Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Blockhead - Another Shill in the Chain

2 years ago
Hi all !

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I've been reading chooseyourstory.com for a while, think it's a great place. Wanted to let you guys know that.

Since I was a kid, I would lose myself in Fighting Fantasy books by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone. (Mainly by skipping combat but having a blast with choice making).

A few months ago I thought that Web3 would be a perfect environment for CYOA games. So I got building.

I'll be launching https://blockstory.io soon. I was wondering if anyone would like to participate ?
I would love to offer a few free Genesis-Nodes if that rocks your boat. Or do a colab with chooseyourstory.com ?

Thanks!

2 years ago

I doubt if anyone here would be interested, but the founder of choice of games is looking getting into blockchain stuff and the IF forums tend to have a lot of people eager to collaborate. You could try those two places for better results.

2 years ago
That's great! Couple of questions though, the founder of choice of games ? And you're refering to the https://intfiction.org/ forums ?

Thanks !

2 years ago

Yeah the guy who's in charge of Choice of Games, CoG. They're getting into blockchain, NFTs, crypto, etc. All sorts of stuff like that. The community is really into it so you'll get lots of volunteers.

Here's the link https://forum.choiceofgames.com/

And yeah you're correct with your second question.

2 years ago
The guy that owns CoG also owns the Int Fiction forums now, it's all the same community.

2 years ago
Can you please explain the benefit of using blockchain for CYOAs?

2 years ago
Sure !

- You can collaboratively build your CYOA. https://blockstory.io/ is an intermediary
You might choose to write your own story, all by yourself, where you discard other proposals.
Or you might accept some proposal that you find intriguing and that Story-Node becomes theirs.
Of course, you can go back and propose on their Story-Nodes too!
https://blockstory.io/ facilitates the access of the smartcontract - but the data lives on the blockchain!

- Anyone can propose, anyone can read. But there's only one owner.
Mint a Genesis-Node you'll be starting a new CYOA book. You'll own the first Story-Node of that book.
Anyone can propose on your Story-Node. Including yourself.
Whenever a proposal is accepted, that proposal becomes a Story-Node and the writer is the owner.
Only the owner can accept proposals.

- Each Story-Node is a NFT
You are the owner of the Story-Node, the blockchain tech assures it.
You can prove undoubtfully that you own that Story-Node by owning the NFT
Because it is an NFT you can also sell it if you like or have authoritative responsibility (like accepting a proposal)

- Proposals pay dividends
Any proposal made must have a bid amount.
This protects from spammers and ensures that people writing it are putting their money behind their words.
When a proposal is accepted, the bid amount is divided up to 3 levels up - this is crucial. At max only 3 levels are paid, this avoids someone starting a book and sitting forever on profits.

- Immutable, free, uncensored
Anything accepted on the blockstory will be forever immutable, free (to read), and uncensored.
Even https://blockstory.io/ can't, or even force the owner to, change, retract, delete, a single word of the CYOA.

2 years ago
At what point did your brain get scooped out and replaced so that you became this inhuman thing?

2 years ago
NFTeez nuts, nigga

2 years ago
I think you'll find more animo at people already into the NFT chainblock business than at the IF peeps because aside from a lot of buzzwords and having to pay to write(?) I don't see any benefit over a site like cys when it's actually about writing than a quick buck.

2 years ago
I'm starting to see that it's hard to pitch blockchain tech outside of blockchain users.

And to an extent, I get it. It's new, information is not generalized, there's a lot of bad players around. I truly get it.

The main benefit is that you don't need a cys site to write the story.
Shit you don't even need https://blockstory.io. You can just interact directly with the smart-contract, blockstory.io is just a proxy.
On the flip of the coin, if cys is deleted all stories are deleted. Which doesn't happen on the blockchain.

2 years ago

Meh, my stories won't be deleted. They're saved in several places, along with some Russian hackers making them downloadable.

Anyway like I said, Choice of Games forums and the IF forums will be more receptive.

2 years ago
Given the site's been around since 2001, I figure it's got a better track record of continuing to exist than any blockchain, no matter all the theory behind it. It's kinda like the ancient pyramids in that way. And those'll be around for a good while

Also just clicked on your link, and couldn't get into it due to SLL or cipher improper configuration. Might fix that before going to other sites.

2 years ago
HOLY DUCK, you mean it's possible to create pages of text that link to other pages of text, somewhere that isn't this site?

THIS.

CHANGES.

EVERYTHING.

Astonishing to see that someone had finally solved the dilemma of how to create "backup copies" of writing too, that puzzle has been stumping entire civilizations since the days of cuneiform on clay tablets. With this kind of tecnological innovation, NFTs truly are the future, wow.

