Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Writing Exercises Restart - Week Six

8 years ago

Week Six - This will thread will contain a week's worth of writing exercises to be completed each day. I'm going to award W.P. (writing points~) for completed assignments, and to give myself less math this time, it's 1 W.P. per regular assignment, 5 per bonus. If I make a super bonus assignment, I will tell you what it's worth individually. (Please bear in mind that I will not award points / will deduct points for incomplete / improperly completed assignments and I cannot award points past the days of the week in question. Thank you.)

You may do as many or as few as you please. Anyone is allowed to join up at any time, but please let me know in a PM if you want to be added to our tag list because only people on the tag list will be awarded points. Also, you may leave the exercises at any time. Please tell me if you wish to be removed, though. I will not remove you unless you request it.

Our goal here: Fun, encouragement of young and old writers, and self-improvement. :D

ONE IMPORTANT RULE: PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO ANY OTHER WRITER'S POST. I created a feedback thread, please use it: Link! My insistence on this is to ensure that other writers can edit as needed, and while it is possible to unlock posts, it's best not to create any more work for our admins / mods than necessary. Thank you for your cooperation. =) 

8 years ago

Monday! "What if?" week!

If you could have any super power in the world, what would you have and why? Write the power you'd want, explain it in detail, and tell us what you'd do with it. (I encourage you to show us something we haven't seen before / very often.) Bonus: Give your character a power or invent a character with a super power, explain it, explain their feelings on it, and how they use it / are affected by it in every day life.

8 years ago

@Will11 , @TheNewIAP , @Ogre11 , @Kwism1127 , @ecoLyte , @Beagle , @Ford , @betaband , @Claw2k11 , @SonicTurboTurtle , @DerpBacon , @Romulus , @galobtter , @Swiftstryker , @BenCrucifix , @31TeV , @MadHattersDaughter , @At_Your_Throat , @LeoScales7 , @Tim36D , @Jibble , @NightBirdBlue , @3173v3 , @Vampwolfie , @Spacecats , @Shinobi , @Morgan_R

8 years ago

Just want to do the exercise; no tagging list for me please. I'm just saying this now so there's no confusion. ^_^' 

Manipulation of luck, a power utilized subconsciously. When a particular outcome is needed above all others, which requires a vast amount of luck and little to no skill, then reality twists and shines in your favor. If you were to fall off of a rather high place - say, a 15 foot bridge to a highway beneath - that requires quite a bit of lucky to be able to remain unharmed in such a fall. Well, impossible to remain completely unharmed, but there would still be a possibility of falling in such a way that the only damage is a few rather large bruises and some small cuts. The outcome would be what was most needed, not necessarily desired. Perhaps it's only minor wounds tht you could get up and walk away from. Or it could be wounds serious enough to have to go to a place with a much better hospital, and while you're there, something big could have happened that would have killed you if you were to have gotten only minor wounds and gone home. When something if not needed, or if various outcomes are equal in terms of necessity, then regular luck determines what happens.

I'd use it as a sort of assurance that my family and I would  be alright. Need money to pay rent? A little gambling could fix that on a short notice (though, again, it would only supply what's needed; nothing more, nothing less. relying mostly on gambling would be a bad thing in case others caught on to what was happening, and then it's either you lose and make others satisfied that you aren't cheating but unable to get the money needed for something, or if you won, people may gang up and knock you down a notch or two for cheating), or a quick easy job that pays well could become available. 

Bonus;

Above, the starry night was clearly visible to the man sitting on a park bench on the outskirts of town. He was in his early twenties, lanky with a mere hint of muscle, and had rather short hair the color of silver. This was just a place he'd heard of where he could sit and clear his head before continuing his trip down to his parents house for Christmas. Down the road, a car seemed to be having troubles, shuddering and inching its way forward, until it finally came to a stop nearby. A beautiful woman stepped out of it, with a small, lithe build, long black hair, large glasses, and looking to be around 25. Opening the hood of the car, a plume of smoke sent her reeling backwards and coughing. Mournfully, she looked at the car, and then pulled out her cell phone. After a moment, she sighed and put it back into her pocket. Shyly, she approached the man on the bench. 

