Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

I'm really excited about tomorrow. The solar eclipse will be right over where I'm living, and I get to go see it with my best friend. Sadly not the total eclipse, we're in the outer edge of it, but it'll be cool anyway. I've never seen one before. 

How about you guys? Have any of you ever seen an eclipse, or will be seeing this one? 

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

I've never seen one before. I hope to be blinded by the sheer magnificence of it.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago
Zag later tries to stare directly at the sun and regrets his choice of words.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

Lol, exactly. But I hope to buy some of those special viewing spectacles at the last minute.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

My friend ostensibly has a second pair of glasses. If I can't borrow them from him I'll just look directly at the fucking sun. Eclipse > eyes 

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

lol same

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

Well, I live in the sticks, but the eclipse is apparently going to be right over my home (being only a second off of the maximum eclipse time). The thing is, I’ll be working, so I’ll probably get to see about twelve seconds of the moon covering the sun's face. I’ll also stare at the sun despite the fact that I have those tacky “totally not 3D” glasses because screw it.

I would’ve been going to college as my first day tomorrow, but they decided to cancel day classes to sell tickets on their lawn. Money > Students… I have night classes though as well, so I’m getting the worst of both worlds in a situation where I could’ve gotten the best.

On the up side, just about every business around Jefferson county has $10 parking for the eclipse. On dude even mowed his house’s lawn and put up a cardboard sign saying “Best parking $10” despite the fact that the hill he’s on is overlooking a garbage dump. :)
Missouri is hilarious.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago
At least your state axed that idea of putting up cardboard signs for 'assassinate Trump $10'.

I'll be out of work by the time it starts here but I haven't looked around for any way to actually view it yet. But we had one when I was seven or eight and IIRC you can even cut a tiny slit in a piece of cardboard or something.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

Actually, my state did just have a state Senator say that she "hope[d] Trump is assassinated". In order to not be blind (no offense to Mayana), I'll just stare at the sun for a second or two until I have to work again. In all honesty, I'd rather be at home to just stare at our two dozen chickens. They're supposed to start roosting since apparently their chicken brains will assume it's now randomly night.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it's also supposed to be cloudy, so I may not be able to stare at the sun for even two seconds (being my intended time).

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

I'm sure Mayana will be able to give you all further instructions on your transformation after you look at the eclipse.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

I'll be watching with my friends. We have a lot of glasses. Hopefully the eclipse is worth all the money we spent to get these... they ran out and we had to get them for nine hundred dollars on god damned ebay.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago
Now let's play the guessing game of what terrible apocalyptic scenario the eclipse is a harbinger of, and who/what we need to sacrifice to avert this fate.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

We need to force Mayana to stare at it, in order to regain her sight. 

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago
This would actually be a really cool idea for a fantasy story, I'm filing this one away.

Seems like enough people preparing to sacrifice their vision in this thread that it ought to have some effect on curing a blindie anyway.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago
I won't be able to see this one, but I have seen a solar eclipse before, and yes, I stared at it for a good while. I don't recall it being too impressive, but then again it was half cloudy so maybe I missed it completely. It happened some years ago now and I don't remember it well.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago
Just do the pinhole camera thing if you can't get the glasses.

Get a paper, put a round hole in the center (about the width of #2 wooden pencil lead).

Place another paper on the ground.

Stand with back to eclipse and hold paper with hole over paper on ground. Closer will be small sharp picture, farther will be larger blurred picture.

Eyeballing an eclipse is actually worse than staring at directly at the sun and can cause irreparable damage.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

Also, if you can look a a lightbulb and see anything but filament, your viewer is no good. 

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

I got lucky. I'm right under the path of totality. I'm hoping to gain some superhuman typing powers from it, but if that doesn't happen then I'll settle for the power to stare at a computer screen for 72 hours in a row.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

Where I am, there'll be 96% coverage so I'm super excited! I'll be watching it with my school marching band.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

Pfft, you fancy-shmancy Americans with your guns and your eclipses. I'll just stay on this side of the pond and look at the sunset to see the sun disappear.

Though there was an eclipse a couple of years ago over here that I vaguely remember. Though I was like five at the time.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago
I wish I could but we only get a tiny bit of overlap for a short time over here. I've never seen one before.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago
This'll be the fourth one I've seen and the closest to totality. It's supposed to reach 96% here. I've been keeping an eye on it through a welding helmet and it's starting to cool off already.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

The Moon God hasn't even eaten the Sun God yet and already people here are driving like assholes more so than usual.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago
Yeah, that's why I decided to not drive north to see it.

Only about five minutes left until totality (or as close as it'll get) here so I'm heading outside until it's over.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

Saw it x'D

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

100% totality is pretty freaking amazing.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago
pretty cool. only saw it breifly because we were working on some thermo problems and didn't bother to go outside until a lady came by and was like "hey you guys wanna come see we have extra glasses"

I think the real weirdness was driving home today since the skies were clear but the lighting was so off-light it seemed like a video game. Thank god the temperature dropped though that was the best part of the eclipse - lower temperatures.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago
There was a what, now?

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

From where I am in the heart of California, we had 70% coverage.As we went to our classes I saw this freshman who had bought the special glasses, and asked if I could use them for a moment. I let out an audible "wow" as I saw that the moon was half covering the sun. Thankfully I had an intermediate band class and my director allowed us to work on our own. Our school had re-arranged the schedule to prevent anyone from being outside as the eclipse happened. So, I took my underling baritones outside to practice under an overhang. I figured out the pinhole projection thing and pretty much watched it like that. I even looked up at the sun briefly a few times, but didn't go blind.

It only got slightly darker, and the whole thing left me a bit underwhelmed. However, I was glad I got to see the eclipse.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

Borrowed some dude's glasses. It was neat. 

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

Well, I watched it (while taking breaks to look away) and wore my glasses (most of the time). The neatest thing for me would be the ground. When the sun was only a crescent, then there were sunny cresents poking through the tree leaves. I had no idea that happened during eclipses.

Solar Eclipse

6 years ago

*gets excited at "crescent"* Tbh I'm not even sure if I actually saw the eclipse. :( The clouds were in the way, but the sun was a nice crescent shape, and the curved edge looked so clean...