2 years ago
Since it's all the same to you I'll stick with pen, paper, filing cabinets, and chain. Hell, maybe I'll be a little adventurous and get myself a typewriter.

2 years ago
Ayo that's crazy that it will let us back up our stories, peep this though.

2 years ago
Blah, blah, blah. So how does any of this apply to narrative and game design?

2 years ago
In theory, it would be a bunch of people proposing ideas and headcanons while the author tries to keep up with writing both ideas from the request and his own ideas.

In practice, it would look like a really weird game of DnD with 6 people playing the same character at once while trying to use incompatible builds as the character switches into an absolute dumbass rogue, an all-loving paladin, a sociopath murder hobo mage every time he says or chooses something.

Realistically I think no one would pay and use crypto coins just to be able to do 1 choice in Interactive Fiction

2 years ago
I'm gonna make an NFT out of this, anyway I'm hardly interested in blockchains nor have any real strong knowledge on NFT's, but I have some questions.

"Anyone can propose, anyone can read. But there's only one owner. " so basically you write an IF that anyone can read and a person that gets interested in it can decide to propose a new idea/change? or am I getting it wrong?

"You can prove undoubtfully that you own that Story-Node by owning the NFT"- but can't the writer just write on the first page their name or something else that proves that they are the creator of said story node? or put in the synopsis, description or even title? doesn't that ruin the whole point of needing the NFT? also what would happen if your story gets plagiarized but you don't own the NFT and the plagiarist does? would it just automatically pick the plagiarist instead of checking who was the actual author?

"Any proposal made must have a bid amount. " so wait, if you have a suggestion or want something to change you have to bid against other people to make said changes and have to pay for it? because if it is then it's very counterproductive with people not wanting to bid money in an attempt to have their ideas heard, also isn't bidding money a form of gambling or something? and what if a teen/kid decides to bid their money to give the author an idea?

"Anything accepted on the blockstory will be forever immutable, free (to read), and uncensored. " OH BOY I SURELY CAN'T WAIT TO WRITE MY 379 PAGES BORDERLINE ILLEGAL KINK SMUT FANFICTION! also when you say immutable do you mean that after writing a page and saving it, does it mean that it's edit locked and you can't change anything on that page after you saved it? because if it is then what happens if it has a typo? does it just stay there forever?

Quite frankly I think you are barking at the wrong tree, the IF community don't really like the ideas of Nft's in general.

https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/i-hope-cog-never-goes-into-that-dreadful-n-f-t-nonsense/108207

This link is a thread on the Choice of Games forum which is arguably the largest Interactive Fiction company, and if you for some reason don't want to check it out then all you need to know is that there was a pretty big outrage against the owner after he said he wanted to make some Interactive Fiction books become NFT's and also had a writer leave the company for another one with some other people vowing to never write for COG, so I really don't think your idea could work.

Also, you said you were a long-time lurker but your profile says that you are a member since 1/8/2022, just be honest and say you wanted writers to your project, easier for everyone.

2 years ago

Way to ruin the joke.

The whole point was to get this fucktard over to CoG (or IF), so they'd get all triggered and pitch a bitch fit about NFTs/crypto/blockchain/etc. That was how we got the other NFT shill over there.

Of course if THIS blockchain shill wants to still go over there and make a thread, that's good too.

2 years ago
Oh shoot sorry, welp if you can delete my comment by all means please do it, but yeah he might go there (that outcry was like months ago, maybe they changed opinions and are more into that stuff)

2 years ago

Nah, I'm not that invested in the joke to bother to delete it, hence why I just did this post for future reference.

2 years ago
@blockstoryio

As a long time lurker, what's your favorite storygame and why?

2 years ago

@blockstoryio

I too want to know the answer. If it's a good one, then I'll consider using your dumbass website.

2 years ago
Seems like I touched a soft spot of the community - apologies for that.

Thanks for all the inputs.

/thread

2 years ago

Not really a soft spot so much as it's fun for us to mock random fucktards.

But if you REALLY were a long time lurker then of course you'd know that.

And besides, you never answered the fucking question of what story was your favorite on here.

2 years ago
We were so much nicer to him than CoG would've been, even then.

blockstory - A CYOA in the blockchain

2 years ago
You gave up because someone asked you what your favorite storygame was lol. Maybe you shouldn't have started your pitch off by lying.

But good luck out there, I really do feel bad for you and I hope if being a bug-eyed mandible clicking shill machine doesn't work out that someday you'll be able to remember what is it to be human again.

2 years ago
You never answered my question and Furry_Man's questions either.

2 years ago