Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Escape the Dark Sector - Team Omega

2 years ago
Commended by mizal on 9/10/2021 12:52:45 PM

You have no idea how long you’ve been out of it, but it feels like forever.

Last thing you remember was performing your routine duties aboard your ship and then suddenly another ship decloaked and you were fired upon. 

There was a red alert and several armored beings materialized before you and everything went black.

Right now you don’t even know where you are due to a tight blindfold around your eyes covering your sight completely. You can’t speak due to something binding your mouth. Your hands are also tied behind your back and no amount of effort will get them loose. You can’t move very far anyway since something is around your neck and presumably chained to a wall.

The only sense you do have that can help determine your location is your hearing, but other than the faint rumble of an engine about the best you can assume is that you might be on a ship. Whether it’s yours or a different one you aren’t sure.

You also hear the occasional movement wherever you are. Someone or possibly someones are in here with you, but so far you don’t hear anyone speak and the movement is more of a struggling sound rather than walking about.

You then hear the sound of a door opening and several boots marching closer.

“Is this all that survived?” someone asks.
“Yes.” another voice answers.
“Damn it man, I told you lot to be careful! We’re supposed to be bringing people back alive from these raids.”
“I know sir, but the mutants…”
“Yeah, yeah, always the fucking mutants and their bloodthirsty ways. Oh well, it is what it is. At least we got their ship intact. Always need more of those. Wait, the mutants aren’t flying that thing are they?”
“Oh no sir! Got normal crew to fly it back to the station.”
“Good. Well get these fuckers up and march them over to the observation deck to take their blindfolds off.”
“What for sir?”
“I like the new captives to see where they’re going to be spending the rest of their short existence. Really gives them a sense of hopelessness!”

You are suddenly grabbed roughly and after your neck is unchained, you are forcibly moved in the direction of wherever the observation deck is.

Eventually you are stopped and someone removes your blindfold.

Well it certainly looks imposing.

Besides several armored guards, you look around and see at least five of your fellow crew members with you. You’re all going to the same fate and whatever it is, it won’t be good.

“Hahaha! You see that? THAT’S where you’re going to be FOREVER! Don’t worry though, most of you probably won’t live nowhere near that long.” one of the guards mocks (presumably the one who wanted you to see the station in the first place)

“Alright, I’ve had my giggles, let’s get this lot into the detention level. You know how the master likes everyone to be punctual.”

And with that the blindfolds are put back on to cover your eyes and you’re eventually marched off the ship and into the station. You don’t know how many turns and corridors you walk down, but you couldn’t memorize it if you tried.

At some point you hear your captors talking about diving you up and taking you to different cellblocks. You also hear someone mention where your ship was taken.

Eventually the blindfold comes off again, you’re untied and thrown into a cell with another one of your fellow crew members. 

The cell itself is spartan with only the bare minimal necessities available typical of a prison.

Time passes and you expect SOMEONE to come for you, if only for sinister purposes, but nobody ever does. You wonder if you’ve been forgotten about though every once in awhile nourishment is beamed into the room, but then perhaps that’s on some sort of automatic timer.

Things seem grim, but you and your fellow crew member eventually figure a way to escape your cell!

Looks like some others got the same idea you did in escaping. You’re glad whoever killed the guard didn’t take everything.

You find:

A Ray Gun: (One clip) (Energy damage) (One handed)

A Slug Pistol: (One clip) (Ballistic damage) (One handed)

A Chrono Bomb: You can use this once after rolling any number and any type of dice to discard ALL the results and re-roll. You have to accept the second results.

Decide who gets which weapon, the extra gear and who is going to take point before moving on to the next encounter because an alarm has just gone off and your escape has been detected!