"Do you have a phone I can borrow? Mine's dead."

"Oh, yeah, sure." he replied, hastily pulling out a flip phone and handing it to her.

"Thank you, thank you so much."

She quickly walked out of his range of hearing, and looked more and more dejected as each minute of her conversation passed. Silently, she made her way back to the man and passed back his phone.

"What's wrong?"

"My friend, who was going to join me for the holidays, decided to stop at a bar a while age and is still drunk."

"Is there anyone else you can call?"

"Nope. Everyone else I know lives over six hours away."

"If you want, I could give you a ride."

She looked severely tempted to accept his offer. "How do I know you won't try anything on me?"

He fiddled with his phone for a moment, and then tossed it at her. "Nine-one-one is set for speed dial. Just press and hold the button one."

Surprised, she nearly dropped the phone. Then relief spread across her features and she whispered, "Thank you. You're a lifesaver." 

"No problem. I wouldn't want to leave a damsel in distress here in the dark and cold alone when I could do something to help, especially this close to Christmas. Here, follow me. My name's Pedro. What's yours? he said with a smile, getting up and walking towards it.

"Mirsole."

Many years later, they would be holding hands and sitting down, telling their kids of the pure luck of how they met, and how they kept meeting again and again without ever possibly knowing where the other would be.

8 years ago
Monday:

Superpower: Super-stretchy (like Stretch Armstrong). Oh, you might think that I’d use that power for the Great Good. No, actually, I’d just use it so I could sit around and be lazy. I’d totally get drinks from the fridge without getting up. If the battery on the remote breaks, there’s no getting up and heading into the other room to get batteries, no sir! And backseat drivers? Yeah, you haven’t seen a backseat driver like I would be. Maybe I’d help a cat stuck up in a tree, just for fun, too. Mostly I think I’d just do that thing where you tap people on the other shoulder so they don’t know who did it.

Bonus: Bill has a superpower that he doesn’t really understand: the ability to make it rain…a little. He can’t actually make it rain hard enough to flood anything, just a light misting. The temperature doesn’t change, games don’t get cancelled, it just rains a little. Bill isn’t really impressed with his power (but then who would be?). Because of his power, Bill doesn’t really like the rain. He often uses his power when people talk about how nice the weather is, so he can shut them up. Once he tried to tell someone of his power, but they really didn’t believe him, even when he tried to prove it. After all, a light rain isn’t all that uncommon, so he couldn’t convince them that he had actually caused it. Bill is considering how he can use his power to help a power company with some sort of competitive advantage over solar power companies…

8 years ago

Since you encouraged us to go for something obscure, I’ve decided to steal a super power from Misfits, and go with the ability to manipulate dairy products, also known as Lactokinesis. However, unlike the character in the show, I would use my power purely for good.

There isn’t a massive amount of use to be able to get out of this power, other than saving a few moments of effort by simply having the milk fly from the fridge to your cereal or tea. However, if there is a fire, I could attempt to fly any nearby milk in to put out the fire, although with limited effect if there isn’t much milk around. As it isn’t just milk, but any dairy product that can be used, I could make a flying carpet out of cheese, and fly around on it.

And of course my superhero name would have to be The Milk Man.

8 years ago
Imagination/Reality Modification: turning reality into something of the imagination or imagination back into reality. This opens up immense possibilities to the possessor of this power as anything he or she can imagine cold become real or vice versa. This allows them to create or destroy whatever it is they want. Real things may be transported to the imagination of the user and end up in their head rather than in front of them. This doesn't exactly mean they disappear, though, they are just transported into the mind. This super power blurs the line between imagination and reality, as the things imagined by the user may not be possible in the world today and defy some, if not all, of physics' laws. It is an ability used consciously, the user needs to think about whatever he wants to move or bend, and as they focus enough this action will happen.It requires a strong mind that does not drift off to other things as it can be very dangerous.

