Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Ratings outside the standard deviation?

3 years ago

This is a bit of a technical question. I'm curious about what this line about ratings means:

> additional factors are considered, such as a higher weight on member ratings and an exclusion of ratings outside the standard deviation. 

So that'd obviously be the 1's and 8's. But how specifically are they "excluded"? Are they just not counted or what?

3 years ago
we don't know and nobody will know. there have been ways devised to reverse engineer the equations but it requires too much effort.

edit: actually I'm living in 2014. these days we have people with access to the code who aren't as big of a faggot as 3J so maybe we could get an answer

3 years ago
@Killa_Robot

What size of faggot are you?

3 years ago
You say this like the way he did it was straight forward. There's like 3 different DB tables used and it translates the data every time it moves it around. I tried to look at it before but sighed and decided I should just consider it magic since aint nobody got time for that.

3 years ago

Yeah this rating system is very odd. Looking at my story right now, if we add together all the scores, we get 183, then divided by the number of ratings (28) we get 6.53. My story's currently sitting on 5.9.

Meanwhile a random story I took for comparison has the sum of scores at 97, divided by the number of ratings (17) we get 5.7, yet the story's sitting on a 6.5 rating.

Is there even an approximate guess how it's being done?

3 years ago

Nope. Even JJJ who came up with this overly complicated system looked at it during one of the last times he actually did things here shrugged his shoulders at what he did in the first place.

3 years ago

Looking at your Eternal, it has the sum of ratings at 83103, divided by the number of ratings (12649) we get a 6.57, yet eternal is at 7.29 (not that it doesn't deserve it, best story I read, it's like 2/3rds the length of the entire Harry Potter series). Black Magic indeed.

3 years ago
the math you're doing is so far off I don't even know where to begin

3 years ago
^

3 years ago
All ratings are not weighted equally. The less important you are the less you matter. That part at least is done right.

3 years ago

That's actually really cool!

3 years ago
That and only a person's last rating counts, no matter how many times they have rated a game.

3 years ago
Oh yeah, forgot that one. So that means the numbers you're looking at are literally meaningless. I could rate a brand new story a 1, then read it again, rate it a 2, and so on until I've read it 8 times and given it 8 ratings. The ratings page will show 1 of each of the 8 ratings, but the counting system ignores 7 of those numbers!

3 years ago

Is there a way you can change your rating on a game without rereading it?

3 years ago
Read? I thought we just clicked links on these things till the end popped up. Boy have I been doing it wrong!

3 years ago
This statement about ratings outside the standard deviation does not make sense, mathematically speaking. It would make results non-unique.