Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Anyone heard about this game before?

8 years ago

I just sort of stumbled onto this trailer of it. Never even heard any of the controversy about it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qV3PhvCf_Jg

Reminds me of an updated version of the first Postal game.

8 years ago

Wow, I'm surprised you, of all people, haven't heard of it. I played a bit, got bored, then stopped. The execution scenes were pretty weak - even my seven year old nephew asked "Was that it?" after most of the executions. You generally also get bored of all the killing after a short while. I feel these reviews I got from Wikipedia pretty much sum up the game:

GameSpot felt that the gameplay of Hatred lacked variation, arguing that the game "fails even at being dangerous." Similarly, Jim Sterling, while criticizing the tone, concluded that "worse than that – we got a damn boring game" Rock, Paper, Shotgun felt that the "most of all, [Hatred] fails to be a controversial, shocking experience". Chris Carter of Destructoid was also critical of the one-note gameplay, while also reporting technical issues on release. Richard Cobbett of The Guardian described the controversy as being "about the feuding around the game rather than the game itself", calling the final product a "a bland monochrome rehash" of Postal.

8 years ago

Seems like the kind of game you pick up, play non-stop for awhile, then don't ever pick it up again until you go for an achievement run or are attempting to kill some time. Still, a game about random killings? I've got nothing against it, but it's going to piss off a lot of people, I can imagine. Not the wisest choice. 

8 years ago

The main problem is, it's all been done before and better. You can mow down innocent people in games like GTA all the time. The only difference is other than killing folks, the rest of the stuff stripped out of this game.

Using the closest comparison; the original Postal  (which I see in the comments is getting referenced a lot) this looks like a more cinematic "Death Metal" version of that game.

I mean I'd still play around with the game and LARP as Nathan Explosion, but yeah after a single play through I probably wouldn't bother going back to it and just keep it around as a oddity.

8 years ago

Honestly...I never played it, will never touch that with a 100 ft. long pole, not even if it had a chainsaw on it, but from what I've heard its 'Definitely not a good game, but it isn't a bad game either as a bad game will make you feel SOMETHING...this is just generic.'

8 years ago

Oh yes, saw it in a GT video. At least I think that was it, the extremely realistic violence game.

8 years ago

Yep, in the video where they exposed the supposed controversy of games. They briefly talked about this game.

8 years ago

8 years ago

Aus is a pretty crappy place to be if you're a gamer TT^TT

Still, any game that tries to sell itself based on controversy is likely to suck anyways

8 years ago

Highest ping you've ever got? Mine was, like, 700-1000 >_<

8 years ago

900 =_='

Sucks that in most instances there aren't any Oceanic servers either, and with our internet speeds as crappy as they are...

8 years ago

It's not much better for us Westies, either :P at least we can play locally. 

8 years ago

Oh, yeah, it's just like Postal, except it's awkward, boring, stupid in ways that aren't hilarious and entertaining, and the joy of murder is taken away by the fact that it's the only objective. Not to mentio that this is to violence what Night Trap was to risque sexual content: Everyone's butthurt and argumentative about it, but the fact is, it's as tame as shit and thoroughly not a game you'd give the time of day to if some bleeding-hearted morons didn't decide to stir up shit. If anything, this game would deter the future murderers of the world, because it portrays mass murder and genocide as a boring, monochromatic chore. If you want to ruin video games for everone and spread fear in the news, you're much better off blaming Call of Duty or some other sweaty brown racist shooter that the majority of intelligent gamers are sick of putting up with every year anyway.

8 years ago

No....Even Call of Duty spices things up...Hell GHOSTS does things better and remember what a nadir that was to the entire series?

Medal of Honor was great but the ones set in modern day are terrible and filled with set pieces that take away the joy of just shooting something in the face...Yet it has COLOR...granted most of it is brown but compared to Hatred it's SIN CITY.

Dynasty Warriors...love it or hate it, its got moments of copy/paste that the fanboys themselves cannot deny...AND YET THERE IS STILL JOY TO BE HAD!

8 years ago

Call of Duty has no spice left, it barely updates its own mechanics every year, just adding little bits of shit ith every overpriced sequel. What's in the next one? Oh, the graphics are prettier? Pah, graphics aren't everything! What about the gameplay? Oh wait, there's dogs!? Oh, well then your half-update is obviously forgivable. How will you ever top it? Oh, you can drive vehicles in the next one? Spectacular! Welcome to every fucking video game ever! People spend hundreds of dollars a year for the same experience and the same goddamn storyline with slight updates and excuses to blow shit up in "Gritty", "realistic" ways. Same thing with Battlefield, except they got the vehicles earlier. I mean, goddamn, even the new Wolfenstein went the shitty brown shooter route, but at least it had dieselpunk and mutants!