2 years ago

"Well shit," exclaims Lt. Tennie Tanner as she takes in the scene before her. She had just broken out of her cell moments before alongside her fellow crewmate, Lt. Smith, by using her years of experience as an electrical engineer to short circuit the cell door's electrical lock. She was somewhat surprised that it did not have a backup mechanical lock. However, it certainly looks as though they were not the first to escape. Looking to her right, she quickly examines the contents of the smashed open weapon locker and grabs the ray gun. "You can take the Chrono Bomb for now since I can already reroll one of my die," she tells Lt. Smith, "We can decide who should keep it when we get a better understanding of the game mechanics." Lt. Smith looks over bewildered and asks, "What die? What game mechanics?" "Nevermind," Lt. Tanner curtly replies.

"Go ahead, Lt. Smith. Take the lead. You're the man here after all, and you're better than me at close combat," Tanner says once they've gathered the equipment.

(How many shots is in one clip?)

2 years ago

You'll have enough for a single combat encounter. And in actuality there doesn't really seem to be ammo items you need to find in the game (I thought there was though) so to keep things simple like I said, it'll just be assumed you reload as needed during combat/after combat. (So it is like you have unlimited ammo after all)

That being said, some weapons do have more ammo carrying capacity, (such as Mizal's battle rifle) and allow you to rip the entire clip on something for more damage if you so desire. In those cases, there's definitely going to be a round where you'd have to spend reloading rather than fighting.

2 years ago

Smith grabs the slug gun, peaking his head out of the door before moving forward. He moved carefully, listening for any noises coming from anywhere else. Years as a soldier trained him to be ready for anything. 

"We'll be fine Tanner. I promise." He always was the most high on morale of the whole group. "If you see anything weird let me know."

2 years ago

More loot

Moving on from the dead guard, you both make your way quickly through the twisting corridors. You still aren't quite sure where you're going, but based on what you find next, you think you might be heading in the right direction...

Jackpot!

Now you can just leave and move on to the next encounter or one of you can try to hack the terminal to open some of the boxes. This will require a WISDOM test and you can do it up to three times.

However nothing's free and each failed hack results in the terminal shocking you, causing 2 points of damage.

Decide on what you're going to do and when you're done, pick whoever is going to take point for the next encounter.

2 years ago

"Say Tanner, don't  you know how to work one of these locks?" Smith asks.

"No. Just because I'm the electrical engineer doesn't mean I know how to do everything.....but I could give it a try to open it." Tanner says, taking a closer look.

"No need. I got this." Smith says, grinning as he tinkers with it.

2 years ago

Two out of three ain't bad

Smith hacked the terminal, getting two of the boxes open before making a mistake and receiving a shock for his troubles.

After recovering from the minor frying of his body, he saw that the terminal had shut down. There would be no more hacking attempts. Still, there was loot to acquire.

A Power Wrench: When rolling doubles in close combat, you get to roll again an apply both results.

A Force Field: Allows you to block all HP damage once.

Decide who gets what and who takes point for the next encounter.

2 years ago

Smith grabs the power wrench grinning and giving it a few practice swings. 

"You can have the force field Tanner. I'll stay on point." He holds his wrench in one hand and gun in the other as he walks out into the hall.

Tanner follows close behind him. "You do have a plan, right?"

"Nope. The best plans come from no plans."

2 years ago

Wrench Wench

As you move along through the detention level, you think you must have avoided most of the actual cell blocks and are in the station’s personnel area. Fortunately it seems most of the guards are elsewhere looking for you.

Not everyone is gone though…

“Let's see this goes here and…dammit! Fuck! Hate working on these third rate pieces of shit! Never should have quit my job at the fembot factory!”

Well you can just move on as usual or you can go ahead and try to steal from the engineer while she’s busy.

If you’re stealing, pick someone to take a CUNNING test. If successful, you get two items.

If you fail, you’ll draw her attention and have to fight. She’s most vulnerable to explosive damage, though ballistic damage works pretty well too. Energy weapons do the minimal. (And as usual crushing her skull in close combat is an option)

Decide if anyone is flanking and how everyone’s attacking and assuming you win, you’ll get those two items.

