Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Hey, does anybody here watch some Rick and Morty? That show is absolutely the best thing to ever happen to adult cartoons (and no, I'm NOT talking about Hentai) since Family Guy. It's FINALLY coming back July 30 with some new episodes, since it's 2 year relapse after Season 2 in 2015.

Anyways, if anybody here does watch it, what's your favorite episode? My personal favorite was the episode where the parasites infected the house and created false family memories. That one was really fun and thought out.

And one more thing, does anybody have any reccomendations for shows that are similiar to Rick and Morty? I love it, but there simply isn't enough of it.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Eh, I should've expected the users of a writing site wouldn't like a TV show with amazing writing... smh...

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
You lack patience. I love the show, it's the best Western animation that's for smart AND dumb people since the original Simpsons series/Futurama. Not sure I can pick a favorite in the episodes given the variety and quality across the board, but the Unity and marriage counselling ones were fun. For a more gritty Western Animation, I'd recommend Bojack Horseman (season one is trash and I literally skipped to Season 2 after watching the pilot, but Season 2 and 3 deliver fantastically).

Also, who are you kidding here, creative folks love creative content in any form (books, movies, anime, tv shows, Indonesian shadow puppets, or what have you), it's pretty naive of you to assume that they won't have diverse interests in media.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Eh, Season One's alright, Season Two's spectacular, Season Three's a step down.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
Agreed, Season three's coming out in a few days, right?

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Season three's been out for ages, Season Four's out September 8.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
Wikipedia does not agree. Looks like we'll be getting the remaining episodes start the end of this month.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Oh, was talking about Bojack Horseman. Which, seeing as I already said Season 3 was a step down which would mean I've seen it, should've been fairly obvious, as well as the fact it was in response to you talking about Season 1, 2 and 3 of Bojack Horseman and no other show, and I responded to you, rather than the entire thread which as a whole was about Rick and Morty.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
Ah, my bad. Great to hear Bojack's getting new content, looks like it's a good year ahead

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

I began watching Bojack Horseman thanks to the reccomendation, and it's pretty enjoyable. I started at season 1 and was immediately hooked, so thank you for that.

But it pales in comparison to how amazing Rick and Morty is...

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
stryker is right. some threads take years to get a reply - patience is necessary.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Time to get schwifty!

It's hard to chose a favorite Rick and Morty episode as they are all just fantastic, everyone of them. But if I had to pick, it's the episode with the Citadel of Ricks. Still want to find out what happened to the evil Morty.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

I'm sure the evil Morty will make his return sometime in Season 3 (hopefully).

Didn't the Citadel of Ricks get like, murdered? That came across to me as wasted potential, but maybe I'm just trippin. Like, so many unique Ricks and Morty's to explore, wasted.

Oh, well.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Rick and Morty is okay. Just okay. Its super formulaic and relies on the same kind of joke every episode.  Something vulgar happens, Rick does something gross and cynical, it ends with a Touching Family Moment™, roll credits. 

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

I strongly disagree with you, you won't find another TV show as unique as it is. No two episodes are alike, other than the fact that, what, they have two plots that they revolve between? I believe you wrote that response just to be cynical.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Yes, because seeing the patterns in people's humor never makes anyone tired of it at all, and anyone who sees those patterns is just trying to be an edgelord. That's why Mike Meyers still dominates all TV comedy from thw 90s to this very day every SNL host had to try so hard to replace him because everything he does is always new, defies patterns, and is objectively good, and nobody can ever dislike or see any flaws in shit like this.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Okay, so I see your point about the repetitive nature of the humor of the characters, what with Rick always burping and repeating himself, and Morty's less than average intelligence... but there is a variety of it throughout the show, it's not like they do the same stupid shit over and over again.

It's called PERSONALITY, and CHARACTER. Something that most TV shows struggle with, ending in bland and unoriginal content.

And what, you act like Family Guy still doesn't garner millions of views each season?

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

I actually like Rick's burping and repeating himself, and the show in general. The fact of the matter is though that it does tend to follow a pattern of ridiculous shit happening, and then either an existential question or a questioning of how genuine Rick is as a person. That hasn't gotten tired for me because it feels like they do something different every time, but if that's not your bag it's not your bag and I can't really blame Mall for it.

And Jesus Christ don't get me started on everything that's wrong with Family Guy. The only reason it's been un-cancelled is because it's become the basic show for basic viewers and people are free to record the 50 or so episodes that are actually funny whenever they're on.

It's the same reason that the Simpson's are on: it's old, and they have fans who hang onto the glory days hoping that once-or-twice-a-season event occurs that's consistently funny all the way through, or it's just the thing to watch for people who come home in the afternoon or on weekends and their kids think it's the edgy adult thing to do.