Some examples of this are unbeatable, immortal creatures appearing and even though the user can let these disappear into their minds again it might pose a threat to others. Other than that, as soon as this power grows stronger upon practice, the user is able to kill anything by just imagining it. He or she could think about the wrong person or regret it later - but the worst might be imagining the user due himself. This action is irreversible and all practicers of this act are thoroughly educated about this danger. After all, when you die, there's no one to bring you back.

8 years ago

Vampwolf Howl has the power of both wolf and vampire. She has retractable bat wings along with some very sharp teeth that support a tough bite. Vamp can also control beings mind with her blood red eyes-although she rarely does it. But in conclusion, Vamp posses both powers of the average vampire and wolf.

Bonus: Vamp ran through the forest, tears burning at the corners of her eyes. "Leave me alone, Max!" She growled, turning around with her eyes leaving a trail of red. Max smiled, "I understand you Vamp...just please listen-" Vamp howled, pouncing at the German Shepherd and breaking his neck with her jaw. And with that, she opened her wings and flew into the darkness.

8 years ago
My power is doubling. You can double the quantity of an object or objects up to 5 times, so you start off with 1 or 2 of something and you can double that 5 times so you could end up with 16 if you had 1, or 32 if you had 2 to begin with. Then, it takes a certain amount of time let’s say 30 minutes to recharge fully, however if you wait 6 minutes you can use it again once. You could use it on animals or humans as well. I’d use it to destroy the world, because meh, why not? I’ll edit with bonus later.

8 years ago

Gonna have to go with the powers from Prototype, given by a special strain of virus, which include:

• Regenerative abilities
  • Bullet resistance
  • Semi-super strength and speed
  • Gliding
  • Shield arm
  • Blade arms
  • Blade hands
  • Giant club fists
  • Steroid powers
  • Tendrils
  • Nigh-indestructable armor power
  • Absorb living things
  • Become said absorbed things

I would become a vigilante. Saving victims of the night (and day) from the forces of evil. And sometimes good.

#ChaoticNeutral

8 years ago

Tuesday!

Thinking outside of the box is a great means for an original story. Think of a "power" that--on the surface--might seem useless or harmless, but invent an application of it that would cause it to become very powerful, useful, or dangerous and explain it to us. (Alternatively, if you cannot think of one, you can give us mundane uses for traditionally very harmful powers.)

If you need an example for this power re-purposing: Sue Storm from The Fantastic Four is capable of making barriers. That is not a useless power, true, but it is also seen primarily as a defensive one--until she reveals that she can create a barrier inside of a human being and expand it until they explode. (My favorite joke application of this is "summoning puppies anywhere.") Bonus: Write a scene to show us your application in action.

8 years ago

@Will11 , @TheNewIAP , @Ogre11 , @Kwism1127 , @ecoLyte , @Beagle , @Ford , @betaband , @Claw2k11 , @SonicTurboTurtle , @DerpBacon , @Romulus , @galobtter , @Swiftstryker , @BenCrucifix , @31TeV , @MadHattersDaughter , @At_Your_Throat , @LeoScales7 , @Tim36D , @Jibble , @NightBirdBlue , @3173v3 , @Vampwolfie , @Spacecats , @Shinobi , @Morgan_R

8 years ago
Phil has the power to Put Things Outside The Box (What? I wasn't supposed to take the prompt literally?). What box? Well, any box. All he has to do is find something that is in a box and he can will it to be outside the box. Neat, huh? Where Phil has found this power to be quite powerful is when he gets to define what is a “box.” Since a safe has walls, that’s a box – and Phil can remove anything from a safe at any time. A building is also box-shaped, so he can remove anything, including anyone, from a building. Box canyons, box-shaped alleyway, streets, anything that can be remotely considered a box, Phil can remove someone or something from it. And when people are removed, they can be placed nearly anywhere outside the box…

Bonus: The Super-Duper Office Heroes stood in the hallway, looking out the windows along the side. Mr. Stapler said, “We have to do something. Look, that bank robber over there has taken a hostage! I could throw staples, but I’m afraid I’d accidentally hit the hostage!”

