Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

"View source" of existing stories with author ok?

5 years ago

I'm trying to write a story, and am slowly learning how to use the editor, variables, items, etc, and think it would be extremely helpful if I could see the "source" of an existing storygame, especially one that I really like or find interesting.

Is there any way for an author to allow readers to view his/her source code, and, if so, have any authors done this?

5 years ago

Yeah it’s pretty easy, firstly make sure you have advanced editor on and then for practice just write a message here, if you do it correctly you should see the a button called source at the top next to the smiley face. Press that and ta-da!

Here’s the source of my message pasted

<p>Yeah it&rsquo;s pretty easy, firstly make sure you have advanced editor on and then for practice just write a message here, if you do it&nbsp;correctly you should see the a button called source at the top next to the smiley face. Press that and ta-da!</p>

<p>Here&rsquo;s the source of this message pasted</p>

Oh and no, you can’t have your reader see the source code

5 years ago

Oh, I actually meant the source of a story, like http://chooseyourstory.com/story/achilles for example.

I want to see the % codes as described in http://chooseyourstory.com/help/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=3850 for example, or the variable changes assigned to links and the automatic redirect when a variable reaches a value and so on.

In other words, I want to see other people's stories the way I see my own-- in the story editor.

5 years ago

Ehh, unless your the co-author I don’t “think” that’s possible. It may be possible but I highly doubt it.

5 years ago
Actually, once a story is published, I'm pretty sure even the authors can't see their own code. And the way the code is written here, there's not really one place with source because the code could be in links, in the page, in the scripts box, or other places. I'd suggest you just check out all the samples in the help & info section, then ask specific questions in the Advanced Editor Forum.

5 years ago
If you had a specific question and put it on the Advanced editor board I'm sure someone would be willing to explain how to do it in detail or even create an example for you.