Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Minecraft storymode SPOILERS!

8 years ago

As some of you may know, telltale has been making a game called minecraft storymode. I thought it would be cool to have my little sister play it, since she loves minecraft. But by the end of episode four, I knew it was a mistake. Im of course not going to explain the whole story, but the reason I regret my decision is because Reuben, your pet pig, meets his demise in this episode. It was a very emotional moment where the protagonist is on his knees saying goodbye to him. Me and my sister were both very attached to him by this point and I knew it would be a different experience for her compared to the rest of the game's fun and comedic tone.

When the moment was occuring, I saw her looking away from the iPad screen. when she turned back I saw her eyes were watery. In the back of my mind I was saying: "Fuck you telltale, fuck you telltale..."

I kinda feel like an asshole for making her go through that, and I still feel pretty emotional about the death. What do you guys think? Is this good for her? Is it cruel?

RIP Reuben. <3

8 years ago

@Kiel_Farren, @BradinDvorak, @TacocaT

8 years ago

Yes. Stories have always included tragedy; stories in games can and should do this. I very much doubt that you have traumatized her. Death is a part of life; we deal with this by telling stories that include death.

...tempted to play it with the five-year-old I live with, actually. How long is it? Is it otherwise cool?

8 years ago

It's actually a really cool game. Even though parts of episode 1 and 2 can be a bit cringe-worthy, it is still a great adventure with story-changing decisions. (Which telltale hasn't ever done before) Just beware episode two is kind of shit because it is stupidly short due to a game-changing decision in ep.1.

8 years ago

I agree. I wasn't really feelin' it the first two episodes, but by three it got better. As for length, a rough total for the first three episodes is about four hours, and they've also been timelier than usual in their releases.

8 years ago

Oh, so it was released early on iOS? Anyway, it isn't like death is foreign to the series. Ellegaard/Magnus died last ep., right? Telltale loves that kind of stuff.

8 years ago

Yeah, well she didn't really care for M***** since she didn't choose to go to Boomtown in ep.2. In her play through with her decisions, his character was kinda undeveloped. The director of episode 2 kinda fucked that one up.

8 years ago

Seeing, understanding, and accepting the reality of tragedies are all part of being human and becoming a mature, capable adult. No matter where you go or what you do in life, you will see things happen that are sad, upsetting, and more importantly, unchangeable. It's not a pleasant lesson, but it's a very important one.

I sometimes wish that other people could experience what I did, back when I worked in nursing homes / assisted with hospice care. You get ... very well acquainted with death in many ways and under many circumstances. Not going to lie, some of it shook me up a little, but I learned a lot. I feel better prepared to deal with the inevitable, be it my own, or that of my loved ones. The act of saying goodbye isn't going to hurt less, obviously, but there's something to be said for learning what it is to accept tragedy and to find the good in it.

Also, hearts ... are kind of like broken bones, you know? It's true that if they get really screwed up, it's very hard--rarely, even impossible--to mend them, but sometimes breaking is necessary because when they heal, they're stronger than before. I will add, though, that this was just a game. I know childhood blurs the lines between reality and fantasy, but even so, it shouldn't have any big effect on her. In short: this is normal and she'll be okay.

8 years ago

I know she'll be okay. It's just that I wanted to have a little joyfull experience with her which ended up being really sad and depressing.

Only telltale can make a pig's death a fucking tear-fest!!!

Also, is it sad to say that a pig's death in Minecraft was more sad to me than Lee's in TWD season 1?

8 years ago

Well ... I'll say this, laughter and tears are actually pretty closely related, and they're both good to experience from time to time.

8 years ago
Understanding tragedy is a necessary part of life and to make a good story, sometimes you have to let a character die. It makes it all the more real when a story is able to relate back to the audience.

It'll be a good experience for your sister, and I'm sure she doesn't think of it as you being a cruel older brother. Rather, I think she'll appreciate what this game is trying to say with Reuben's death. I know that as a child, I didn't have as much of a grasp on character deaths as I do now, but I still understood what they meant and it made a better story and a better experience. That is to say, I feel like your sister will understand the gravity of the death and be able to appreciate it. Children are intelligent and she won't shallowly think of you as a cruel older brother.

Still, Telltale is known to have some pretty emotional stuff. You should've known there would have been some kind of character death.

8 years ago

Eh, it's an alright game. I don't really like it, but I can see why people do. It strikes me with a level of stupidity on par with all those minecraft storybooks you see in Wal-Mart, but that's my opinion. Plus, I like bacon more than I liked Reuben.

8 years ago

Do you guys have MC on PC?

8 years ago

Reuben is a funny name for a pig. 

8 years ago

Malkalak is a funny name for a Guinea pig.

8 years ago

That is clearly a rare, short-eared rabbit.

8 years ago

Looks more like a duck with no beak to me...

8 years ago

Nah, that's a giant ass hamster for sure.

8 years ago

Platypus! ;D

8 years ago

Some people consider Platypuses to be proof of evolution; no perfect creator would ever create one of those monsters. :P

8 years ago

Keep telling everyone, he's a giant miniature space hamster.

8 years ago

I'm a proud giant miniature space hamster and I don't need no man. 

8 years ago

Well, got the game yesterday, Haven't gotten that far (just got to The End this morning, been too busy playing Undertale to move forward), but it's looking to be a good game... And it was hard losing Lee again ;( (in case you don't get it, Gabriel and Lee from TWD had the same voice actors)

8 years ago

Yeah, I almost wanted to save him because of that. But I knew Saving Petra was the choice my character would make.

8 years ago

At least you could play past the part where Olivia and Axel ask you who to look for first... My game froze at that point, and the two times I've restarted since have always had the same result.