Ms. Perky replied, “I can make the fellow really happy, but I don’t think that’s going to stop him from shooting the hostage, he’ll just be happy about it.”

Phil stepped up and said, “Never fear, Outside the Box man is here!”

He looked down and said to himself, “Just a few more steps, yes, that’s it, step into that alley… yes, that’s a box!” He concentrated and suddenly the man with the gun completely disappeared. The hostage looked around, shrugged, then walked away.

Stapler man said, “Hey wait, where did he go?”

Phil replied, “Does it matter?”

Ms. Perky said, “Oh, I’m just so happy it is over! Does anyone want to get some coffee? It’s got extra sugar!”

8 years ago

Special power: the ability to make a random amount of ping pong balls appear in the surrounding air.

On the surface this might appear to be a somewhat useless superpower, and that’s because, well, it is. Unless you want to play a game of table tennis there isn’t a massive amount you can do with it. Even then, you get a random amount of balls, and could end up with an inconveniently large amount of them.

However, there is one potentially useful application of this power. If a villain is making a run for it, ping pong balls can be brought into existence just in front of them, causing them to slip and fall, so that they can then easily be caught by the good guys.

Bonus:

Ping Pong Man ran out into the street when he heard the commotion. He had heard a large crash, and when he exited his home he was astounded to see a large hole in the side of the local bank. Out of this hole stepped someone that made Ping Pong Man gasp. “Dr Shuttlecock!” he yelled in surprise. “My arch nemesis, you shall not get away this time!”

“Oh, but I will,” said Dr Shuttlecock. “For I have come up with a new escape method! Roller blades!” He wiggled his foot at him triumphantly.

Ping Pong man was about to come up with some witty remark when the sounds of police sirens filled the air. “Halt!” yelled a loud speaker. “You are under arrest!”

“Haha!” shouted Dr Shuttlecock happily. “You, Mr Policeman, are under a shuttlecock!” He waved a hand in the direction of the incoming police car, and an enormous shuttlecock suddenly appeared over it, trapping the police in its mesh. “And now, for my escape!” Dr Shuttlecock began to skate of, a large bag of cash held over his shoulder.

“Not if I have anything to do with it!” yelled Ping Pong Man. Willing ping pong balls into existence, he was overjoyed to see thousands of them appear above Dr Shuttlecock, burying him beneath them. “Yes! I have saved the day once again!”

8 years ago
Making food gone bad be edible again and vice versa. This is actually a pretty useful skill as the user is able to poison whoever he wants by instantly turning the food they're consuming stale, green, moldy or otherwise gross. But they can also make anything edible, which means there's never a good shortage and this is particularly handy in battle scenes where food resources are already rare. The user could also go through trash cans and drastically reduce the environmental and economical waste. This hero could not only be useful in battle, but also against waste and it would be pretty suitable as a villainous skill too.

Bonus:
"How are we going to take Fishfinger out? " he cried out. Fishfinger was a well known and feared villain, but there was a plan.
"We can also poison him! We know that he is too strong, and he is too tall for all of us, and athletic more so, but we, the Derpy Heroes, will save the world by poisoning Fishfinger! At least, that's the plan."
The group of anti-heroes all agreed. He was strong, but they would win thanks to Moldy Man. Or so they hoped. With that thought, they elaborated the plan, creating a map of the building he was located in. It wasn't easy as Fishfinger was good with disguises. One day he dressed up as a hot dog and almost got away with killing some of the residents of the city he continuously tortured. They didn't recognize him as Fishfinger, but his fishy smell gave him away and thanks to Super Nose they smelled him a mile away. Well, you didn't really need a super nose for that.