The storytelling is eclectic and schizophrenic, the characters are all retards and/or sociopaths, the humor is always dumb and/or just trying to provoke people, blindly clinging to pop culture rather than trying to survive on its own merits just because it'll draw people's attention, Brian became a Mary Sue that distorts reality just because, and in general it burned out after the first season and became the AIDS it is today.

It's the clickbait of Cartoons, the only thing it did was be pleasant and edgier than The Simpsons long after the Simpsons started to suck, and brought cutaway gags to American audiences. Then it rested on its laurels and became whatever stuck to the wall when writers threw their shit at it. I'll admit there's sometimes an episode that reminds me why I liked Family Guy in the first place, but those are few and far between, and they're getting further apart with each passing season. Family guy is a bad thing. It was never a particularly good or innovative thing to happen to cartoons, and it's sunken to such an abhorrent state of sub-mediocrity that I loathe to acknowledge it's accomplishments. The fact that you mentioned it in the same breath as Rick and Morty in the OP made me literally laugh, and now that I know you're being serious I'm actually kind of worried.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Okay, let me get this straight.? Nowhere did I state I liked Family Guy anywhere close to as much as I liked Rick and Morty. I was replying to your comment about the same comedy personalities getting old and out of date, and I brought up Family Guy to prove that sometimes, they can keep the same retarded feel that still entices viewers to this day.?

Nonetheless, I still like Family Guy. But yeah, most of your points struck home with the way I currently feel about Family Guy, but in a way, it's therapeutic, like when I hear the opening sequence I relax a little bit more. It's something to watch that comes on pretty regularly and I still find entertaining, and isn't as close to a snoozefest that the Simpsons has evolved to. When Brian died, I was glued to the screen wanting to see how that story was going to evolve.

Still, I find American Dad a little bit more entertaining, it's a little bit smarter, more whacky, less retarded. Seth Macfarlane can still bring the laughs, no matter how few and far between they are (look at Ted! I loved that frickin movie! The second one was a disapointment... but, let's not derail here.).

I disagree with Mall's points because his points don't have any substance as an argument. Like, where the hell are the heart warming family moments? What the fuck is he talking about with the same kind of joke, than the typical personalities that bleed through with it's characters?

But personally, the real reason why I feel like I enjoy Rick and Morty so much, and there are so many reasons, is the way the continuity works. Look at how much Morty was effected by the episode that completely ruined his timeline, and him and Rick had to abandon their original one entirely, which led to them burying themselves. Or how Morty changed after the Purge world, where he threw the grandpa down the stairs and went on a killing spree, which comes through in the season premiere, where he shot Rick in the Council of Ricks, thinking he was actually going to kill him (thank god it was a decoy gun).

I want shows with not only funny jokes, but also entertaining stories and a rich world. And I feel like only Rick and Morty delivers on that front.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
I agree.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

But MAAALK it explores themes of Nihilism vs. Nietcheism in a quaint and intellectually accessible way! It's a philosophical masterpiece and stuff!

But yeah. Since I don't have cable it's always a treat to watch when I do get to do it, but after the first season or so you start to notice the tropes. Beyond the interesting visuals, and in-jokes, I could definitely see it becoming a sort of same-ey slog if you see a bunch of episodes in a row.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Except I binged watched it, and I loved every second of it, except for a few episodes that seem to have been over done (read: the episode that they venture into a human body, and even that was hilarious with all the diseases in a homeless person and Morty getting laid, and Rick taking that away.)

So, even in the episodes I didn't like as much, there are plenty of redeeming qualities.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

I question whether you watch the show, as the show is far more than vulgarity, and definitely far from touching family moment, unless you count "Parents get divorced", "Mother drinks after she shoots family friend", "Rick and Morty bury their own corpses as they realize how death stands over them all" or that sort of thing. Also, not formulaic and the jokes vary greatly. In fact, you're an idiot, go back to watching trite like Logan and the Wolverine.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Yeah, it's just edginess for the sake of edginess. Don't be such a triggered faggot. It's not that great. 

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Pffh, only dumbasses who can't recognize when something is actually pushing boundaries for interesting and insightful reasons would thick it's edgy for edgy sake. But you know, even if it was edgy for edgy's sake I'm glad it doesn't end with a tocuhing family moment, so you're just talking out of your ass. Well done.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

I just want you to actually criticize the show intelligently, instead of criticizing it for something that isn't even in the show.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Anyway, if you want shows similar to Rick and Morty, I have a few off the top of my head to offer.

