Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Its hard to get people to read CYOAs

5 years ago

I've been desperately trying to get some of my friends to read some of the story games on the site (particularly EndMaster's Eternal - by far my favorite!) buuuuut none of them are interested.

I'm going to probably start writing some smaller stories on here, to be honest. I haven't done anything like that, really (except for my embarrassing story I wrote three years ago and still haven't finished). Maybe that'll be enough to bring them here!

Only time will tell.

In any case, wish me luck!

5 years ago
There's people who read for fun, and people who only read things when forced to by their school and so have never encountered any stories that are fun and on some level seem to believe they don't exist. But even if your friends are in the latter category, something you write might interest them and from there they might check out other stories or attempt writing their own.

If it's a story that's especially injokey or otherwise only intended for them, you don't have to publish it and open it up to public comments, you can just leave it in Sneak Peek (in the Storygames settings, but it should be checked by default when you create the game) and share the URL with them.

Anyway, good luck. The Writing Workshop is the place to go if you have any specific writing questions or need feedback or advice.

5 years ago
It can be hard, yes. Perhaps you just need some different friends who know how to read.

5 years ago
It sucks that your friends aren't all that fond of reading. Unfortunately, most people are like that.
Perhaps you're just trying with the wrong story though. Personally I had a lot of success with convincing people to read Love Sick. Maybe your friends would like that better, too? :)

5 years ago

Yeah, good luck. Non-readers will never take a book or in this case, CYS recommendation. Barely anyone I know actually sits down and read. At the very least, they'll look into the audiobook version. Try again once Eternal makes it to Audible. On that subject, which actor's voice do you think would fit to narrate it? Anthony Hopkins comes to mind for me, although someone with a grittier voice might fit better. Can you imagine Samuel L. Jackson doing it? Beg, die, or struggle, Motherfucker? Liam Neeson has a good voice, but he's usually busy chasing black guys with baseball bats. On a more serious note, I think Bruce Willis would also be good. 

Edit: font.

5 years ago
Honestly, if they won't read his stories...

You need to evaluate if these friends are even worth having.

5 years ago
He should join a book club or volunteer at a library or something if he wants guaranteed reading friends.

5 years ago

That's not actually a bad idea, never occurred to me to do that, haha