After you’ve resolved your choice (Ignoring or stealing/fighting) and pick who takes point next, move on to the next encounter.

2 years ago

Without a word, Lt. Tanner sneaks into the room, hoping to grab something useful while the engineer is distracted with her work. In case she miraculously manages to perceive her presence and turn around, Tanner plans to grab any explosive or ballistic weapon within the workshop and shoot the engineer. If none are to be found, she would turn on her forcefield and act as a shield for Lt. Smith while distracting the engineer with whatever weak melee attacks she can manage. Afterwards, Smith can continue leading the way since it's been working out quite well thus far.

2 years ago

Sneakin' and creepin'

Tanner proved her stealth skills as she managed to enter the room and swipe a few things undetected. She wasn't able to find any weapons or at least nothing that was in one piece so she settled on the engineer's lunch box which included:

A brain stim: After rolling your crew die, you can use this to change the roll to a WISDOM result.

Stale rations: Restores 1 HP

Making off with the engineer's meager possessions, Smith lead the way through the rest of the area which was now starting to sound a little more lively with activity.

The sounds of guards could be heard nearby and going back the way they came wasn't an option...

Squeek. Squeek. Squeek.

The ducts begin to get tighter as you proceed and the air is getting uncomfortably hot. Combined with the fact that you think you're going in circles, things become tense enough that you start to panic.

One of you needs to lead the way through the ducts which will require two successful wisdom tests out of three tries before claustrophobia takes its toll.

Pick which character to lead (And whichever one is it, is going to automatically be taking point for the next encounter)

2 years ago

"I think I'd better go on ahead," Lt. Tanner says, "you and your hot head has lead us well so far, but there's no point risking it in these tight pipes that lead to Lord knows where. I used to go caving back on Earth, so I have experience with this." She grabs the brain stim to use in this encounter if necessary.

2 years ago

Old Junk

Tanner took the lead as her sense of direction was better. Or at least she thought it was as the ducts were a little more confusing that anticipated. She had to use her newly acquired brain medicine to focus better before Smith had a complete break down.

He'd already started futilely clawing at the metal ducts ripping his fingernails off before Tanner calmed him down.

Eventually though the ducts came to an end and both were glad to be out of those awful things. They weren't sure where they were, but there was a lot of half broken machinery and discarded technology. Some sort of storage or dumping area perhaps.

In any case, wherever they were, they weren't alone...

"RESISTANCE IS FUTILE."

Not entirely true, since the cyborg isn't in the best of condition and is slow enough for you both to run if you wish to avoid combat altogether. Of course it'll get a potential parting shot as you run off.

Of course you can just fight it. Energy and especially explosive weapons work best, ballistic weapons not as much.

Make your choice. If you run, pick who will take point for the next encounter.

2 years ago

(What kind of gun does the cyborg have? Also, is the only option for encounters like this to fight or run, or can we come up with more creative solutions that use nonfighting stats?)

2 years ago

I'm basically using the options given on the cards (Which is usually just the two).

As for the Cyborg, he's going to just do one point of damage for each successful hit. He'll be rolling two dice though with his parting shot.

EDIT: Well I guess you're fighting based on Matt's post.

2 years ago

I was mainly interested in the cyborg's weapon to see if it was worth fighting it to loot its weapon, but it looks like the weapon was destroyed during the fight anyways.

2 years ago

"Tanner shoot if you get an opening!" Smith runs forward, staying away from Tanner so she won't get shot, lifting his wrench to slam it down the cyborg's skull. He never met a problem he couldn't solve by using brute strength. This was just one more obstacle.

2 years ago

Terminated

Before Tanner could decide whether or not running might be the better option or if there was another way to deal with this mechanical abomination, once again Smith decided that the simplest approach was the best and rushed out to smash the cyborg's metal skull in.

Tanner opened fire on the cyborg while trying to avoid hitting Smith who was doing a fairly good job of bashing it to bits.

