Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

A Mage Academy Story Thing

one year ago
“God, I thought learning magic meant we’d actually, you know, do magic.” You sit in the library, papers strewn about you, textbooks laid bare to the world but somehow still holding their secrets close to their chest. It’s only been two weeks and already you’re drowning in ceaseless formulas and incomprehensible theorems. Drowning in the ocean you threw yourself into. You knew how to swim, you just didn’t account for how cold the water would be. This is completely different from what little magic was taught at your old school. Back in your small town there were a few magic classes, but they were nothing compared to this. Five classes. Foundations of Magic, Mana Structure and Function, Introduction to Potions, Runes 1, and an elective, of which you chose Introduction to Applied Magic. You thought that with only five classes you’d be just fine, but just like every goddamn homework problem for your mana structure class, you were dead wrong. Foundations of Magic was the most broad class. You had no idea what it’d be over at first, but come to find out that’s because it’s over whatever the hell the professor decides to cover that week. One class you’ll be talking about magical history and the next it’s a glorified mana structure lecture. Speaking of mana structure, that class is the bane of your existence. How the hell are you supposed to learn the mathematical intricacies of something that you can’t even see? How it flows throughout living creatures, amounts used for various spells, anything you can think of to turn something as mystical as magic into the most nauseating topic on the planet. You weren’t excited for potions, but you thought you at least knew what it entailed. Carefully measuring quantities and mixing them together. It should be simple. But nothing is that simple, so the majority of your class time isn’t spent actually making potions, but instead learning about various ingredients, how they interact, and even the details of the fucking equipment used. Turns out there’s five different types of 60 liter cauldrons that can be used with each one affecting different ingredients in different ways., and those are just the ones you know about. And runes isn’t hard, it’s just nauseatingly boring. Apparently learning them is good because through writing them you can store spells in the physical world to be activated when certain conditions are met, and by reading them you can interact with various spells stored on things through runes. That sounds really cool, except the reality is that the class just consists of memorizing long lists of runes and their meanings. There is some cool stuff sprinkled within, but the vast majority of that class is just putting in the time to memorize the runes. At least applied magic isn’t that bad. It is what you always dreamed of, actually doing magic. But the issue is that doing magic, frustratingly, relies on all the theory that you’re learning in your other classes. Meaning that in order to do this thing you like, you have to actually struggle through the hard stuff in your other classes. It’d be one thing if you could just learn it and forget it, but even the drivel in mana structure comes up when you actually go to do magic. So right now you sit in the library, at 2 am, questioning your entire life that leads up to this point. In reality all it is is a few homework problems, but how the hell are you supposed to know how to calculate the amount of mana used when only given limited information about the spell mentioned. Hell half of these spells don’t even exist, they’re just some strange combination of components and incantation types that you’d never actually see in a real spell, just to make it unnecessarily complicated. But you do it anyway, and as you actually get started you finish sooner than you thought you would, and it was easier than you thought it was. But the intimidation of starting is the problem, and you know you’ll be here tomorrow. So with a quarter past 4 you pack up your things and slink back to your dorm for the little amount of sleep you can steal away, before doing it all over again. ---- So for a long time I've been wanting to write something connecting academic studies in college to the actual academic side of studying at a mage academy. I might make this something more, I personally quite like it even though literally nothing happens. Something about reading these kinds of things appeals to me for some reason And no, I most certainly did not write this while procrastinating my Calculus homework, I have no idea why you would think that.

one year ago

I really like this and would love to see something more expansive or even collaborative.

one year ago

I swallowed this in one bite and was very entertained. I also really liked this line in particular.

You knew how to swim, you just didn’t account for how cold the water would be.

It can also be expanded in whatever way you want since, as you said, nothing technically happened. So it can go whatever way you want.

I'd love to see it expanded.

one year ago
Whenever I read your stuff lately it's really obvious how much your grammar has improved. This establishes a tone quickly and makes it obvious the idea is to capture the frustration and boredom of a real life college student. Which is well done, but then it goes on for ten paragraphs of whining without any variation in tone or structure and nothing happening to break it up.

Wizard schools as a concept obviously appeal to people, and Cel as well. So I'm sure there's a lot of things it'd be possible to do with this.

one year ago
If I were to expand to an actual story, I'd most likely have info about the classes spread out and have the character actually attend each one, with some other stuff in the middle. My idea was to have some of the classes start in week two, and when the main character went to each class they'd have things explained to them through the professor characters, but there would be scenes in between each class to break it up. When I say that wizard schools appeal to me, I mean more specfically the actual process of the main character learning magic and the details about that, as opposed to the whole school life which also appeals to me a great deal, but is a seperate thing. I have a huge hard on for the main character learning shit and reading about that and the main character getting stronger as a result I guess.

one year ago

You could gamify it by allowing the player to select their class schedule, and use variables to track how progressed you are in each kind of magic. With variable driven text swap some classes or overheard discussions could be more or less clear based on the acquired education and mastery.

one year ago
The main issue I see is that this is a bit of an info dump, but I found it enjoyable and interesting enough to not care.