Medal of Honor? Ohhh, so beautiful! They added two colors to their bland oatmeal palettes! I'm glad I can play this instead of watching all the color-sensing cones slowly atrophy away as I play the same goddamn corporate money-guzzling poison over and over again with 12 year olds and insipid, worthless "Hardcore" gamers who don't give a shit about the "Entertainment" concept that this fucking industry was built on.

Dynasty Warriors is a repetitive, button-mashing fiasco of uninterestingly, annoyingly, ridiculously, immersion-shatteringly unrealistic combat that gets duller with every fucking level, yet they've somehow managed to stretch the damned thing out over umpteen sequels and a Zelda re-skin because people  with nothing better to entertain themselves with keep fucking buying it.

In my opinion, the FPS met a slow, horrible death in creativity after Halo came out, and finally gave up the ghost after the fifth fucking CoD game. I'll just have to wait now for them to reach a point where they realize that there's nothing left to "Improve" on in the overbeaten, hardly recognizable dead horse that is the "realistic army shooter" and give up, then buy that game, just like I'm waiting for all the 2D fighters to give up and release a game with every character ever.

But there's one thing all these turgid, soul-sucking piles of child-infested rot have that Hatred doesn't have: Concerted fucking effort put into them.

8 years ago

Just give or take, like, five years and the franchises that spit new games out after every six months/year are going to fall. Assassin's Creed is definitely going to die within the next few years, the games already suck (seriously who plays AC anymore?) FPS like CoD have a large number of players, and sales just keep getting higher with each new update, so they're not going to die right away. The only thing CoD has for it are the fans. And if doesn't look like that's going to magically disappear any soon.

I can't stand the money guzzler game companies that actually follow this spit-out-game-every-second business model: IT DOESN'T WORK! Well, allow me to reiterate; it "works" for a limited time before you realize you actually have to begin putting in some effort or drop out. 

Sigh... on one side you have companies like Ubisoft releasing games every second, and then companies like Valve where it's been over a decade since the last installment. Man, people -- fans of HL have died already! Died without knowing what happens after that cliffhanger!

And then there's people like Todd Howard who pull through just fine. #LordToward #TowardisthenewGabn

8 years ago

Ubisoft...just...What the hell happened man!? You used to be so good! There was the Rayman games, there was the Prince of Persia Games *until the 2008 one that killed the series dead*, There was *there was just a ton of good games*

Then comes Assassin's Creed, which hit its stride WAY TOO SOON for their plans of expanding the franchise until the universe in all its entirety is just full of AC sequels!...And sharply fell with 3, then rose to 'Promising' again with 4...then *Whistle Noise* The rest after that...

Activision...They used to be pretty good about things themselves, THEN COMES CoD...the first games were revolutionary for the time, 3 was forgettable...Modern Warfare was loved and then it got expanded to bloated CORPSE...

EA, they did I think a couple of the MechWarrior games, the 007 games *except Racing, who thought it was a good idea!?*, Aliens vs Predator Extinction, American McGee's Alice, Bard's Tale games...Then comes Battlefield, don't get me wrong the old installments were addiction forming *Played 1942 only once at a friend's house and I wanted MORE*, and its step into the 21st century was..Mixed...multiplayer was fun though!...Then come mistake after mistake after mistake, I don't know what to make of them, they try to improve but they make so many damn mistakes its almost dilliberate!

ALL OF THESE....HAD HIGH POINTS AND ONE STILL DOES!

Hatred's developers...Yeah only one game to their name I would say...if they get enough for another I will be honestly surprised...and disappointed.

8 years ago

I guess Hatred isn't that bad, it's kinda fun and polished for an indie game, but I wouldn't honestly pay money for it. (I have a similar thing with my enjoyment of MDickie's games.) That, and the fact that the inability to live up to hype blots out 70%-90% of any quality a game has. In hindsight, that's what happened toDaikatana. It actually holds up pretty well for its time, minus some of the bugs and shit. I guess it was the first ever brown, (But it was mostly a greenish shade of brown.) gritty co-op shooter, but at least it had an inclusive cast and creative weapons. Oh, and there's more then one type of enemy.

Either way, I'm waiting for everyone to abandon EA (I'm pretty sure it secretly stands for "Evil Assholes", given all the shit they're pulling... I'll be here all week, folks!) and then cash in on all the dramatically cheapened Sims DLC before it dies.