Eventually the cyborg was a heap of twitching bloody metal as it finished short circuiting and shutting down for good.

With the danger gone, Smith and Tanner took the opportunity to search the area a bit finding two Chrono bombs, much like one they already had. (You both have one space left, so going to guess you just take one each)

Having searched everything of interest, the two proceeded onward. The sounds of crowds began to get louder. It would seem they may be finally out of the detention level and approaching the heart of the station.

Pick who will take point before moving on to the next encounter.

2 years ago

"Tanner, I'll take point to get us there. But the moment we reach the detention center, you're most likely up for point. You know the mechanics and wires down there best." Smith says, cleaning the handle of his wrench as it was slick with oil

2 years ago

More people, more problems

Smith took lead and eventually the corridor opened up into an even larger area filled with people and actual stores. It would appear you've reached the more public area of the station. The guards will no doubt still be looking for you, but hopefully you can blend in with the crowd and be less conspicuous.

Many of the people here looked like mercenaries, merchants or travellers of some kind. The stores sell various goods, but you don't have any money so you can't buy anything even if you wanted to.

As you make your way through, you pass by an open bar area where on a monitor you some sort of game being played. What catches your attention more though is who you THINK you see on it.

You get closer to see if it's indeed who you think it is and that's when you literally bump into trouble...

“Oi! You spilled me drink, you clumsy dickhead!”
“Fucking tourists.”
“Let’s light ‘em on fire an’ piss ‘em out!”

Doesn't take long before the mercs decide to carry out their threats, after which a fight breaks out resulting in complete chaos as you and your fellow crew member are seperated.

Each member will have to fight their own battle and until they win, they can't help the other. Combat can still be either ranged or close. Explosives are the only thing that will does slightly more damage to the mercs as it's very difficult to get in a good shot.

If you defeat your opponent, you can move in to help the other, or you could always stay back to heal.

Make your choices of weapons.

2 years ago

Without time to even draw, much less aim her weapon, and knowing that she would never win a physical fight against one of these massive brutes, Tanner decides to fight defensively, fully intent on waiting for the younger and stronger Smith to finish his own fight and help her.

She immediately deploys her force field to block hits as she flanks around her attacker to get a chance to draw and aim her weapon. If the flanking shot were to miss even with her cybernetically enhanced targetting, she would trigger her chrono bomb to try again.

Once the flanking shot goes off, Tanner will hide take cover behind the bar table and heal with her medical drone if necessary, waiting for Smith to come to her aid.

2 years ago

Smith charges at his attacker, hitting them before they can make a plan. He fights as aggressive as possible, making sure none of them have time for anything. Once he finishes he runs over to Tanner, ready to defend her from any would be attackers.

2 years ago

Inciting a riot

Smith’s simple attack plan in this situation didn’t quite go as well as it had in the previous encounters as the merc proved to be experienced in close combat himself. The merc landed a couple solid blows to Smith’s face before Smith finally managed to smash the merc’s head in with his wrench. 

Meanwhile Tanner’s tactical approach to her attacker left her without a scratch and she wondered what took Smith so long. 

There wasn’t much time to search the mercs as now the entire bar was fighting, some of it even spilling outside. Won’t be long before the guards show up to restore order.

You find:

Expired Meds (Restore 2 HP)

A Battery Cannon (Ballistic damage) (3 clips) (2 handed)

Smith currently has a full inventory and Tanner only has one slot open, so you’ll have to decide on dropping/using stuff to make room if you’re taking everything.

Make your choices and pick who is taking point.

2 years ago

How much HP did Smith lose?

2 years ago

"Phew, that was a tough fight, huh? You might wanna use some of those chrono bombs soon, or we'll have to start dropping them. Doesn't look like you can hold much more in that tiny pack of yours. For now, why don't you ingest those expired meds? Maybe they'll prevent an infection from those nasty-looking wounds. If you're still hurt, you can also eat my stale rations. If not, I'll drop my chrono bomb and exchange my stale ration for one of your chrono bombs. Then I can take this battery cannon, which looks like it'll come in mighty handy."