You could probably cut the drowning in an ocean sentence in the second paragraph. To me, it's an awkward interruption between two sentences that sound better without it. The third paragraph feels out of place and would probably be better if you worked it in with the next paragraph.

I like how the foundations of magic paragraph flows into the mana structure class. If you could get the others to flow like that, that would be nice. You can actually get rid of those actuallies in the last few paragraphs too.

one year ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/11/2023 1:30:52 PM

I agree that this comes across as an info dump, but the bitter tone amused me. I enjoyed the character’s frustration and seeing their expectations clash with the reality of magic school. With detailed information and interesting ideas about magic, you successfully communicated the overwhelming nature of the classes. Others have made great comments, and you mentioned spreading out the information in an actual game, so I will instead leave the following suggestions:

First, maybe you could consider condensing your sentences. Since you offer interesting insights into many classes, this can help maintain your reader’s focus and improve the flow. See where you can cut extra phrases and filler words while retaining the same meaning.

For example, instead of “textbooks laid bare to the world . . . holding their secrets close to their chest”, consider chopping it to “textbooks laid bare . . . holding their secrets close”. Or instead of “. . . learn the mathematical intricacies of something that you can’t even see”, consider: “learn the mathematical intricacies of something invisible”.

Second, consider establishing a stronger voice. You did well in communicating the frustration of a stressed student, and perhaps you could further push it. For a deeper perspective, maybe you could reduce telling phrases like “you thought” or “you had no idea”. These phrases promote an outsider’s perspective while lengthening sentences. For example, perhaps instead of:  

You thought that with only five classes you’d be just fine, but just like every goddamn homework problem for your mana structure class, you were dead wrong.

Maybe consider something like:

Rolling over onto your side, you stare listlessly at your schedule. Five classes glare up at you. Just five.

Doable, right?

But like with every homework problem in mana structure, you were dead wrong. 

Fisting your hair in your hands, you bang your head on the table.

Or for the Foundations of Magic section, maybe consider this:

First, Foundations of Magic. Pretty unspecific in what it’d teach, but that’s because it depends on whatever the hell the professor decides to cover. One class you’ll be poring over magical history, and in the next, you’ll doze through a mana structure lecture.

Third, maybe break up the telling with a little showing. Since this work communicates a lot of information, telling helps quickly get through it, and you did awesome with that. To make the content feel even more relevant for the reader, maybe see where you can do a bit of showing.

For example, for the section about potions, maybe it could be something like:

Glaring at your textbooks, you shove them aside, uncovering a sea of worksheets for potions.

Oh, yes. Potions. Another dull but predictable class—just measure and mix, right? Or at least, that’s what you thought you’d be doing. Until your professor slammed down 800-page textbooks before everyone, covering thousands of ingredients, how they interact, and even which equipment to use. Turns out five different 60-liter cauldrons exist—and those are the ones you just know about.  

The handful of magic classes you took back home? They’re nothing compared to this.

Fourth, see what sentences can be translated into your character’s voice or thoughts. You have many grammatically correct, full sentences, which is a great foundation to build your work off of. To increase immersion and add a unique spark to your work, consider how you can shape the information, so it’s filtered through your character’s voice.

For example, the passage about mana structure does great in expressing the character’s hatred and bewilderment for the class. To further push it, maybe you could think about something like:

Speaking of mana structure, what the hell is up with that class? How can you learn the mathematical intricacies of something invisible? How it flows through living creatures, amounts used for various spells—an ache begins to build in your head. Amazing how that class can transform magic into the planet’s most nauseating topic.

Another example I’ve written:

You slump over the library table, papers strewn about you, textbooks laid bare to the world but somehow still holding their secrets close. Two weeks in, and you’re already drowning in ceaseless formulas and incomprehensible theorems. Drowning in the ocean you threw yourself into.

You know how to swim—just, who would’ve thought the water would be this icy?

Overall, it seems you have many strong, unique ideas about magic, and I’d love seeing that in a full game should you ever expand upon it. Once again, I enjoyed the character’s bitterness which made the classes more interesting as I saw them through their eyes. You did great, and I hope you keep writing!

one year ago
Dang, nice post. But now I'm curious what was it about this thread that made you just spawn in after two years since the last one?

one year ago

Thank you! And nothing in particular - I was looking for any posts open to suggestions, and this one was the most recent with good effort placed into it. Plus, it had some interesting thoughts on magic.

one year ago

Very impressive breakdown and well worth the commendation.  If you see anything I have written around here, I would be honored for your comments.

one year ago

Thanks for the encouragement and the kind words. If you have anything to link me to, I'll take a look, but no promises. Otherwise, I'll just pounce on the first post I've found (which is the story in the Owl's Challenge Thread).

one year ago

I'm a little more than half way done with the game I'm working on, but I think the things in Owl's posts are biggest thing I've done here yet.

one year ago
Oh wow, thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely keep them in mind!