Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

No Man’s Sky

7 years ago

So did anyone get this incredibly overhyped game?

Going by the reviews people are calling it the greatest exploration game EVAR to a boring “Loneliness Simulator."

Personally I thought it looked interesting (Vaguely reminds me of a much more advanced version of Out There), but it also didn’t look like there was much to do.

No Man’s Sky

7 years ago
No Man's Sky is cool.
I've been trying to get the center...which is...surprisingly hard xD
Also, my friend thinks they may be on the same planet as me so we've been trying to find each other xD

I haven't been playing it long, so I can't really give very good feedback on it, but so far I'm actually really liking it ^-^

No Man’s Sky

7 years ago

Eh, it was okay. Not 50+ fucking dollars okay, but it's fun. If you want to explore, there's plenty of roguelikes and survival games that are way more fun/interesting, but I guess the virtue of this game is that, since survival-exploration gets boring once you know the environment, in the space game, you never tend to stick around long enough to truly get to know all the planets, and more and more different shit will be added overtime.

I'd wait until the price goes down, as usual, but the trouble with this is that you'll likely be the only one playing at that point, or there'll have been the inevitable server shutdown that always happens with online games.

No Man’s Sky

7 years ago

It's pretty much a single player game anyway, isn't it?

No Man’s Sky

7 years ago

I'd assume so, but I guess the problem with no one playing this is that it'll no longer be a point of conversation. You can name everything wittily, but nobody's ever going to find that planet unless it's near the center of the universe, which by then will probably be mostly discovered. Since mentioning it is probably going to become the new 'Cake is a Lie' reference, the exploration won't have the same satisfaction to it.

No Man’s Sky

7 years ago

What's it about? My parents just got it for me, but I don't know what it really is.

No Man’s Sky

7 years ago

It's a procedurally generated space exploration game that boasts 18 quintillion planets. You can traverse these planets, discovering organisms or gathering resources, and use those resources or money you've earned to upgrade your gear. The goal as defined by the story, if you want to follow it, is to get to the center of the universe.

To me, it's almost like "Minecraft meets Spore"... but I'm pretty sure there are better comparisons than that.

No Man’s Sky

7 years ago

I've been keeping an eye on it because I like laid back chill out and relax type games, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it once I do get it, but somewhere in the area $20 is pretty much my limit for most games. I'd have to read some overwhelmingly positive reviews and hear a lot of people gushing to even consider paying what they're asking.  

Maybe in a year or so I'll grab it in a Steam sale.

No Man’s Sky

7 years ago

I'm with Mizal on this one haha - not to mention I've got 2c on my Steam and the Aus dollar is still pretty bad rn.

No Man’s Sky

7 years ago

I think the accepted way to buy digital games when you live in Australia is to convert however much to Paypal and then send it to someone in the US to buy and gift you whatever you were wanting. I know on bigger forums like Something Awful there's always a lot of requests popping up in the Steam megathread during Summer and Christmas sales.

No Man’s Sky

7 years ago

It's not especially relaxing, at least, not anymore than most survival games without enemies. You get attacked by bandits and all kinds of shit, and thete's asshole environment cops who shoot at you for playing the game too much. If you want a relaxing experience, give mine craft a pretty texture pack, this game isn't especially meditative, or if it is, your meditations are prone to being harshly interrupted by assholes with lasers.

No Man’s Sky

7 years ago
I'll get it when it's not $60 and more of a game than an overhyped alpha release xD

No Man’s Sky

7 years ago

Still sounds like a complex version of the Indy survival game "Out There."

In that game, you're completely alone and you're trying to reach a specific part of the map. You have to keep mining different planets for resources to survive. You can encounter different aliens and get stuff from them. There is the occasional space port you can dock at, different ships you can get, upgrade your tech and black holes that will lead to short cuts to your destination.

The main differences sound like Out There has more choices, has multiple endings and is a hell of a lot cheaper. (And despite the lack of environmental robot fanatics, it's still harder to survive)

No Man’s Sky

7 years ago

No Man's Sky? More like... No Guy Buy! 

No Man’s Sky

7 years ago

Basically Starbound at triple the cost and a third of the level of interaction (not counting the modability that SB has), from what I've seen.  Progression feels more like getting shit to do the same shit for longer without much shit changing other than getting more capacity to do the same shit you've done from the start.

Considering the fact that the upgrading aspect is just another number vs. number game (damage numbers against opponent x, increased timers to remain on planet y for longer, number of the amount of shit you can take after mugging faction / territory z) it pales in comparison to other sci-fi's, including the underwhelming Star Citizen.. In SC, getting larger ships allowed you to become a trader, while getting other smaller ships made you decent at PKing or running as security.  These changed your style of play, each with its own intricacies and so on.  In SB, new tech meant you could explore places you could never before, which in turn opened up to different mechanics of the game, like building, combat, or trying to master the redstone equivalent.  You had different styles of play, each with their own little intricacies.

Hell, even Warframe had some level of intricacy even though 100% of the mechanics were dedicated to you killing more for longer.  Companions automated shit for you to do, pubescent psychic children could help you bypass shit that would normally cripple your happy time, and the time in space you were allowed to go into could be spent racing through a level like a ping-pong ball in the most violent game of space-connect-the-dots.  Or be a tie-fighter (two entirely different experiences, though both will make you vomit from the lack of any reference as to what is up or down)

At it's core, the game (NMS) is more or less meant to be played at its most basic form : exploration and little hikes.  Evidently, there isn't much else to do, and every advance you make in the game is just for furthering that purpose.

Point is to be Tom Cruise in Cloud Atlas.