Dr. Who: if you like old guys dragging otherwise innocent bystanders through dangerous sci-fi situations, this is your show. The guy producing the new stuff is the same guy behind several other self-indulgent bullshit-fests like Sherlock, so I wouldn't trust it for quality consistency, and it's so huge as a series that hearing fans offer their points as to which bunch of seasons is best and which episode is the best starting point can only really be made in broad, sweeping statements and end up sounding just as generalized and abstract as debating which D&D system is the best one to use. That's not really the way to watch Dr. Who, though. Just tune in at some point, read the cliff notes of past episodes if it's in the middle of a story arc, and pop some corn for sci-fi weirdness.

There's a collection of sci-fi indie films from the seventies called "Sci-fi Invasion". That's sort of the sci-fi pool that Rick and Morty draws from, and while I definitely haven'haven't made it through all 280 something movies, I'm sure there's plenty of goofy 70s cheese to make it an enjoyable watch every once in a while.

Riki Oh, Story of Ricky: I honestly just wanted to suggest this movie in public. It's a hilarious corny Sci-fi thing made by storytellers who, like Rick and Morty, don't exactly give a shit about making sense or consistency. It also has that lovely feel that you get from a lot of Chinese cinema where you can't tell whether the movie was made seriously or not. Like most Chinese movies, the dialogue is funnier in the subtitles than it is in the dub, but if that's distracting there's a perfectly servicable dub that stays almost faithful to the subtitles in some of the more laughable lines, but the only thing it really has on the subtitles is a guy in the bathroom singing Satisfaction.

Harmonquest: It's like a Web show with similar humor where the guys who did Rick and Morty do D&D.

Space Dandy: It's like Johnny Bravo in space. Well, in space more often than Johnny usually is. Similar whackass multiverse, a little less cynical than R&M is, but it's still funny and a bit less formulaic.

Cowboy Bebop: A lot more grounded than anything previously mentioned, but it's a damn interesting space show with plenty of funny moments scattered throughout.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

I don't really remember any major scifi elements in Riki Oh, other than the warden turning into a giant monster at one point.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

It's one of those 80s-90s things that takes place in some vague near-future where everything is made of concrete blocks and the government is all dystopian. And the warden's Kim-Jong-looking stand-in has a robot hook hand and  a robo-eye.

In the Manga it's based on, I think there's some undertones implying that the Block Leader dudes are genetically modified or something to be superhuman, but in Riki Oh they're just insane and nothing more needs to be said.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Out of the collection of recommendations that you've provided for me, I think I'm most interested in Harmonquest and Space Dandy, so I'll definitely check those out. Thanks.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
The new season has been pretty hit and miss till now. The Mad Max episode, the Vindicators episode, and now the latest Citadel episode have been pretty nice, with the latter arguably being the highlight of the season till now, the rest honestly felt underwhelming.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

I only just started watching a few random episodes of this show. So far the ones I’ve seen are pretty funny, though I’m guessing they’re from the first and second seasons.

The only third season one I saw was the one that immediately took place after the season season cliff hanger.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
The first season was fresh, for lack of a better word, combining smart concepts with spunky comedy and a certain playful irreverence. The second season significantly amped up the quality, even if the execution is just 'two things happen at the same time to different groups, switching threads so you don't get bored.' The second season did a better job of building on its fundamentals and had more confidence in itself than the first, so it was a notable improvement. The third has honestly flip-flopped in quality a lot, seemingly unable to resolve the defining 'feature' of the season (spoiler: Morty's parents getting separated). When it's not trying to awkwardly look around that story point, it still is smart science-fiction/humor, and episodes that are removed from that annoying theme are stronger for it. Looking forward to the last three episodes of the season, just as BoJack Horseman seems to be back.

e: WAIT, BoJack 4 is out already? Well that was sudden

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

While I agree it's been hit and miss, I'd have to disagree with which episodes have been doing so. I think the first episode was fantastic and Pickle Rick was pretty interesting if ultimately iffis, Rest and Relaxation was pretty cool seeing Toxin versions and "Clean" versions of Rick and Morty, and I think the Tales from the Citadel episode was one of the best of the entire series. However, I really hated the Mad Max, Vindicator and Whirly Dirly Episode. 

In the Mad Max episode, although the art for the society was cool enough, they didn't really do much with that, Joel McHale's voice acting was wasted on a fairly bland boring character, and the entire plot just kind of went "Hey look, with power they become society again, and look, it's a boring family!" It really didn't have anything interesting, besides I guess Armthany being OK at best for a B Plot, and Android Morty's demise being pretty fun.