With the plan done they went to Fishfinger headquarters. Elasto-Blast's blast blasted them through the window. They had downloaded the YouAreHere App with the map of the building so they knew where the kitchen was.
"Moldy Man, do your job. "
They were lucky, dinner was just served in the headquarters. They ate a lot there, anyway. While Spiral and Blo -Jo distracted the chefs, Moldy Man grabbed the beef, focused.. And there it was, green, yucky, moldy and fuzzy. They quickly poured a sauce over it. Elasto smiled. "He will love this surprise.. "

8 years ago

Wednesday!

Think of something you consider essential for human society or human survival today. Invent a reality where that thing was suddenly taken away and show us the results of it. Bonus: Invent a reality where it never existed. How is it different from our own?

8 years ago

8 years ago
Random thoughts: Hey, let’s take away oxygen! No wait, that’s just silly. Everyone dies, the end. And the reality where it never existed? Yeah, we’re all fish. I know, fish use oxygen…stop it, I already threw out that option. Oh, I know, let’s go with the Internet! Yay. Well, that’s sort of boring, too. If it were taken away today, everyone would die and a reality where it didn’t exist would just be the old west… Hmm…

Essential item: The wheel. How is it taken away? Never mind, this is my story. Suddenly all knowledge of the wheel disappears. The wheels are still there, but no one understand them. Society? Well, we start dragging everything. Yes, everything.

“Hey Bob, what are those round things on that old car over there?”

“Them? I dunno. They sure are round. Now help me pull my sled to work, I’m gonna be late.”

Just imagine all the relics that would be all around: trucks, cars, bicycles, motorcycles, trains, etc. The shipping industry would prosper and I think cities that were near water would do well, but all you people living inland? Yeah, suckers!

Bonus:

Phil, the shipping magnate, said, “You know, there sure is a lot of that land space inland. There has got to be a way to use that.”
“Phil, I just don’t see how that can happen. Sure, we have run Internet cables to connect the coasts, but who has the time to carry stuff in and out of the interior? Who wants to do that?”
“We can ship anything anywhere. But we can’t access all that land. No one lives there but scrubs. What if we find a way to dig a canal across the country? Then we could have ships right through everywhere.”
“Phil, have you SEEN the mountains?”
“No. No I have not. I’m a shipper, remember?”
“Right. So anyway, we need to grease some skids for those government regulations, if you know what I mean…”

8 years ago

What I’m taking away: opposable thumbs. No idea how everyone on the planet could suddenly just lose their thumbs, but let’s say there was a global pandemic that caused everybody’s thumbs to fall off.

This would most likely have a big effect on the world, as it’s incredibly difficult to do anything without using your thumbs. Eating, driving, typing, pretty much anything you can think of that requires using your hands suddenly becomes ten times harder.

With people unable to do basic, everyday activities, the world would collapse into chaos.

Bonus:

By us never having thumbs, humanity would never have reached the stage where we could pick up rocks and bash them together. We would never have started using tools, and so would not have reached the level of intelligence we currently have. Most likely we’d still be at the stage where we communicate with “Ug ug!” and find mates by whacking them over the head and dragging them back to our cave.

It’s possible that a species with similar intelligence to humans would have evolved in our place, and the world could instead be populated by elephant people or something. Or there might be no intelligent life forms, and wild animals roam the world in peace.

8 years ago
Super late post, sorry.
I'm taking away.. The social aspect of humanity! What ifnnobody was ever able to communicate to another human being anymore? This would definitely throw us back to stupidity.. If we weren't stupid already. I can imagine confusion everywhere, since, well, we would all become separate beings rather than social creatures. For some this might mean the end- FOMO would take its toll - but also literally. Doctors won't be able to help the sick, the rich won't be able to spend money on the poor, in fact, the money system together with all other systems will deteriorate. After all, you don't need money when you're all on your own. Mankind will completely lose the ability to empathize with another: every man for himself. This might lead to cannibalism or other practices we've banished ages ago.