2 years ago

Smith nods with the plan, swallowing the meds.

"I'll eat the rations just to be safe, so you can have the gun. You're better with ranged weapons after all."

2 years ago

"You wanna continue taking point?"

2 years ago

He nods, getting ready for what comes.

2 years ago

Before they leave, Tanner tries to catch a glimpse of the TV to see if the familiar figures were still there.

2 years ago

Friendly faces

Having healed and acquired a new weapon, Tanner looked at the screen playing the game earlier and saw that the familiar figures were indeed still on there. 

Not for long though as he saw them run off the game field leaving a few bodies behind them. The camera managed to get a close up before they left though and Tanner knew they looked familiar, because they were two fellow crew members!

And with that revelation, a thrown heavy object broke the monitor signaling that it was definitely time to put as much distance as possible from this place.

As Smith and Tanner ran and made their way through the small riot, they now knew that two more of their number no longer being held prisoner either. In fact they may very well be on this very level too given how large the crowds are here. It might be worth attempting to search for them.

Of course you could just continue on your own way to the ship.

(And here’s your current HP status)

Smith has 8 HP (After he healed up)

Tanner has 12 HP (Maximum)

Make your choice.

2 years ago

"Wow, you took a lot more hits than I first thought. Wait... did you see that on the TV just now? I think that was Abbot and Cook! It looks like they were in a stadium of some sort. Wish we could go look for them, but I haven't the faintest idea where to start looking. I'm sure they're trying to make their way back to the ship as well. Maybe we'll meet them along the way. What do you think, Smith?"

2 years ago

"They'll go back to the ship for sure. Abbot will probably be the one leading the way so we can count on them being safe." Smith says.

2 years ago

The Glow

Feeling that they would have no idea where to even begin looking for their fellow crew members, Tanner and Smith decided it would be best to just try to get to the ship quickly. With any luck, their crewmates will be there too.

Still hoping to avoid the riot that broke out earlier, the pair of them ducked into what seemed like a less busy part of the station...

Its radtastic!

Already just standing in this room is taking a toll (1 HP of damage) You can either leave immediately or grab some of the supplies in the room before leaving.

Make your choice.

2 years ago

Seeing as she already had a full inventory, Tanner leaves without searching for supplies. She suggests for Smith to do the same.

(Did I take damage from the radiation, or was that just Smith? In the status update post, I still have max HP.)

2 years ago

Yeah everyone took 1 HP of damage. I was looking at your old stats.

2 years ago

Smith nods, getting out as fast as possible and continuing point.

2 years ago

Slumming

Usually if something is giving off dangerous amounts of radiation, the best thing to do is to get away as fast as possible, Smith and Tanner wasted no time in doing so.

Wasn't long before they found themselves in a more populated area of the station again, but much quieter. Just a few merchants and people buying items mostly. Still there was no need to not hurry, especially since they were getting a few suspicious looks from folks who might have heard about escaped prisoners and looking to get a reward.

However, they wouldn't be able to completely avoid everyone...

"You two low lifes can't afford to pass up a deal like this!"

The merchant reveals the following items:

A Rocket Launcher: (Explosive damage) (Two handed)

A Beam Emiter: (Energy damage) (Three clips) (Two handed)

Brain Stims: After rolling your crew die, you can use this once to change the result to WISDOM

You may trade two items for one of his.

Of course you can also decide not to trade anything.

Make your choice.

2 years ago

"No, I don't suppose we can! This is some high quality merchandise you've got."

Tanner trades her ray gun and chrono bomb for a beam emitter. While she waits for Smith to make his trades, Tanner is suddenly overcome by a sense that the two of them have been exceptionally lucky so far in this escape journey, having had few encounters with hostile characters and found so much loot that they were almost unable to carry it all.