The Vindicators similarly wasted Gillian Jacobs, and was the ultimately boring nothingness of throwing shade at all the new Superhero films. For a show that's had so many fresh and interesting looks into many concepts, to have a whole episode built to insulting something everyone's had a go pointing out the flwas in was a waste. The entire episode was a build up to an obvious "Oh, he wasn't talking about Morty!" ending that just kind of fizzled out to "And there's a party!".

The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy had a really boring B Plot that didn't do much, and while the main plot wasn't terrible, it was just kind of lacking any of the elements that made Rick and Morty as good as it was. It was at best a filler episode.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
Alright, I'm amused at the divergence in what we took away from each episode, barring Citadel Tales, which was stellar. The first episode was nice, though it's been so long I've mentally put it as an interquel between seasons which it technically isn't. The Toxic and Clean versions felt weirdly abstract, and a weird way to convey that they're both broken in multiple ways, a message other episodes have done far more astutely. For me, the Mad Max episode was really just two things - the Mad Max city becoming domesticated (with the pursuant problems and fights), and Rick's last minute snagging the power crystal; both of those were great character moments. Pickle Rick was really, really far out there. It just said 'Rick is very smart but uses it to hide away from solving his problems', but took a really needlessly circuitous route for that, neither revelation was new. At the same time the entire enemy facility he was in made no sense, and throwing the Jaguar onto the side-list of the cast was another strange addition to the series canon. Vindicators was funny for the subversions ('Those descriptions fit all of you'), though the ending wasn't good, frankly there have been just so many superhero films that I felt this was a well earned episode. Whirly Dirly was bad, no questions there.

I just finished BoJack 4, and I must say, I'm impressed. They'd already plumbed the depths of how BoJack can do bad things and have bad things happen, so I must say I was curious to see how they'd take things from there. I honestly must say I did not expect things to turn out the way they did, but the show is consistent in building up to a fantastic last two/three episodes which realize a great payoff for the season, and makes you realize the show was being consistent in its inquisition and overarching themes all along. The final tying together of the season's threads at the end and the episode with Princess Caroline as the focus in specific were excellent content, I'd love to hear your opinion on the season when you get around to watching it.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

The Toxic and Clean versions seemed like it added something that hasn't really been done before. Sure, Morty's depression and self-loathing is shown to be a huge part of Morty, but we get to see what he's like without his "flaws", and it's far, far worse than Normal Morty. Instead of the loveable loser we have, without his flaws he becomes this annoying, Patrick Bateman-type motherfucker. He's lost all likeable and underdog qualities and instead we see that he's far worse, and definitely incredibly off. Rick's similar enough, in that sure, the "Ideal" Rick is more friendly, easy going and genuinely seems to be far better, until you learn that he's completely sociopathic and uncaring towards everything else. You see that while Rick does care for Morty, that's a fault he sees in himself and he wishes he didn't, and it's cool to explore that shit. Plus, the episode was funny and had cool science shit like the rebirth gun, so props to that. 

Mad Mad's the city becoming domesticated wasn't really something explored, more a "Look! The Mad Max society is like a sit-com town! Isn't that hilarious?" Nothing was really explored, it was just a reskinned sterotypical American town with a Fallout Raider aesthetic. Rick snagging the crystal wasn't really a character moment, seeing as that entire episode's motive for him was getting the crystal. We've seen him do awful shit, him taking the power source for a tribe of cannibal-raiders isn't particularly interesting or telling.

Pickle Rick was weird, sure, but I enjoyed seeing how he dealt with the issues in clever ways. It didn't work perfectly, but since they were trying something new I don't particularly care since enough of it was good that I could enjoy it. Contrast to the vindicators, which again, didn't really say anything new. I've heard the "Everyone's grimdark and the same, they've taken away the uniqueness" from billions of comments, chats and peoples", and they just didn't add anything particularly interesting there. There was no big Rick and Morty take on it, it was just pointing out obvious flaws without adding anything cool. I'm surprised they didn't point out how there was Rainbow Man in a nearly black and white costume.

Haven't watched Bojack season four yet, season three was iffish enough after season 2 so I'm not super eager to binge it, plus I've a shit ton of other stuff on. After how great season two's finale was, season three just kind of felt... eh. Like, it wasn't bad, and there was a few cool things like the underwater episode, but I suppose I'll give season four a try some time.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Season 3.

Episode one was great.

Episode two was good.

Episode three was meh, cool action sequences, shitty story and the therapist bit was annoying (Rick is obviously smarter than this woman, and yet the writer's took joy in her dominating Rick, ugh, feminists)

Episode four was bad. Cliche, boring, with the only highlights being Noob Noob's goDAMN and the Logic cameo.

Episode five was good. Story good, cool action sequences, a trippy sequence, and a nice ending to top it off.