Bonus:
"We" would never exist. There is no we, just I and me. That I has to be very developed in order to survive. After all, you have to do everything by yourself. You can't rely on doctors, farmers or hunters. All the knowledge you have has to come from yourself. Reproducing is nearly impossible which is why mankind is in fact dying out. How are you supposed to hump a lady while she does not even get to tell you if she wants that or to hit you over the head with a baseball bat? How do you even hump a lady? Observation is a skill well used and this way the current population has found a new way to communicate (only the direct means of communication have been taken away). It is a world of confusion and definitely also pain.

8 years ago

Thursday!

What if magic was real, well-known, and existed in every day life? Show us a character getting up and starting their day in a world like that. Bonus: Now cause all magic to cease working in that world. Does society as they know it completely collapse or is it a mere inconvenience?

8 years ago

@Will11 , @TheNewIAP , @Ogre11 , @Kwism1127 , @ecoLyte , @Beagle , @Ford , @betaband , @Claw2k11 , @SonicTurboTurtle , @DerpBacon , @Romulus , @galobtter , @Swiftstryker , @BenCrucifix , @31TeV , @MadHattersDaughter , @At_Your_Throat , @LeoScales7 , @Tim36D , @Jibble , @NightBirdBlue , @3173v3 , @Vampwolfie , @Spacecats , @Shinobi , @Morgan_R , @TacocaT

8 years ago

"Wake-y wake-y, eggs and bac-y!" a womans' voice called from the floor below. Ralf moaned and turned over, using his pillow to muffle the sounds. "Get up, get up, it's morning! It's time to rise and shine~!" the same voice called, a bit louder and not at all muffled despite his attempts. 

He concentrated for a moment, grasping the power, and imagining threads of air and spirit coming together and forming a pattern that would carry his voice down to his mother, too tired to actually get up and talk to her in person. "Why are you waking me up so early? It's Saturday." he whined, adding in a groaning sound at the end.

Footsteps sounded on the stairway, and Ralf snuggled into his blankets further, holding the edges tight. A blast of air sent him hovering a few feet above the bed and chilled to the bone. Well, no use trying to go to back to sleep now. Just as suddenly, the blast stopped, and he fell, landing hard enough on the bed below to bounce a couple times.

"Fine, fine. I'm getting up. Sheesh." he mumbled, slowly getting himself out of bed. 

8 years ago
Julie woke up and looked at the ceiling. It was yellow today, and she decided she didn’t like yellow. She blinked and the ceiling changed to blue. She smiled as she sat up and looked around. She looked down at her belly and saw there was some fat accumulation from last night. With a wave of her hand it disappeared and her body was back the way she wanted it. Another wave and her black hair was neatly styled and perfect in every way.

She made her way to her feet and looked into her closet. She picked out an outfit and it appeared on her, freshly cleaned and pressed. As she walked down the stairs to head off to school, a cinnamon bun appeared in her hand. She chomped it down as she walked out the door. She blinked and she was at the school, ready for classes.

Bonus:

Julie blinked to travel to school and nothing happened. She was confused because she had been magicing herself to school for years, and it always worked. She looked up and down the street and saw a number of kids standing around as well. She blinked again and still nothing happened. She turned and walked inside and called out, “Mom? What’s going on?”

There was no answer to her call. She waved her hand and still nothing happened. She said out loud, “What in the world is going on?” She tried to summon a Mountain Dew, but nothing happened. She sat down on the ground with no idea what to do next. When she got hungry, she tried to summon a burger, but still nothing happened. She started crying, but no one could hear her…

8 years ago
This got longer than I ever planned to make it, heh.