(From your earlier discussion on weapons, a weapon with 2 clips allows you to rip an entire clip. What would be the functional difference for a weapon with 3 clips? Might be a dumb question, but I know next to nothing about guns. Also, does the rocket launcher need to be reloaded after each shot?)

2 years ago

The more clips just means more potential dice to roll during a fire fight if you so desire. So far everyone has been still firing controlled single shots.

Of course rolling more dice also means more potential for your weapons to jam/overheat/explode. Using all the ammo like that in one round will require at least another round of reloading as well.

Yeah, the rocket launcher needs to be reloaded after shooting.

2 years ago

We've mostly been fighting 1v1 or 2v1, so I suppose I don't really see the downside to just firing all the ammo at once. If the enemy dies, then the battle is over, and we can reload before moving on. If the enemy doesn't die, we would have had to reload anyways if we fired the shots one by one. As for jamming/overheating/exploding, it seems just as likely for that to happen with 3 separate rolls as with 3 rolls all at once.

2 years ago

Smith smiles laying down both his chrono bombs for the rocket launcher. He holds it as he takes point for the next encounter.

2 years ago

Holohoax

Feeling pleased with both of their trades, Smith took the lead and left the bazaar behind.

More corridors as usual and once again the people started thinning out until it was just Smith and Tanner walking through the dimly lit metal tubes.

Suddenly an explosion could be heard in the distance. You aren't sure where, but it's enough to rock the pair of you and cause the lights to flicker. Two more explosions cause more severe shaking and the lights to go completely out.

When the lights came back on however, Smith found himself in a very unexpected situation...

"Why the hell is there a holodeck here?" - Smith

Hardly matters why, the fact remains Smith somehow got himself trapped in a simulation. Fortunately, Tanner was close enough to call out to him so he might find his way out.

This process was not easy and Smith just became more anxious and panicked as he kept going through the same glitched corridors over and over and over. This was worse than even those air ducts they went through and he began punching at walls in some vain attempt to find another way out. (Lose 3 HP)

Things were starting to look bad. In fact if the simulation hadn't glitched out completely causing it to end, Smith might have very well broke down and remained trapped in it.

It took some time for Tanner to reassure Smith that SHE was in fact real. After some excessive touching to the point where Tanner would have normally punched Smith in the face for such a thing, Smith was finally ready to move on.

Pick who is going to take point (Though I can sort of guess who it's going to be)

2 years ago

"There, there Smith," Tanner coaxed the distraught man while cradling him in her arms, "everything is going to be okay. The gas chambers were just an illusion. There were no little Jewish children being forced into showers."

Once Smith gathers his wits enough to move forward, Tanner decides to take point. "You take it easy for now." With fewer people and aliens around, traps and illusions seem like a greater danger than living enemies. Tanner hopes that her greater wits and cunning would help the pair avoid such dangers in the future.

(Congrats on finishing your new epic. I found this website through Necromancer, so I look forward to reading it, though I don't expect I'll have time anytime soon.)

2 years ago

Gangland

Tanner took point and pressed on further in what was now definitely a less used area of the station. Tanner was unsure what might be lurking about, but it probably wouldn't be station security at least.

Of course where there is a lack of law, disorderly types typically thrive...

"Sektor Snakes Rule!"

Well you stumbled right into one of the most feared gangs on the station, the infamous Sektor Snakes.

They're in an uncharacteristically generous mood though and are willing to let you pass through their turf if you each give one item from your inventories.

Of course you could always fight them. Explosives do the most damage. They're wearing material that protects greatly against energy weapons though and you'll have to get two hits with that type of weapon, just to cause one point of damage.

Make your choice.

2 years ago

Smith readies his rocket launcher aiming at one of the goons. He's careful to show as little of him as he can so he doesn't take damage. If he is able to he also uses the medical drone to heal himself.

2 years ago

Snakes! Why did it have to be snakes? Oh well, at lease these weren't the venomous variety. Tanner unleashes all 3 clips of her battery cannon on the other goon.