Episode six was wishy-washy. It was fun to see their toxic versus healthy sides, but the storyline kind of meandered on and wasn't all that engaging.

Episode seven I have not seen. Plan on watching it later tonight.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

I have many questions as to why you think that the feminist scene was "Ugh, feminists". Please, explain.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Watch the video on youtube 'Ricking Morty' about that specific episode. Watch as the writer basically foams at the mouth about how the therapist 'dominated' Rick.

I feel like the writing could've been stronger than Rick just doesn't 'respect' therapy or whatever. He could've retaliated in more of a Rick manner, shutting down the therapists thoughts about how fucked up Rick is to the family (since he planned the divorce and the seperation, apparently) instead of allowing her to drone on and on and on about how fucked up Rick is to the family and whatnot. I mean, obviously, it's true, but Rick's character could've definitely used better writing in this specific instance.

Plus, that therapist character was an uppity bitch, I bet she eats poop.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

That's forty minutes, ideally give me a specific part where it's at so I don't have to watch the whole thing.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Watch from about 37:00.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Alright, response time. Basically, even holding this, nothing to do with feminism. Can't tell if that's a really shit joke, or you're just being as stupid as you regularly are.

Either way, it seems the writer enjoyed having someone be able to tell Rick off, which I don't see as an issue. Rick might be a genius, but he's got serious sociopathic tendencies and isn't capable of accepting his own emotions, so yeah, on the issue of his psyche, the psychiatrist knows more than him. He looked at her with the indifferent, bored look that Rick has a lot of the time, plus I don't know how coming back with "Yeah, but I did it because I don't care about the family or whatever" would be anything more than playing into the therapist's hands.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

It was a shitty joke, but then you tried to over-examine it and I just explained how I felt. Chill down, sir. Chill down.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Well yeah, I pointed out your shitty joke and then refuted your point. Terrific.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Stop being a cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunt. Thanks :)

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Christ, what a harsh response. Truly the soul of wit and brevity's striking me down tonight. Ouch.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Damn, you make me want to kill myself.

All I'd have to do is climb your ego and jump to your IQ.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Oh, delightful. Go do that, then. Down some bleach and finish it all, and make improve the general quality of life for yours parents and I.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

So, anyways, did you see the preview for the newest episode?

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

And at that point, seeing as you're useless to interact with on a people level, I'll end the conversation now.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

I love how your 'people level' includes throwing meaningless comebacks in a thread obviously about Rick and Morty. 

I tried to bring the whole conversation back around to the topic at hand, because everytime I interact with you you draw into a long-winded comeback war that puts absolutely nothing into critical thinking, opinions about the thread, etc. It's quite boring and repetitive. But each is to their own, I'll just simply ignore you from now on I guess, since you seem to just want to have a flame war.

And if you do happen to put some cool thing into the conversation, then I'll interact with you. Because sometimes, you actually do have intriguing opinions and thoughtful discussions.

Well, thanks for your time, I guess.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
Oh interesting so this is why RG hates Steve? Because he expressed a differing opinion about an episode of a cartoon. Okay.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

I personally feel like the newest citadel episode was the best of the season. One of the most hard hitting plot moments in the show at the very end of the episode.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
I just watched a few episodes and all I can say is, "What the hell did I just watch?"

"I'm pickle Rick!"

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
I started watching a few days ago cause people kept bothering me about it and telling me it was the best thing in the world. I'm caught up now and it just seems like a typical adult-comedy cartoon with a smart-ish twist on it. They don't go THAT deep into physics - it's not like they're talking about spacetime topology or quantum vaccuums or anything worth silver. The same can be said for all the intellectual (mostly STEM) jokes/references the show makes. They appeal to the reasonable majority of educated people, and the people are right that indeed the show makes references to things only people who have a higher educational background or interest in the subjects would have, but it's over-hyped in all areas. It's not the best thing in the world, and it's not the most highly educated top-tier STEM references because if they did that then only the people who majored in those particular subjects would get particular jokes.

It's more like the jokes are geared towards the science-minded but not specific-science-minded people. Those who fit into this audience tend to be one of two people: they watch the show and think it's funny and go on without a second thought or they watch the show and because they get the references they have to overhype and tell everyone it's the greatest smart-comedy of the century.

Unfortunately the overhype gets to people who aren't science-minded who are mostly people who overhype as well and want to be excited about smart stuff too regardless of how not-actually-that-smart it really is (cycle of overhype).

It's a funny cartoon that makes some pretty good STEM references, but it's not anything new-concept or actually complex. Someone who has no knowledge beyond the basics of physics can google a rick and morty joke and understand it within an hour tops (more like 3 minutes reasonably).

