Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

It's really fucking annoying prepping for these things.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
I haven't heard of any hurricanes drowning Kansas.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
No, they just get the tornados. No need to prep for those at all, they just show up whenever they feel like.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
Reduces the stress of preparing though!

How about Alaska?

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
Nice place but everyone there will eventually be eaten by Russians and raped by bears.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
I'm sorry that apparently no one cares about the serious threat to your life and property. Well, other than me and mizal, but we're not savage degenerates.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
I think it's more likely that people only read the most recent thread to pop up when it comes to browsing the Lounge. Surely we all hope End survives. He provides at least 80% of the good reading material around here.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

Indeed, best of wishes to End.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
@mizal so they're all too lazy to care about End. Much better, indeed. ^_^

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
Not too lazy to care, too lazy to read. Being too lazy to care implies that the information was known and then ignored.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

What Leora said.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

Yeah fuck this, taking everything of major immediate importance that can be transported and heading to Kentucky tomorrow morning to avoid all this shit. (Wife has family that way) Hopefully the house doesn't get too fucked up. Still putting sandbags and such around the doors and other key areas, since I think the water in this area will be worse than anything else.

I was planning to stay and weather the storm, but then I remembered an important lesson from a wise warrior:

Long ago, a storm was heading for the city of Quin’lat. Everyone took protection within the walls except one man who remained outside. Kahless went to him and asked what he was doing.

"I am not afraid," the man said. "I will not hide my face behind stone and mortar. I will stand before the wind and make it respect me." Kahless honored his choice and went back inside. The next day, the storm came, and the man was killed.

Kahless replied, "The wind does not respect a fool".

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
Best of luck... I'm sorry you and your family have to go through all of that.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
Sucks you're having to go through all this but after Harvey I'm firmly in the 'Never ever fucking ride one of those out' camp. The hurricane itself was this terrifying night of listening to the wind just screaming and howling and expecting the roof to peel off at any moment, the days afterward are sometimes even more dangerous with people in flood prone areas never seeming to understanding that all this extra water inland of them is going to be trying to flow back to sea level, and then once the heat and humidity settles back in and you're trapped in your sweltering home flushing the toilet with a bucket for a week and not able to go outside to even try and catch a breeze because of the unholy swarm of mosquitoes that has arisen to take back the land you start thinking of how even being a homeless wanderer living in your car for a week or two somewhere you could at least find air conditioner in public buildings during the day sounds like fuckin paradise.

I just wish Sabley would get out too but she may be further inland idk.

Although keep in mind you're going to have literally like a million people trying to evacuate away from the hurricane with you so I'd really recommend leaving ASAP and like I said last night, take a case of water and some extra gas with you because depending on how the roads are laid out, somebody in all this mess getting in an accident could mean you get stuck in traffic for hours. It's happened in Houston and Florida although I guess it's possible they just were uniquely badly designed for that many people trying to travel in one direction at once.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
Also just slapping some big Xs of tape on your windows will help limit the damage if they take a hit just fyi, unless you've gone all out with the plywood already.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
I've never really understood the sandbagging thing. Is it to slow water from getting inside or to keep it from getting out once it's in there?

When this is all over, you might consider moving way inland somewhere. All you need is a cellar that you can poke your head out of every now and then to take pot shots at passersby. Just make sure that it can stand up to earthquakes since we're getting those more and more thanks to fracking.

"Today is a good day to die!" or "Live long and prosper" whichever one works best for the situation you are in now.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
In conjunction with a plastic sheet, it helps keep water out.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

Since I've managed to get to the safety zone, I'll go with the Jem'Hadar saying:

"Victory is Life."

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
That sucks, but I'm glad you're getting out of there. If I was closer to the coast I would be doing the same.

I keep seeing pictures of people over there writing "Stayin and prayin" in walking dead fashion on the boarded up windows of their houses and I just can't imagine trying to ride that out.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

Sorry you and your family are going through this. I have friends in Houston who had to weather the Hurricane last year and their house became an island and their neighborhood an archipelago. People from the Louisiana Bayou had to come in their boats to save the day. Hope things don't get so bad for your home. 

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

Stay safe.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
If it makes you feel better there's a bigger typhoon heading towards me in Hong Kong :)

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
How much prepping are you doing? If flooding is a possibility I'd recommend crafting a raft out of corpses in advance, don't wait til everyone's doing it.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
Well I'm on floor eleven of an apartment complex so we have mainly envisioned zombie scenarios up until this point but if it does come to the inevitable realisation of H2O exceeding landmass in the near future hiking distance to Mount Everest is not implausible plus a sort of modern Noah's Ark made out of floatable materials would make a good 21st century adaptation of a Lost scenario shot in documentary format... meh, the strength of nature is an experience :) Better than nothing happening at all, or worse... Trump. I would put natural disasters ahead of man-made ones :D We'll calculate the comparative death tolls later :P

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

surprise My condolences...

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

Just realized that we're getting hit by the same typhoon. Typhoon Mangkhut? I don't live in an apartment so hopefully I don't drown to death before I finish my storygame.