2 years ago

Fully strapped, always packed

The battle was started as soon as Smith pulled out his rocket launcher. 

The Sektor Snakes certainly weren’t expecting such firepower and scrambled for cover. The rocket was fired and did damage despite them being in cover. However the launcher wasn’t in the best condition and when it was fired, the heat of it was so bad that it burned Smith causing him to drop it for the rest of this battle.

Having survived the initial rocket attack, the remainder of the gang opened fire on the pair, getting in some hits, but once again the gang underestimated their firepower. Tanner pulled out her battery cannon and unleash its full destructive power until she was sure everyone was dead.

Smoke and the smell of gunpowder lingered a bit while they searched the bloody bodies for anything of use, but all they found was a forcefield

Both of them have their maximum inventory so if you want to take it, you have to drop something.

Decide on what to take/drop/leave and pick who will take point for the next encounter.

2 years ago

Having seen the full firepower of her weaponry for the first time, Tanner decides that a diverse arsenal is more important than a forcefield, which can only delay the inevitable. Though she was somewhat disappointed that every enemy they had encountered thus far was resistant to energy weapons, she was sure that a time would come when her beam emitter would come in handy. She does not take the forcefield. She will continue to take point, as they were still in the abandoned section of the station, and she suspected there would be booby traps ahead that her keen eyes and ears might be better able to perceive.

2 years ago

Anal Abduction

Seeing that Smith was in pretty bad shape, Tanner took the lead.

The pair walked down more empty corridors. None of these looked like they had been spray painted with symbols so at least they knew they were out of gang territory.

Of course it didn’t mean they were out of danger. A bright light suddenly appeared over Tanner…

“Should I get the probe?”
“Why do you always ask stupid questions? Of course get the fucking probe! Three of them!”

There wasn’t anything Tanner could really do, she just had to endure the torture…which was pretty horrific. (Lose 5 HP)

In fact, the less said about what exactly was done the better. It went on for hours, however she somehow managed to survive long enough to bore the sadistic scientists who just transported her back to where she was when she blacked out. 

Tanner woke up to find Smith helping her up. Tanner was disoriented and asked where the hell the ones who took her were. Smith says she never went anywhere though, she just collapsed and had only been unconscious for a few seconds.

Just one more fucked up mystery on this fucked up station.

Pick who will take the lead next encounter.

2 years ago

Awaking with a start, Tanner felt her body ache from head to toe to... unmentionable places. She immediately checked the bones that her torturers had extracted from her and found them somehow to all be in place. Her body also showed no scars from the incisions that they had made.

Yet despite Smith's claim that she had simply collapsed, Tanner knew that her torture had not been a mere dream. The hours of intense pain and fear that she endured was beyond anything that was possible in a dream, and her body felt weak and dehydrated, as though she had lost a significant amount of blood.

Tanner eyed Smith warily, wondering if he was actually Lt. Smith or if he was a clone made by the aliens to gaslight her. Still, he did have all the scars and wounds from their previous fights, whereas Tanner looked no worse for wear on the outside, and so she did not have the temerity to ask Smith to take the lead.

Tanner would continue to take point, though with a much reduced confidence in her ability to detect traps.

2 years ago

That was some REALLY bad luck with the stat roll test. You had test your MIGHT 5 times. Her might was the lowest stat and she didn't pass a single roll.

2 years ago

I'm curious what would happen if I succeeded the MIGHT roll. Was she just going to break free of her restraints and walk out of there with her stomach cut wide open?

2 years ago

Blown Away

Tanner continued the lead, but she was still very wobbly from her ordeal. Her and Smith were now both unsure if they were going to make it. They tried not to lose hope, but in this place things just seemed to keep getting worse every moment.

And the trouble kept coming...

WOOOOOOSSSSSSH

Tanner and Smith tried to hold on to everything they could to prevent being blown into the void of space. Smith was the strong of the two and was having an easy time of getting to the airlock, but his wounds were still severe. He couldn't catch his breath and could already feel himself losing consciousness.