If rick and morty were a really try-hard super smart show it could make jokes and references to something extremely out in the left-field of complexity that no mere amateur would understand. Stuff that would take hours of reading documentation or actually majoring in the subject through higher education in order to understand. They don't simply because it wouldn't appeal to a large enough audience - it'd go over everyone's head. So they stick with not-too-smart but just-smart-enough to get people interested and using their brains a bit to get the joke. It works well but it's overhyped and that overhype really kills it for people who don't really watch cartoons or TV in general.

6/8 cartoon. 2/8 fans.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

I avoid all hype. Hype beasts are the world's worst... uh... thing? Remember No Man's Sky? Yeah, just avoid hype. It's my favorite show on the air right now, but that's just my opinion. I didn't read about how great it was, or anything like that. I watched the first episode because my girlfriend recommended it, and after that I've been hooked. And I'm not even like a science geek (in fact, I think I have a D in science class right now...). It's just unique. The hype comes with the popularity (and the LOOOOOONG wait between seasons).

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Well, finished the season. Morty's Mind Blowers was pretty fun. Seemed like a bunch of fun Rick and Morty bits, all in all it was a pretty good episode. The ABC's of Beth was mediocre. The B Plot amounted to nothing more than "Jerry's with an alien, uh oh, things aren't going well!" It was super boring and seemed like a way to waste time. The main plot was... eh, whatever. There was some cool bits, like the actual incest-cannibalism of Tommy, the Varrix clearly being sentient people and no one caring, and the fun sentient switchblade, but besides that... eh. I guess more plot about Beth being like Rick. There's a really in your face bit where Beth wonders if she wants to abandon her family, which doesn't even have the balls to be left hanging as it continues shittily in the next episode. Season 1 had the balls to kill off an entire Earth and leave behind the Summer, Beth and Jerry we'd had, this isn't new or interesting territory. Anyhow, really a waste of an episode.

The finale, unfortunately, was also shit. Rather than being about Evil Morty as I hoped, it's about Keith David president. Now, Keith David is great and I love him, but here it was... meh. There's just nothing interesting here. We don't even get to see Phoenix Person or the Citadel of Ricks or anything. They set the reset button on the Jerry-Beth relationship in a stupid, regressive move that even they call themself out on. There's a complete and super unreasonable change in Keith David's character because I guess they needed an antagonist. Then, that just fizzles out for a continuation of the Beth maybe being a clone thing, which I don't care about. Fuck, it contains a Minecraft bit, because I guess that's still a thing. Compared to the fantastic ending of Season 2, I just don't give a fuck. It's such a shit finale to the season that it left me deflated and annoyed. Fuck it, I don't even care too much about the next season.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Yeah, the ending was a total fucking disappointment. It didn't move anything forward, hit the reset button, both on the divorce AND the entire plot of the episode. The worst thing was that I thought the Rick that walked in on the President (flying fish Rick or some shit) was actually sent by Evil Morty.... but NOPE, just a dumb loophole. No cliffhanger, and killed all hype with like, the last couple of sentences (something along the lines of... Season 4 will be like Season 1 but more stream-lined), and then the Mr. Poopy Butthole part wasn't even funny.

A hit or miss season with a miss ending. Come on, at least leave it at a cliffhanger so we are actually waiting for the show, if it takes another two years for Season 4, then nobody will care because the Season 3 ending had much to be desired.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewers head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existential catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Rick & Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
Your brand of humor/jargon has been missed :)

Also, season ending was trash. On the whole I'd rate Season 2>1=3, just so many concepts left unexplored

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

This meme has filtered to the entire internet. I read this before Pewdiepie memed it.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

My favorite part about the show is the subtle characterization. I don't really get most of the references or jokes, but the characterization and things you don't see in most shows is interesting. There's a quite a bit of subtleness if you look for it. Seems like the two ends of extreme simultaneously. 

Generally the part of the episodes that focus on people like jerry are predictable and stereotypical - everything turns out alright, things are fixed, it all gets better. Whereas the ones involving rick and/or morty tend to be more complicated and questions morality or makes plain some of the stupid stuff that's in place irl that no one really thinks of, and there's always something wrong, something that just leaves an off feeling that'd different from what you get with the normal happy endings.

*spoilers* There's a lot of subtle hints and clues that foreshadow things too. On the evil morty episode going through ricks memories, there's a baby morty. Morty's 14. And rick's been gone from the family for 20 years. Therefor, rick couldn't have seen this morty as a baby, and unless that was a complete accident, that means there's going to be something about rick's first morty, or a past morty. And that the show doesn't follow the same set of rick and morty - I'm pretty sure there's at least 3 different sets of ricks and mortys the show has followed. The episode with Mr Poopy Butthole, as stupid as the name sounds, and then the one where somehow Jerry comes along and he's left at jerry daycare. The number on the tickets in the beginning is c-136 I believe? Whereas the normal set the show follows is c-137. Those probably aren't the only ones. It just plays around with a lot of concepts and things you don't see in other shows.