James woke up with a start. He had been having such a weird dream about a world where there was no magic. He thought it was simply barbaric that those people used those boxes on 4 wheels, cars they called them, to get around. Teleporters worked just fine, thank you very much! He stood up and walked over to his dresser full of runestones, each with a different purpose.

Runes were an ancient invention; the ancient magical folk had discovered them. The runic language was the language of which magic operated upon. There were different symbols, and each one had a different meaning. Just about everything had some sort of place where runes were, to handle the internal functions of the device. Teleporters had a compartment in the back which was fused shut with another rune where runes were carved. The earth’s core actually had a supply of magic which kept the planet functioning, as it were. Every time a rune was activated, it took power from the core to do the task it was supposed to do. The trouble with that was that Earth also needed that magic. It was calculated that the planet would fully die within a thousand years, but no one really cared. Just like no one really cared about polluting the air in the dream James had. What similarities the two worlds had, but also what differences. It was strange.

James pulled a square device, something that looked strangely like a muffin tin but with square indents instead of circles out of his dresser along with several runestones. He placed the runestones inside the indents and then closed it. He placed it upon his chest and pressed another rune on the top of it. With a poof, he was dressed, his hair was combed immaculately, and his teeth were white and gleaming. His breath even smelled nice.

He opened up a panel on the wall of his bedroom, which had several runes with words below them behind it. They were called teleporter runes, and none of the rooms in the house had any other way to get out. You had to use them. You could get to any location instantly from any other location within the house with them. He pressed one with the word “kitchen” below it.

With a poof, He was in the kitchen. Looking around, he saw the usual kitchen that didn’t look any different than the last 200 times he’d seen it. There was a device in the shape of a box with many runes on its surface called a cooker which did exactly what it sounded like, along with a table with 4 chairs around it. His mother was there, putting various things inside the cooker. She shut the door and pressed a rune on the top, which was the same rune as the one on the lid of the muffin tin, the rune that signified coming together.

Most magical devices worked in similar ways. All the runestones were in a compartment or they were carved with a cover over them to conceal them, and there was a rune somewhere on the device which you would tap to get the device to work. The rune was usually the rune of coming together, because all the runestones would come together to complete a task. It was similar to turning on a stove, it would complete a certain task, in this case cook something. There could also be other runes on the top of the device to change certain settings, like with the cooker, the degrees to cook the food at.

James flopped down in one of the chairs surrounding the table. “What’re we having?”

“Baken and eggs,” his mother opened the door of the cooker again and pulled out the baken and eggs. She gave him large helpings of both. He wasn’t fond of eggs but he loved baken, so he started stuffing his face.

When he was finished, he went outside and hopped into his personal teleporter. He stood in the device and pressed several roons on the board in front of him. There was a poof, and he was gone. He pulled open the door of the device and stepped out, now in front of his school. He then proceeded to live out his life normally.
Bonus:
James pulled a square device, something that looked strangely like a muffin tin but with square indents instead of circles out of his dresser along with several runestones. He placed the runestones inside the indents and then closed it. He placed it upon his chest and pressed another rune on the top of it. Nothing happened. He looked confused. He walked over to a panel in the wall and opened it up, he pressed a rune on it labeled “Kitchen”. Again, nothing happened. His eyes widened with panic. The teleporter runes were the only way to travel from room to room! He wheeled around and looked through his window. His worst fears were confirmed as he saw a growing black spot. Without magic to hold the planet together it was deconstructing! James just stood there, gaping, until he was swallowed up by the blackness.
In case you couldn’t tell, in the bonus the planet was destroyed because magic stopped existing. The planet was dependant on magic as much as the people so no magic equals no Earth. I wanted to create something different than the tipical magic thing.

8 years ago

Geraldine slowly sat up on her bed and willed an orb of light into existence near the ceiling. Climbing out of bed, she pictured what she wanted to wear today and the clothes were there on her body. She then headed downstairs for breakfast, her hair brushing itself on the way.

