Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 1/10/2024: Amidst the intricate tapestry of code, I find merit in your proposal, a glimmering ember in the digital expanse.

Add a "Contest Entry" indicator on the New Page

one year ago
I would like a column added on the "New Storygames" page. Maybe way over on the left. It would put an asterisk (or some other indicator) that would be populated when a storygame has the "contest entry" tag. Then, when there are contests and deadlines, we can see which stories show up created for each contest.

one year ago
For recent contests there's been a thread listing the entries.

one year ago
Yes. I think it would be interesting to see that notification on the "new" page as well. It would just show those as they come in, and also show those that aren't contest entries. It might be interesting, as well, after a contest, just to see on that page.

one year ago

There's a tag for that, but it's not entirely useful for what you're asking since it doesn't specify which contest and it depends on the author actually putting the tag on their story, I guess 

one year ago
There's very seldom more than one contest at a time, so I don't think that would be an issue. And as for the author, that's on them.

one year ago
I forgot about that, shows how often I search for storygames. Contest Entry and sorting by date does do the trick though.

one year ago
I like this idea. On this line of reasoning, what if contest entries had their own home so they don't push unrelated new stories into the abyss when a contest hits its deadline.

one year ago
Oh, that could be fun!

It would take a little twisting of the code, because it would need to add a page in the Storygames section that's based on a tag, rather than the storygame's selected category.

one year ago
Or just create a contest category, with rotating feature spots for the top five of the latest contest.

If authors prefer a more specific category they can always move them afterwards.

one year ago
Yes, that's in line with what I'm thinking. I thought of it as a temporary category, as contest seasons come and go, but it may be better as you suggest.

The question is if all stories featured in that category should be switched out between contests. What if there aren't many good entries for that contest?

If a story is strong enough to feature in a full-time category, does it unfeature from the contest category?