I also have a hunch that maybe evil morty is doofus rick's morty.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

No, it's always been the same Rick and Morty as far as the show can tell. The rest of the family were abandoned in the Cronenberg Universe, but the Rick and Morty stay the same, as far as we can tell. The number on the tickets was C-137, although Rick left his number off, so it's quite possible that this isn't his universe of origin.

Also, Doofus Rick doesn't have a Morty, he didn't have kids. Evil Morty, I think, will be Main Rick's original Morty, the one we saw in the memory that he left for dead somewhere or something.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

I just started watching this series yesterday, and holy shit, this is probably one of my new favorites. I'm currently on season two, just finished watching Total Rickall.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

I am quite sad over the ned of Season 3 but after analyzing Mr. Poopybutthole's words at the end I am guessing Season 4 will start around Christmas time.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Or just a couple of episodes to end off the seasons. Season 4 would be a little rushed.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

That could be true you may be right. How ever I still think it's comiing out around CHristamas but probably next year

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

(I'm replying to the first comment) Royal, just watch Boku No Pico and some anime shows... Actually, if you like watching three gay boys doing a three sum, Boku No Pico is for you. But if you want the regular anime TV shows, I suggest One Punch Man and Naruto. (Do any of you watch Pokémon?) Don't hate on anime/hentai. It's the best thing which has ever happened to be. (Anime hentai sure is detailed.) 

But seriously, instead of watching Rick and Morty, you could watch anime. 

To stay on task, I like all of the episodes of Rick and Morty. I really love Pickle Rick though. He's amazing. <3

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

70% of anime is shit. I mean, 70% of everything is shit, but I think most if not all of Hentai belongs in that 70%, personally. It's all poorly-conceived-of garbage with basic content despite not at all needing to be rooted in reality, and girls only have 1 face and 2 body types, none of which are particularly interesting. Unless they're those loli prostitots in which case there's a third body type that's actively repulsive. And there's also horrifying fat-lipped basement nerds that go around raping everyone and that's pretty shitty too. I can actually say that Hentai is probably the third worst porn genre I've seen more than one of and you should be ashamed of your dumb tastes.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
Dini's av appears to be a blushing and sexualized ten year old, but hey that's anime for you and we should just be grateful each tit isn't larger than her head.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

I guess she can replace Raven and Negative.

She hasn't annoyed people with 100s of PMs talking about guns and she hasn't made any suicide threads so she's already doing better than both so far.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

End, who exactly is Raven and Negative? 

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

They are banned fools.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Okay, but what exactly did they do? 

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Negative literally asked End to be banned, and I wasn't around when Raven was banned. I don't lnow for sure if he was- I've been told by a few people he is banned, but if so I don't know how he was.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Is there any confirmation with Raven being banned? I remember him being rather harmless for the most part. 

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Raven isn't banned, he just left, though I think there's been suspicions that he's now Wizzycat.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

I had a feeling Minnie didn't know what he was talking about. I'm beginning to think that I may have made a mistake in releasing him from his collar.

But Raven being Wizzy? That would be pretty bizarre if it was true. 

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Sentinel called Wizzy "Raven" as if he knew something, but he might have just been using the name as an insult to Wizzy.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

For the record, I called Wizzy "Raven" because he was bumbling on about how the Heckler and Koch 1965 MNUMB3R5 Defender Minigun can fire x^63 bullets per second and therefore is a dangerous thing that needed to be banned, not because I thought he was an alt.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
Yeah Raven only made a thread breaking up with CYS because he had a new site in his life, and in a shocking twist of events didn't immediately go back on his word and start posting again.

I believe it was @CrescentStar who implied he was still lurking with a different account at some point, let us put her on the rack until she confesses all she knows.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Lurking with a different account? Haven't talked to him lately, but he's logged on a few times to PM.

E: Raven must've logged on before he was banned. Prob stopped PMing me afterwards, then.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Her face says she's ten but her chest says she's at least 14. But hey, if KFC can convince Japan that it's normal practice in America to have fried chicken on Christmas because Colonel Sanders is Santa Claus, they can probably convince them it's normal to put huge globs of BGH in the batter as part of the secret herbs and spices, so who knows what kind of mutant 10 year olds there are out there.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Hang on, is Dini a chick?