He looked back and could see Tanner starting to lose her grip and that's when he made the decision.

With all of his strength he grabbed Tanner, pulled her over and used himself as a bridge for her to get to the airlock. Tanner managed to turn around to see Smith's eyes close and finally lose his grip. There would be no saving him and she closed the airlock door before she started suffocating.

If she managed to get out of here, Smith's sacrifice would not be forgotten.

Lt. Smith

Blown into the cold void of space

Survival Time: 11 Encounters

2 years ago

Wanted in 12 systems

Tanner pushed herself on. She could sense she was getting close to ship. She had to be, because she wasn’t sure how much more of this place she could take.

She was about to find out though…

“This is the way.”

Before Tanner could even react, the bounty hunter shot her which knocked her down the floor. She barely had time to get out of the way of the follow up attack. (Lose 2 HP)

You won’t be talking your way out of this one. 

The Bounty Hunter’s armor is resistant to energy weapons so you’ll have to get at least two hits just to do one point of damage with one. Ballistic does normal damage, explosive does more.

Fighting him in ranged or close combat makes no difference, he’s proficient in both. He’ll also do an extra point of damage with each hit. 

Make your combat choices.

2 years ago

How? How had everything gone so wrong so fast? One moment they were a fully equipped crew of 2 with hardly a scratch between them; the next moment Smith was dead, and Tanner was barely still alive.

Perhaps she should not have been so quick to trade away her chrono bomb for that useless beam emitter. Just as she was catching her breath and processing her teammate's death, yet another enemy who was resistant to energy weapons appeared before her. This one had apparently come across the entire galaxy to kill her. How long had it been since she escaped her cell? She felt that it couldn't have been much longer than a day, but evidently it must have been. She shouldn't be surprised since she knew from the previous encounter that her perception of time was warped in this station.

Regardless, she would have time to ponder such things later if she survives this encounter. Knowing that it would take a miracle for her to do so, she closes her eyes and decides to spray and pray with the 3 clips on her Battery Cannon. If that fails to kill her assailant, she will throw her beam emitter at him in frustration at its uselessness and then tackle him, attempting to wrestle the bounty hunter's gun away to use against him.

2 years ago

Jammed

Tanner could still survive this. At this range the bounty hunter had nowhere to hide from the destructive power of her battery cannon and his armor wasn’t going to provide enough protection

Tanner brought up her weapon and prepared to unleash hell on him.

She pulled the trigger…

Click.

Jammed.

Tanner had just enough time to look down at her failed weapon and then back at the bounty hunter before a single piece of lead entered her brain.

The bounty hunter followed up with a slicing blow to Tanner’s neck so he only had to carry the head back. Upon closer inspection of Tanner’s face, the bounty hunter rechecked his imager.

“Shit. This isn’t her.” 

Realizing his mistake, the bounty hunter dropped Tanner’s head and quickly made his way off the station, just glad nobody was around to witness this mistake that could ruin his reputation.

Lt. Tanner

Brought down by a bounty hunter

Survival Time: 12 Encounters

Team Omega’s attempts to ESCAPE THE DARK SECTOR have ended here.

2 years ago
F

Great attempt, guys.

2 years ago

I actually thought they were going to get out given how lucky they were of avoiding most of the bad encounters. Or at least I figured Tanner would survive given how many HP she had all the way up to near the end.

That abduction card REALLY fucked things up though. The bounty hunter encounter was just the final nail in the coffin, though she still could have survived that, but that was always going to be unlikely especially after the hunter successfully shot her before combat even started. At that point another hit was going to kill her. (And did)

2 years ago
dang, their luck just gave out in the end, especially with the chain of damaging cards.

2 years ago

F

Shouldn't have jinxed myself after the "Slumming" encounter. I was feeling a bit cocky.

2 years ago
Haha, Team Alpha reigns supreme!

There's no way we can lose now!