8 years ago

You evil little genius...Heh

But yeah lets see, Daikatana...it was overhyped yes, thing is, the gameplay is JANK, even worse on the N64 version where the controls are so obtuse its ridiculus! Meanwhile the first shipping of the game? Crashed HARD, and in order to fix that, you had to remove certain bits of code...yeah like I want to learn C++ before I play a game bought with hard earned cash.

8 years ago

To be honest, if John Romero wasn't being made into the all-responsible Christ of the game industry, and I didn't have any of the pre-warned bias of the internet and the 90s kids I grew up around, I actually would've considered it a pretty good game. At least a little better than the first Mario Kart. That was the game that made me first realize as a kid that not all games were fun. I learned, however, that games could be bad from Supes 64. Yeah, I only paid 25 cents for it, but I still felt ripped off...

8 years ago

He just kept changing the game's engine and scrapping the projects in order to make it from scratch, when really, he didn't need to do that.

The N64 does have some flops, its true, HOWEVER the thing is? There were some good games and the only real reason it really flopped and Nintendo went from Industry leader to barely a competitor? Because there was a guy who proposed that the N64 use these new things called: CDs

This was REJECTED by Nintendo, possibly because they didn't want to push back the release of the console doing the necessary alterations to it...Then that guy quit and formed his own company, Nintendo went with the Philips company to do a CD Console....this we know is the CDi...meanwhile the company formed by that guy who quit? Sony was its name and the console released with games on disks? Playstation!

8 years ago

The N64 was actually a really big thing, its flops were few and far between, as whatever wasn't good just didn't get much publicity, unless it was as inflated as Daikatana. (The same way you really have to go around looking for explicitly bad games on consoles today, unless they're as inflated as Colonial Marines.)

Oh, that whole business is a little more complex then that. In fact, there were/is/possiblyexists/isprobablybeingsoldbyscalpersonebaytothisday an accessory that went underneath the base N64 that allowed disk games to be played, (Along with extra space for graphics that were even prettier, because at the time they were the absolute best. Even the first playstation in its later years was noticeably less gorgeous than the N64, kind of an xbox 360-PS3 comparison.)  and the idea wasn't rejected in the least by nintendo. In fact, there was going to be addable things like 3D modelling programs, connection to the internet. (The earliest ideas for OoT involved other players being able to influence your gameworld. Seriously, some of the ideas they had for these games make the actual products look bad. Did you know the original zelda might've allowed you to create your own dungeon!?) The thing was, it wasn't even a separate console, but it cost more than the original console itself and Nintendo didn't feel like anyone would buy it, even if it was thoroughly awesome shit and stopped adding things to it, sold the ones they did manufacture, and whatever games were actually on it. (I think certain versions of Doom, 007, and Wolfenstein were only playable on the advanced graphics part, but I'm not sure. It's time to end this enormous fucking paragraph anyway.)

And then at some point before or after this Sony hopped aboard, they decided to make a new console, then some copyright issues popped up or some other rubbish and they decided not to go through with it. At that point, Nintendo was kind of left in the dust for a few years because it spent a lot of money on the development of that one project and some others, but later came back swinging with the Gamecube and it was all better again. And then there was Sega, who just never recovered from the CD transition and just rocks back and forth in the corner living in schizophrenic denial of the existence of the outside world.

8 years ago

On that second point, if that is true, that would be amazing but I understand WHY that plan was scrapped, considering the 3DO which came later, the Turbographix which was a CD console that had less processing power than the NES, the CD-i, Atari Jaguar *CD accessory was poorly designed both in ascetic AND interior work, Doctor Insano *Spoony Experiment* explains this better than I.* and various attempts to cash in, plus the times that the N64 existed in...

No one would want to buy a system that cost the same if not more than an Alienware computer.

8 years ago

Come to think of it, I think there's an unlicensed 'sequel' to Doshin the giant on this accessory which consistsof you playing as a little Mr. G&W figure running along 2D planes on a 3D level around a trapped Doshin performing strange and convoluted tasks by thrusting in the air and thus launching hearts out of your crotch at voluptuous silhouettes. This causes a cutscene of animated Doshin the Giant fan art and... Well, let's just say that this accessory is not only obscure and seedy, but also incredibly Japanese... I think the first Doshin game might have come out on this too, although if not the original version, it probably came with prettier graphics and better terraforming... Or maybe they really did just say "Fuck it" and released CD versions of their games just so people would have more motivation to buy the thing.

8 years ago

Old school "Murder/torture sim"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bqkz12Fo2jA

And I'm pretty sure if they tried to do a game like this one for wide spread release today, it would generate a shit storm of magnificent proportions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dtB3CU1zaSU?

8 years ago

Oh my God. That second game. Haha!