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

I doubt it. She's probably a Raven.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Or just trying to deal with the stress of never becoming a successful painter/dancer, losing a daughter and having two troglodyte-level retards for stepsons.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
Painting and dancing careers are pipe dreams and much like making a fabulous living writing or singing or winning the lottery I have a lot of contempt for people who just like, expect it.

Seeing as how

6 years ago
This thread is already derailed through hell and back, a couple of times at that, I'll bite at your idea. A story about a 'professional lottery winner,' as in a person who genuinely considers the lottery/ies to be their only source of income would be pretty fun to read. They'd be different from say a professional poker player (who has measurable personal skill, such as 'scum-reading' other players), in that they'd be entirely dependent on luck. Heck, a story game where the probability of them winning anything is a pure RNG roll, which then determines what life choice options they'd have would be seriously fun. Oh, and the person would be dead serious to anyone they met that they were indeed a 'professional lottery player,' business cards and all.

Seeing as how

6 years ago
Well you can really only win the lottery once before winning the lottery becomes more a hobby than a needed source of income. Unless we're talking smaller but steady payouts brought in by scratch offs or something.

I'm not sure about basing a whole game off of it, but it definitely seems like it should be a viable play style in a larger game for a character with a maxed out Luck attribute.

Seeing as how

6 years ago
Yep, but the concept would be poking fun of the idea of winning a lottery to make it big. You could have text that changes based on just three things: Highest one time gain, current cash, time since last win. Depending on those three, a player playing small (but far more likely to pay out bets) would have a very different experience than someone taking monumental risks (which would pretty much never play off unless you allowed them to 'cheat' and win just so someone would see the actual text).

If the player won it big, they'd experience a scene of quitting their job, burning the money, being invited to snobby parties where the water costs more than normal champagne, aaaand eventually crashing and burning nicely (yet still being interested in continuing their 'profession'). If they don't win, they'd perhaps walk by the venue of said snooty party and say to themselves 'Next time,' with a straight look on their face.

A run where the player never wins anything, goes slight/moderately/deeply in the red, and is chased out by creditors would be the 'normal' run, and their character dialogues would reflect that (though they'd never lose faith in their 'profession'). I know this is just a wild idea running rampant, but it feels like it could be a really fun critique of a lot of modern stereotypes about leaving it all to luck (and expecting that to work out).

/Side derail/ I've heard extremely positive things about Original Sin 2, and having Kickstarted it I wonder whether this kind of a playthrough (pure luck) would work there.

Seeing as how

6 years ago
I'm wanting Original Sin 2 pretty badly, I had way too much fun with the first considering there was nothing particularly jaw dropping going on there with the story or gameplay itself. Fun combat though.

Seeing as how

6 years ago
I'm waiting for a few more months before playing it (I'll have a gaming colleague joining then so we can play splitscreen co-op), and also for the inevitable bug patches and QoL upgrades a game of this size is going to need. Still, seeing the reviews I'm really happy I kickstarted this.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

My gender is classified, so please don't question me. Just say that it is "other" for now. 

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Nah, fuck that. I'll presume you're a lonely old twenty year old dude.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Alright. You have the right to presume anything you want. Doesn't mean that you have information to back up your claim. 

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
He's got plenty of info. The way I heard it your mom talks a lot in her sleep, and so does your dad.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Wow Mizal. Don't judge me just because of my fucking av. 

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

If you don't want people to judge you for your avatar, change it to something that doesn't look like a horny pedophile made it.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Thanks for the helpful tip Minnie. (I'm not being sarcastic.) Your profile pic sorta reminds me of Kakashi from Naruto. He's pretty cool in my opinion. 

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

There are actually GOOD anime shows out there. Just because one anime TV show is crap doesn't mean that the other TV shows are as well. I like anime because of their theme songs. If you listen to the theme songs when they are played on the piano, they sound fucking amazing and beautiful. Otherwise, I'll just stick to my regular TV shows. 

Rick and Morty

6 years ago
Mizal, I'm still trying to find a fucking profile picture which suits me. Your av looks like a fucking chink, so I wouldn't be speaking if I were you. Sorry if I'm going in the racist category, but you asswipes forced me to go there. And again, don't judge every anime show because of hentai. There's some pretty good shows out there.

Nice edit.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Thanks. <3

I figured that I wasn't acting quite polite, but you guys did piss me off though. So again, sorry for the incovience. (I hope that you can accept my apology.) 

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Apology rejected, you 40-year old sexpat/weaboo. I'd add virgin, but you've probably used your college fund to fuck a 12 year old Thai ladyboy or something. 

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

It's "threesome", you degenerate.

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Sorry mate, I made an error there. 

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

Among many other errors. 

Rick and Morty

6 years ago

It's okay.