Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

How would I transfer a path that has been chosen..

4 years ago

Title: How would I transfer a "path" of the story that has been chosen into another installment of that game, that would continue on that path?

Originally, I was going to just input the variations with hyperlinks if I decided to transfer the player's significant choices into another storygame. It would look awkward and out of place. Even if I chose to do it like this though, obviously a player could just cheat and select a different hyperlink, rather than select their own corresponding path they ended with. However, I just recently finished Avery_Moore's The Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost, which for reference, recorded your significant choices at the end of the story. I would assume that meant Avery intended to carry over the indicated path into another installment.

Is this possible? If so, how would I accomplish this?

4 years ago
I suppose you could give the player some kind of code to punch in that would set the variables, or just use the honor system and ask them.

But that's all pretty tedious and unless you're talking about a game that's just huge, there's not a lot of reason to break it up into parts in the first place. Multi part stories of anything tend to get less readers with each installment, because it requires more and more dedication from new readers to get to the point they can even start the newest story.

4 years ago

That's okay. I am mainly writing for myself first, others second. I would like to be able to enjoy the story as well, which is usually how I motivate myself to write when I don't exactly feel like it. Also, yes, I do currently plan on making it a lengthy story.

4 years ago

I really wouldn’t recommend breaking your story into installments. In general, it really worsens the experience. There’s no rush to publish. Get the story finished properly and then publish it.

4 years ago
I would agree with the other's mentions here. It can be done, but it can be difficult, and it's often not worth the amount of effort you're going to have to put in to make it work. You can look at this article for an idea of what's required. You could use that to make a person enter a code and see if they've entered the correct code.

As others have mentioned, this is really only worth it when you're doing something really unique and longer. I know you mentioned you're writing something long, but unless you've got two stories that are over 75,000 or so words, your stories will certainly be more accepted here if you just write one story and include all the paths and directions in that one story (and yes, I saw where you're writing for yourself, but anything you publish here will be public and members of the site will provide you with feedback on it).

Good luck!