On a lighter note, the typhoon got second/local name when it got near my country and now has the same name as my PE/Gym coach. 

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
I hear ya, man. It's really tough.

I've been desperately trying to come up with different ways to make a little extra off the impending tide of people that make it this far inland, but the ones that make it this far probably won't have a nickel left. I guess I could put 'em to doing yard work or something and pay 'em in sandwiches.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
I hear you. I'm in the northwestern part of SC right on the NC border so at least it should have downgraded to tropical storm by the time it hits me, but I'm still facing crazy winds and flooding.

I've got my chickens hunkered down in the coop with all the vents closed except for the one under tin roof so that they don't suffocate or something. I'm stocking up on food today after work and we're getting the generator out of the shed at some point today while we're at it.

Hopefully we don't lose power, but with the generator it won't be a huge deal if we do. Maybe I'll be get some writing done while I'm stuck inside lol. Assuming my home doesn't pull a Noah's Ark and float away that is.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

Well apparently just going to the far north western part of Virginia that will be out of the way of the hurricane because travel plans change. Really the roads have been clear so not encountering any problems.

Seeing some reports that Florence has shifted south so it might hit South Carolina more and even parts of Georgia. Who knows though.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
One report predicted 40 inches of rain in some places. That's an ungodly amount of water.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

Well that's a relief.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
People are so unbelievably dumb.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
We need the Navy or Coast Guard to compile lists of things that also do not contain sharks and disseminate the information, how else are the people supposed to know.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

only gotta worry about the tornados

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

Well now it's saying this thing dropped to category 1. I guess the flooding might still be an issue and the places getting a direct hit are still not in the best situation.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
On one hand I'm amazed they're still bothering to report on a Category 1 so much but on the other hand even those have been known to do some damage and knock power out an uncomfortable amount of time. And flooding is dangerous even when not attached to hurricanes but eh. Cat 1. I'm switching my focus to Isaac which might come this way.

Are you still in the hotel? Is it at least a nice hotel?

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
It's already down to a tropical storm with the last reports I read. They've got to report on this after they hyped it up so much. The news outlets are likely scouring any report they can find to make this sound horrible. Just a couple days ago this was the "worst storm ever in recorded history" and was "going to affect (and maybe kill) tens of millions of people." They can't stop reporting on it now.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
No you don't understand THE CLIMATE CHANGE IS DESTROYING US ALL *stands outside in a rain slicker and yells over the noise of an industrial fan while the trees in the background shift their leaves very slightly in a light drizzle*

The Philippines might be genuinely fucked though the last time I checked, hope Jacoder gets through it all okay this weekend.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
I did read more than one news story that honestly blamed the hurricane on Trump because he signed a piece of paper earlier in the day.

But yes, we should pay much more attention to the Far East, as they don't just have a storm, they have a SUPER TYPHOON!

I'm jealous. Why don't we get any SUPER hurricanes?

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

because north america doesn't have the conditions to create giant tropical storms? generally they happen in tropical areas. 

which guess, what, get hotter because of climate change 

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago
I think the SUPER TYPHOON they got hit with in 2013 did kill over ten thousand people so I'm pretty okay with not having super anything.

@Jacoder23 everything okay with you and your mom?

But yeah the bloodthirst liberals have over hurricanes now is really strange, last year I was reading so many people openly hoping Harvey and Irma would kill hundreds of thousands...mostly the poor and minorities...because they were personally responsible for Trump and therefore climate change. When it looked like the reservoirs in Houston would overflow there were a couple of threads I kept refreshing for updates but they were all getting interrupted and derailed by posters who seemed on the verge of jizzing in their pants. (More than one literally claimed that lol...what the fuck)

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

FINALLY ELECTRICITY

Okay so for the past 12 hours there's been zero electricity and a shit ton of rain and wind. It's back now and in the time I had no electricity I got to write another short story so I'll post that later.

Everything's fine for now but my mom still hasn't been able to change her flight date from Sunday so uh, not sure what to do about that.

I hope there's no rain tomorrow so she can fly safe.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

Luckily for Will11 I think the typhoon will drop to a 1 or 2 by the time it gets to Hong Kong.

Also, posted the story, it's ridiculously short (less than 100 words). I do like it though, I tried to write several layers into it.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

It's now just classified as a tropical storm. They're saying the big thing is it's just going to be raining a lot for the next few days which might cause the flooding issues. The area I live is like on the border of NC/VA and the water levels aren't supposed to be too bad there (or at least not as bad as there are further south) so hopefully that will remain the case.

Anyway, yeah still at the hotel. It's an okay hotel, it accepted the dog. We're leaving tomorrow, so I guess I'll see how good (or ungood) everything is then.

Hurricane Florence

5 years ago

Finally home and apparently Florence didn't do shit to this area. The worst that happened were the places near the river flooded over a bit and that's pretty common when it rains a lot.

It wasn't even raining when I got back, though it's supposed to still do a little of that later, nothing excessively bad though.

In any case, I'd say I left for nothing, however I legitimately had an excuse to avoid working for several days, so on top of not dying and the house still being intact, chalking that up as an extra bonus.