so many people that day, losing their hopes and dreams just as he lost his inspiration.

But March watched this from afar, and he was the most hurt of all. His gift had meant nothing. But, as Ford's spirit drifted from his lifeless corpse, he knew that there was still a glimmer of hope. A glimmer of what there once was.

The End

6 years ago

Edit lock. Sorry if it's bad, i'm tired.

Does it fit the prompt @Seto ?

6 years ago

Sure :3

I don't think Ford cried for his account though xD

6 years ago

I'll bet he's been crying for a week straight.

6 years ago

You missed the part where Ford bunny saw it all coming and pulled a fast one by switching his body with a robot bunny he had been building for years. While his body was put in stasis, never to move again, his mind lived on in the new automaton, and he grew a second automaton at the same time, just to be ready in case this one was extinguished as well. The only thing he really cried about was losing the shiny medal that had been awarded to his old body once.

Ford is dead, long live the new Ford

6 years ago

They don't have fancy-ass technology because they're rabbits so I left that part out.

6 years ago

This is absolutely beautiful. A work of art. A master piece, and a very original, interesting way to use Prompt 1. I read the story before I clarified the prompt, and when I learned it was prompt 1, I was very impressed. Good job! It's a very well done piece of comedic work.

6 years ago

Ay, thanks Gamzee! ^-^

Writing Prompts Week #15

6 years ago
Well, rapidly running out of my weekend here and I've been trying to focus on expanding my chaos story with the writing time I had, so I guess I'll have to give this one a miss. :(

I had a couple of ideas I liked so I may wind up revisiting these prompts at a later time.