Once she was there she set the stove alight with a quick gesture, allowing the orb to fade away now that the fire lit the room. That was the problem with being a magitrain driver; the early starts often meant that she had to be up before the sun.

Fetching a slice of bacon from the freezer she then hovered it over the flames to cook. By the time it was finished she had finished buttering some bread and had herself a delicious bacon sandwich. Breakfast finished she extinguished the fire and stepped out into the street. She didn’t need to will an orb into existence outside as there were public light orbs that council workers kept alight all night.

Grabbing her broomstick from the garage, she then flew off to work.

Bonus:

Geraldine slowly sat up on her bed and willed an orb of light into existence near the ceiling. The room stayed dark. She willed an orb into existence again. The room stayed dark again.

Slightly worried, she waved it away as it being down to her grogginess. She probably wasn’t awake properly is all. Standing up she pictured what clothes she wanted to wear, and then got even more worried when they didn’t appear on her body.

Now properly scared, she tried to mind speak with her sister who lived the other side of town. Nothing.

Hurrying over to the window, she pushed open the shutters and was terrified to see there were no light orbs anywhere. Could all magic really be gone? How would she survive without it?

8 years ago

Friday!

What if mankind was not the dominant species on earth, either by an outside source's interference or by another species rising up to take control? What would that world look like and where would that leave us? Bonus: Invent a character from that world and show us a scene from their life.

8 years ago

@Will11 , @TheNewIAP , @Ogre11 , @Kwism1127 , @ecoLyte , @Beagle , @Ford , @betaband , @Claw2k11 , @SonicTurboTurtle , @DerpBacon , @Romulus , @galobtter , @Swiftstryker , @BenCrucifix , @31TeV , @MadHattersDaughter , @At_Your_Throat , @LeoScales7 , @Tim36D , @Jibble , @NightBirdBlue , @3173v3 , @Vampwolfie , @Spacecats , @Shinobi , @Morgan_R , @TacocaT

8 years ago

Using the alternative world from my previous post, the elephant people can be the dominant species.

Their trunks have evolved to fill the same role as our arms do. However, since they only have the one trunk they usually have to work together to complete even simple tasks. This has made them a much more cooperative/ sociable species.

There are fewer wars, less poverty, they don’t have houses the same as ours so everything is a lot more public, and people keep fewer secrets from each other.

Bonus:

Elmer trotted happily into his family field, where he was surprised to see his mother cowering behind a tree. “What’s the matter?” he called out to her. “You look like you’ve seen a mouse!”

His mother jumped at the sound of his voice, startled by what he said. “I did!” she called back to him.

Elmer stopped in his tracks, suddenly terrified. “But… but how did a mouse get here!” He glanced around the field, terrified that the mouse might suddenly appear out of the grass.

“It was your father,” said his mother. “He and Horton caught it in a cage in the woods, but they got so excited showing off about it that they dropped it. Now it could be anywhere!”

“Wh- where’s dad now?” asked Elmer. He slowly began to inch his way towards his mother.

“He’s gone off to find the mice hunters. They should be here in no time. For now we’ll just have to wait here and hope we don’t see it. I nearly had a heart attack when it ran between my forelegs.”

Elmer finally reached his mother, and felt slightly safer being near her. But then he heard a small squeak from behind him...

8 years ago

Your sixth week scores are as follows:

@TacocaT - 7
@Ogre11 - 24
@BenCrucifix - 25!
@3173v3 - 13
@Vampwolfie - 6
@Tim36D - 1
@igulat - Great to see your entries, they were splendid. I did not receive a PM from you, though, if I'm not mistaken... did you want to be added?

Congratulations to BenCrucifix for consistently taking us on a trip through a realm of possibilities. Congratulations to everyone else on your participation. It's always wonderful to see you all practicing your skills and exercising your wonderful imaginations. 

Thanks again to 3J for awarding points and giving us a place to track them: Link